• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that has something to do with the tactics of Portugal aswell?

If I was Croatia I wouldn't play attack against them aswell. Portugal plays on the counter and I would not want to walk into their trap.

So Portugal should play very offensively to walk into the other teams trap?

Said it before, but I can't take comparisons to the 2004 Greece team seriously. This Portugal team actually attacks, constantly seeking a way forward, and provides entertainment with their efforts to counteract their incredible shortcomings (in all areas of the pitch).

The Croatia game is the only exception, and that was a specific tactic which was unfortunately cancelled out by a similar approach from their opponents.

Sorry to say this, but to me, pointing at the score and calling Portugal undeserving is either being shortsighted or purposefully obtuse.

PatjuhR

And to add to it, I think people are so harsh on Portugal is because they are almost every tournament considered to be an outsider for the title.

No matter what the circumstances and game have been. If you weren't able to win one game, you get critics.

Portugal played against Hungary, Iceland, Austria, Poland and Croatie and haven't won one.

Portugal will beat Wales tonight (in penalties) and tomorrow hopefully we France for the best finale. Would be fun having another Brazil game considering Portugal's defence is similar bad

Melfice7

If you were looking at this tournament from a neutral perspective, you'd be a bit salty too. What Portugal is doing now is similar to what Greece did in 2004. Remember that feeling, and you'll understand why some viewers are frustrated.

That's bullshit, Portugal isnt parking the bus, they attack but SUCK at finishing

I think what annoys a lot of people about Portugal is not their style of play at this tournament (whatever you may think of it) but their reputation as cheating buggers and 2 of their best players are also 2 of the most loathed people in football (Ronaldo and Pepe).

Portugal are a team most neutrals love to see fail, hence all the Ronaldo gif spam when they lose.

For what it's worth, I can't see Wales winning sadly.

Ansatz

That's bullshit, Portugal isnt parking the bus, they attack but SUCK at finishing

Portugal plays a very low risk, holding play style and the reason why they don't get pushed back into a bus formation by the other teams is because Portugal are dangerous on the counter, this leads to whoever facing them to also play it safe and this results in boredom for the neutral viewer.

Acheteedo

Come on Wales!

What they've done so far has me bursting with pride, but I will be crestfallen if the party ends today :( especially at the hands of fucking Portugal.

Corto

Absolutely hyped for tonight. I think this will be the turning point game for Ronaldo. Hope we won't go for extra time or PK shootouts so the winning team gets some rest before the Final. I also hope the team that wins this semi be the Champion. GAME ON!

And to add to it, I think people are so harsh on Portugal is because they are almost every tournament considered to be an outsider for the title.

No matter what the circumstances and game have been. If you weren't able to win one game, you get critics.

Portugal played against Hungary, Iceland, Austria, Poland and Croatie and haven't won one.

Germany wasn't able to win against Poland, England lost to Iceland, Spain lost to Croatia.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
ymKA1R1.png

just letting this here, for self education

Força Portugal!

It would be nice if Portugal could take the cup home this year, so I can tell all of those smarmy Euro 2004 commenters to fuck right off

VLiberty

As much as I like Wales and would love to see them in the final against Germany...I really cant pinpoint who will win this evening...it really is a 50:50...for tomorrow I see Germany as the favorite, although France got the home advantage...yet look back two years how much that helped Brazil against us
sorry, i had to do it...

Or how much that helped 10 years ago ;)
sorry, i'm still bitter from saturday

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I'ma go ahead and root for Wales. I hope they take it all.

It'll be Wales v. Germany in the final and Wales will win 2-1.
I hope i'm right.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Portugal games at this Euro have been utterly boring. Except the game against Hungary. Which was fun because of Hungary attacking.

Portuguese fans can post how many things they want, it doesn't change the perception. 50% of the attacking attempts have been Ronaldo trying to kick the ball in a meaningful way and failing. (and I don't hate neither Ronaldo nor Pepe because I'm a fan of Real)

I hope they get a taste of their own medicine tonight and Wales wins in penalty shootout.

smudge

Both the semi's have potential to be fantastic games. Can't really predict a clear winner either of them and it will just come down to who is better on the night.
I'm hoping for a Wales v France final though!

And Wales to win the whole thing
(I'm English)

I must admit, it's still kind of surreal seeing Wales in the semi's of a major tournament. I can remember when Wales lost 7-1 to the Netherlands and 5-0 to Georgia (yes, Georgia...) in the same year. Hell, even as little as 4 years ago we lost 6-1 to Serbia.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well at least one of Gaf's nemesis isnt playing tonight, Pepe is out

SHarris78

I really want to go the fanzone for the game tonight, but so far the one game I watched whilst out was the England game, all the others I've watched at home. If I go out and Wales lose, Wales-gaf won't blame me will you?

Alucard

Banned
I'm sure a different tune would be singing had Poland gone through, and frankly they were outplayed by Portugal to the point it was quite flattering for them to make to the PKs. Ronaldo missed sitters and you got lucky. Shouldn't have even made it to extra time.

And as it played out, for all the complains of a team trolling their way forward, it was the second PK shootout Poland had out of 2 knock-out games, the very maximum possible, and the highest of any team bar none.

Sorry for this splash of reality.

Nothing to do with Poland losing to Portugal, and everything to do with Ronaldo conducting himself like an asshole in this tournament, and Portugal underperforming to get this far.

The Greece comparison was more in terms of a team stumbling through to the finals, not in terms of style of play.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You good sir, have made my lunch that much better...

ironically he's been very subdued in his antics this tournament. And besides, if he doesnt play, you'll just get Bruno "Karate Kid"Alves anyway

Tubie

As a Real Madrid supporter, my heart is split in two today.

I will feel both extreme joy and anguish, no matter the result.

Corto

ironically he's been very subdued in his antics this tournament. And besides, if he doesnt play, you'll just get Bruno "Karate Kid"Alves anyway

Ricardo Carvalho could replace him too. Some online news have him as Pepe's replacement if needed. Bruno Alves is a time bomb on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom