• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cultural differences between Japan and other parts of the world on how a business should be run?

Important for the understanding of Japanese institutions and companies is the fact, that – in addition to the also given goal to generate profits – integrative values are very highly rated.

Even today big Japanese companies believe that the faithfulness of the employees as well as the love for the company are a must-have ingredient for (economical) corporate success. Alongside the company-faithfulness (this is more than loyalty) is the goal of harmony within the company; the willingness to compromise, as well as a non-aggressive attitude is highly valued in the Japanese business world.

These historically grown rules and practices are being applied when working together with foreign companies. The focus of the Japanese companies is always on the long-term goal of doing business together. The Long-term orientation is always the center of the relationship, rather than maximising profits in a one-off deal. The prerequisite for a good and long-term collaboration is a deep feeling of trust, the same kind of trust between real friends.

http://www.successacross.com/filead...lish_You_don_t_get_anywhere_without_trust.pdf

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If you just want to win an argument, go nuts. "Nintendo doesn't like this news at the release of a game" does not seem like a particularly controversial statement that you seem really intent on disproving by putting wheels on a goalpost so I'm just going to check out of it now.

Lord have mercy. It's not even an argument. Yes, Nintendo doesn't like this news.

Okay, now what? I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm saying "Yeah, so?" Why exactly should we care?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Pokemon Eklipse or nothing!
Btw I'm expecting a MH3Ultimate kind of game, graphically.
that is good, I suppose, for a mainline pokemon game playable both on the go and at home?
Plus, everyone knows that the first-two versions of a pokemon game arent' the only one/s, so I don't see any major damage to Sun/Moon sales actually.

random25

While we talk more about how this is going to affect Nintendo, I think the direct hit of this leak goes to the retailers. Amazon gonna be like "Hey, I already bought you your copy now. Gonna ship it just about right no---oh you're cancelling your preorder? Because of Switch version rumor? OK. Thanks, Eurogamer." 10m copies have already been shipped, so Big N is already making bank, anyway.

While the possibility of lost sales would only be pretty small because of this, they are still lost sales. I'm not saying what Eurogamer did was intentionally bad, but the other side of the argument also has valid points.

This has to be PokeBank compatible right?

From the OP:

And there will be reason to play both: Pokémon will be tradable between Sun/Moon and Stars via the Pokémon Box app. We've also heard suggestion there will be more creatures to collect in the Switch version, although not all of our sources could confirm this.

Eurogamer corrected their article to name the app correctly as Pokemon Bank.

I don't wanna be a downer, but this is killing my hype for Sun & Moon 3DS. Stars sounds like it'll be the bigger, badder, definitive version. 3rd entries always were and the fact that it's on a hybrid is a game changer. What's the incentive of picking up the 3DS entries outside of merely not having to wait? It says you can trade pokemon between both. Guess that's cool, but not sure it's enough.

ionitron

This thread really blew up. From the op is there any reason to really believe this aside from "multiple sources?"

I mean I'm not really surprised or anything but this is being treated like confirmed news and I'm wondering if I really missed anything.

The Lamp

I'm not denying that Nintendo is upset about this leak

but medium term I really doubt they're that worried about people waiting. you're denying them $40 now to give them over $300 next year and also to add to the Switch's install base which is crucial for their hardware business going forward. personally, given pokemon will sell well anyway, I'd take the trade off.

It's not unreasonable to expect it to be more profitable to sell a 3DS game now, with their teams, manufacturing processes, and retail agreements established and low-cost, compared to the cost of delivering a risky Switch product next year, so I'm not confident about your conclusions.

This thread really blew up. From the op is there any reason to really believe this aside from "multiple sources?"

I mean I'm not really surprised or anything but this is being treated like confirmed news and I'm wondering if I really missed anything.

MCVUK reported Pokemon was coming to Switch in August and a couple months later Game Freak themselves said they had something in the works.

Plus it just makes sense to think that if Sun and Moon get a third version, it probably won't be locked to 3DS.

phanphare

Banned
It's not unreasonable to expect it to be more profitable to sell a 3DS game now, with their teams, manufacturing processes, and retail agreements established and low-cost, compared to the cost of delivering a risky Switch product next year, so I'm not confident about your conclusions.

you're referring to a full fledged Pokemon game as a risky product so I'm not confident about your conclusion either

The profit opportunity for someone buying a new piece of hardware that will have years of future software support is much greater than for someone buying a game for a piece of hardware they already own, or even buying hardware that peaked years ago to play that game.

You're talking about the margin for one game + maybe some older titles with limited market activity vs. the margin for several games, many of which will increasingly depend on long-term services support.

Maxinas

I think people are forgetting something important. Anyone who's been a pokemon fan for years knows that there has usually, almost always been a new pokemon game every year. This is no exception, it's a third version of sun/moon, and just like previous generations, will be released within 1-2 years after the first versions. The only major difference is that it will be on an entirely new platform, which not everyone will be willing to buy, because they will be satisfied with their 3ds.

This won't hurt sales, in fact, as pointed out by others already, it might have completely convinced people to buy the switch day one, if pokemon will be there within 1 year of it's lifetime. Might have ruined the surprise though, but honestly, who wasn't expecting a new pokemon game shortly after sun/moon?

random25

Chances that Gaf crashes on January 12th are decreasing. It's too bad that so much about the Switch has leaked.

I don't think that Pokémon Star will be something that they will show at January 12. I can see it happening at E3 just to give a little more breathing room for S/M on 3DS plus it is a traditional holiday game so they won't announce it too soon, especially when there are other more games coming out way before it.

Kneefoil

I don't wanna be a downer, but this is killing my hype for Sun & Moon 3DS. Stars sounds like it'll be the bigger, badder, definitive version. 3rd entries always were and the fact that it's on a hybrid is a game changer. What's the incentive of picking up the 3DS entries outside of merely not having to wait? It says you can trade pokemon between both. Guess that's cool, but not sure it's enough.

Magearna and the Munchlax with a Z Move probably won't be available by the time Stars comes out, so there is that. You also might not be able to get Ash-Greninja directly into Stars like you can into Sun and Moon via the demo.

Lebon14

FINALLY. Finally a mainline Pokemon game on the big screen and in HD!
Still getting Pokemon Moon and another 2/3DS at some point

Mega

Banned
Will wait for the Switch version. I'm kind of done with the 3DS awful low-res screen that does absolutely no favors for modern 3D games.

I don't think that Pokémon Star will be something that they will show at January 12. I can see it happening at E3 just to give a little more breathing room for S/M on 3DS plus it is a traditional holiday game so they won't announce it too soon, especially when there are other more games coming out way before it.

Yeah, I think Stars will be announced on its own terms for sure.

If it was revealed in January, imagine the frustration from Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 being announced 5 months after the original and now multiply that by 100.

No surprises here, other than that it's exclusive to Switch. I dunno for some reason I kind of thought that the third game (Stars is what we're calling it I guess) would be a multiplatform release (3DS & Switch). Well I already bought both Sun & Moon and I'll triple dip for "Stars" as well so you got my money Nintendo.

but medium term I really doubt they're that worried about people waiting. you're denying them $40 now to give them over $300 next year and also to add to the Switch's install base which is crucial for their hardware business going forward. personally, given pokemon will sell well anyway, I'd take the trade off.
Oh I agree, I think that's a tradeoff far better for them long-term.

DMONKUMA

This just guarantees that I will get a Switch in 2017 whether it be at launch or later in the year I will get one.

The funny thing about the evidence of the model in the reveal trailer. I'm pretty sure that is the Sun/Moon model. The models having large polygon counts is part of why the games perform so badly on the 3ds but they are pretty future proof as a result.

I could see it being New 3DS and switch only as that would emulate what Crystal did back in Gen II (GBC only) and I think for Sun/Moon the New 3DS only currently uses some more RAM (which o3DS has to reboot to get hold of).

Since Sun and Moon have no 3d effect I was already skipping them and I'm glad to see Switch will have the third version as I was hoping, an HD version will hopefully be cool to have portable and on the TV.
The last time we had a traditional 3rd version was Platinum. Black/White 3rd version were sequels that had you going through the overworld differently with a new plot, Gen VI took a year out to make Gen VII better so got no 3rd version (and boy did XY need that) and Sun Moon do have
several vacant plots of land in the world which scream "there could be gyms here and given we just got the Pokemon league this would be next" but more similarly to recent 3rd versions are hints of some legendaries having different formes

I'm also willing to bet that the number of people who choose to wait will be relatively small. For those who own a 3DS right now and were already waiting to play the game this fall, why wait another year when it involves buying more hardware? The only people I see this seriously affecting are those who don't own a 3DS yet and might have considered buying one this fall.

There's also the extremely small minority who I see complaining about the FPS issues. I understand why that's visually unappealing, but it wouldn't keep me from playing the game. Especially when said issues happen during turn-based battles.

Oersted

MCVUK reported Pokemon was coming to Switch in August and a couple months later Game Freak themselves said they had something in the works.

Plus it just makes sense to think that if Sun and Moon get a third version, it probably won't be locked to 3DS.

The Pokemon Company CEO, not Game Freak. But thats just nitpicking on my part.

Mokujin

It makes sense that Nintendo tries to dish out as much big guns as possible close to launch.

First decent resolution Pokemon with TV play seems like a nice add to the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom