• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

Ramsey will be gutted no doubt, but.... we don't have to disrupt the system. Andy King can step up for us. He will be out to prove himself.

Horseress

Group stage was freaky, but Portugal was superior in every single game.

I get what you’re saying for someone who’s just been seeing the scores but not the actual games. Portugal missed penalties, had disallowed goals, balls on the woodwork, conceded 2 huge deflection goals in mere minutes, etc.

And no it was not 0x0 vs Poland.

Yep, it was 1x1, my mistake.

But still, I watched all their matches and I really don't think they were the better team in most cases. Maybe against Austria, but not that better.

Wales has got some very convincing wins, like in tonight's match

Aters

Bales vs Ronaldo. Now that Ramsey is suspended.

Wales is such a pleasant surprise. As a non-European, I want them to win the champion.

Can imagine exactly how Welsh fans feel right now and it is glorious. Felt the same way in 2004 and just like I Greece I hope Wales pulls it off. It's nice to see teams that everyone doubts come out on top. Make it happen.

AndyVirus

Lineker - an amazing achievement in British football.

Oh fuck off. It's welsh football.

Isn't it emphasising the achievement though? An amazing achievement for Welsh football was just qualifying for the damn tournament. But this is comparable to anything England have done for 50 years.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm gutted that we lost, but it was deserved. Wales was like 3 times the team we were. Now I hope they kick Portugal out.

We miss consistency. We play a weak match, then an outstanding one, then weak again... It really shows that in some scenarios the team is completely helpless. After Naingolan's class goal, we crumbled. So weird when you're ahead. Doesn't help that we miss 3 of the better defenders, but that can't be an excuse.

Courtois just spit hot fire on Belgian tv btw. He didn't call out anyone specifically, but he said that the same tactical mistakes from the Italy match happened again, he was very pissed off. Between the lines you could read he wants Wilmots out.

jts

...hate me...
Yep, it was 1x1, my mistake.

But still, I watched all their matches and I really don't think they were the better team in most cases. Maybe against Austria, but not that better.

Wales has got some very convincing wins, like in tonight's match
I respect your opinion, but this was the match against Iceland:

5yaSIGJ.png

Of course, stats don’t win games, and one time this tourney Portugal has been on the other side also, defending well and making the chances count: against Croatia.

Football is just like that. The only justice is whatever the teams can bring home.

I'm disappointed. Belgium has such great talent, and when they get going they really shine. More often than not, however, they're just wasted potential.

Congrats to Wales for that win, it's well-deserved. Please kick out Portugal next.

I'm gutted that we lost, but it was deserved. Wales was like 3 times the team we were. Now I hope they kick Portugal out.

We miss consistency. We play a weak match, then an outstanding one, then weak again... It really shows that in some scenarios the team is completely helpless. After Naingolan's class goal, we crumbled. So weird when you're ahead. Doesn't help that we miss 3 of the better defenders, but that can't be an excuse.

Courtois just spit hot fire on Belgian tv btw. He didn't call out anyone specifically, but he said that the same tactical mistakes from the Italy match happened again, he was very pissed off. Between the lines you could read he wants Wilmots out.

I've got nothing but respect for Wilmots, but I agree we could use some new blood.

Can they appeal it though?

I assumed they couldn't at first but according to this rulebook (it's a pdf) for the tournament, they can.

Regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship

Disciplinary Law and Procedures

Article 49 Protests and appeals 49.01

Protests and declarations of the intention to appeal against a decision by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body must be lodged in accordance with the relevant provisions of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, with the exception of the following deadlines being applicable to the final tournament: a. a protest must reach the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body within 12 hours of the end of the match in question; b. a declaration of the intention to appeal against the decision by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body must be lodged within 24 hours of notification of the relevant decision with grounds.

Horseress

I respect your opinion, but this was the match against Iceland:

5yaSIGJ.png

Of course, stats don’t win games, and one time this tourney Portugal has been on the other side also, defending well and making the chances count: against Croatia.

Iceland did just that.

Football is just like that. The only justice is whatever the teams can bring home

And that's why it's so glorious and beautiful

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm disappointed. Belgium has such great talent, and when they get going they really shine.

That's what makes this so painful. They show that they can bring great and attractive football, but against other setups they're helpless.

We'll always have the Hungary match :p

KxoZz

Great win for Wales. They are pretty much in the final imo; the way Portugal has been playing, Wales should easily beat them.
Hoping for a Wales v Iceland or Wales v France final

That's what makes this so painful. They show that they can bring great and attractive football, but against other setups they're helpless.

We'll always have the Hungary match :p

It's like watching two different teams. You could see some of that brilliance shining through occasionally, but it was like watching stars through storm clouds: few and far between.

Hedrush

I assumed they couldn't at first but according to this rulebook (it's a pdf) for the tournament, they can.

That's interesting, I presumed you couldn't appeal during a tournament either. Wales really should try to appeal Ramseys yellow then as he was quite clearly trying to get his arm out of the way. In no way did he intentionally try to handle the ball.

I'm disappointed. Belgium has such great talent, and when they get going they really shine. More often than not, however, they're just wasted potential.

Congrats to Wales for that win, it's well-deserved. Please kick out Portugal next.

I've got nothing but respect for Wilmots, but I agree we could use some new blood.

Wilmots deserves zero respect for his achievements with the national team. He's had 4 years to mold our national team into a coherent team and it was already clear before the World Cup that absolutely no progression had been made.

In the World Cup we got very lucky with the draw and even then we only had scrappy wins against third rate countries like Russia and South Korea. We played one good game against a defensively incompetent USA only to get knocked out against the first real competition.

Euro 2016 qualifiers the same story: easy draw but terrible games against Bosnia, Wales and Israel.

Wilmots' last credit was spent a LONG time ago and today is just another illustration of how utterly incompetent he is. We won't get another chance like this for a very long time and words cannot describe how fucking pissed I am.

Congrats to Wales though, you really deserved it today. Great spirit, great team cohesion, everything I hoped I would see from my own team.

Yeah, right, who gives a shit? It's only facts.

Not trying to take anything away from Wales at all.

For what it's worth, I get what you're saying. Welsh football as a pyramid league structure is shit, Barry Town v TNS isn't the stuff of dreams.

But Welsh football as just a concept, Welsh people playing football, is having the best time it's ever had.

For what it's worth I think Lineker's comment wasn't meant to hijack this win for "Team Britain", I think he just meant it as it's a massive thing to do for any team from the British Isles. He was married to someone from Cardiff, he's alright.

For what it's worth, I get what you're saying. Welsh football as a pyramid league structure is shit, Barry Town v TNS isn't the stuff of dreams.

But Welsh football as just a concept, Welsh people playing football, is having the best time it's ever had.

For what it's worth I think Lineker's comment wasn't meant to hijack this win for "Team Britain", I think he just meant it as it's a massive thing to do for any team from the British Isles. He was married to someone from Cardiff, he's alright.
I agree. As an Englishman with heritage all over the UK, I'm so happy for Wales. Me being happy isn't some bullshit attempt to steal a win. That being said, I'm also a Saints fan so I can't help but feel proud of our team in cultivating what is an amazing talent.

Syder

Agree 100%.

NateDog

This was my first time in years putting money on football and it was on Wales to get to the semis so I'm a happy boy, but honestly it's been great watching them away from that. This game was almost perfect, you have one squad with a ton of very talented individuals that are nowhere near a team, and you have another squad with togetherness and harmony and fight and a good few good players who are talented but not as good as the others, and how much it told. I was a little worried Vokes didn't start but it was clearly a great choice from Coleman, Robson-Kanu helped to stretch Belgium more and take the pressure off of their defence. Also 2 former Reading players having such an important role in the tournament for Wales is icing on the cake.

This was my first time in years putting money on football and it was on Wales to get to the semis so I'm a happy boy, but honestly it's been great watching them away from that. This game was almost perfect, you have one squad with a ton of very talented individuals that are nowhere near a team, and you have another squad with togetherness and harmony and fight and a good few good players who are talented but not as good as the others, and how much it told. I was a little worried Vokes didn't start but it was clearly a great choice from Coleman, Robson-Kanu helped to stretch Belgium more and take the pressure off of their defence. Also 2 former Reading players having such an important role in the tournament for Wales is icing on the cake.
I know this is probably cliched to all fuck by now but watching Wales reminds me of watching Leicester City. They have the heart and belief backed up by the strength of several good players. I know I may just be hyped after the win but I think they can win this whole thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think there is a clear favourite between Wales and Portugal. Maybe Wales based on form, but Portugal has more good individual talents, much like Belgium.

Berto

Portugal starting to get the underdog status, thats perfect for them tbh, less pressure more unity among the players thats what gives them strengh. If the foreign press starts to provock them I have no doubts Portugal goes to the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom