• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Took the plunge, bought the retarder, mapped it to my 360 pad. Turned on air brake simulation. Basically from what I've read, you use your "proper" brakes too much and you loose pressure, they stop working, your truck won't move. I'm doing ok so far, engine braking and retarder take some getting used to in "emergencies" :)

I have retarder up/down mapped to up/down on the dpad and the engine brake as a left analogue click in.

So In full, I'm

left trigger = "proper" brakes
Right Trigger = Accelerate
select = lights on/off
start = re-center view
left analogue = steer
left analogue click = engine braking
left/right sholders = gear down/gear up
dpad left/right = indicators
dpad up down = retarder levels
right analogue = look around cabin
right analogue click = horn
x = high beams
y = wipers
b = cycle display (petrol/cruise/temps)
a = cruise control

I play with pad and keyboard in front of me. I feel my pad setup has everything I'd need immediately in any situation, whilst being as "manual" as possible in gears/sim stuff.

Views, Trailer lock/unlock, map etc I all use direct from my KB.

this sounds like a good control setup, looking forward to trying it!

Milamber

A G27 to play Euro Truck Sim. Holy shit.

And I wish I could get a G27 for that cheap here in the UK. The Driving Force GT costs almost £100 on average here.

OCz1eIf.png

Ugh, had to cancel my order. Maybe I shouldn't have told her.

p3tran

Banned
I might have to bite the bullet and order a DFGT from Logitech and the wheelstand pro from amazon. I do 'play' other sims though i'm not very good at them :)

dfgt's wheel is decent enough. you can always be on the look for a good deal in better pedals to match it at some point.
for the money though, its good wheel.

Milamber

I'm looking for a cheaper Wheel alternative that is acceptable at $100 instead. But there are no 900 degree types at that price.

I know :(

I've managed to talk myself down from the Fanatec Porsche bundle for about £290 through the Logitech G27 and i'm now looking at the Logitech Driving Force GT or the Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch... and a wheel stand. The Thrustmaster T500 was right out. I'm not that hardcore.

I might have to bite the bullet and order a DFGT from Logitech and the wheelstand pro from amazon. I do 'play' other sims though i'm not very good at them :)

Any good places to look out for wheel deals in the UK?

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS3LOGE004

£50 Pre-Owned. I got one from here last week and it was totally fine! I couldn't say no once I saw it!

Addnan

I'm looking for a cheaper Wheel alternative that is acceptable at $100 instead. But there are no 900 degree types at that price.

Driving force GT is what you are looking for. Although might need to shop around for sub $100. Currently $135 at Amazon.

Double D

OCz1eIf.png

Ugh, had to cancel my order. Maybe I shouldn't have told her.

Lol. I threw a G27 in my amazon cart a couple of days ago and just have been debating pulling the trigger ever since. My wife asked me last night what 'that $200 thing' was in there. I told her it was a wheel and she didn't flinch. Hopefully it gets here on Saturday.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
you wheel people are crazy
KuGsj.gif

I don't know if I dare play this game now.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Maybe I need to try a different camera then, I'm using top-down. It's really hard to function using a controller as I can't seem to get camera looking to work on it. so I'd have to control with part mouse, and part controller. The backing up never seems to completely work. I wonder if it's the realistic physics? Or maybe my tire angle is still slightly off.

I was using the outside top down camera too and had enormous problems with it - definitely switch to the in-the-cab view and hit F2 to bring up both side mirrors. I use the xbox pc controller and not a keyboard, but once I switched to the in-the-cab view and remembered to "steer toward the side that your ass is on", parking became much easier. I really recommend checking out some parking tutorials on youtube for this game. It's much clearer once you see it in action.

brentech

I bought a DFGT wheel for GT5 back when it released. Haven't used it for much else. Might bring it upstairs today and hook to PC. Only reason I haven't already is I like using the controller to easily look around when turning and such along with many of functions.

With a wheel, I think I'm going to have to touch my keyboard and mouse more often.

statham

I think my CPU is causing the game to hiccup every minute or so. I get 60fps for the most part but it'll hiccup and drop down to the low 20's or teens. Anyone know of a graphical setting I could lower to help the cpu?

edit: I switched to simple setting and put it at high, seems to of worked.

I'm trying to find a link for the TSM Map download but I'm getting led into some obscure dutch websites or something like that, that I can't understand a thing from. Anyone would be friendly enough to link to the website you downloaded from ?

Double D

I'm trying to find a link for the TSM Map download but I'm getting led into some obscure dutch websites or something like that, that I can't understand a thing from. Anyone would be friendly enough to link to the website you downloaded from ?

I don't know of any other place than the link in the OP. Just google translate the page.

brentech

I'm using the D-Pad on my wheel to look around. It's a bit slow but good enough.

Just brought it up to the office. I kind of forgot how many buttons were on the thing. I should be able to work it out I think.

edit: WOW, more than enough buttons to get everything how I like. Haven't used the wheel in a little over a year I think. damn.
Now I just need to get it to calibrate correctly and I'm set. Picked all my controls and drove around with a misalligned wheel for a short bit. Going to take some getting used to.

i installed the truck sim map 3.5...but it seems like my income is really low. They want me to go 1100km and i'd only get 1700 for it!

Also anyone know what the 'Justplay' mod does? i see it around, but no one says what it does lol

edit: with the map mod, job offers are worth 4 pounds/km . Without they are 12/km. Dang, how do you fix this. Would take forever to get a truck this way

Thanks to this thread, I decided to get this the other day through that Italian site for use with Steam and I've completely fallen in love with it! Thanks a lot ETS2Gaf!

Been enjoying the game vanilla so far and was just looking into the mods for it. Quick question though regarding the TSM Map 3.5 mod. I know that the Real Trailer Textures mod changes the monies earned from deliveries to make it harder, but is the TSM mod supposed to do it too?

TSM Mod Disabled:

TSM Mod Enabled:

The only other mod I've got activated was the Realistic Companies mod. Tried it without that one on and it still reduces the income from the jobs.

So is it supposed to be like that? Or have I done something wrong?

Thanks!

you ever find a fix for this? as it stands, i'll have to disable the map mod cause there's really no way to make money like that. Shame, the map looked cool too :(

jyoung188

When I get to a new city do I have to drive down every road to make them yellow for my percentage discovered or does just discovering the city cover that? I always drop of my trailer after a job and drive down every street and discover every dealership and pull into every thing I can to turn everything yellow does everyone else do that?

Edit: And I've found a better solution for not having head tracking or multiple monitors with my wheel set up. While in town, I keep one hand on the wheel for steering, and I look around with the mouse with my other hand and mapped secondary controls for up shifting and down shifting to two of the side buttons on my mouse so I don't have to use the d-pad on the xbox wheel to look around. It works so much better for me and I don't have to take my hand off the mouse every time I want to shift especially at low speeds around town where I need to look around for traffic and tight corners.

I was using the outside top down camera too and had enormous problems with it - definitely switch to the in-the-cab view and hit F2 to bring up both side mirrors. I use the xbox pc controller and not a keyboard, but once I switched to the in-the-cab view and remembered to "steer toward the side that your ass is on", parking became much easier. I really recommend checking out some parking tutorials on youtube for this game. It's much clearer once you see it in action.

Yea I'll give this a shot. I've switched to in-cab for backing up when not hauling a trailer and it's definitely a lot easier. I think it will work out. Thanks for the tips.

Cigol

you ever find a fix for this? as it stands, i'll have to disable the map mod cause there's really no way to make money like that. Shame, the map looked cool too :(
Open the mod in 7zip (or whatever you use) and edit the appropiate values (using a text editor) by comparing to what other mod it is you use. I have read they reduce the money because hardcore users complain of making too much and not having anything to spend it on. So could be the reason why.

Tu101uk

No, unfortunately not.

I'll just wait until I max my level out a bit to turn it on. Once I put a few more skill points on, the prices for jobs should be a bit more reasonable methinks.

EDIT:
Open the mod in 7zip (or whatever you use) and edit the appropiate values (using a text editor) by comparing to what other mod it is you use. I have read they reduce the money because hardcore users complain of making too much and not having anything to spend it on. So could be the reason why.

Hmm might have a fiddle around with it. I guess I have to compare the values to the default ones?

Double D

Here I just uploaded it.

No police mod download

Is there a mod to turn of the fines? I just want to do stupid shit and not lose money.

Alo linked it to me earlier. Just a heads up, If you end up not resting in time, you'll just keep getting a pop up saying you've been fined $0 for not resting. You will be unable to rest until you save your game, exit out, turn off the mod, get back into the game and rest. Then back out and turn the mod back on. Again, that's only if you wait too long to rest and get the fine.

Lettuce

Took the plunge, bought the retarder, mapped it to my 360 pad. Turned on air brake simulation. Basically from what I've read, you use your "proper" brakes too much and you loose pressure, they stop working, your truck won't move. I'm doing ok so far, engine braking and retarder take some getting used to in "emergencies" :)

I have retarder up/down mapped to up/down on the dpad and the engine brake as a left analogue click in.

So In full, I'm

left trigger = "proper" brakes
Right Trigger = Accelerate
select = lights on/off
start = re-center view
left analogue = steer
left analogue click = engine braking
left/right sholders = gear down/gear up
dpad left/right = indicators
dpad up down = retarder levels
right analogue = look around cabin
right analogue click = horn
x = high beams
y = wipers
b = cycle display (petrol/cruise/temps)
a = cruise control

I play with pad and keyboard in front of me. I feel my pad setup has everything I'd need immediately in any situation, whilst being as "manual" as possible in gears/sim stuff.

Views, Trailer lock/unlock, map etc I all use direct from my KB.

How to you config all these button inside the game, i can only see a few options in the controller settings?

brentech

As I had just thought about uninstalling it, but tried playing a game without it, I realized how important it was.

Razor Synapse 2.0, virtual surround
http://www.razerzone.com/surround

Increases sound fidelity, particularly well for headphones, but even on speakers it's quite amazing, as that's how I play this game. Going without it for a just a moment and it's very noticeable so I kept it. I just generally don't like running 3rd party stuff for something like sound.
I knew it was great for BF3, didn't realize how amazing it made this game sound until I finally tried without it.

Man, Africa is no joke. I had to crawl up some of those hills at single-digit speeds, then coming down I almost flipped my truck once from over-correcting at such a high speed. I went for hours without seeing a gas station or hotel, then finally caught a glimpse of a gas station on the horizon and my engine promptly crapped out. I thought I was gonna die out there.

Sye d'Burns

Man, Africa is no joke. I had to crawl up some of those hills at single-digit speeds, then coming down I almost flipped my truck once from over-correcting at such a high speed. I went for hours without seeing a gas station or hotel, then finally caught a glimpse of a gas station on the horizon and my engine promptly crapped out. I thought I was gonna die out there.

I had this experience yesterday and I thought I had it bad. Didn't make it, huh?

khxEHoc.jpg

edit: I did make it. I was able to go another 22km. The 0kph is due to having stopped to take the picture.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I had this experience yesterday and I though I had it bad. Didn't make it, huh?

khxEHoc.jpg

Oh man, that sucks!!! I've never done that, but I've had the gauge in the red a couple of times. Not a good feeling trucking on through the night and you know that next gas station is just a little farther away than you would like it to be...

I had this experience yesterday and I though I had it bad. Didn't make it, huh?

Hah, ouch. :(

I probably would have made it to the gas station, but I ended up getting towed due to my engine malfunction. Between that and my cargo getting t-boned at an intersection (one of those with the floating chevrons, guy just appeared through them going 80 mph)... let's just say it wasn't my most profitable run.

Sye d'Burns

Oh man, that sucks!!! I've never done that, but I've had the gauge in the red a couple of times. Not a good feeling trucking on through the night and you know that next gas station is just a little farther away than you would like it to be...

Oh, I made it. Just barely. I was really sweating the preceding in-game hour after I realized I had missed the gas station I planned to stop at.

Hah, ouch. :(

I probably would have made it to the gas station, but I ended up getting towed due to my engine malfunction. Between that and my cargo getting t-boned at an intersection (one of those with the floating chevrons, guy just appeared through them going 80 mph)... let's just say it wasn't my most profitable run.

I hate that feeling; the one where you see your profit slipping through your fingers.

I thought the UK was bad with cameras but man, I can't go to Bratislava without getting tickets left and right.

statham

I unchecked the 90 kpm limit in options and bought a Volvo truck. bad combo. I was zipping down a highway going 130 and couldn't dodge a car in oncoming traffic, 35k in damages. The Volvo has some serious HP

What is a retarder?

I think it's a device that limits the engine's output for a while which slows down the vehicle. In the US they are commonly known as 'Jake Brakes' i think. Used instead of brakes or engine brakes in some circumstances.

In Europe i think we also call them Governors.

Top Bottom