• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

France 98-00 was unbeatable.
lol hardly. 1-0 against Paraguay? 0-0 against Italy? Had to have Thuram score 2 goals in one game to beat Croatia? Barely made it to OT against Italy in 2000? They were a solid team but they came close to falling short many times over.

Shito

lol hardly. 1-0 against Paraguay? 0-0 against Italy? Had to have Thuram score 2 goals in one game to beat Croatia? Barely made it to OT against Italy in 2000? They were a solid team but they came close to falling short many times over.
But they didn't. :)
And I didn't know only your striker was allowed to score for a win to "count". ^^

flozuki

Ronaldouche at his apex :

giphy.gif

Can't wait for his salty tears gif on sunday ...
It is not like the French cheer after a penalty (!!!) was any better.

Fistwell

But they didn't. :)
And I didn't know only your striker was allowed to score for a win to "count". ^^
They came close to being beaten in competition many times, therefore they were beatable (unbeaten!=unbeatable). Very, very much so. If you don't get how extraordinary it is that Thuram scored two goals in 1 game I don't know what I could tell you that could explain it.

spekkeh

Banned
France 98 only won because of home advantage, the easy bracket whereas Brazil was absolutely wrecked from their last couple of games, and Ronaldo having some nervous breakdown. If they win tomorrow they would've earned it more than 98.

Mimosa97

France 98 only won because of home advantage, the easy bracket whereas Brazil was absolutely wrecked from their last couple of games, and Ronaldo having some nervous breakdown. If they win tomorrow they would've earned it more than 98.

Zidane.

And the French team was world class (every player made was playing in a big club already or made it to a big club after the WC). We lacked a striker though but we still won fair and square.

And lol about the brazilian team. Look at the stats. We ALWAYS beat Brazil even when they've the better team. Always.

Addi

Watching France win in 98 was amazing for me as a kid, but the team wasn't perfect, fucking Givarch was in a starting 11 of a world cup final...

I really hope we win tomorrow so we can finally get rid of this post-Zidane syndrome.

Its their own fault for not winning a game in the group stage and looking unimpressive in those games.

Unimpressive? We absolutely dominated every match (EDIT: in the Group Stage), even the game against Hungary with every deflection going in against us. But sure, you and everyone else can continue to believe that we were bad during those games, just unlucky.

Big-E

There's no 3rd place game?

Hasn't been since the 80s. Love it as I find third place matches stupid for football and other team sports. No one cares who is in third. The only time when it is acceptable is the olympics as they are all set up to recognize the first 3 teams/athletes so I am not as bothered by it. There is no third place game in the leagues or even really across other sports.

Fistwell

Watching France win in 98 was amazing for me as a kid, but the team wasn't perfect, fucking Givarch was in a starting 11 of a world cup final...
Hate to be the contrarian jerk again, but Guivarc'h was an oustanding striker back then. He came to the world cup after two spectacular D1 seasons at 20+ goals. I still remember some of these goals.

But, yeah, he achieved absolutely nothing at the WC and that was pretty much the end of him (except for another successful late season with Auxerre). It's unfortunate something went wrong at that point in his career, because he most certainly had the skills. And let's not pretend he was any worse then futtbuck, drooling fuck-tard Dugarry, who only made the team because he was BFF with Zidane and Liza. (yeah yeah, he did score one and Guivarc'h none)

Big-E

Unimpressive? We absolutely dominated every match, even the game against Hungary with every deflection going in against us. But sure, you and everyone else can continue to believe that we were bad during those games, just unlucky.

Calling Portugal dominant in their group or even in the Croatia game is fucking laughable. Without the rule change, they shouldn't have even gotten out of the group. Saying they dominated finishing in third place is the biggest joke I have ever heard in relation to this tournament and we had fucking Zaza.

Tugatrix

Fernando Santos told the press the thing he would love to read monday is "portugal won with out deserving", he told he would a happy man

LAM09

Credit to Portugal is never given, there's always an excuse, "they didn't turn up" AKA Portugal shut Croatia down.

Of course they deserve credit and I'm not discounting that. They have beaten (3 out of the 6 teams) that were in front of them and deserve to be in the final, despite it not being the most pretty to watch. ;)

Big-E

Can't wait for Portugal to win and shut up all the haters

As with Greece in 2004, it won't shut up anyone. 12 years later and people still shit on Greece for winning. That's what happens when you only win one tournament by a little luck. People will shit on you.

Calling Portugal dominant in their group or even in the Croatia game is fucking laughable. Without the rule change, they shouldn't have even gotten out of the group. Saying they dominated finishing in third place is the biggest joke I have ever heard in relation to this tournament and we had fucking Zaza.

A few things, i meant dominant in the group stage (should've been clearer), and the rule change argument is stupid, if it didn't exist the games would've gone differently.

Addi

Hate to be the contrarian jerk again, but Guivarc'h was an oustanding striker back then. He came to the world cup after two spectacular D1 seasons at 20+ goals. I still remember some of these goals.

But, yeah, he achieved absolutely nothing at the WC and that was pretty much the end of him (except for another successful late season with Auxerre). It's unfortunate something went wrong at that point in his career, because he most certainly had the skills. And let's not pretend he was any worse then futtbuck, drooling fuck-tard Dugarry, who only made the team because he was BFF with Zidane and Liza. (yeah yeah, he did score one and Guivarc'h none)

Okok, I actually started watching football with the World Cup 98 when I was 10 so my impression of Guivarc'h was that he was pretty lame, especially when the entire schoolyard wanted Anelka instead, haha.

Big-E

lol what? No, Portugal was dominant in those matches and should've won, just lacked a bit of luck, just search for the stats for those games, you'll understand what i mean.
You said if the rule change didn't exist, the game would have played differently. I take that to mean that you think Portugal was playing for ties as that is what happened. How does no third place team go through make them win games if they were not playing for ties?

Addi

I don't think one should judge a team by it's group stage performances too much. Of course it counts, but France also had difficulties. Teams that win cups like these often struggle a bit in the start and sort of get better throughout. I think France are favourites, but they will not crush Portugal by any means. You never know if Ronaldo will go insane either. (holy fuck this posts sound like something a player at press conference would say, lol)

Fistwell

Okok, I actually started watching football with the World Cup 98 when I was 10 so my impression of Guivarc'h was that he was pretty lame, especially when the entire schoolyard wanted Anelka instead, haha.
More than fair. Converely, I was an Auxerre fanatic and also happen to be from Brittany (like Guivarc'h). So it's possible I'm not a 100% objective. ;D

Nevertheless, fuck Dugarry!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
As with Greece in 2004, it won't shut up anyone. 12 years later and people still shit on Greece for winning. That's what happens when you only win one tournament by a little luck. People will shit on you.

considering that portugal has been the most consistent team at the euros since 1996 (only one to make it to the quarters every time), and have made it to the semi-final three out of the last four tournaments (winning two of those semis), that is a pretty silly thing to say. when you make it to the late stages of a tournament on such regular basis, it would be complete nonsense to write it off as a fluke if they actually do end up winning one.

Berto

Greece won fair and square and I'm Portuguese. People discredit defensive strategies too much (compreensibly, its less spectacular) but Greece defended perfectly I can't even remember a goal oportunity for Portugal in the final, a team with Figo, Ronaldo, Rui Costa and Deco. People shit on them because Greece is an historically low tier team. It's easy to shit on them.

Firemind

Dat 2006 team tho

France was fourth at the qualifying stage when Domenech begged Zidane to come back from retirement. Proceeded to finish first in the qualifying group. Bossed Spain in the quarters. Beaten Brazil and Portugal on the back of Zizu.

Fistwell

Dat 2006 team tho

France was fourth at the qualifying stage when Domenech begged Zidane to come back from retirement. Proceeded to finish first in the qualifying group. Bossed Spain in the quarters. Beaten Brazil and Portugal on the back of Zizu.
I remember Henry's goal off of Zidane's free kick as if it was yesterday. *manly tear*

Funny how Ribery was not such a team cancer back then.

I don't know. Croatia was one of the better teams in 98. Italy and Paraguay were pretty good too.

Greece took home the cup. That's the only thing that matters

In fairness, Greece won it on hard mode:
- the hosts twice (including the final)
- the defending champions
- the favorites in the semi final

You need a bit more than luck to get through that.

Big-E

considering that portugal has been the most consistent team at the euros since 1996 (only one to make it to the quarters every time), and have made it to the semi-final three out of the last four tournaments (winning two of those semis), that is a pretty silly thing to say. when you make it to the late stages of a tournament on such regular basis, it would be complete nonsense to write it off as a fluke if they actually do end up winning one.

No one cares unless you win. Ask the Dutch or ask the Spanish how they felt before winning something.

Sunday is going to be a salt fest - no matter who wins ...

Seeing folks Questioning prior titles is always amusing and it is just a taste of things to come already.

I think the hero of the game is going to be someone unexpected ... But let's see who is the real deal tomorrow.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
No one cares unless you win. Ask the Dutch or ask the Spanish how they felt before winning something.

everything you and i posted was based on the assumption that portugal somehow wins tomorrow. that is why you were whining about greece.

i also feel that people for whatever reason are rather unfairly lumping portugal among the top european teams when it comes to expectations. it's a country with 10 million people, 7 million fewer than the netherlands. the fact that they are consistently competing with the top dogs of europe is impressive in itself, even if they haven't sneaked a win ala denmark.

IceCold

Seeing the hate that Portugal is getting is quite something. Either online, here and reddit for example, or in the media, such as when the French media referred to the team as being dégueulasse, ie, disgusting. I hope Portugal wins just to see all the salt. Should be enough to produce tons of delicious presunto. Would be nice to see a living legend such as Ronaldo finally get an international trophy too. He usually does good when people hate on him so hopefully he won't disappoint tomorrow.

Also France might be playing at home, but Paris is the city with the most Portuguese people after Lisbon and Porto, so they will have more than their fare share of support.

Amanhã o povo português vai comer uma boa francesinha.

Até os comemos caralho!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom