• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Harry Redknapp would have done a lot better than Hodgson in the last 8 years. Just saying. Some bitter FA execs did not want him.

The only person that can save the Engerlund team is Mourinho. Just give it to him part time.

faridmon

If your FA is smart ( LOL ), you get on the phone immediately and offer everything that Hiddink would want to coach England. He's great at making shite national teams quite successful.

You are a fan of Brexits aren't you?

If that is the best you can some up, then I am sure you want to see a troll England team last a tad bit longer.

Croyles

Cl_GLP_XIAEPF0A.jpg:medium

So since 1996 they have only managed to pass a knocout phase one time in 2002 and then get beaten by Brazil.

Sven not looking so bad now.

Kozak

Banned
I feel like Englands problem is they go into a game against Iceland with the mindset "we should beat them easily"

While other big teams like Spain, Italy etc. go into a game against Iceland with the mindset "we have to respect our opponent or we'll slip up"

Thats the vibe I get from this thread and the internet anyway.

I feel like Englands problem is they go into a game against Iceland with the mindset "we should beat them easily"

While other big teams like Spain, Italy etc. go into a game against Iceland with the mindset "we have to respect our opponent or we'll slip up"

Thats the vibe I get from this thread and the internet anyway.

Them beating Netherlands not once but TWICE and that a team far better than England, it should have triggered red flags for everybody.

By the way would John terry be young enough to play in the next world cup? We definetly need a good defender .

LAM09

Them beating Netherlands not once but TWICE and that a team far better than England, it should have triggered red flags for everybody.

By the way would John terry be young enough to play in the next world cup? We definetly need a good defender .

Holland were a mess in qualifying. They lost to Czech Republic twice and failed to beat Turkey (draw and defeat). Neither side got out of their group.

elty

I think those Spurs players simply bring their mindset to the Euro. On paper they are fine, but they lost all of their composure in desperate situation as seen in their last 5 or 6 games this season. There are no cool heads to calm them down. You just don't expect them to do well against the headwind.

Then you have the questionable starting 11 selection, puzzling substitution and the usual keeper howler just seal their fate.

Syder

I think those Spurs players simply bring their mindset to the Euro. On paper they are fine, but they lost all of their composure in desperate situation as seen in their last 5 or 6 games this season. There are no cool heads to calm them down. You just don't expect them to do well against the headwind.

Then you have the questionable starting 11 selection, puzzling substitution and the usual keeper howler just seal their fate.
I know Spurs choking is a very funny meme but let's be real, Spurs finished 3rd and took Leicester all the way.

Poor management got us knocked out of this tournament not Spurs.

Syder

So was that Gary Cahill, Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney's last appearances in an England shirt? I really hope the next manager has the sense to make Smalling & Stones our centre-back pairing for the future.

bjaelke

So was that Gary Cahill, Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney's last appearances in an England shirt? I really hope the next manager has the sense to make Smalling & Stones our centre-back pairing for the future.

Rooney at 30 isn't done with the national team. Will be leading them to glory in Russia.

casiopao

Man, yesterday have been the best day lol.

Italy beating Spain.
Iceland beating England.

The upcoming QF is going to be crazy here. Italy vs Germany is probably the early final of this Euro here.O_O

Floody

Rooney will be at Russia 2018 to see us safely out,
and going home,
of the group stage.

He's also said he's not retiring from international football yet too, and I doubt whoever the FA pick as the next manager would have the balls to not pick him.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-will-not-retire-from-international-football

Syder

Rooney at 30 isn't done with the national team. Will be leading them to glory in Russia.

Rooney will be at Russia 2018 to see us safely out,
and going home,
of the group stage.

He's also said he's not retiring from international football yet too, and I doubt whoever the FA pick as the next manager would have the balls to not pick him.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-will-not-retire-from-international-football
Wayne Rooney is an inadequate Striker and Midfielder. He's only going to get slower now. Can't wait to see him huffing and puffing and mis-placing passes in Russia
... and Qatar.

Linkyn

Luxembourg have 200,000 more people than Iceland... LUXEMBOURG. The fact that Iceland is as good as they are is incredible.

To be fair, it's not just a population thing. We don't have a professional national league or national team. You're bound to get half-assed efforts when your players still need to earn a living on the side.

Harry Kane is the worst set piece taker I've seen at a professional level and was easily our least effective man on the pitch.

Wayne Rooney had the worst game of his international career, which is a damning indictment given he's been shit for years. Shouldn't be a default inclusion in any team.

Raheem Sterling has lost the plot entirely for club and country. Why even start the lad when it's obviously going to make things worse for him?

Some of the managerial decisions were head scratching. Bringing on Jack Wilshere killed England's momentum and they never looked like scoring thereafter. Sticking with Kane taking free kicks, or only giving Marcus Rashford 4 minutes of play, is so fundamentally stupid I can't help but wonder if Woy had money on Iceland winning.

Yes, he fell on his own sword, but it was obvious Hodgson wasn't up to the job long before the Euros and should never have been afforded the leash.

I wonder if so many people will be hoping for Wales to lose against Belgium now. They voted to leave the EU too you know.

The English media does not speak for all of us. I don't know a single person who thought we'd win the tournament. Not one.

We should have done better than we did though. Much better. We should have come out of that piss poor group with 9 points. And my saying that isn't down to English arrogance, it's down to looking at each set of players and clearly seeing that we should, by rights, have the best team. Yet, down to piss poor management and a lack of leadership on the pitch, we only manage to scrape out with just one victory. And that one victory came about 10 seconds from time because the Welsh players were completely knackered after putting everything on the line for 90 minutes.

We get through though. Right. The best of these players will surely come through now. The manager surely has a plan here. We'll revert to a formation that actually suits the players. And, in truth, we get a bit of luck, because, and I dont care what the football hipsters say; anybody would prefer to face Iceland than Portugal, we draw Iceland. But no. The same mistakes are made. We have our best goalscorer out on the right wing looking completely lost, we have our main striker wasting every single set piece we get, we have...I mean the list here is endless so I'll just stop now for my own sanity.

The one thing that really pisses me off though is the squad selection. In all four games we played with two wingers, yet only one "natural" winger was picked. And, for me, Raheem Sterling is at his best when being played through the middle anyway. Where was Andros Townsend? Why take Ross Barkley? Just baffling decisions.

And I've said this before and I'll probably be saying it at the next tournament and then the next. Kyle Walker is a complete liability. Going forward he's fine but he's an absolute joke at defending.

Iceland completely outplayed us. In every single way they outplayed us. And that shouldn't be happening. This isn't arrogance, it's common sense. With the amount of money going into our game year in year out, this should not be happening.

spekkeh

Banned
Holland were a mess in qualifying. They lost to Czech Republic twice and failed to beat Turkey (draw and defeat). Neither side got out of their group.
Well, they fumbled in their first match against Czech Republic, but iirc that was a pretty even match (which is indictment enough for the WC semi finalist). It was only really after their second loss against a dominant Iceland that the camel's back broke, and then they just bizarrely gave up against Turkey.

jorma

is now taking requests
England should probably look into getting Lagerbäck for coach, he seems to be the perfect man to turn a mediocre squad into a team that is fucking hard to beat.

Best Swedish coach in the modern era, by a country mile.

Anticol

Banned
Why do people still rate England?
Their players are not on par of the best in the world, and the team even less, I know the press always hypes the national team but it's been 50 years since their last title. It is time to stop expecting they must win the tittle.

PatjuhR

I believe the commentator in my country said last night that a big group of that Icelandic team already played together at the age of 7-8.Awesome.

Kozak

Banned
Their players are not on par of the best in the world, and the team even less, I know the press always hypes the national team but it's been 50 years since their last title. It is time to stop expecting they must win the tittle.

English players are very over-valued due to the spotlight on the EPL.

It's kinda odd when it costs 10 million pounds to buy an average English midfielder when you can buy the next big star from elsewhere for half the cost.

casiopao

Whoever wins that
(Germany)
is going take the whole thing.

Whoever wins that or Iceland.

Hehe.^_^ I would not bet against Italy that easy there lol. I still remember how in 2006 and 2012, everyone bet on Germany and then reality drops lol.

I do feel suspicious here lol. Does Italy purposely makes their team had one of the worst reputation joining this cup to make everyone underestimate them here?(Of course also to make the odds on betting bigger on Italy lol. You know Italy had tons of those Cosa Nostra lolol.^_^)

El Topo

Italy are a big team, but their squad at this tournament is far from their best.

Absolutely, but they have a very solid squad and a great coach. No shame whatsoever in going out against them. No shame in going out against Iceland either actually, these things have happened to great teams before.

oti

Banned
Please. Spain have won more titles in the past six years than England in its history. They went out against a big team. That said, I wonder if Iceland might be this tournament's Greece/Denmark.

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS
🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸
🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷

eerik9000

England players are "good enough", it's that their Football Association is being run by idiots who among other stupidities keep supporting shit managers like Hodgson.

Kain

Please. Spain have won more titles in the past six years than England in its history. They went out against a big team. That said, I wonder if Iceland might be this tournament's Greece/Denmark.

Spain's image these last two matches (and last World Cup) has been deplorable and nothing has been made to change it. Yes, England has always this aura of being good when they've been pretty mediocre for like 50 years (marketing, unjustified hype, pride... you name it) but Spain is pretty much the same except for those 4 years where they won everything.

casiopao

I really can't believe now i am seeing people calling Italy as a big team lol. I still remember when we are starting this Euro, there are some people who argue that Italy won't even pass the group portion lol.

El Topo

I really can't believe now i am seeing people calling Italy as a big team lol. I still remember when we are starting this Euro, there are some people who argue that Italy won't even pass the group portion lol.

We Germans know not to underestimate Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom