• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

Genius.

They can sell you Wii U and 3DS games again with full price.

That is in itself not a problem as long as those do not come at the expense of the line up of new games. Seeing as Nintendo is already throwing two huge franchises at us in the first year of the switch before the presentation where more will most likely be released, I think we will be fine in that regard. If they can make pokémon Stars a good value proposition (major improvements in graphics and added content and pokémon), then it might even be a good purchase for many Sun/Moon owners.

jph139

Awesome.

I'm way burned out on Pokemon after ORAS, so I'm skipping SuMo. But I was worried we wouldn't get a third version again, for the third generation in a row. That AND it's on the Switch? Beautiful.

So does this either....

1. Dispel the notion the 3DS will last somewhat, and signal that Nintendo is doing a hard move to Switch

2. Path the way for more franchises to have a Switch and 3DS version that live simultaneously alongside each other

jonno394

Awesome, shame it will not make launch but i'll buy it somewhere down the line. September 2017 is my bet (if Zelda hasn't released by then I think that will be the Nov 2017 game, if Zelda is released in summer I can see this being the November 2017 game)

So does this either....

1. Dispel the notion the 3DS will last somewhat, and signal that Nintendo is doing a hard move to Switch

2. Path the way for more franchises to have a Switch and 3DS version that live simultaneously alongside each other

1, this is "third pillar" all over again.

So we're getting 3D Mario, Mario RPG, Zelda BOTW, Smash, Mario Kart and now freaking Pokemon all on the first freaking year of the Switch.

I feel like this is going to be an explosive success for Nintendo.

So does this either....

1. Switch is the future. That's the whole point, it's a unified ecosystem.

Neoxon

So does this either....

Probably the former, since there won't be a 3DS version of this.

Scrawnton

This news does. It take away from my enjoyment of Moon, which was preloaded on my 3DS. It greatly enhances it. Now I can't wait to dive into it heavily and then do so again next year on Switch.

Dystify

So does this either....

If they didn't make this exclusive for Switch lots of people would buy it on 3DS. They want their consumer base to move to Switch for future games though so it makes sense to skip a 3DS version. It was said 3DS will be supported until 2018 or so, but I wouldn't expect more than a few games from Nintendo.

Glad to hear about this! Was aiming for Christmas to buy these games since I don't have a lot of money to spend. I'll be getting a Switch eventually, so hearing that I can wait for the updated version helps me save a bit, and pushes the Switch up a few notches on my list so I can get to play this. I feel a little bad for Nintendo, but this really shouldn't change anything for Pokemon fans. Hell, there could even be some bonus for having the original games.

To everyone feeling bummed out: the game you bought is still the same game you got hyped for! It's still going to be fun. You will still have the day 1 hype of playing this with everyone else and, for some of you, have the fun of getting involved in competitive discussions earlier than those waiting. This just helps some consumers be a bit more informed about their purchases, and creates more hype for the Switch.

Robin64

Should be great. Citra can make even the 3DS version look great, so imagine this but with a sharper HUD and better textures, then a few shaders on top.

tumblr_ofkslnxxJG1ua2u6xo1_1280.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mean I'm not against the idea since the interface in SM pretty much screams "no more second screen" (which sucks, RIP instant menus). It's just Stars bother me.

Zedark

So does this either....

It's a bit early to call, but if the Monster Hunter game also goes to Switch, then I would think Nintendo is paving the way for a swift merging of the two market towards the Switch. That is just a guess, though, and we will have to wait for more games to do this before drawing stringent conclusions.

PSFan

Pokemon Yellow was released a few years after for gameboy color which was an upgrade of the gameboy. Quite different situation. Thugh we kinda expected it considering Switch can also be a portable.

Wouldn't it be more equivalent to Crystal though? Yellow could be played on either Gameboy or Gameboy color. Crystal could only be played on Gameboy color.

RPGam3r

So does this either....

1 no doubt, 2 would be wishful thinking at best.

Zedark

Should be great. Citra can make even the 3DS version look great, so imagine this but with a sharper HUD and better textures, then a few shaders on top.

tumblr_ofkslnxxJG1ua2u6xo1_1280.jpg

Interesting thing about this is that the Pokémon look great, but the backgrounds are hot garbage. Perhaps they prepared the character models for Switch quality already and now have to upgrade the other textures?

Scrawnton

If this is Switch exclusive, this is Nintendo throwing down the gauntlet for Switch. If they show this off in January they will be making a huge statement about the Switch.

oti

Banned
Interesting thing about this is that the Pokémon look great, but the backgrounds are hot garbage. Perhaps they prepared the character models for Switch quality already and now have to upgrade the other textures?

It looks kinda cool though.

MacTag

Banned
So we're getting 3D Mario, Mario RPG, Zelda BOTW, Smash, Mario Kart and now freaking Pokemon all on the first freaking year of the Switch.

I feel like this is going to be an explosive success for Nintendo.
Also Splatoon, Pikmin 4, a new IP and possibly Waverace and Mario Maker. Anything else 1st party been rumored yet?

Wanted Eclipse as a name, but Stars works better with the other two (in a cheesy way).

Feel dumb for not considering why that reveal trailer model was way higher res.

Zedark

If this is Switch exclusive, this is Nintendo throwing down the gauntlet for Switch. If they show this off in January they will be making a huge statement about the Switch.

Tom says it is.

I mean I'm not against the idea since the interface in SM pretty much screams "no more second screen" (which sucks, RIP instant menus). It's just Stars bother me.

Well, Stars is atm a codename, so there is still hope for Pokémon Eclipse!
I am fine with it either way.

jwillenn

This will probably be my first Pokemon game. Nintendo is going Bayonetta "GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!" crazy with a games lineup, and I love it. This is precisely the effect we were hoping for.

Kouriozan

When's there is smoke there is fire, right?
Honestly I'm glad, Sun/Moon is almost too much for the 3DS, low FPS/30 sec start time on OG models/no 3D/etc, and it will look amazing too.

Why has it taken them this long to make a home console version of Pokemon. I've never understood why they didn't try to bring it over to consoles?

Neiteio

99% sure this is the box Legendary for Stars. It's already officially revealed so
necrozma.jpg
Yep, this is most definitely the cover Pokémon, being the third legendary. Probably will have an alternate form for Stars, though.

I can picture a Necrozma [Starlight Form] that becomes Psychic/Dragon

"It came from the stars long ago..."

MacTag

Banned
Wouldn't it be more equivalent to Crystal though? Yellow could be played on either Gameboy or Gameboy color. Crystal could only be played on Gameboy color.
Yellow was also just a DMG game in Japan, it wasn't until the western release that it got real color support added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom