• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiberius

And yet they're in the final.

Why so salty?
I'm not the one saying a team is garbage
But a portugal fan saying france team is garbage lol there's a saying in france : c'est le camembert qui dit au roquefort : tu pues ! (that's the camembert saying to the roquefort you smell !)

kromeo

Pogba reminds me of Cavani, he gets linked with huge money moves but every time I see him play he never looks anything special. Must save all his best performances for when I'm not watching

Alx

I'm not the one saying a team is garbage
But a portugal fan saying france team is garbage lol there's a saying in france : c'est le camembert qui dit au roquefort : tu pues ! (that's the camembert saying to the roquefort you smell !)

Up in the North we use a variant with Maroilles. Much better. :D

Wasn't able to get on GAF yesterday, but reading the last pages... jeez guys, get a hold of yourselves. I don't remember seeing so much dishonesty and salt here, even for Portugal.

y u haff to be med

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't France the top scoring team this Euro?

I must say, I'd prefer watching France over Portugal.

They are and by a decent amount. I mean that Iceland match was entertaining for the shock alone, never imagined they would score 4 goals within the first half. Portugal games tend have an absolute bare minimum of goal outside of rare exceptions

Addi

Isn't France the top scoring team this Euro?

Yeah, They were top scorers even before the Germany game, now they have 13 goals and three players in the top 4: Griezmann 6 goals 2 assists, Payet 3 goals 2 assists, Giroud 3 goals 2 assists. Ronaldo is in second place with 3 goals 3 assists.

EDIT: and lol at people complaining about France "stealing" the Icelandic celebration (especially on Twitter). Even Pobga posted a video from yesterday's clapping and thanked Iceland for an inspiring celebration. In a Euro that started with fights and trouble, it's cool to see how much better things have turned out in the end.

MrS

Banned
You sound a bit mad. Did you cry yesterday?
Really thought Germany would do it before Bastian's stupid error. They looked really assured but I guess not having a striker bit them in the ass in the end.

HAHA serious question though... Have you watched any of their matches prior to this tourny? Or even IN this tourny?
My opinion is beyond reproach from somebody with an England/Sturridge avatar.
Yeah the team which finish 3rd in his group and which got a draw with iceland is better...
Just for ronaldo's rant about iceland they merit to lose
Ronaldo's rant was spot on. They had a loser mentality which is why they're out of the tournament.

To7ckJ2.jpg

I don't think you can put the sole blame for the second goal on him when he gets a bad pass in the penalty box with several French players around him.
It's his first big season, it's really not surprising if he screws up from time to time. None of us were claiming otherwise.

Sure you can. It was a sloppy first touch and his idea was: "He thinks I'm going that way but instead I'll be going... AWWHhh shiiiiit". There was enough time to directly pass it to Mustafi who moved in position for a clearence after such a pass or keep going with the ball the direction was going anyway, to the sideline.

I understand that he's still learning, but I was always of the opinion that he should not be learning during the EURO. Make mistakes all you want with Bayern in the Bundesliga. They have enough of a lead anyway.

El Topo

DerZuhälter;209461663 said:
Sure you can. It was a sloppy first touch and his idea was: "He thinks I'm going that way but instead I'll be going... AWWHhh shiiiiit". There was enough time to directly pass it to Mustafi who moved in position for a clearence after such a pass or keep going with the ball the direction was going anyway, to the sideline.

Sole blame on Kimmich? Not at all. Most blame? Sure.

DerZuhälter;209461663 said:
I understand that he's still learning, but I was always of the opinion that he should not be learning during the EURO. Make mistakes all you want with Bayern in the Bundesliga. They have enough of a lead anyway.

It's not as if we're drowning in alternatives.

CassSept

I'd understand all the 'salt' comments if Portugal played a legitimately great tourney and people were envious they're in the final. But that's clearly not the case here. Portugal played a terrible tournament for a team that made it into the finals. Worse than Argentina in 2014, worse than Spain in 2012 (they woke up just in time to brilliantly win the final but their road to the final was sleep-inducing). You deserved being in the final in 2012. You don't deserve that now. If you do win it, it's 2004 all over again and this time you're the Greece.

DerZuhälter;209453155 said:
I told you I'll come back for you Bla didn't I?

Bayern fanboys El Topo and Jack cw were just as wrong as you about him, hell the entirety of german media was wrong about him if that's any consolation.

Pimp, pls. Don't feel high and mighty because you predicted for Kimmchi to fuck up.
(...)

Now, without Hummels and possibly without Khedira & Gomez we're most likely fucked vs. France (Island is fun and all, but it's going to be France).
Löw is probably going to go back to the standard formation, replace Hummels with Höwedes (who will probably do well), but Löw will also start Schweine and replace Gomez with either Götze or Müller. This will hamper our ability to score (& cause a ruckus in the box) and make our midfield porous.

Pls call me the football prophet. Thanks.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'd understand all the 'salt' comments if Portugal played a legitimately great tourney and people were envious they're in the final. But that's clearly not the case here. Portugal played a terrible tournament for a team that made it into the finals. Worse than Argentina in 2014, worse than Spain in 2012 (they woke up just in time to brilliantly win the final but their road to the final was sleep-inducing). You deserved being in the final in 2012. You don't deserve that now. If you do win it, it's 2004 all over again and this time you're the Greece.

the "salt" talk is mostly the result of exactly this kind of nonsense about who deserves to win.

if you beat the host of the tournament in the final, you deserve to win.

jts

...hate me...
And that would be just excellent. Being Portugal in 2004 didn't pay off. Or in 2000, 2006, 2012. The team certainly deserves to try their hand at being Greece now.

Being a real winner beats being a moral winner

every

single

day.

That being said, it will be a very hard task so rather not speak about it in those terms.

Oersted

Portugal was horrific to watch.

Portugal was incredible lucky with the group.

Portugal was incredible lucky with the third place rule.

Portugal was incredible lucky with the bracket.

Portugal deserved the wins.

Everyone happy now?

Pimp, pls. Don't feel high and mighty because you predicted for Kimmchi to fuck up.

Pls call me the football prophet. Thanks.

No I don't feel high and mighty at all. I felt like the guy with the "Rapture is upon is!" cardboard around his neck for the last 3 weeks cause most were hyping the shit out of Kimmich.

Considering yesterday I must admit I didn't see France's type of play coming. I really expected we would see what happened in the first 10 minutes, the lack of order and a heavy contest midfield with a lot of fights for 2nd balls, the entire game.
Instead France opted to go for the Atletico Madrid style. It was smart.

EDIT: though midfield wasn't porous at all, since France didn't contest it, but rather skip it in fast counters. So not 10/10. 7/10 because you didn't see Can coming on.

The salt over the PK and refereeing in general was out of fucking control.
I wasn't that salty and I think the PK was fine. I'm probably more annoyed with the ruleset than the referee. Doesn't really feel fair to award a PK when the ball would have hit Schweini's body anyway and wasn't going to come close to the goal. In my mind a PK should always be the reward for a clear missed chance at a goal, which wasn't really the case here. But it's whatever now anyway :p

Firemind

But Greece actually won their games.

jts

...hate me...
Portugal would have been lucky with the 3rd place rule if it was implemented after the fact, which it wasn't. As it stood, it was clear beforehand that 3 ties would give a good chance to any team of being a best 3rd, because it means you didn't actually lose any game.

Different stages of the tourney have different rules and you don't have to excel at all of them to win it in the end. You play for your needs accordingly, starting from qualification, where you can even lose to Liechenstein at home and still win the following World Cup.

And if there's "luck" to be accounted for, everyone who have actually seen Portugal's games would say that Portugal was pretty "unlucky" with all of them, bar Croatia. Outstanding attacking stats and missed opportunities and freak goals conceded up the wazoo.

jts

...hate me...
That does not even resemble sense.
Yeah, it does. How can a team be lucky of a certain rule being in place when that rule was known beforehand and all teams played the tourney with it in mind?

By the same logic all teams going through in 2nd should feel lucky as well. What if only the group winners went through? Many group runner-ups have won major tourneys and they didn't even win their own groups.

It is an arbitrary decision made prior to the tourney being played, and it's fair game if all the teams play with the same rules. Everyone knew that the group stage would only claim 8 out of the 24. There's no luck in that.

Oersted

Yeah, it does. How can a team be lucky of a certain rule being in place when that rule was known beforehand and all teams played the tourney with it in mind?

By the same logic all teams going through in 2nd should feel lucky as well. What if only the group winners went through? Many group runner-ups have won major tourneys and they didn't even win their own groups.

It is an arbitrary decision made prior to the tourney being played, and it's fair game if all the teams play with the same rules. Everyone knew that the group stage would only claim 8 out of the 24. There's no luck in that.

You are seperating the luck from the other luck for no good reason.

Look at last WC. A strong team against Portugal at group stage and no third place rule. Portugal got destroyed by the good team and got kicked out despite having the third place and actually winning a game.

The first time Portugal will face a favourite this time is in the final.

My opinion is beyond reproach from somebody with an England/Sturridge avatar.

Such a whitty comment...

Are they not the highest scoring team so far in this tournament? I guess a young exciting offensive squad (that can score goals) is now considered crappy team. Nevermind they came from a stacked group bracket... nope none of that, still shitty.

Good to know, thanks for clearing this all up for us.

MrS

Banned
Such a whitty comment...

Are they not the highest scoring team so far in this tournament? I guess a young exciting offensive squad (that can score goals) is now considered crappy team. Nevermind they came from a stacked group bracket... nope none of that, still shitty.
U WOT M8

They're good and they deserve to be in the final. Still hope Portugal win.

Shito

France has the most goals because they had a good game against Iceland. They're not "Barcelona".
"France only has the most goals because they only score the most goals."
Whatever man. ^^
It's not like other "big contenders" like Portugal or England had their chance to do the same against Iceland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom