• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with Greece in 2004, it won't shut up anyone. 12 years later and people still shit on Greece for winning. That's what happens when you only win one tournament by a little luck. People will shit on you.

No one cares unless you win. Ask the Dutch or ask the Spanish how they felt before winning something.

Ok, so no ones cares unless you win. And if you win, people shit on you...

That's some crazy logic right there...

Big-E

Ok, so no ones cares unless you win. And if you win, people shit on you...

That's some crazy logic right there...
Winning is vital. Winning impressively is even better. Wouldn't be having these discussions if Portugal with a better team didn't choke in 2004.

Big-E

it's not choking when you lose to the same team twice in the same tournament.
At home in a final it is. I will concede if the odds were in favour at the time but all I see are British sites which I can't read as I don't know British how to read British odds.

Tubie

Tomorrow is win-win for me.

Either Portugal wins and we get a lot of salt from Portugal/Ronaldo haters, or Portugal loses and we potentially get a lot of new Ronaldo sad/crying gifs.

At home in a final it is. I will concede if the odds were in favour at the time but all I see are British sites which I can't read as I don't know British how to read British odds.
Czech Republic were the favorites for that tournament and even they couldn't even break down the Greece defense over 105 minutes.

Did they choke too?

F-Pina

As a Portuguese, it is of course great to see my country in the finals.
I can understand some of the bitterness and sometimes hate for the team being here. Our games were not the coolest to watch, the team managed to get through the stage groups with ties and then there is Ronaldo. The hate on this guy is understandable as sometimes he looks like a douche, but then you look closely and other times he looks like a genuinely nice human being. I personally think that this is just a guy that really likes to play football and honestly cares about the games he plays. That is why he gets all emotional and protests and even cries. How can you not like a player who is giving it all he has emotionally? Even if it just looks like sometimes he is a little kid in the middle of the field.

And playing a good game... does it really matter? Isn't winning all that matters here? Isn't this what football is all about? Isn't this why people watch it?
This is why I don't usually watch football. A good team playing a good game can lose, how crazy is that? Can't think of another sport where this happens. It drives me crazy and I hate it... except when it's my team :p

Anyway.
Hope for a good game between France and Portugal today. Good as in well played :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I never watched a final of a major tournament with such lack of involvement and emotions like I will watch this today. I practically don't care who wins. I hope it will be at least a spectacular game. Or spectacular penalties.

The joke is the only game where Greece was quite lucky and totally defensive was the semi-final.
Greece was better than France and Portugal in both games.

jts

...hate me...
The joke is the only game where Greece was quite lucky and totally defensive was the semi-final.
Greece was better than France and Portugal in both games.
I believe that winner of a game is always better than the loser, even if the winner played defensively.

But in what sense do you mean that? Surely you don't mean that Greece was more attacking, held possession with the ball and just dominated the game like that, do you?

They were better because they scored one of the their few chances, and defended really well.

Go_Ly_Dow

Portugal will be annihilated in the possession game. I feel this be a pure counter attacking operation from them. That could bite them in the ass if France manage to breakthrough first.

Tournament football is the ultimate test of a team's abilities. Greece were the best team in 2004. The beat team wins. Wins. Wins.

The best teams don't just create chances. They score them.

In football victory is measured by goals scored. That is the ultimate and the omega.

Coffinhal

I hope Portugal will play tonight and won't try to win over after the 90min or during the penalty shootouts.

Nevertheless France has so much luck and desire to win as a team since the beginning of the tournament (or even before, in march) that I can't see them losing tonight. This generation is now solid and the Stade de France will be on fire tonight. Sorry Portugal, you won't be 2016's Greece.

skny

I don't mind Portugal winning, Ronaldo is a really cool dude but I just can't stand the obnoxious fans that think he is the best footballer.

womfalcs3

Banned
I don't like when the host country wins any of the tournaments. I'll be rooting for Portugal. It'll also further cement Ronaldo status as a great player.

Unimpressive? We absolutely dominated every match (EDIT: in the Group Stage), even the game against Hungary with every deflection going in against us. But sure, you and everyone else can continue to believe that we were bad during those games, just unlucky.

Portugal plays absolutely unimpressive soccer.
Ofcourse i wouldn't mind my country winning a championship with unimpressive soccer but hey... unimpressive it is.

Not the worst soccer of the tournament. England and especially Russia were faaar worse.

I wouldn't mind Portugal winning. But i just hope that if they do, they do it with great soccer for once.

Melfice7

Portugal plays absolutely unimpressive soccer.
Ofcourse i wouldn't mind my country winning a championship with unimpressive soccer but hey... unimpressive it is.

Not the worst soccer of the tournament. England and especially Russia were faaar worse.

I wouldn't mind Portugal winning. But i just hope that if they do, they do it with great soccer for once.

Portugal played attacking attractive football in multiple euros and world cups, look where it got them

Addi

Portugal played attacking attractive football in multiple euros and world cups, look where it got them

But a question could also be if they are capable of playing attractive attacking football anymore and relying on cynicism isn't a choice?

Really hope my boy Kante wins it tonight. It would be especially incredible for him,winning the premier league and the euros in the space of 2 or so months.

Wvrs

Watching the final tonight in the centre square of a French town. Should be good. Scared for my life if Portugal wins.

Tugatrix

If Portugal win, the salt will be immense, do you realize how many times gaf told that every team would crush Portugal and in the end they won. So how sure are all of you that france will win.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
since i don't actually care who wins the final, i decided to spice things up with some degenerate gambling and put €20 on portugal. i picked them because i win more if they come though. can't go wrong with that strategy.

i always lose, though, so this pretty much seals the deal for france.

Corto

But a question could also be if they are capable of playing attractive attacking football anymore and relying on cynicism isn't a choice?

This style is definitely a choice. Anyone that knows Fernando Santos work shouldn't be surprised. And I'm glad we did make that choice. Look at Brasil that is still struggling to come to terms to modern football and have a little realism injected in their style of game. And that's why we'll win. Just enough is still enough.

Ekid

Everything is ready for the victory.
465501FFFbus2016.png

Tugatrix

We already did the unthinkable, so boys do your best if you happen to bring the cup home the party will be ready

Vamos lá cambada todos à molhada !!!

13641060_918426674946473_8566919627279630170_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom