• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FA won't hire anyone who will rock the boat or potentially cause upset/controversy. So once again it'll be a 'safe' pair of hands who will have no issue navigating group matches against Estonia/Faro Islands/San Marino, but will be completely out of their depth once they get to a tournament. Plus it'll provide a few months of 'inquiry' work for the FA Board after each tournament.

Which is a shame, as a lot of the players need a kick up the arse and a few home truths made public from time-to-time.

Who is the English Roy Keane equivalent?

The FA won't hire anyone who will rock the boat or potentially cause upset/controversy. So once again it'll be a 'safe' pair of hands who will have no issue navigating group matches against Estonia/Faro Islands/San Marino, but will be completely out of their depth once they get to a tournament. Plus it'll provide a few months of 'inquiry' work for the FA Board after each tournament.

Which is a shame, as a lot of the players need a kick up the arse and a few home truths made public from time-to-time.

Neil Warnock

The fact that people are talking about Sherwood and Howe shows exactly how dire the situation has become.

Exactly. But you never get the best coaches in international football anyway (except oddities like Conte) because if they are the best they can get much better jobs.

Uzzy

The fact that people are talking about Sherwood and Howe shows exactly how dire the situation has become.

Who was the last English manager to actually win something? Redknapp won the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008, but nothing really comes to mind after that.

Shame that Neville's stock fell so much after that disastrous spell at Valencia. That was the kind of bold move that I admire, but the actual managerial stuff wasn't too admirable.

Baleoce

Those two lads that manage Salford City. I'd pay money to see an England team talk with those two xD

salford-city.jpg

Gareth Southgate being favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson as England manager is "scary", says Harry Redknapp.

Hodgson resigned on Monday after England were knocked out of Euro 2016 in the last 16 by minnows Iceland.

But Redknapp said Southgate was only seen as a favourite for the job because he had won a "second-rate tournament" with England's Under-21s in Toulon.

"Why should he get it in front of Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce, who are proven managers?" asked the former QPR boss.

When it was suggested that Southgate knew the way the Football Association worked as well as the English "system", Redknapp responded: "Knows what system? The losing system? He knows the losing formula?

"I like Gareth Southgate, he's a great lad, but what's he done?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36648824

He's only saying that 'cos the dodgy fucker wants it for himself... even if it is probably true.

Why the fuck should the manager care how the FA operate anyway?

Make the players available, carry on trying to fix the youth structure, set up suitable friendlies, let me choose my staff, let me do my job. Done.

Let the pricks like Dyke piss about with the red tape.

tomtom94

"Don't pick Southgate, he's too inexperienced. Pick Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce!"

Fuck's sake. I don't want Southgate but if that's the best alternative Redknapp's got...

dealer-

"Don't pick Southgate, he's too inexperienced. Pick Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce!"

Fuck's sake. I don't want Southgate but if that's the best alternative Redknapp's got...

Give it to Mark Sampson, 33 years old, already been successful with the women's team.

Doc_Drop

Unfortunately, to corral the personalities of the England squad you need someone of authority and experience, or a recent ex-player that actually did things. Of recent players you could have a Gerrard or Beckham but neither have shown aptitude for management or seem to have any desire.

Unfortunately, to corral the personalities of the England squad you need someone of authority and experience, or a recent ex-player that actually did things. Of recent players you could have a Gerrard or Beckham but neither have shown aptitude for management or seem to have any desire.

Gerrard wants to go into coaching when he retires I think. Doesn't strike me as a future great in management though, but maybe he'll surprise me. I thought Hyypia would make a good manager, and he's turned out to be abysmal at it :(

Surprised Carragher never gave coaching a go, he used to revel in shouting at people for minor errors, then giving them the death stare when he himself fucks up :p

Last night was such a clusterfuck, I can't even begin to delve into what went wrong.

Doc_Drop

Like Giggs, I think the likes of Gerrard need to be understudies with experienced managers and really learn the craft. The traditional English manager is now clearly a dinosaur and we need European trained coaches in order to change to the evolving nature of football.

Kill3r7

Like I said earlier, Fergie makes too much sense but if the FA can't convince him then they should consider Bielsa. At least the football would be fun to watch. If it has to be an Englishmen then Big Sam will do. He has the ambition and balls to go out there and try to win a few games.

Addi

Fun factz: Only 650 people on Iceland didn't watch the game last night.

The Norwegian commentators yesterday:
- We are getting news that 99% of Iceland is watching this game right now
- wow, what is the last percent doing?
- I don't know, but that sounds like a number only North Korea can rival
- please, we are talking about real numbers here

FuturusX

Southgate's name shouldn't be in the conversation. He's awful and I doubt I'll ever forgive him for taking my beloved Boro down. Give it to Sam, Bruce, Pards or somebody else who has paid their dues. At this point they couldn't be any worse than Woy. Definitely don't want another foreign manager.

Why not? Who cares where he's from. Surely at this point what matters are results.

I can understand the desire to have someone that has deep understanding of English football, I get that but in think the greater priority is a manager that can get the team to perform on the big stage. Perhaps a proven international manager is the way to go.

PatjuhR

It's no suprise all the top teams in English football have a foreign headcoach. It says something. You have terrible coaches and should look from people outside of the country untill top coaches arive.

MrS

Banned
Why not? Who cares where he's from. Surely at this point what matters are results.

I can understand the desire to have someone that has deep understanding of English football, I get that but in think the greater priority is a manager that can get the team to perform on the big stage. Perhaps a proven international manager is the way to go.
Because I think we have a pool of good English managers who deserve the opportunity, either for England or for a top 4 club instead. Capello and Sven were proven International managers. Look how they performed.

It's no suprise all the top teams in English football have a foreign headcoach. It says something. You have terrible coaches and should look from people outside of the country untill top coaches arive.
How can the English managers prove themselves if they're not given an opportunity at a top 4 club - they are constantly ignored for these jobs. Reaching the FA Cup Final and keeping a shit team in the PL are both good achievements, as is getting promoted with Bournemouth and keeping them up on a shoestring.

stay gold

Foreign manager all the way for me. The list of English candidates is as uninspiring as can be and will remain that way until Premier League teams stop giving jobs to people with 30 year old views on the game.

PatjuhR

Because I think we have a pool of good English managers who deserve the opportunity, either for England or for a top 4 club instead.

How can the English managers prove themselves if they're not given an opportunity at a top 4 club - they are constantly ignored for these jobs. Reaching the FA Cup Final and keeping a shit team in the PL are both good achievements, as is getting promoted with Bournemouth and keeping them up on a shoestring.

I agree with that. But from my point of view you English always want succes from your national squad, so that's no place to introduce young inexperienced head coaches. We did that here in the Netherlands and it's never a succes.

So you are right, top clubs in the Premier League should give them a chance. Not the National team. But yea, foreign owners.

Kill3r7

Because I think we have a pool of good English managers who deserve the opportunity, either for England or for a top 4 club instead. Capello and Sven were proven International managers. Look how they performed.

You can't really believe this. The current crop of English managers is average at best. Not a single one of them can be considered a top 10 manager in the PL let alone the world. Also, if English managers want the top jobs in the EPL then they should manage and win in lower divisions or overseas. Rodgers for example was rewarded for his success at Swansea with the Liverpool. There is no way an inexperienced manager is going to get a crack at a Top 4 team as the stakes are too high.

Top EPL managers 2016-2017
Mourinho
Guardiola
Klopp
Wegner
Conte
Poch
Ranieri
Koeman
Bilic

knavish

You can't really believe this. The current crop of English managers is average at best. Not a single one of them can be considered a top 10 manager in the PL let alone the world. Also, if English managers want the top jobs in the EPL then they should manage and win in lower divisions or overseas. Rodgers for example was rewarded for his success at Swansea with the Liverpool. There is no way an inexperienced manager is going to get a crack at a Top 4 team as the stakes are too high.

Mourinho
Guardiola
Wegner
Conte
Poch
Ranieri
Koeman
Bilic

you forgot Klopp

MrS

Banned

Mourinho
Guardiola
Wegner
Conte
Poch
Ranieri
Koeman
Bilic

And you forgot Klopp.Edit: Beaten

These guys are stifling English managers and most of them got their jobs by having success in weaker leagues than the PL.

Also, if English managers want the top jobs in the EPL then they should manage and win in lower divisions or overseas

Howe, Pardew, Allardyce, Bruce have all had success in lower divisions AND some success in the PL - they don't fit in to any definition of 'inexperienced manager'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom