• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Just installed the map mod and the realistic trailer mod. I'm now doing a 1,500 km trip for 15,000 euros. Hopefully my loan payments don't bankrupt me.

Does the trailer mod reduce xp gain as well, or is it just the money?

Sye d'Burns

Was playing last night and I said, "let me plug in my 360 controller to see if works". I set it all up, and then as soon as I went back into the game, the steering wheel jerked to the left at 100% and my truck smashed into a few cars and flipped over.

back to mouse and keyboard for me...

Yeah i've found the controller to be staggeringly sensitive. I have sensitivity all the way to the left, but it's still crazy. Havn't had the time to tinker a little bit and see whats up.

uX7nzfz.png

Go to your Controls setup and make sure that the control hasn't defaulted to wheel. Make sure it's set to "Gamepad, Joystick" in Controller subtype. It likely has as I've had it happen to me several times.

I've crossed 60 hours played. I don't know how I feel about this considering I've only had ETS2 a week today,

That sounds awesome. I stayed down around Milano and southern Europe a lot because I like the mountain roads. Now that I have TSM 3.5 installed it sounds like I need to wander my truck over to Africa.

I need to try some different areas. I'm making my way down from Scandinavia to Germany and beyond. There's something awesome about taking a ferry and then trucking across the UK as well. Definitely need to try Africa tho maybe I'll make my way down, set up shop in Croatia or Italy and then take a ferry.

Love the feeling.

DJ_Lae

Love the game, I think I've put in a dozen hours since I bought it. That's not nearly as much as some people here, but I've put in a similar amount of time with Farming Simulator 2013 and Trainz Simulator 12. I'm on a weird kick playing games that the me three years ago would have teased someone for playing.

Also, last week's weekend confirmed was great, with discussion of the first two above games.

Is there anyway to pump it even higher?

I'd be curious about this too, I think I have every setting as high as it will go and the mirrors still look a bit dodgy.

Ty4on

Was the same before I went in the control options and changed the "input control" (or whatever it's called) from wheel to Xbox 360 controller. No more jerkiness.
In older SCS truck games (like ETS 1) this option didn't exist. It basically made them unplayable even if you were super careful because the sensitivity would change seemingly at random. I could fool it by quickly steering to 50% left/right (it was super sensitive the first bit), but then I'd forget in a gentle corner and crash :/

So trucking-GAF which are you? Back roads or highways?

Back roads always win in my rig.
I hate being stuck behind traffic when I haven't got the power to overtake them 90% of the time. I do love passing everyone in 130 so highway for me ATM!

brentech

Nothing quite like pulling 23T out of the quarry. That last hill....lol, love it. Had to use the ol' handbrake trick at one point because my truck stalled out. Running 430HP right now because I'm saving to buy a new garage and truck at the same time.

calder

Nothing quite like pulling 23T out of the quarry. That last hill....lol, love it. Had to use the ol' handbrake trick at one point because my truck stalled out. Running 430HP right now because I'm saving to buy a new garage and truck at the same time.

Lol I'm such a baby, the two times I've been to a mine when I was done I got a tow back to town to avoid the drive back up. ;) Coincidentally both times it was quite late at night and I was tired but wanted to quickly do 'just one more' delivery.

So for that extra cities mod, you just grab the file you download and put it in the mods folder in the Euro Truck Simulator 2 directory, right?

I did that, and I don't think I see any extra cities on my world map...

Dennis

Banned
I distinctly remember posting great screenshots of this game when the demo came out and GAF mocked me for it.

I was ahead of my time.

Raxious

So for that extra cities mod, you just grab the file you download and put it in the mods folder in the Euro Truck Simulator 2 directory, right?

I did that, and I don't think I see any extra cities on my world map...

Did u add it ingame to your active mods list?

Using an AMD card, how can I control the Jaggies in this game?? for some reason its one of the most aliased games I have ever played.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nothing quite like pulling 23T out of the quarry. That last hill....lol, love it. Had to use the ol' handbrake trick at one point because my truck stalled out.
I hope you said "come on, bessie"

Sye d'Burns

Man, I have mixed feelings about how this game pulls you into the "just one more delivery" mindset. I make a good priced delivery from Manchester to Bratislava and think at the start, "I'll just do this one and quit." Then I check the freight lists when I get to my destination and there's a ridiculously good delivery payment (close to 100k) from Brno to Birmingham, so I reckon I'll just drive to Brno, pick it up and then quit. I get to Brno and then decide, well, I need to sleep (in-game) in a couple of hours so I'll drive until I need to rest and then quit. Then I notice that I'm really not that far off needing to get gas so I drive until I need to get gas. The next thing you know, I'm so close to the UK, I really should cross the tunnel before I call it a night. But wait, Birmingham isn't really that far, now, at all and it's almost entirely highway. Easy driving.

This gets me every time.

Parking advice is to straighten out as much as possible in forward. Pay attention to the rear wheels on most trucks, they also turn and gives a great reference point of the pivot point.

AxeMan

So which mods are essential?

If I just want bigger maps which one?
I keep reading that some mods alter the income, is that a side-effect of one of the map mods?

dejay

Banned
I had never put my truck on it's side until today. That changed when I hit a level crossing at over 130km/h. I ended up rolling it twice, doing 70% damage. Stupidly I continued to the mine I was originally heading to and picked up the trailer I was going there for. The journey to get the truck fixed with a heavy trailer was a long one. It also cost me $90k to fix.

This game is hilarious.

So which mods are essential?

If I just want bigger maps which one?
I keep reading that some mods alter the income, is that a side-effect of one of the map mods?

The map pack in the OP will suffice for a bigger map. It doesn't appear to alter the income that much as far as I can see; being larger, it just opens up longer routes, which will naturally earn more, but they take longer to complete. The extended areas can seem a little rough and cartoony in places, but it offers variety and a change of pace. There are many areas you can drive at top speed for extended periods as you can overtake on the hard and soft shoulders in a lot of places.

That with the Real European Companies mod mentioned in the OP is a quick and painless way to make the game better.

On top of those I have a mod that removes the toll booth arms, so they're effectively free and, more importantly, you can go through them at top speed. It makes travelling in France not suck.
http://www.simgamemod.com/?p=1289

I also got a mod that adds an extra 22 AI vehicles, including a Harley, an Italian Ferrari police car and a chav special with a humungous spoiler.
http://www.simgamemod.com/?p=851

Peru

On top of those I have a mod that removes the toll booth arms, so they're effectively free and, more importantly, you can go through them at top speed. It makes travelling in France not suck.

This is the kind of thing that would destroy the illusion for me. I don't want another racing game, I want a trucker experience where you have to follow rules, routines, where small mistakes matter big rather than where you drift around the corners to survive.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wish toll booth visits were more detailed rather than just pushing a button on the keyboard.

Dineren

Banned
Not sure if it was mentioned, but for those of you who missed the sale and are still interested. You can pick this up at Gamersgate for $14.99, it gives you a key to activate on Steam.

It's a little more expensive than it was on Steam, but still well worth the price.

Peru

I would be ecstatic for some Norway DLC, not just because I'm Norwegian (although obv partly because of that). Feels like a natural extension of the Europe map. The roads in my area, western Norway, are serious business when you get to more rural areas. Always entertaining to come head to head with a truck when there's no room to pass.

And will that money be enough to buy all that? If so, then I'll try this.

If you haven't already done that, it will be just enough money, but it will probably wipe out your account. Entry level trucks go for approximately 90k euros before modifications.

This is the kind of thing that would destroy the illusion for me. I don't want another racing game, I want a trucker experience where you have to follow rules, routines, where small mistakes matter big rather than where you drift around the corners to survive.

Yeah I like it too. It is a "Sim" after all.

Just had the baddest trip ever. Wanted to fill up gas in my truck and take a little nap before I continued my delivery and before I know it I only have 2 hours left for my delivery and my ETA was 3 hours, something. I had overslept!

I proceeded to blast through the motorway, at night with the only thing illuminating the road being my lights showing me about 30-40 meters of the road ahead of me and nothing else.

I was trying to overtake everything, being careful though not to collide with incomming drivers. Had a couple of close calls as but I managed to reach my destination safely. Late though, but safely. T'was actually quite fun!

SHarris78

Anybody know where Project Realism gets installed to?

I want to know how to uninstall it if I need to, but it doesn't show up in the add/remove programs list, and I can't seem to find anything in the Steam folder.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I want to know how to uninstall it if I need to, but it doesn't show up in the add/remove programs list, and I can't seem to find anything in the Steam folder.

C:\Users\*Your username*\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\mod

dejay

Banned

Toll booths every two minutes aren't realistic either. I'd prefer just less of them, but if I can't have that I choose to remove them.

Korezo

Toll booths every two minutes aren't realistic either. I'd prefer just less of them, but if I can't have that I choose to remove them.

I tried to rush through one a truck just passed just for fun to see if I get any violation fee and it closed right between the truck and cargo, I had to call for assistance to pick me up because if I detached the cargo it would stay behind the bar and there was no way to pay to pull it up.

The uninstaller is located in the mods folder located in your My Documents.

Do note that the installer installs at two places, one at the mods folder as mentioned above and the bin folder in the game's directory for the realistic fuel price updated.

Now there is an additional step in order for the fuel price updater to work for Steam version of the game. You have to create a registry entry to tell the installer where the game directory is. Retail box version of ETS2 does this, but not the Steam version.

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3277&start=50#p24496

If you don't care for this particular module of the mod pack, ignore this step and disable it in-game.

Two minutes of real time covers over 50 miles in-game. The world, as you know, is condensed.

SHarris78

Thanks for the Project Realism uninstall info guys. Whereas I like the little things it adds, i'm not really keen on the sun rising at 3:30am!

AxeMan

The map pack in the OP will suffice for a bigger map. It doesn't appear to alter the income that much as far as I can see; being larger, it just opens up longer routes, which will naturally earn more, but they take longer to complete. The extended areas can seem a little rough and cartoony in places, but it offers variety and a change of pace. There are many areas you can drive at top speed for extended periods as you can overtake on the hard and soft shoulders in a lot of places.

That with the Real European Companies mod mentioned in the OP is a quick and painless way to make the game better.

http://www.simgamemod.com/?p=1289

I also got a mod that adds an extra 22 AI vehicles, including a Harley, an Italian Ferrari police car and a chav special with a humungous spoiler.
http://www.simgamemod.com/?p=851

Thanks dejay.
I download the map mod and realistic companies mod.

I have a problem though, the map mod isn't working.
The realistic company one is though.

I copied the SCS file into the same location (my documents...)
I enabled them both on my profile.
I started a new profile as well but the map hasn't expanded

Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

Milamber

The map hasn't really expanded. There are just additional cities in Italy, Africa and Russia. Before they were empty.

Can you check if they are there?

AxeMan

I can't see any cities in Africa and I have 3 cities in Italy

Verona, Milan and Torino

I also get the warning down the bottom that I've got mods installed. Just doesn't appear to be working

Lettuce

Wing mirror detail in in the graphics options.

Does that actually effect the wing mirror model on the side of the trucks or just the HUD that can be added or removed, as i like to remove the HUD for the wing mirrors and actually use the mirrors on the side of the truck itself

AxeMan

Just making sure, you did register at the trucksim-map website and download the 2 parts 1GB files (when extraced filename is "TSM_Map_3.5.scs") and not the "zzzzzzzTSM_2000_startkapital.scs" 2KB attachment right?

I...did not know that.

So after feeling suitably embarrassed I've managed to find the correct downloads.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Raxious

Just making sure, you did register at the trucksim-map website and download the 2 parts 1GB files (when extraced filename is "TSM_Map_3.5.scs") and not the "zzzzzzzTSM_2000_startkapital.scs" 2KB attachment right?

Wait, arent those 2 files around the 200mb a piece?

Just clocked in 10 hours, this game is so addicting, for some reason im having a really hard time making money though.

Some Screens

52yR7n5l.jpg

wjYdH8Ml.jpg

Oneironaut

Neo Member
This game and Borderlands 2 have been really hurting my backlog progress recently. I just got Shadowrun Returns and I've barely touched it.

Just clocked in 10 hours, this game is so addicting, for some reason im having a really hard time making money though.

Some Screens

52yR7n5l.jpg

wjYdH8Ml.jpg

Are you using the realistic trailer mod? That really kills money production. A few minor collisions could cost more than what I make on a 700 km+ delivery.

Raxious

So, I took a job today that would pay me 4,000 euro's for a 8 hour drive. Everything goes well until it started to rain. I'm getting so immersed into the game, I peek out of my window to listen to the rain, unfortunately for me there was another car on the lane next to me and by me leaning out of the window I crashed into that car. I received a 450 euro fine for that.

About 5 minutes later, I'm driving 90 km/h and out of nowhere spot a 50 km/h sign. As I immediately use my brakes I see my my speed dropping fast, 80,70,60 but just when it hit 52 I saw a notice. Speed limit offence, 500 euro's.

Already lost 1000 euro's and still gotta drive for 6 hours :(

So, I took a job today that would pay me 4,000 euro's for a 8 hour drive. Everything goes well until it started to rain. I'm getting so immersed into the game, I peek out of my window to listen to the rain, unfortunately for me there was another car on the lane next to me and by me leaning out of the window I crashed into that car. I received a 450 euro fine for that.

About 5 minutes later, I'm driving 90 km/h and out of nowhere spot a 50 km/h sign. As I immediately use my brakes I see my my speed dropping fast, 80,70,60 but just when it hit 52 I saw a notice. Speed limit offence, 500 euro's.

Already lost 1000 euro's and still gotta drive for 6 hours :(

Im getting all of that and also having to pay for Ship Freigt, im trying to avoid those jobs now.

Watevaman

How does saving work on longer trips? I unlocked some of the trips to Africa from London and one is 40 hours long but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it in one sitting.

Top Bottom