• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Doesn't the Speedlink Wheel have a very short turning radius? Like 180 degrees or something?

That's what i'm reading but if it doesn't really matter then i'm tempted. I'd rather try a £40 wheel than splash out on £120 from the get-go.

Just had a look and it's the Speedlink Carbon GT that Maplins has not the Drift OZ. The Carbon has 250 degree rotation apparently.

dejay

Banned
I think it's a device that limits the engine's output for a while which slows down the vehicle. In the US they are commonly known as 'Jake Brakes' i think. Used instead of brakes or engine brakes in some circumstances.

In Europe i think we also call them Governors.

The game's a bit confusing in this regard.

Retarders in the game are devices that slow down the drive shaft - they act as a part of the braking system. There are hydraulic and electric variants - I'm not sure which the game uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXai8z99lUg

It emits a high pitch whine in the game.

Jacob's Brakes, or compression release brakes is a type of retarder, but it's not the retarder referred to in the game. It's a system of regulating the air out of the cylinder heads to improve engine braking. It's what the game refers to as engine brakes.

It's the noisy thing that truck drivers like to do to scare the shit out of me on the motorway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qocMoTOVn6Q

They can all be controlled manually or you can assign them to come on automatically when braking in the game. The compression braking would become annoying quickly though but the retarder will probably save you some crash costs if you assign it to the brake.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I unchecked the 90 kpm limit in options and bought a Volvo truck. bad combo. I was zipping down a highway going 130 and couldn't dodge a car in oncoming traffic, 35k in damages. The Volvo has some serious HP

Yeah, I never used the speed mod because I really didn't think I needed to go any faster in the game, but since they patched it in and I unchecked the limit in the options menu, I've been driving over 90kmh everywhere. Barreling down a nice straight and easy highway at 115 kpm, passing cars and trucks left and right, with 80's country playing on the radio, is a whole lot of fun!

I've also gotten more speeding tickets since then too. Oh, and I've crashed the truck more too. But eh, all part of the game!!!

dejay

Banned
I too have unchecked the speed restricted box and I'm loving life. I got to over 160km/h in Africa, which was fun.

I've finally gotten to a point - 6 drivers, 3 depots, where I can laugh off most fines. I try to steer clear of the fine-heavy countries too. I avoid red light fines by going on the wrong side of the road or the foot path - wrong side fines are only $100 and they're quite rare.

Tickles me to see the love this game is getting now after the sale.
We (the ones in the first, now abandoned OT) bought it full price, no regrets.

Welcome to EU trucking!

This has been a massive success for SCS, i can only imagine what an influx of millions must be like for a small east european dev. Hope they put it towards a World Truck Sim 2014.

I hope so too. A world truck sim game would be awesome. Hell even a north American sim game. I can just picture that cross country haul through beautiful scenery. Especially desert...

I hate when I end up bumping someone or something on a run. Kills the whole trip for me. I've also regressed with my parking. I was nailing it in the past but lately I've been having to make 2 attempts. I can hear the warehouse workers snicker.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a stupid question, but whatever: can you actually run out of gas in this game? So far my longest trip has been 340 KM or so, and I ended it with over 600 KM worth of gas still in the tank (according to the dashboard display). And that was because I started with half tank; other trips I began with full tank (don't know why that varies) and it said I still had over 2000 KM left.

brentech

Probably a stupid question, but whatever: can you actually run out of gas in this game? So far my longest trip has been 340 KM or so, and I ended it with over 600 KM worth of gas still in the tank (according to the dashboard display). And that was because I started with half tank; other trips I began with full tank (don't know why that varies) and it said I still had over 2000 KM left.

if you're doing quick runs and not using your own truck, the company setting you up on the run gives you enough gas to get there. So you'd have to really work at going out of your way to run out of gas.

Once you have your own truck, you need to fill up because you will run out of gas if you don't plan it out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pulled the trigger on a G27. It'll be here tomorrow.

Ha - I just ordered mine today as well. It should be here next week.

I'm excited to play iRacing and such, but I'm also excited to have a wheel to play a slightly less hardcore driving game (with what I'm hoping is realistic driving physics).

chris121580

I had this experience yesterday and I thought I had it bad. Didn't make it, huh?

khxEHoc.jpg

edit: I did make it. I was able to go another 22km. The 0kph is due to having stopped to take the picture.

Haha I ran out even closer to the pump then that. I coasted into the pump on fumes

calder

Pulled the trigger on a G27. It'll be here tomorrow.

Oh god I'm so jealous. My wife noticed how much I love Euro Truck and she mentioned I should get a wheel to play it because it seems like it would be much more fun, but I think she underestimates what a decent wheel/pedals would cost. Tempted to just take it as permission and act innocent lol.

Still loving the game. Driving at night is my favourite thing ever, and the best part of that (even better than the light traffic or listening to Sky's Nature station and chilling out) is the predawn hour when the sky first starts lightening up. So pretty, so relaxing.

I'm at level 11 now and I've been saving up for a new garage and some new trucks but I'm weak and last night I blew 100k just upgrading my rig. Not sure it was financially a smart move versus just getting a brand new truck but I really got attached to my MAN and love the look of it, so I buffed it out.

Oh, are there any speed mods that work properly? I've tried a couple and they never seem compatible with my save, so I'm only using the realistic physics mod (which honestly doesn't seem to change much of anything that I've noticed). I like the idea of getting tickets for crashes or not using your lights but the speed traps just annoy me, I slow down appropriately when entering a city but the random speed fluctuations on some of the highways just irk me. Ideally a mod that just alerts me to the cameras or reduces the amount of the fine maybe.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
if you're doing quick runs and not using your own truck, the company setting you up on the run gives you enough gas to get there. So you'd have to really work at going out of your way to run out of gas.

Once you have your own truck, you need to fill up because you will run out of gas if you don't plan it out.
Oh, I see. I don't have enough money to buy my own truck, so that's the reason then.

I should get a loan, so I can start my own company soon. Or is it better to raise money by doing deliveries? I'm already at around 30K euros.

Mengy

I like the idea of getting tickets for crashes or not using your lights but the speed traps just annoy me, I slow down appropriately when entering a city but the random speed fluctuations on some of the highways just irk me. Ideally a mod that just alerts me to the cameras or reduces the amount of the fine maybe.

Oh wow, a "radar detector" mod would be actually awesome for this game. Not a mod that removes the speed traps, but just a mod that warns you when they are coming up. I'll have to search tonight and see if something like that exists.

Oh, I see. I don't have enough money to buy my own truck, so that's the reason then.

I should get a loan, so I can start my own company soon. Or is it better to raise money by doing deliveries? I'm already at around 30K euros.

Get a loan, get 2 loans, the 100000 and 400000 and upgrade your garage hire 2 drivers and buy 3 trucks. You should have no problem paying back the loan and making a profit.

so I'm only using the realistic physics mod (which honestly doesn't seem to change much of anything that I've noticed)

Yeah, the realistic physics mod mainly seems to make the suspension feel bouncier. And I think it has some weird side effects -- I had my truck bounce a few feet off the ground (and take a bit of damage) after it "respawned" after my last job.

cbox

Was playing last night and I said, "let me plug in my 360 controller to see if works". I set it all up, and then as soon as I went back into the game, the steering wheel jerked to the left at 100% and my truck smashed into a few cars and flipped over.

back to mouse and keyboard for me...

Stitch

Gold Member
How is it?

It's pretty nice, better than I actually thought lol. But I never had another racing wheel so I can't compare it to anything.
The 180 degrees turning radius seems too be good enough. Well, for me at least. They've used rubber on the wheel so it's not slippery if you "drive" for a long time.

You can switch between xinput and directinput so it should work in pretty much every game. I had to turn down the vibration because it was way too heavy. I have it on 35% now, it was on 80% I think.

Anyway, I've watched Ice Road Truckers on History last night. They should make a game about it lol.

Was playing last night and I said, "let me plug in my 360 controller to see if works". I set it all up, and then as soon as I went back into the game, the steering wheel jerked to the left at 100% and my truck smashed into a few cars and flipped over.

Yeah i've found the controller to be staggeringly sensitive. I have sensitivity all the way to the left, but it's still crazy. Havn't had the time to tinker a little bit and see whats up.

DukeBobby

I can't wait for the new football season to begin. I look forward to cruising down the M1, listening to BBC Radio 5 live, and crashing whenever Everton concede a goal.

statham

My controller died on me while on a highway, ran off the road before I could hit the esc key.

SHarris78

Just found out why my game has been running so badly. My GTX780 is in the second PCI-E slot (my first x16 is broken) which was set to x2. Bumped it up to x4 and its much, much better. Got a new motherboard arriving tomorrow so i'll be back up to full speed again! Played earlier and was so busy looking at the lovely sea I didn't notice the stopped car ahead!!

Y7VdwW8.jpg

jet1911

Yeah i've found the controller to be staggeringly sensitive. I have sensitivity all the way to the left, but it's still crazy. Havn't had the time to tinker a little bit and see whats up.

Was the same before I went in the control options and changed the "input control" (or whatever it's called) from wheel to Xbox 360 controller. No more jerkiness.

Damn real world responsibilities are keeping me from trucking across Europe today. Dammit. Tonight though...

Also I find myself sleeping a lot so I can drive a night. With rain. It's so amazing.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm finally starting to get the hang of genuine cabin-view-only reverse parallel parking!
:D
The secret is to use your side mirrors to keep yourself aligned with your cargo, and make constant adjustments before you go in for that final reverse. If you do it right there's no need for an external view.

Man, Africa is no joke. I had to crawl up some of those hills at single-digit speeds, then coming down I almost flipped my truck once from over-correcting at such a high speed. I went for hours without seeing a gas station or hotel, then finally caught a glimpse of a gas station on the horizon and my engine promptly crapped out. I thought I was gonna die out there.

How do you play in Africa?

I'm finally starting to get the hang of genuine cabin-view-only reverse parallel parking!
:D
The secret is to use your side mirrors to keep yourself aligned with your cargo, and make constant adjustments before you go in for that final reverse. If you do it right there's no need for an external view.

How do you play in Africa?

Map Mod in the OP I would imagine. Adds a fuckton of new cities.

Munin

Do the content mods actually use new/original assets or just rehash/rearrange the existing ones and slap a new city name on it?

I haven't been everywhere or even close to it in the vanilla game but it looks like some original assets. The desert area looks nice but there is a particular palm tree model that I've seen elsewhere in the modded region that is pretty rough looking and is used often and close to the road.

I hope so too. A world truck sim game would be awesome. Hell even a north American sim game. I can just picture that cross country haul through beautiful scenery. Especially desert...
You should try SCS's previous games like American Long Haul or Haulin. They have good map mods for em... Kinda missing going through US.

They aren't as good looking as ETS2 but they are cool. I hope their next game is in US again or a world one would be cool but not holding my breath heh

I haven't been everywhere or even close to it in the vanilla game but it looks like some original assets. The desert area looks nice but there is a particular palm tree model that I've seen elsewhere in the modded region that is pretty rough looking and is used often and close to the road.

Yeah, some of the new stuff is a little sketchy compared to the original map. I've been pretty impressed overall though. The terrain feels very distinct -- Africa especially has been a lot more mountainous than what I've driven in the vanilla game, with a bunch of cool vistas and switchbacks.

Mengy

Yeah, some of the new stuff is a little sketchy compared to the original map. I've been pretty impressed overall though. The terrain feels very distinct -- Africa especially has been a lot more mountainous than what I've driven in the vanilla game, with a bunch of cool vistas and switchbacks.

That sounds awesome. I stayed down around Milano and southern Europe a lot because I like the mountain roads. Now that I have TSM 3.5 installed it sounds like I need to wander my truck over to Africa.

Just as an FYI, because I've seen a couple of people mention/ask about this: no, you definitely don't need a steering wheel to enjoy ETS2. I was lazy and so hadn't set up my Driving Force GT until yesterday (had the Xbox wheel on my stand for Forza Horizon, hilariously enough) so I'd been using my PS3 controller via USB and Xinput Wrapper for a few days.

Driving with a wheel does feel better, especially when it comes to parking the truck--having that direct control over the wheel's rotation means you can respond faster to your trailer jack-knifing--but I definitely wouldn't call it a necessity. In fact, some things are a bit more difficult, like looking around the cabin. I have my camera controls hooked up to the D-pad on the wheel, but this is ludicrously impractical if you're in the middle of a tight turn and the wheel's upside down and you just need to look right but oh god the d-pad's on the other side of the wheel now and upside down and you don't even have your hand in the right spot because you're doing arm-over-arm turning and whatever I hope I don't crush a car by mistake.

So don't worry if you don't own a wheel. It's less realistic, sure, but I don't think it's any less fun or relaxing!

brentech

My game completely freezes on loading when I put the radio stations from the OP, any idea why?
A hard lock?

My game freezes as it loads the channel for a few seconds, then starts playing and is fine.

I have used the ones from the game, but I usually have a few of my own feeds running now.

calder

My game completely freezes on loading when I put the radio stations from the OP, any idea why?

If the stream isn't valid it hangs up for quite a long time (up to a full minute) on my system before finally unfreezing with no audio. I had added some BBC stations someone else posted in this thread but they didn't work, looks like the links weren't kosher.

When I select most internet radio stations the game pauses for a second or two before it begins playing, that seems to be normal.

That reminds me, I'm too lazy to find the stream URL for some stations. Does anyone have any links to some North American news or sports stations handy? I like the ambience of the Euro stations but local news or sports would be cool too.

If the stream isn't valid it hangs up for quite a long time (up to a full minute) on my system before finally unfreezing with no audio. I had added some BBC stations someone else posted in this thread but they didn't work, looks like the links weren't kosher.

The ones in the massive radio "mod" work.

I've had it happen before also. No idea why. I haven't had that problem since I used the massive radio mod though.

calder

The ones in the massive radio "mod" work.
Yeah I use that one exclusively now. I trimmed out a few dozen stations and it's near perfect, the only thing I really miss is the Liverpool rock station that shows up when you use the default "internet" stream update in the game. That station was awesome, I need to track that one down again and add it manually.

Top Bottom