• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

I'm having weird graphical glitches, like big black triangles, or green trails attached to the fronts of other trucks. Not sure what that's about. I'm also not sure what mods to run. I downloaded the Project Realism stuff. Is that just renamed mods? Do I need to pick one physics mod or trailer logo mod over another?

Double D

I'm having weird graphical glitches, like big black triangles, or green trails attached to the fronts of other trucks. Not sure what that's about. I'm also not sure what mods to run. I downloaded the Project Realism stuff. Is that just renamed mods? Do I need to pick one physics mod or trailer logo mod over another?

Are other games doing this? Could be your GPU acting fucky, Bubs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Sounds like either a driver or a hardware issue. I've never really had any problems running the game at max settings, other than the rare occasional stutter sometimes, but I think that's more due to the radio than anything else. ETS2 runs like a dream 99% of the time for me.

Sounds like either a driver or a hardware issue. I've never really had any problems running the game at max settings, other than the rare occasional stutter sometimes, but I think that's more due to the radio than anything else. ETS2 runs like a dream 99% of the time for me.

Could be the latest beta drivers from NVIDIA then. I haven't had the issue since turning off the realism mods.

Also, any Art Bell/Coast to Coast AM fans here? I've loaded up a bunch of classic Art Bell shows and it's a fucking dream whilst playing this. The show was hugely popular with truckers here in America, and was on a primetime time slot for that. 1-5am. Classic paranormal/psuedoscience/ufology etc topics. Really fun. And currently I'm on a longer trip, had to take a ferry to the UK. It's night and raining. Dat rain/cabin sound.

Wow, this game is actually good? I thought it'd be like that one bus driver game that everyone (read: Cracked) knocked because driving a bus along a route doing the speed limit is incredibly boring.

Then again, I did enjoy Train Simulator for a time.

marrec

Banned
Could be the latest beta drivers from NVIDIA then. I haven't had the issue since turning off the realism mods.

Also, any Art Bell/Coast to Coast AM fans here? I've loaded up a bunch of classic Art Bell shows and it's a fucking dream whilst playing this. The show was hugely popular with truckers here in America, and was on a primetime time slot for that. 1-5am. Classic paranormal/psuedoscience/ufology etc topics. Really fun. And currently I'm on a longer trip, had to take a ferry to the UK. It's night and raining. Dat rain/cabin sound.

Oh fuck! Of course! You sir are doing it right. This should have been a feature in the game at launch.

Terra_Ex

Any mods to show the driver/drivers hands when behind the wheel? Enjoying the game a lot (aside from not being able to reverse park successfully thus far :))

DukeBobby

Wow, this game is actually good? I thought it'd be like that one bus driver game that everyone (read: Cracked) knocked because driving a bus along a route doing the speed limit is incredibly boring.

It really is. Before I played it, I thought the love for it was some sort of ironic joke. It turns out I was very, very wrong.

The game is addictive as hell.

Mengy

Yeah, I like Train Sim too. I play Railworks 2013 now and then, would like to play it more often, but lately Euro Truck Sim 2 is getting all of my relaxing sim play time.

ETS2 is like Train Simulator mixed with crack cocaine, streaming international radio, a career mode, a little bit of Gran Tourismo car building thrown in, and business management. If that sounds at all appealing to you then purchase this game with extreme caution, because you just might become severely addicted to it like so many of us have.

All I am using at the moment is Project Realism.

Seems to be an excellent collection of mods. Nothing too crazy.

I installed the Project Realism mods yesterday and I noticed the Realistic Economy mod completely destroyed the earnings from Quick jobs. They went from something like 3k all the way down to 400. I am very early in the game (level 3 maybe) but this seems like a huge decrease. It might be "realistic" to drive for 4 hours and get $400, but that seems like it'd be kind of boring to take that long to earn money.

Is there anything I'm missing, or is that mod just not for me?

Gigarator

Speed camera for roadworks (yellow overhead cameras):
lQ1Xl92.jpg

The difference with these yellow cameras is that they track your average speed between sets. That's why you always see them in two's or three's but never on their own. You can blast through the first set over the speed limit without getting a penalty as long as you slow down for the rest of the road between the cameras and average under the limit then when you pass the second set you shouldn't get ticketed.
(I haven't tested this, but that's how they work in reality).

SHarris78

What kind of framerates are people getting for this?

Just used fraps and my average seems to be around the 25 fps mark. I've got an I7-2600k 3.4ghz processor, 16gb RAM and a GTX780 graphics cards, I would've expected more fps than that?!

I did have a PC issue in the week whereby my monitor wouldn't come on (GTAIV with mods keeps causing a major crash), I've had to clear the CMOS to get my PC to boot up, and unless my mind is playing tricks on me i'm positive ETS2 was running smooth as butter before my issues.

What kind of framerates are people getting for this?

Just used fraps and my average seems to be around the 25 fps mark. I've got an I7-2600k 3.4ghz processor, 16gb RAM and a GTX780 graphics cards, I would've expected more fps than that?!

I did have a PC issue in the week whereby my monitor wouldn't come on (GTAIV with mods keeps causing a major crash), I've had to clear the CMOS to get my PC to boot up, and unless my mind is playing tricks on me i'm positive ETS2 was running smooth as butter before my issues.

60 fps everything maxed at 1920x1080 and I didn't really get much of a performance hit when I was recording video either and I have a weaker machine. (i7 930 @3.9Ghz, HD 7970 with a modest overclock, 8GB RAM) I did get drops into the mid 40s though when I was downsampling from 2560x1440.

One thing I did notice just yesterday was a few occasional hitches. Is this common? It seemed very much like it was maybe loading in a new area.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a 5850 and if I do scaling at 200% and mirror distance at medium with no forced AA from my video drivers everything else can be max and I run 60fps until I enter cities, then it can go as low as 24 but is usually mid-30s.

It's not nearly as bad as Train Simulator. That thing ran more shit than any game I've ever played.

SHarris78

60 fps everything maxed at 1920x1080 and I didn't really get much of a performance hit when I was recording video either and I have a weaker machine. (i7 930 @3.9Ghz, HD 7970 with a modest overclock, 8GB RAM) I did get drops into the mid 40s though when I was downsampling from 2560x1440.

One thing I did notice just yesterday was a few occasional hitches. Is this common? It seemed very much like it was maybe loading in a new area.

I just tried Battlefield 3 to see if I had similar framerate issues, got an average of 55fps with everything maxed out. Then tried Trackmania Canyon with everything maxed, and it chugged going around corners. Seems my rig dislikes driving games :-(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's just optimization issues. The prettiness of the graphics isn't the only defining characteristic of an AAA game.

I did have a PC issue in the week whereby my monitor wouldn't come on (GTAIV with mods keeps causing a major crash), I've had to clear the CMOS to get my PC to boot up
Heyooo check your power supply.

Nevasleep

I just tried Battlefield 3 to see if I had similar framerate issues, got an average of 55fps with everything maxed out. Then tried Trackmania Canyon with everything maxed, and it chugged going around corners. Seems my rig dislikes driving games :-(

I may have found better performance by choosing "Launch with DirectX".

Lettuce

Ok about to have my first venture into the worl of eurp truck sim 2, i have the following mods ready to install:

TSM Map 3,5
Realistic Physics Mod v7
Realistic Trailers pack (standard ed)

does it matter what order i install these in, and is there any other mods i should get?

Blablurn

lil disappointed how it runs on my laptop. i can play games like max payne 3 or crysis but ETS2 only runs in middle/normal settings.

Ok about to have my first venture into the worl of eurp truck sim 2, i have the following mods ready to install:

TSM Map 3,5
Realistic Physics Mod v7
Realistic Trailers pack (standard ed)

does it matter what order i install these in, and is there any other mods i should get?

I would also install the starting cash mod if your using the TSM Map 3.5 and starting a new profile. They apparently accidentally left the starting cash at like 5000000 for new profiles that they were using for testing in the full mod. They released another small mod to reset the start cash to 2000.

I notice hitches essentially every time I cross the border into a new country and when I enter major cities.

Ok, yeah that sounds right. It happened as I was approaching Amsterdam. It's that scary kind of 1/2 second hitch that makes you fully expect to suddenly crash to the desktop.

Lettuce

I would also install the starting cash mod if your using the TSM Map 3.5 and starting a new profile. They apparently accidentally left the starting cash at like 5000000 for new profiles that they were using for testing in the full mod. They released another small mod to reset the start cash to 2000.

Yeah ive downloaded the one that just add 2000 starting money.

where can i get the realistic companies mod and addition radio stations mode from?

Mengy

Wow, I just realized that I didn't need to get that "starting cash fix" mod at all. I downloaded and installed the TSM3.5 map mod last night, loaded up my 45 hour save game, and my money was exactly the same as it was the night before. So enabling TSM 3.5 didn't give me any extra money at all like people here have been reporting. I wonder why mine was different?

Double D

Wow, I just realized that I didn't need to get that "starting cash fix" mod at all. I downloaded and installed the TSM3.5 map mod last night, loaded up my 45 hour save game, and my money was exactly the same as it was the night before. So enabling TSM 3.5 didn't give me any extra money at all like people here have been reporting. I wonder why mine was different?

I think it only applies to a new game. Existing saves aren't affected.

Double D

Yes, I've used the same Scania truck the whole time, bought the cheapest on offer to begin with. I'm lv25 currently and it's pretty much at max spec now.

Thanks. Was going to trade in my base model Volvo, but decided to go the upgrade route. Just got the 700HP engine. Haven't gone for the Chassis upgrade yet. I figured I might as well wait for the third option to unlock (I think it's 6X4?). Wondering what kind of an impact that will have.

Lettuce

Check first post.

Thanks, so i have played all my patches,

Trailers Pack (standard ed)
Daniels Real European Companies mod
Realistic Physics mod v7
TSM Maps 3.5
live_streams radio station

in the documents/euro truck simulator 2 folder, is that all that is needed or do i need to activate them in game some how??. Any other mods worth getting that work with the above patches, is there mod that adds more/realistic traffic?

I installed the Project Realism mods yesterday and I noticed the Realistic Economy mod completely destroyed the earnings from Quick jobs. They went from something like 3k all the way down to 400. I am very early in the game (level 3 maybe) but this seems like a huge decrease. It might be "realistic" to drive for 4 hours and get $400, but that seems like it'd be kind of boring to take that long to earn money.

Is there anything I'm missing, or is that mod just not for me?

You can disable that module of you don't like it.

Problem is you start bank rolling so much money latter in the game in vanilla.

Thanks, so i have played all my patches,

Trailers Pack (standard ed)
Daniels Real European Companies mod
Realistic Physics mod v7
TSM Maps 3.5
live_streams radio station

in the documents/euro truck simulator 2 folder, is that all that is needed or do i need to activate them in game some how??. Any other mods worth getting that work with the above patches, is there mod that adds more/realistic traffic?
You need to activate them. When you are creating a profile you can select what mods you want to use. If you already have a profile, just click the Profile button, then click Edit to choose what mods you want to enable.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't believe it took this long for ETS2 to hit big on GAF.

I started a topic about the game when it released, and pretty much just got laughed at.

Who is laughing now!

Double D

Are any of my no-speed-limit-needle-threading-fuck-the-police brethren running the realistic physics mod? Curious as to how much that would affect my current driving style.

DukeBobby

I started a topic about the game when it released, and pretty much just got laughed at.

Who is laughing now!

If I saw that thread of yours, I would have laughed too.

Man, I was so wrong about this game.

Who is laughing now!

I've been intrigued for sometime but it didn't hit a price (or I didn't notice it hit a price) where I felt comfortable picking it up until this past Steam sale.

Irminsul

There's nothing better than doing an epic delivery from Düsseldorf right down to Algier (courtesy of TSM Maps) while listening to a Czech cover of "Lady in Black".

Yes.

And then fucking crashing into another truck in Tunisia's hairpin bends. FFS.

Who is laughing now!

Every time I saw the words Euro Truck Simulator I felt like I chad warden'd it. Come on now...ETS? I ain't gonna play my driving games with no 60 foot sem-i. Aiight?

So wrong.

Top Bottom