• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't believe it took this long for ETS2 to hit big on GAF.

I started a topic about the game when it released, and pretty much just got laughed at.

Who is laughing now!
I wanted it, but Train Simulator ran worse than any game ever so I didn't want to risk a lot of money on another simulator game. When it got a demo I tried it and it ran well so I knew I'd pick it up for a sale. Then it went on sale but there were so many sales money got tight... but then Dunder had it for $4! Everything went better than expected.

statham

whats the difference between transmission 281 and 281R ? I just upgraded to it and a 360hp engine. feels good. Almost have enough for a second building.

brentech

Kept forgetting to look it up, but living in the US and rarely seeing trucks with a flat front (apparently known as Cab Over Engine, COE), I was curious why we don't really have them here other than most modern buses.

Apparently they have a much stiffer ride and usually not very aerodynamic. Also can be louder and harder to access certain parts of the engine. Used to be popular in the US in the 70s due to length laws that were removed in 1982. No longer produced in the US.

And now we know.

I do like the look of them much more than what we typically see here.

Lettuce

Has anyone tried using the FaceTrackNoIR program yet, i have noticed its compatible with the PS3 Eye Camera, but whenever i load FaceTrackNoIR it seems to select my PCI capture card and not the PS3 camera, and cant see a option to select a device that the program can use which is a bit of an oversight!?

Took the plunge, bought the retarder, mapped it to my 360 pad. Turned on air brake simulation. Basically from what I've read, you use your "proper" brakes too much and you loose pressure, they stop working, your truck won't move. I'm doing ok so far, engine braking and retarder take some getting used to in "emergencies" :)

I have retarder up/down mapped to up/down on the dpad and the engine brake as a left analogue click in.

So In full, I'm

left trigger = "proper" brakes
Right Trigger = Accelerate
select = lights on/off
start = re-center view
left analogue = steer
left analogue click = engine braking
left/right sholders = gear down/gear up
dpad left/right = indicators
dpad up down = retarder levels
right analogue = look around cabin
right analogue click = horn
x = high beams
y = wipers
b = cycle display (petrol/cruise/temps)
a = cruise control

I play with pad and keyboard in front of me. I feel my pad setup has everything I'd need immediately in any situation, whilst being as "manual" as possible in gears/sim stuff.

Views, Trailer lock/unlock, map etc I all use direct from my KB.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yes, I've used the same Scania truck the whole time, bought the cheapest on offer to begin with. I'm lv25 currently and it's pretty much at max spec now.

7rFwh9F.jpg

I started with a Volvo, and then slowly bought one of every other truck in the game. My favorite was a MAN for a long time but for now I've settled on a Scania too. This is my current ride:

Pretty much fully loaded, I might put a few more lights on it, heh.

Lettuce

You need to activate them. When you are creating a profile you can select what mods you want to use. If you already have a profile, just click the Profile button, then click Edit to choose what mods you want to enable.

Hmm, none of the mods are showing up in the list, i have the Steam version btw....do i need to place the mod files elsewhere?

Korezo

Just got my wheel. Is there any force feedback at all in this game? I adjust the sliders and I don't feel anything I even drove off the road to to if any resistance or feedback would happen but nothing. The only resistance I feel is trying to turn the wheel all the way around, turning the wheel a certain amount will reach a tight resistance.

neemmss

Kept forgetting to look it up, but living in the US and rarely seeing trucks with a flat front (apparently known as Cab Over Engine, COE), I was curious why we don't really have them here other than most modern buses.

Apparently they have a much stiffer ride and usually not very aerodynamic. Also can be louder and harder to access certain parts of the engine. Used to be popular in the US in the 70s due to length laws that were removed in 1982. No longer produced in the US.

And now we know.

I do like the look of them much more than what we typically see here.

Wait so which ones are better? I personally love the looks of the trucks that we have in the US. The Volvo 670/780 series and the Freightliner Coronado/Cascadia series are very beautiful trucks.

Tu101uk

Thanks to this thread, I decided to get this the other day through that Italian site for use with Steam and I've completely fallen in love with it! Thanks a lot ETS2Gaf!

Been enjoying the game vanilla so far and was just looking into the mods for it. Quick question though regarding the TSM Map 3.5 mod. I know that the Real Trailer Textures mod changes the monies earned from deliveries to make it harder, but is the TSM mod supposed to do it too?

TSM Mod Disabled:

TSM Mod Enabled:

The only other mod I've got activated was the Realistic Companies mod. Tried it without that one on and it still reduces the income from the jobs.

So is it supposed to be like that? Or have I done something wrong?

Thanks!

brentech

Wait so which ones are better? I personally love the looks of the trucks that we have in the US. The Volvo 670/780 series and the Freightliner Coronado/Cascadia series are very beautiful trucks.

The trucks we have in the US seem to be technically better. The only reason we used to have COEs was the smaller cab allowed for longer trailers. Now that the length of a vehicle laws was taken down a bit in 82, they didn't have to worry about squeezing the truck to make more room for the trailer.

Europe does have those laws, and that seems to be why they use them. COEs just largely aren't as safe and have many disadvantages compared to their few advantages.

If I saw that thread of yours, I would have laughed too.

Man, I was so wrong about this game.

Same here. My issue with simulations, a lot of the time, is they feel so lackluster that it's hard for me to be seriously engaged. There's a lot of fantastic detail in this game, I feel like a fucking trucker. Farming Simulator also seems to be similar in that regard, which makes me want it.

Anyway, I need to know if people are parking when they drop-off? What's your process? Is it worth working through it? It takes me forever, it might not be worth it if I miss the deadline, so to speak.

Ty4on

Unless it's just personal preference, you should consider hitting F3 and use the GPS in its slimmed down, translucent mode. It takes up quite a bit less screen space. Just throwing that out there.
It doesn't bother me, but thanks! I sort of don't notice the HUD when taking pictures.
The difference with these yellow cameras is that they track your average speed between sets. That's why you always see them in two's or three's but never on their own. You can blast through the first set over the speed limit without getting a penalty as long as you slow down for the rest of the road between the cameras and average under the limit then when you pass the second set you shouldn't get ticketed.
(I haven't tested this, but that's how they work in reality).
They don't seem to be working. I've stopped following the speed limit and haven't been caught :p
Anyway, I need to know if people are parking when they drop-off? What's your process? Is it worth working through it? It takes me forever, it might not be worth it if I miss the deadline, so to speak.
Pretty sure time moves much slower where you park. Practice makes perfect. I'm starting to be able to park it on the first try. I use the interior cam (because it feels awesome) and as a controller user check the tire a lot by looking down when I look out the window to know where the tire is pointing.

Edit: We're posting our trucks now? I'm just l14, but I kind of love my DAF :p
Night with HUD.

Veggy

I have to admit, I'm quite tempted to pick up this game after reading this thread, I'm not really into simulator type games but reading up on this has got me really interested

Guessing there's a demo for it? I might try that first before I dive in

Guess I missed the steam sale for it :( Shopto is selling the digital copy for £16.85 though, much better than £25 on steam

I have to admit, I'm quite tempted to pick up this game after reading this thread, I'm not really into simulator type games but reading up on this has got me really interested

Guessing there's a demo for it? I might try that first before I dive in

Guess I missed the steam sale for it :( Shopto is selling the digital copy for £16.85 though, much better than £25 on steam

There's a great description of how it feels in this thread. Maybe even this page. I missed the Steam sale too but one of the bundles was selling it for 9.99 a few days ago. Probably too late now :/

Mengy said:
ETS2 is like Train Simulator mixed with crack cocaine, streaming international radio, a career mode, a little bit of Gran Tourismo car building thrown in, and business management. If that sounds at all appealing to you then purchase this game with extreme caution, because you just might become severely addicted to it like so many of us have.

DukeBobby

All open world games should have streaming radio. After playing this, I don't think I can go back to listening to the radio stations in other games.

Double D

I started with a Volvo, and then slowly bought one of every other truck in the game. My favorite was a MAN for a long time but for now I've settled on a Scania too. This is my current ride:

Pretty much fully loaded, I might put a few more lights on it, heh.

Aesthetics aside, what makes you prefer the other models over the Volvo? Just having a hard time moving from my 700 hp Volvo to anything else. Do they drive better?

Man, where did the last four hours just go? I hired my first employee named Baldur (he won the job based on name alone), bought a Volvo truck and gave the new guy my old truck, and listened to some awesome tunes across France, England, and the Netherlands. There's something very relaxing about this game. I actually like parking my trailers now. I do everything from the default camera view.

What the fuck are we all doing gushing over a trucking video game?

luxarific

Nork unification denier

I initially had a lot of trouble with this, but I watched some youtube tutorials and now I'm finding it relatively easy. In general you try to line up in as straight a line as possible in front of the parking spot, then you put it into reverse and looking at your left and right rear view mirrors start to back up. If you find that you're reversing at an angle or are otherwise coming in crooked, steer toward the side that you see your trailer on: e.g. if you see more of the trailer on the left than you do on the right, turn your wheel left (and vice versa if more of the trailer is showing on the right), and keep on reversing slowly until you can no longer see the side of your trailer (when this happens, your truck and trailer are in a straight line). As long as you keep your truck and trailer in a straight line via this process, you can back into most any spot without much of a problem.

I initially had a lot of trouble with this, but I watched some youtube tutorials and now I'm finding it relatively easy. In general you try to line up in as straight a line as possible in front of the parking spot, then you put it into reverse and looking at your left and right rear view mirrors start to back up. If you find that you're reversing at an angle or are otherwise coming in crooked, steer toward the side that you see your trailer on: e.g. if you see more of the trailer on the left than you do on the right, turn your wheel left (and vice versa if more of the trailer is showing on the right), and keep on reversing slowly until you can no longer see the side of your trailer (when this happens, your truck and trailer are in a straight line). As long as you keep your truck and trailer in a straight line via this process, you can back into most any spot without much of a problem.

Maybe I need to try a different camera then, I'm using top-down. It's really hard to function using a controller as I can't seem to get camera looking to work on it. so I'd have to control with part mouse, and part controller. The backing up never seems to completely work. I wonder if it's the realistic physics? Or maybe my tire angle is still slightly off.

Posted already but this bears repeating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo

That was great, haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Aesthetics aside, what makes you prefer the other models over the Volvo? Just having a hard time moving from my 700 hp Volvo to anything else. Do they drive better?

Well, my Scania has 730 HP, where as my Volvo has 750 HP, so the power difference isn't that much. Plus I don't like the mirrors on the Volvo much, but the Scania's mirrors give me a better view. That's probably just preference though. Also, I just really like the interior of the Scania, especially at night.

There are some rough roads in North Africa in that Map Mod. Lots of Steep inclines. Be ready to use your motor brake and make sure your engine can handle whatever load your hauling.

Also, I can't run the game with RadeonPro and the Steam community overlay at the same time. I can run either/or but not both. There is a command line parameter you can set that allows it to work but that setting destroys performance. Really the only thing that disappoints me about that is that I can't take any Steam screenshots to show off.

Ruze789

I was going to play a different game tonight- Mark of the Ninja, Chivalry, Grid, Payday- but I figured I'd load this up, just to check out my first non-tutorial job.
I love this game! Such a strangely fun time and so addictive, had a hard time shutting it off.

jyoung188

It's crazy, I have a job where I literally drive a truck, and sometimes a trailer, around all day (not semi trucks just normal ones) and I can't wait to drive virtual trucks around virtual Europe when I get home. I love that my real life skills with pulling a backing up a trailer actually carry over to this game. I've been playing vanilla ETS2 and I'm looking forward to trying out some mods, I need better engine sounds for sure.

Zinthar

Just got my wheel. Is there any force feedback at all in this game? I adjust the sliders and I don't feel anything I even drove off the road to to if any resistance or feedback would happen but nothing. The only resistance I feel is trying to turn the wheel all the way around, turning the wheel a certain amount will reach a tight resistance.

There's definitely force feedback, but once when I was playing the FF just shut off for some reason (restarting fixed the problem).

Since you said that you just got your wheel, are you sure you have installed the latest drivers? Also be aware that for some wheels, certain drivers require the wheel to have a specific firmware revision (I had to update the firmware on my Fanatec GT3 to use the latest beta drivers).

Do you have any other game which supports force feedback to test the wheel with?

Zinthar

It uses about 900mb of VRAM at 1080p, Max setting, no AA. If that's not in GGDR5, its gonna stutter unless you crank it down.
In its defence, it is a very pretty driving sim, and crysis and Max Payne are console engines that are very, very optimised by big teams.

I can't defend the performance of ETS2... It's horrid for the quality of the graphics. I'm playing at 2560x1440 with nearly maxed settings (300% scaling, MLAA disabled) on a system w/ a 4.6 Ghz i7 & GTX 680 (326.19 drivers), and get around 28-45 fps.

This is a system that will run iRacing at around 150 frames, F1 2012 maxed at 85, and GTA:IV nearly maxed at an average of 66 -- all much better looking driving-based games. ETS2 is the most demanding PC game I've encountered at its maxed settings other than Witcher 2 with ubersampling enabled.

I haven't seen others complain about it, so I assumed that it was just a matter of it being optimized horribly for Kepler at high resolutions.

A G27 to play Euro Truck Sim. Holy shit.

And I wish I could get a G27 for that cheap here in the UK. The Driving Force GT costs almost £100 on average here.

I know :(

I've managed to talk myself down from the Fanatec Porsche bundle for about £290 through the Logitech G27 and i'm now looking at the Logitech Driving Force GT or the Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch... and a wheel stand. The Thrustmaster T500 was right out. I'm not that hardcore.

I might have to bite the bullet and order a DFGT from Logitech and the wheelstand pro from amazon. I do 'play' other sims though i'm not very good at them :)

Any good places to look out for wheel deals in the UK?

Addnan

I know :(

I've managed to talk myself down from the Fanatec Porsche bundle for about £290 through the Logitech G27 and i'm now looking at the Logitech Driving Force GT or the Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch... and a wheel stand. The Thrustmaster T500 was right out. I'm not that hardcore.

I might have to bite the bullet and order a DFGT from Logitech and the wheelstand pro from amazon. I do 'play' other sims though i'm not very good at them :)

Any good places to look out for wheel deals in the UK?
Not really, its a niche product. I bought the DFGT from Argos a few months ago for £90. Gone up to £115 now. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9004179.htm

I think when I have some spare money closer to October I am going to go all out and get a good wheel, h-shifter. The whole works. Not for ETS2 though lol.

The DFGT is a really good wheel, the pedals are a little crappy, but they are not too bad and you can replace them.

Top Bottom