• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuningas de Häme;224911272 said:
Those having fun with my post did miss a point maybe. I mean, if that leaker is willing to do that, it is a short way to give info similar to what was given to SMD.

And think about it, if they'd leak some sensitive information to the main rivals of Nintendo? Tell something crucial about Nintendo's next console and then Sony and Microsoft could easily 1-up that, thus destroying Ninty's momentum?

Maybe I am oldfashioned, but I was raised to respect the contracts I make. I truly believe that people should act with honour. If you give your word, you need to keep to it. Is it so difficult consept for you?

That is the reason I hope that the persons leaking this stuff won't get a job in the industry again. Nothing personal, but I wouldn't want a person like that work for me.

And yeah, vidiagamez yada yada. Nothing serious.

And of course Nintendo won't be hurt (a lot) about this leak. It is Pokemon after all, that is like the hen laying those golden eggs.

It just irritates me when people act like these leakers are some kind of rebel heroes.

But live is life, na naa naa na na like some ancient philosopher said. Live and let die, flowers and all the hippie stuff.

So, how's it going at the Nintendo offices at the moment?

If we're honest, no one is actually canceling their pre-order. Even if they do, more information available is better than less for those to decide what they do with their money.

I understand money now > money later (I run a business) but from a consumer state of mind, I'm okay with knowing this information to make a more informed decision. As a consumer, I don't care about Nintendo's coffers. Just more value for my money and better information on how to spend it.
I don't think I was ever arguing what was better or worse for the consumer so that is an odd digression.

You seem pretty insistent that this should in no way frustrate Nintendo, deserved or otherwise, and I'm only saying that it likely will. Not sure what to tell you that would convince you but it is what it is.

True Fire

Cuningas de Häme;224903535 said:
Those leakers will be shot down, hard.

I mean, this stuff right here is impacting Nintendo's profit from Sun/Moon because people are not bying those. They will hunt the leakers down and punish them.

They tried to swallow a fish too big, now they'll choke on it.

I am not sorry for them, have to say. They must feel important when they can read about their leaks from the internet.

Journalists are only doing their work, don't know why people are picking on them. But those leakers... Don't approve.

They are most likely from some localisation teams or the testers, because leaks are happening just now. And they are even from Japan games too. I can't believe that there's dozens upon dozens of leakers, there is absolutely some overlapping with all these reporters.

World is in a bad shape when nothing can be trusted anymore. Not liking this direction at all.

LOL nothing is going to happen to anyone, and these rumours are probably half-truths if anything

watershed

Banned
I don't think higher res assets is enough to make this game look pretty on a console. For a 3ds game its good enough visually but still far below the best efforts om that platform. It's gonna be fugly on the Switch without major upgrades.

Berordn

I'm mostly interested in what this means for Switch/3DS cross communication. Will people playing Stars still be able to trade and battle locally with Sun/Moon players? Would Gamefreak rather just shut them out entirely except for bank and start clean? Is this even a Gen VII game or the start of something else entirely?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
No. Keep going. XY are somewhere between good and mediocre at best.

Not unless you really want to wait as much as a full year for this. I can't imagine this comes any earlier than August, at the very earliest. Gamefreak typically takes at least 1-2 years for their third versions.

NVM. Literally just got the notification that it's ready to ship. Guess I don't have much of a choice now :p

I don't think higher res assets is enough to make this game look pretty on a console. For a 3ds game its good enough visually but still far below the best efforts om that platform. It's gonna be fugly on the Switch without major upgrades.
Pokemon games are absolutely going to suffer if they're not the best looking games on the system.

Nintendo, cancel this game and apologize.

Cuningas de Häme;224911272 said:
And think about it, if they'd leak some sensitive information to the main rivals of Nintendo? Tell something crucial about Nintendo's next console and then Sony and Microsoft could easily 1-up that, thus destroying Ninty's momentum?

When Nintendo's business model is to destroy the value propositions that have defined Sony and Microsoft's approach to game hardware and software, it's really not that easy for Sony and Microsoft to completely abandon their approach just to one-up Nintendo.

watershed

Banned
Pokemon games are absolutely going to suffer if they're not the best looking games on the system.

Nintendo, cancel this game and apologize.
I didn't say that. I said it's probably gonna be ugly. I know pokemon games are not stunners but a first on console mainline game could and it probably won't. That's sad to me.

I'd have to say that it was kinda scummy to wait until the day of release to release this info. I understand why they did it but it still seems low down but hey Nintendo wants to make more money by releasing another version and Eurogamer wants more clicks. Its all just business.

I, uh, huh? It's not like this is an article saying Sun&Moon 3DS are broken or have some crippling performance issue. They still work just fine and are out as of today.

Any Switch version probably won't be out for another year or so. I doubt most people who care enough to buy the 3DS versions would want to wait around a year just to play the base game.

LordKano

I didn't say that. I said it's probably gonna be ugly. I know pokemon games are not stunners but a first on console mainline game could and it probably won't. That's sad to me.

Why exactly would it be ugly ? They're reworking the game, they won't just put the 3DS game in 1080p and call it a day.

Crocodile

This is actually much less true for Japanese businesses.

Why?

I understand money now > money later (I run a business) but from a consumer state of mind, I'm okay with knowing this information to make a more informed decision. As a consumer, I don't care about Nintendo's coffers. Just more value for my money and better information on how to spend it.

I'm not Nintendo nor do I own Nintendo stock so this news has little affect on my life. But you seemed to imply this was good news for Nintendo. If I'm looking at things through their perspective, I fail to see how this is "good" for them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think I was ever arguing what was better or worse for the consumer so that is an odd digression.

You seem pretty insistent that this should in no way frustrate Nintendo, deserved or otherwise, and I'm only saying that it likely will. Not sure what to tell you that would convince you but it is what it is.

This news won't make a dent to Pokemon Sun and Moon's sales. Yes, this news may frustrate Nintendo but...so? Why does it matter? What difference does it make? What are they going to do? What is the point of even saying it?

Tell that to the hundreds of people who have called my store to ask where the NES Classic is. =P

Nintendo really doesn't seem to mind "losing sales" since they do a good job of it themselves.

I really feel like you don't remember what Diamond and Pearl looked like.

I also think you guys are expecting the next generation to look like Ni no Kuni. It will be the next incremental step in the graphical path they're on. The merging of handheld and console does not mean every handheld series is becoming a AAA eye buster. It means there will be a lot of handheld series you can play on a TV.

Make peace with that now.

This news won't make a dent to Pokemon Sun and Moon's sales. Yes, this news may frustrate Nintendo but...so? Why does it matter? What difference does it make? What are they going to do? What is the point of even saying it?

Tell that to the hundreds of people who have called my store to ask where the NES Classic is. =P

Nintendo really doesn't seem to mind "losing sales" since they do a good job of it themselves.
You have gone from this is good for Nintendo -> this has no effect on Nintendo -> who cares it's good for consumers -> it doesn't effect Nintendo but it might but who cares but also fuck Nintendo because they didn't ship enough NES Classics so they don't care about losing sales. I am not sure you even know what you're arguing at this point.

If you just want to win an argument, go nuts. "Nintendo doesn't like this news at the release of a game" does not seem like a particularly controversial statement that you seem really intent on disproving by putting wheels on a goalpost so I'm just going to check out of it now.

The Lamp

It's just a fucking video game man.

I mean, you're right, but Nintendo is a huge company selling a $300-400 million dollar MSRP initial shipment of product. Anything that bites away from their sales is important to them, particularly a leak like this on launch day. The game industry is worth a lot of money. Product launches are important with multi-million dollars on the line. It does make a difference in launching consumer products. Even if only 0.5% of potential launch buyers avoid buying SM at launch because of this news, that could be about $1.5-2MM in losses.

antibolo

Banned
I mean, you're right, but Nintendo is a huge company selling a $300-400 million dollar MSRP initial shipment of product. Anything that bites away from their sales is important to them, particularly a leak like this on launch day. The game industry is worth a lot of money. Product launches are important with multi-million dollars on the line.

A mainline Pokemon game will do well no matter what.

You have gone from this is good for Nintendo -> this has no effect on Nintendo -> who cares it's good for consumers -> it doesn't effect Nintendo but it might but who cares but also fuck Nintendo because they didn't ship enough NES Classics so they don't care about losing sales. I am not sure you even know what you're arguing at this point.

If you just want to win an argument, go nuts. "Nintendo doesn't like this news at the release of a game" does not seem like a particularly controversial statement that you seem really intent on disproving by putting wheels on a goalpost so I'm just going to check out of it now.

To add to this, while I can't say much about Nintendo as a monolith, I can definitely say that this leak has made a good number of people's jobs harder and more awkward today, people who don't have any say in creative decisions by Nintendo.

I mean, it's part of the territory, but I can think of a good chunk of the company that is CURRENTLY upset about this leak. Not just "will be", "are".

Alberto is right, the fact that Nintendo doesn't like this revelation isn't really up for debate.

Since Sun and Moon have no 3d effect I was already skipping them and I'm glad to see Switch will have the third version as I was hoping, an HD version will hopefully be cool to have portable and on the TV.

Hydrus

Lol, you know what would be hilarious? If Gamefreak disabled the ability to play on TV. It would be the most gamefreak thing they could do.

The Lamp

A mainline Pokemon game will do well no matter what.

That's not the point. It's not going to tank, but it can cost the company money (like I said, $MM in revenue) so of course Nintendo cares. The narrative that Nintendo shouldn't or won't care is wrong.

Aters

Cuningas de Häme;224903535 said:
Those leakers will be shot down, hard.

I mean, this stuff right here is impacting Nintendo's profit from Sun/Moon because people are not bying those. They will hunt the leakers down and punish them.

They tried to swallow a fish too big, now they'll choke on it.

I am not sorry for them, have to say. They must feel important when they can read about their leaks from the internet.

Journalists are only doing their work, don't know why people are picking on them. But those leakers... Don't approve.

They are most likely from some localisation teams or the testers, because leaks are happening just now. And they are even from Japan games too. I can't believe that there's dozens upon dozens of leakers, there is absolutely some overlapping with all these reporters.

World is in a bad shape when nothing can be trusted anymore. Not liking this direction at all.

Fuck it. Nintendo's "releasing a better 3rd version one year later" is already anti-customer. They should at least release a patch so that people can upgrade their old version to the new one.

"If we're honest, no one is actually canceling their pre-order."

I just did lol. I think I'll wait so I don't have to put up with the slow performance on my 2DS. No thanks!

Fuck it. Nintendo's "releasing a better 3rd version one year later" is already anti-customer. They should at least release a patch so that people can upgrade their old version to the new one.

...............a patch for Sun/Moon that purchases a Switch and Stars when you download it?

Seik

Banned
Is there anything we can do to stop this?

Pokemon is too important to be sabotaged by the leaks of a news outlet like Eurogamer. I felt sickened just seeing all the hard work of Nintendo and Gamefreak being insulted like this.

Vena

What an ill-conceived thing to say.

What is the patch going to do? Download new hardware into the 3DS? This is a third game on different hardware for said different hardware.

And, ya, Derek alluded to this yesterday but parts if not all of Nintendo are going to be livid over this leak. I feel sorry for those who get caught up in this.

phanphare

Banned
"If we're honest, no one is actually canceling their pre-order."

I just did lol. I think I'll wait so I don't have to put up with the slow performance on my 2DS. No thanks!

I'm not denying that Nintendo is upset about this leak

but medium term I really doubt they're that worried about people waiting. you're denying them $40 now to give them over $300 next year and also to add to the Switch's install base which is crucial for their hardware business going forward. personally, given pokemon will sell well anyway, I'd take the trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom