• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croyles

Götze is a huge disappointment. His WC14 goal vs Argentina was a fluke.

I... what? I mean yes, he hasn't been good for like 2 years, but no that doesn't make his goal a fluke...
Let's not forget that he didn't start most games for Germany even during WC 2014. Not exactly sure what you were expecting.

I... what? I mean yes, he hasn't been good for like 2 years, but no that doesn't make his goal a fluke...
Let's not forget that he didn't start most games for Germany even during WC 2014. Not exactly sure what you were expecting.

So he wasn't good to begin with? Fair enough. But surely that makes his goal even more of a fluke? He offered no follow up on his legendary goal whatsoever. And what are the odds a mid 20s player improves so drastically that he meets the expectations initially set at early ages at Dortmund? Obviously, Bayern might just have too good a side but he can't even crack the German starting XI which frankly is not as strong as the Bayern side to start in, is it.

Croyles

So he wasn't good to begin with? Fair enough. But surely that makes his goal even more of a fluke? He offered no follow up on his legendary goal whatsoever. And what are the odds a mid 20s player improves so drastically that he meets the expectations initially set at early ages at Dortmund? Obviously, Bayern might just have too good a side but he can't even crack the German starting XI which frankly is not as strong as the Bayern side to start in, is it.

No? He was amazing while he was still at Dortmund and has been in somewhat of a prolonged slump. He's not good at the moment but I don't know how you can be 'surprised' and disappointing by him if you have followed any German football the last 2 years.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
with three players missing from germany (possibly four if schweinsteiger can't play?), this looks like a pretty good opportunity for france to end their terrible run against the germans. and based on some betting odds, they actually seem to be favoured overall.

still, they will probably manage to screw it all up and fail to save football from these dark times. shame boateng didn't snag another yellow for that handball.

with three players missing from germany (possibly four if schweinsteiger can't play?), this looks like a pretty good opportunity for france to end their terrible run against the germans. and based on some betting odds, they actually seem to be favoured overall.

still, they will probably manage to screw it all up and fail to save football from these dark times. shame boateng didn't snag another yellow for that handball.
I will collect your salty tears with pleasure

Baleoce

Racking my brains trying to think if Coleman is going to revert to 4 at the back or try to straight swap Davies and Ramsey. Guess we'll see soon enough. Either way, I hope Andy King (or Jonny Williams) is ready for the game of his life.

img_1066.jpg

Let's do this boys!!!

PatjuhR

Well either the Portuguese or the Welsh will be dissapointed today. Can't be both.

I still think Wales will grab this. If they sacrifice one or two players on Ronaldo I don't see Portugal scoring.

PatjuhR

Hopefully not jinxing it, but I'm pretty sure we (Portugal) are going to win this one.

Why do you think that? Or is it actually because you support Portugal?

Because after how they performed against Belgium and how Portugal is playing untill now, I wouldn't be so sure.

Why do you think that? Or is it actually because you support Portugal?

Because after how they performed against Belgium and how Portugal is playing untill now, I wouldn't be so sure.

Belgium's defence was atrocious, that won't happen with Portugal even if Pepe is out (the Hungary game was an outlier). Our midfield is also much more solid than Belgium even if they had the better players in theory, the major problem we have is finishing, Ronaldo is a bit off at the moment, could easily have a fuck ton of goals. We have a stronger team than Wales and we are far more organized than Belgium, i think we'll win it, though a victory by Wales shouldn't be shocking because they did in fact play good football in the past games, as well as being well organized. No Ramsey will cost them a lot.

Alucard

Banned
Portugal has played the poorest of the four remaining teams and they haven't won a single game in regular time. Frustrating seeing them this deep in the tournament. They're trolls, and their fans have and should embrace that.

PatjuhR

Belgium's defence was atrocious, that won't happen with Portugal even if Pepe is out (the Hungary game was an outlier). Our midfield is also much more solid than Belgium even if they had the better players in theory, the major problem we have is finishing, Ronaldo is a bit off at the moment, could easily have a fuck ton of goals. We have a stronger team than Wales and we are far more organized than Belgium, i think we'll win it, though a victory by Wales shouldn't be shocking because they in fact play good football in the past games.

But then the question arise. Didn't Wales shut them down or did Belgium himself do that.

I'd like to give some more credit to Wales for it and don't see why they can't do it to Portugal.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
spent at least a minute figuring out a clever title update before giving up

BlizzKrut

Banned
Portugal has played the poorest of the four remaining teams and they haven't won a single game in regular time. Frustrating seeing them this deep in the tournament. They're trolls, and their fans have and should embrace that.

A win is a win in football, if you're salty Portugal got this far, it's your fault.

Alucard

Banned
A win is a win in football, if you're salty Portugal got this far, it's your fault.

If you were looking at this tournament from a neutral perspective, you'd be a bit salty too. What Portugal is doing now is similar to what Greece did in 2004. Remember that feeling, and you'll understand why some viewers are frustrated.

If you were looking at this tournament from a neutral perspective, you'd be a bit salty too. What Portugal is doing now is similar to what Greece did in 2004. Remember that feeling, and you'll understand why some viewers are frustrated.
Except that it isn't. Portugal actually has more goal attempts than Wales. People are only looking at Portugal but the truth is that every team (except Hungary) has played very defensively against Portugal.
Even Croatia was way more defensive against us that they were against Spain. In every match, Portugal was the team who had more shots and created more danger around the goal.
So no, Portugal is not pulling a Greece.

How are they similar? Portugal has reached every EURO semi since 2000, when Greece won it in 2004 it was their 2nd major tournament qualification in their entire history. And if you're talking about style of play, the only game in which i'll concede that we just sat back was against Croatia, in every other game we went for the win.

Iceland: Very unlucky not to win with so many chances
Hungary: 2 lucky deflections for Hungary, 3-3 was a fair result nonetheless i guess considering how heated the match was
Austria: Very unlucky not to win with so many chances
Croatia: We just concentrated on not losing.
Poland: After the 1-1, we were far superior, eventually becoming the only team trying to win it.

PatjuhR

Maybe that has something to do with the tactics of Portugal aswell?

If I was Croatia I wouldn't play attack against them aswell. Portugal plays on the counter and I would not want to walk into their trap.

jts

...hate me...
I'm sure a different tune would be singing had Poland gone through, and frankly they were outplayed by Portugal to the point it was quite flattering for them to make to the PKs. Ronaldo missed sitters and you got lucky. Shouldn't have even made it to extra time.

And as it played out, for all the complains of a team trolling their way forward, it was the second PK shootout Poland had out of 2 knock-out games, the very maximum possible, and the highest of any team bar none.

Sorry for this splash of reality.

As much as I like Wales and would love to see them in the final against Germany...I really cant pinpoint who will win this evening...it really is a 50:50...for tomorrow I see Germany as the favorite, although France got the home advantage...yet look back two years how much that helped Brazil against us
sorry, i had to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom