• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Okay, so I preordered Sun, but it still hasn't gotten here yet (should get here Tuesday). I ordered it so that I would have a game to play over the Thanksgiving break. However, with this news in mind, should I cancel my preorder and get X or Y instead?

Let's hope it's as different as Yellow was to Red/Blue.

I'm all for third versions, but I loved how Yellow straight up gave you and your rival a different starter and added new characters to the story. Maybe with Ash Greninja in the game, they'll tie it into the anime again.

All the third versions aside for crystal made some pretty significant changes. Often rebalancing the games for increased difficulty, changing around new events, adding new story and postgame content (now I finally won't have to hear complaints about a lack of post game in this generation). Basically, it takes an otherwise good base and makes it a classic.

HardRojo

I gotta say though, the timing for this rumor is really bad for S&M launch, I wonder if it'll reach a wider audience and impact sales.

How many people here are cancelling their 3DS pre-orders?

Just curiosity.

Yeaaaah. I cancelled mine too lol. Not just because of these news, but people school is really busy now, I'll barely get to play it before FFXV is out. The little time I'm going to have off will most likely be spent on that instead. So I'll gladly wait for the Switch version.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say though, the timing for this rumor is really bad for S&M launch, I wonder if it'll reach a wider audience and impact sales.
Nah, it'll be an almost unnoticeable dent at best. These games already broke pre-order records.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

But its really good for their new SYSTEM and sales of Pokemon Stars.

There is no real downside here. ANYONE saying "Will wait for Stars" will have to buy a SYSTEM to play it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They stopped doing third versions after Gen IV. So yeah, this is the first third version since 2008.

No, Black and White 2 are third version but just did differently.

ummmm excuse me alberto pokemon is meant to be a handheld experience where people get together and trade pokemon

that just DOESN'T WORK when you're tethered to a TV screen

This pretty much, the dual nature of the switch means that the portable element of Pokémon is still kept but with the added bonus of playing it on the TV.

Which ones are those?

Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD for the Gamecube, but they aren't considered part of the main series nor do they play like the main series either.

There is no real downside here. ANYONE saying "Will wait for Stars" will have to buy a SYSTEM to play it.
Probably won't, though.

Money now is better than maybe money later. No one cancelling their Pokemon preorder today is mailing Nintendo a check for the Switch and Stars tonight.

I assume most people cancelling likely just won't get a Switch period. A year is a long time away.

Cloud7

Great news. Nintendo has earned my money for Sun and Moon and will be earning my money again for Stars. Amazing.

NahaNago

I'd have to say that it was kinda scummy to wait until the day of release to release this info. I understand why they did it but it still seems low down but hey Nintendo wants to make more money by releasing another version and Eurogamer wants more clicks. Its all just business.

Okay, so I preordered Sun, but it still hasn't gotten here yet (should get here Tuesday). I ordered it so that I would have a game to play over the Thanksgiving break. However, with this news in mind, should I cancel my preorder and get X or Y instead?

Not unless you really want to wait as much as a full year for this. I can't imagine this comes any earlier than August, at the very earliest. Gamefreak typically takes at least 1-2 years for their third versions.

My friend told me I was delusional for hoping the Switch would get a port or enhanced version of Sun/Moon.

Guess I'm not so delusional huehue.

So, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for both the DS line and Nintendo's "Switch is a home console" talk?

If the third Gen VII game is skipping the 3DS entirely for the Switch, I cannot think of any other possible conclusion.

So, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for both the DS line and Nintendo's "Switch is a home console" talk?

If the third Gen VII game is skipping the 3DS entirely for the Switch, I cannot think of any other possible conclusion.

Switch is a home console dude. They are killing off the Wii U for it.

Just like the sequel to Kuru Kuru Kururin being on the Gamecube killed handhelds forever/made the Gamecube not a console

Crocodile

To a business, money now > money later. I bet a non-zero number of people who were ready to buy S/M and then hold off for "Stars" end up not buying "Stars" or a Switch at all. Ah well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Probably won't, though.

Money now is better than maybe money later. No one cancelling their Pokemon preorder today is mailing Nintendo a check for the Switch and Stars tonight.

I assume most people cancelling likely just won't get a Switch period. A year is a long time away.

If we're honest, no one is actually canceling their pre-order. Even if they do, more information available is better than less for those to decide what they do with their money.

To a business, money now > money later. I bet a non-zero number of people who were ready to buy S/M and then hold off for "Stars" end up not buying "Stars" or a Switch at all. Ah well.

I understand money now > money later (I run a business) but from a consumer state of mind, I'm okay with knowing this information to make a more informed decision. As a consumer, I don't care about Nintendo's coffers. Just more value for my money and better information on how to spend it.

Moltenix

Anyone who really wants to play Sun/Moon now and can't wait a year are gonna get it for 3DS. Those who are gonna hold out for Switch version are gonna have to buy a Switch.

If we're honest, no one is actually canceling their pre-order. Even if they do, more information available is better than less for those to decide what they do with their money.

I understand money now > money later (I run a business) but from a consumer state of mind, I'm okay with knowing this information to make a more informed decision.

Yep, this is good for the consumer.

Maligna

Banned
Was going to go get 3DS version today. Will now wait and see if Nintendo sell me on Switch. Then I'll just get that version.

Neoxon

Using the 3DS game engine? That ain't gonna be pretty in HD... hell, it ain't pretty on 3DS!
As mentioned earlier, the Pokémon models that have been used since Gen VI have all been future-proofed for use on HD systems. Simply put it, the Pokémon models are insanely detailed, to the point where the 3DS can barely run them. The only thing about said Pokémon models that needs to be touched up are the textures.

That said, you have a point about the other graphical elements of the Gen VII games.

etrain911

On one hand, I'm really happy after they skipped making a Z version for X and Y, on the other, what on this console exactly is going to be a brand new game aside from the 3D Mario, Zelda, and Ubisoft's thing?

Neoxon

On one hand, I'm really happy after they skipped making a Z version for X and Y, on the other, what on this console exactly is going to be a brand new game aside from the 3D Mario, Zelda, and Ubisoft's thing?
According to Emily Rogers, we have Pikmin 4, Retro's new game, & some other new IP to look forward to in terms of entirely new Switch games.

Those having fun with my post did miss a point maybe. I mean, if that leaker is willing to do that, it is a short way to give info similar to what was given to SMD.

And think about it, if they'd leak some sensitive information to the main rivals of Nintendo? Tell something crucial about Nintendo's next console and then Sony and Microsoft could easily 1-up that, thus destroying Ninty's momentum?

Maybe I am oldfashioned, but I was raised to respect the contracts I make. I truly believe that people should act with honour. If you give your word, you need to keep to it. Is it so difficult consept for you?

That is the reason I hope that the persons leaking this stuff won't get a job in the industry again. Nothing personal, but I wouldn't want a person like that work for me.

And yeah, vidiagamez yada yada. Nothing serious.

And of course Nintendo won't be hurt (a lot) about this leak. It is Pokemon after all, that is like the hen laying those golden eggs.

It just irritates me when people act like these leakers are some kind of rebel heroes.

But live is life, na naa naa na na like some ancient philosopher said. Live and let die, flowers and all the hippie stuff.

EDIT. And I do not fear for Ninty's money, they will make lots of it regardless. Just don't like being dishonest, being it to other people or to contract.

Platy

Dear god some negativity about how this announcement will hurt nintendo o_O

first, journalists cannot be corporation's mothers ... they say what they have as news and corporations be dammed.

second, i doubt this will decrese even 5% of pokemon's sales. Because most people who buy don't see this type of news and because IT IS A POKEMON GAME WITH THE MOST PREORDERS EVER this will sell like hotcakes don't matter what news appears

EDarkness

We really don't have any idea what else they have beyond closed doors. Not to mention whatever 3rd party stuff they have coming. I think the Mario x Rabbids game sounds like a cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom