• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"France only has the most goals because they only score the most goals."
Whatever man. ^^
It's not like other "big contenders" like Portugal or England had their chance to do the same against Iceland...

England, big contender, your having a laff mate. The team that went out in th group stages in the WC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That does not even resemble sense.

it makes sense because you cant say "lol Portugal wouldnt have gone through if there wasnt the third place rule" and assume all 3 games would have gone exactly the same way they did, with all teams in play, had that rule not existed. That assumption is incorrect.

Im not saying they would have gone through, who knows, but if there was no such rule, the teams would play differently, its as simple as that.

its why it annoys me so much (this is more of a club football thing than national) when people cry about penalty kicks not given.

"if we had that penalty kick in the first half we would have won 2-1"

no you wouldnt. I mean, maybe you would, but if you had that penalty kick when it was 0-0 amd you scored, the game is now a totally different game than the one that happened. It would create a new "timeline" if you want to get geeky (lol), you cant just take the same game and magically add another goal from a penalty and assume the rest of the game would be the same

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Thread title is bias

Where's the love for Ronaldo???

is this the kind of injusticia GAF is involved with now?!!!! I Protest!!!!

Tubie

Clattenburg assigned to officiate the game on Sunday

tumblr_o7wpw74le91tf8a5ao1_500.gif

He's ready for Pepe.

You are seperating the luck from the other luck for no good reason.

Look at last WC. A strong team against Portugal at group stage and no third place rule. Portugal got destroyed by the good team and got kicked out despite having the third place and actually winning a game.

The first time Portugal will face a favourite this time is in the final.

- We played 80 minutes with 10 players against Germany

- Shit coach

- Injuries

- Shit players playing

What about every tournament in this century besides 2014? I guess that doesn't count? We were in the group of death in 2012 and got out.

U WOT M8

They're good and they deserve to be in the final. Still hope Portugal win.

No worries, I'm pulling for France. It's a younger group who have their first real taste of a Championship. Hopefully they can pull it all together. Both teams have rather suspect defense, so the first team to pounce, can carry that momentum.

Should be an interesting match regardless!

No worries, I'm pulling for France. It's a younger group who have their first real taste of a Championship. Hopefully they can pull it all together. Both teams have rather suspect defense, so the first team to pounce, can carry that momentum.

Should be an interesting match regardless!

The Portuguese defense is not suspect, our back 4 + our midfield is extremely hard to score against..

Shito

Griezmann and German errors have been decisive yesterday.
You're trying really hard not to giving any credit to Pogba on that action, right?
Yeah he did a rather mediocre match overall, but on that goal he is totally decisive: he keeps the ball, buy some time for his teammates to come and be dangerous into the box, and he finds a way to make himself some room for a clean center while he was completely stopped and still. This was a great move; you can totally do a crappy match but have one action of pure class, you know...

Oersted

- We played 80 minutes with 10 players against Germany

- Shit coach

- Injuries

- Shit players playing

What about every tournament in this century besides 2014? I guess that doesn't count? We were in the group of death in 2012 and got out.

If you got a player who headbutts other people, jokes on you. Ask France.

VLiberty

just realized that it took Argentina to make Germany win something in the last 10 years

how many times did they get to semis/final without winning anything since 2002?
Great team(s) but they're either unlucky or not mentally strong enough

Congrats to Spain for being among the finalists

map-spain.png

rotfl

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any more progress on this potential Chile V Euro winner match?

I thought it was a done deal? Although don't see where it fits with clubs pre-seasons / seasons

Rooting for France. After all the misery that country had to endure last year, they deserve a success. And they're also the most socring team by far.

Portugal on the other hand has been a massive bore for most of the tournament.

CassSept

In the past four World Cups 3rd place matches were more exciting than finals since both teams have nothing to lose and go all out. Lack of 3rd place match is not necessarily a good thing.

In the past four World Cups 3rd place matches were more exciting than finals since both teams have nothing to lose and go all out. Lack of 3rd place match is not necessarily a good thing.
I'd rather have Weigl back three days earlier than having him play a pointless match at the end of a long season.

Sure, it may be interesting but let those players go on vacation already.

Berto

Grew up with my dad talking about that euro 84 semi final that we should have won, but we were too naive. I saw that euro 2000 semi final that we should have won but we faced the best national team I ever saw play.

Tomorow we will face a good team, but far, far away from the awesomeness that was that 2000 French team, also Portugal is nowadays a lot more cinical and not so romantic like in those days when we played beatifully but always chocked in the crucial moments. I'm cautiously optimistic for tomorrow.

I hope something big happens about Ronaldo. Either he scores Portugal goal and they win, or he plays very bad (for example misses a penalty) and France wins! Can't wait for a war between Messi/Ronaldo fans! :D

pbsapeer

Banned
Win £10 if Portugal win but I have £10 on France to win from before the tournament started.
Really like Ronaldo but vive la France

Shito

Grew up with my dad talking about that euro 84 semi final that we should have won, but we were too naive. I saw that euro 2000 semi final that we should have won but we faced the best national team I ever saw play.

Tomorow we will face a good team, but far, far away from the awesomeness that was that 2000 French team, also Portugal is nowadays a lot more cinical and not so romantic like in those days when we played beatifully but always chocked in the crucial moments. I'm cautiously optimistic for tomorrow.
France 98-00 was unbeatable. We probably never will have such a level of play anymore.
Tomorrow's match will be interesting, I'm confident France is a better team overall, but Portugal can very well bother us enough and with a good Ronaldo anything is possible.
The good thing is that whoever wins, there will be plenty of happy people in the streets. :)

LAM09

Can't see anything but a France win tomorrow. Portugal's first real test at these Euros and they'll fall just short.

Victorious on home soil for the third time.

jts

...hate me...
France struggled to beat Albania and Romania, tied with Switzerland and started the game losing to Ireland.

They did have a blowout game vs Iceland (which was bound to happen to Iceland, guts alone only take you so far), and yes absolutely they did beat Germany which obviously isn't a small feat.

But overall, even my worst pessimistic self can't think it's a no-chance tomorrow. Oh there is a chance, small or not. One game separates each of the teams from glory and I can't see any of them making the game easy for the other.

Shito

People tend to dismiss "lower tier" teams because of the history they have, but the truth is neither Croatia, Poland or Wales were easy opponents
Poland or Wales were good teams, but they were a really good draw for Portugal because they were not top tier teams either.
Croatia was a big contender, though, but it's not like Portugal outplayed them...

Hungary is the only match were Portugal showed some good things, and that's probably because they were forced to play because they were behind the score most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom