• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

brentech

7vKkaED.jpg
I hadn't come across this till just a little bit ago. Was slow going for a decent bit, only to find out that construction closed the road down to one lane.
Decided to get a shot from external view.

Sye d'Burns

Yeah, a more "realistic" earnings mod might make the game more challenging long term, but I think for now I'm just going to enjoy the money and buy a whole crap load of trucks. And, instead of having money being a goal in the game, I think my new goal is to deliver jobs to every city in the game, and to drive on every road in the game. In other words, I want a map that is 100% explored!

And with the TSM map mod, that's a lot of map. I was at 70% explored, now after installing TSM Map I'm sitting back down at 32%.

I hear you. Before I installed the mod, I had discovered (though not delivered cargo to) every city and my map was a little over 50% explored, it dropped down to around 26 or so percent.

A slightly gamey way of discovering cities is to take a quick load at normal delivery speed and explore on the company dime. I had a delivery from Kiel to Birmingham which scheduled somewhere around 40 hours. I was able to rest up on the ferry ride over and explored all of southern England, with a second rest in London, and make it to Birmingham with 5 hours to spare.

I've been trying to resist the path to riches by growing slowly. I saved up around 230k before I bought my first truck. Then another 200k before I upgraded my home garage in Bern. Only then did I take out two 100k loans to buy a couple of Volvo rigs and hire a couple of workers. I paid those off in short order and now I'm debt free and considering where to start my next garage. I'm thinking Liverpool, Amsterdam or NE Germany.

I'm not sure I'm going to start the mod yet. The new map is fairly daunting. I may stick with vanilla a little longer and pull all the fun out of it before I expand.

I hadn't come across this till just a little bit ago. Was slow going for a decent bit, only to find out that construction closed the road down to one lane.

You're lucky that was at night. I sat at one of those for closing on 15 minutes around noon in the UK.

---

I really wish there was a way to set a custom way point in the game. So many times, I decide it's worth it to take the autobahn instead of the two lane road the GPS decides for me. and I have to plan my trip around the handy red line.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I found a closed road too, though it was during the day, and there were only a few cars there.

It's great to see stuff like that in the game.

I'm actually not a fan of the Realistic trailers. The Globetrotter XL logo is fucking hideou and makes the trucks look bad.

And then I;m driving this trailer with a awkwardly stretched BMW car on it. Looks so bad.

Or is that Real Companies mod?

I seriously find myself thinking about this game a lot today. What a fucking fun game. I can't believe it. It looks fantastic with SweetFX as well. I just can't believe I'm so into a simulator like this. Maybe it's scratching at my life long dream of being a long haul, coast to coast trucker.

For those who are surprised that you like this game I suggest you try other simulators, like Farming Simulator. It sounds sorta ridiculous but ends up being a lot of fun.

Card Boy

Banned
How do i set the throttle and break buttons on my Xbox Controller? It won't me assign it to LT and RT when i press them (no the controller ain't broken). Every other button works when i assign it.

Another evening spent delivering goods and equipment around Europe. I'm so addicted. The Netherlands are beautiful. I've only explored 10% of the map so far and now that I just installed the map mod, I only explored 5%.

brentech

Sounds like I should get the map mod.

No weird side effects from it?

Edit: it's only 1.47kb?
What is this witchcraft. Not on my PC, but that's what it shows now.

Milamber

Sounds like I should get the map mod.

No weird side effects from it?

Edit: it's only 1.47kb?
What is this witchcraft. Not on my PC, but that's what it shows now.

No, It's 1.5 GB unzipped. The actual files are split in two at 204 MB and 180 MB each. Register at the site and download it from there.

I thought I'd record a short video of me playing one cargo trip in ETS2 to show my bewildered friends why I was playing it.

...it ended up being almost an hour long. Whoops. Did not realise how much time passes when you're driving across Europe. Lol.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3jQzt31WP4

Yeah... I don't think I'm convincing my friends with that one...

Milamber

How do i set the throttle and break buttons on my Xbox Controller? It won't me assign it to LT and RT when i press them (no the controller ain't broken). Every other button works when i assign it.

Made this short guide for you...

Also v1.5 of my reworked controller mapping of what worked best for me. I still use the keyboard and mouse but this is my best setting that makes me use it as less...

Milamber

I thought I'd record a short video of me playing one cargo trip in ETS2 to show my bewildered friends why I was playing it.

...it ended up being almost an hour long. Whoops. Did not realise how much time passes when you're driving across Europe. Lol.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3jQzt31WP4

Yeah... I don't think I'm convincing my friends with that one...

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that zones out and realize I did not take the turn in time and compensate by going on the wrong side of the road.

Anyone have a little info where I could find a MAN dealership? After playing with most of the truck designs, I like MAN the best and switched to it in my favorite truck tab from a Renault one and I cant seem to find another dealership. I started in Germany if that helps anyone.

Double D

What's the consensus on the 'best' truck? I'm currently driving a Volvo, and the starter engine is definitely a beast, but I'm wondering if maneuverability is better in the other models so much that it would offset the decrease in power.

edit: ^^I found a MAN dealership in Calais.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that zones out and realize I did not take the turn in time and compensate by going on the wrong side of the road.
Haha yeah, I zone out all the time. Sometimes I'm just looking at the countryside and stuff and then I'm like "oh shit, almost missed a turn!"

Anyone have a little info where I could find a MAN dealership? After playing with most of the truck designs, I like MAN the best and switched to it in my favorite truck tab from a Renault one and I cant seem to find another dealership. I started in Germany if that helps anyone.
I started with a MAN. There's a dealership in the south of Germany but I can't remember which city it was. Can't check right now, I'm at work.

Milamber

Okay, after playing with TSM 3.5 for a while, I can now see why I may need the Realistic Trailer mod to affect my earnings as well. Having way more cities is earning me way more money from deliveries. Almost too much.

Double D

Okay, after playing with TSM 3.5 for a while, I can now see why I may need the Realistic Trailer mod to affect my earnings as well. Having way more cities is earning me way more money from deliveries. Almost too much.

What level are you and how much have you leveled up Long DIstance?

Milamber

What level are you and how much have you leveled up Long DIstance?

Tried with a Lv 23. Can't remember distance, I'm at work right now.

I'm trying a lot of mods with multiple profiles with different mods with differently leveled characters too. I really should settle down on a good base set of mods and actually play through the game.

Have it installed but for some reason my video isn't showing up. Everything is black.

I've looked at the forums and not sure what the problem is.

Desktop
650ti

Any ideas?

Had that problem as well at first and it turned out it was cos I didn't actually set my source (game capture) by right clicking in the column and selecting the actual source. Maybe that's your problem? (You need to have the game loaded, then alt-tab out into OBS to properly set the source.)

There's also some info in this FAQ

LegoArmo

I can see the game becoming too easy at a high level, but the modified earnings meant I couldn't afford my loan payments at level 6, so I had to switch that out.

Theres one in Edinburgh just southeast from glasgow.

LegoArmo

I downloaded Project Realism and there's a physics mod in there, I already have Realistic Physics Mod 7.0, can I just delete one of them? And if so, which?

It's a pain working out which mods play nice together.

Milamber

I downloaded Project Realism and there's a physics mod in there, I already have Realistic Physics Mod 7.0, can I just delete one of them? And if so, which?

It's a pain working out which mods play nice together.

From what I currently know about ETS2, the mod from the bottom overwrites the mod on top if they both do the same thing.

Sye d'Burns

The large MAN showrooms are in Berlin and München.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah, I made a ton of money last night from my other drivers after installing TSM 3.5, they are raking in the cash at like 3 times the rate they used to. It's kind of ridiculous honestly. I may try the realistic trailer mod tonight to see if it lessens the influx of green somewhat.

paulorsjr

This topic contains a link to a spreadsheet containing all the locations for dealers, recruitment, companies...

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=298

Hope this helps you (it worked like a charm for me).

Ty4on

Speaking of speeding, is there a mod or something that allows you to see the speed limit of the current section of road? I'm all for realism, but being based in London, I'm used to miles per hour and going into Europe and having to convert in my head doesn't end very well. I also can't read the signs a lot of times because I'm pretty far from my screen thanks to my wheel. I want to keep the realism of speed cameras, but if I can't see the speed limit I might just get the mod that makes the fines 0.
They joys of being bilingual with units :p
No need to be 100% accurate. This is what I use in my head:
30 - 50
50 - 80

55 - 90
60 - 100
70 - 110
80 - 130

I drive a ton in the UK and all I need to worry about really is 30, 50 and 60. If I notice the traffic going slowly I know it's because there's a speed limit which has helped me a lot and I drive a lot in daylight where (in the UK at least) the warning signs and speed cameras are easy to see.

Hope the pics aren't too big.
Sign:
Speed camera:
Speed camera for roadworks (yellow overhead cameras):

Sye d'Burns

Speaking of speeding, is there a mod or something that allows you to see the speed limit of the current section of road? I'm all for realism, but being based in London, I'm used to miles per hour and going into Europe and having to convert in my head doesn't end very well. I also can't read the signs a lot of times because I'm pretty far from my screen thanks to my wheel. I want to keep the realism of speed cameras, but if I can't see the speed limit I might just get the mod that makes the fines 0.

You can go to Options -> Game Settings and click "'blah' miles" The blah is something like "show" or "display," I can't remember. It'll change the measurement globally. You'll see either KPH or MPH on your dash, GPS, even in reference to your employees.

It's very handy. I'm back and forth between the continent and UK so often that I'm beginning to wish there was a toggle for that option.

As for seeing the mileage on the road, I'm right there with you. Half the time, I've no more than seen the sign and it's gone and I've missed reading it entirely.

Sye d'Burns

Hope the pics aren't too big.

Unless it's just personal preference, you should consider hitting F3 and use the GPS in its slimmed down, translucent mode. It takes up quite a bit less screen space. Just throwing that out there.

I use it in one of its zoomed out top down modes side-by-side with the GPS already in the vehicle,

Speaking of, I wish there were a way to change the display mode on the dash GPS. If there were, I'd probably be able to do away with the F3 GPS, outside of viewing delivery terms and the like.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Is there a reason in my game I am driving on the right side of the road and my steering wheel is on the left? Is this a setting, or does it have to do with my starting country (Austria)?

Is there a reason in my game I am driving on the right side of the road and my steering wheel is on the left? Is this a setting, or does it have to do with my starting country (Austria)?

Yes. It has to do with the country. AFAIK the UK is the only one that flips it.

You can always go to a garage and change it to a british (or HK) model, where the wheel is to the right.

You crazy bastard!

Top Bottom