• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

Bamboo 竹;224889399 said:
I think I lost the Switch speculation train. What is this Mario RPG that people is talking about?

There is a thread floating about atm detailing a rabbid x Mario turn-based RPG developed by Ubisoft and supervised by Nintendo.

Why?

Also, I was referring to the past games, specifically X/Y and ORAS, not this one.

So then you'd have to buy two versions (console and handheld) just to be able to take your game outside? Nobody would bother. Kids would just prefer to just play the handheld version and parents wouldn't see the point.

LordRaptor

The fact that the 3DS is over five and a half years old confirmed that the 3DS' days were numbered.

Yeah, but I've seen people clinging for dear life onto that PR statement about the Switch being a home console and believing its a WiiU successor, with a 3DS successor coming sometime down the line.

This report if true basically confirms what most people think, which is that the Switch is both platforms successor, and any future 'handheld only' console would just be a restricted functionality Switch, not a new platform.

Fucking CALLLED IT

Where are the naysayers that said 3DS only

Come at me

My next bold prediction. MHXX cross gen release within release window

cheesekao

Game Freak is really REALLY weird about saving schemes for Pokemon games and pretty ridged about it so that's why I say that.

Ah my mistake.
Huh, I never knew that. That seems rather strange.

So then you'd have to buy two versions (console and handheld) just to be able to take your game outside? Nobody would bother. Kids would just prefer to just play the handheld version and parents wouldn't see the point.
Uh...what? Anyone who only wants to play the handheld version can buy the handheld version. Anyone who wants to play the home console version can just buy the home console version. Anyone who wants both can buy both.

13ruce

Banned
absolutely, I won't be able to sleep at night with so many 3DS preorder cancellations,

I fear Nintendo won't be able to cope with it too, I hope Miyamoto is ok right now, I hope he somehow is strong enough to endure this huge blow.

😂😂😂😂

Crayolan

Title is misleading--"Sun and Moon on Switch" and "Pokemon Star" are two very different things. But knowing Star is already in development makes me worry for SM's quality...

Dystify

Title is misleading--"Sun and Moon on Switch" and "Pokemon Star" are two very different things. But knowing Star is already in development makes me worry for SM's quality...

This is Eurogamers rumor so I decided to use the title they chose. But yeah, I'd kinda like "Pokémon Stars" in the title somewhere.

Is that bold? Was the first thing I thought when seeing the release date.

Oh it isnt im just being facetious to kind of rub it in a bit

some people were adamant that Switch wasnt going to get 3DS software or supplant it in 2017

What I am seeing a pattern of the opposite effect. Lots of software crossover from both legacy systems directly into the switch

Which makes all the sense in the world to me

3DS is basically third pillar GBA going forward

Zedark

Uh...what? Anyone who only wants to play the handheld version can buy the handheld version. Anyone who wants to play the home console version can just buy the home console version. Anyone who wants both can buy both.

I wonder if that would be worth the extra dev costs to GF, since this console only group will probably be rather small, and I doubt many people would double dip.

cheesekao

For example, it's been 20 years and you still got 1 save slot.
Wow,I just realized that that's true. They really need to change that.

I wonder if that would be worth the extra dev costs to GF, since this console only group will probably be rather small, and I doubt many people would double dip.
Pokemon sells upwards of 10 million copies every time. The dev costs would probably be a drop in the ocean of their profits. Smaller devs have done handheld & console versions. As for the potential audience, they've never tried so we don't really have a baseline. One example I can think of is Monster Hunter. The home console versions generally do several hundred thousand in Japan only. Considering how pokemon is far larger and has a more global audience, a couple million wouldn't be a stretch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I thought this early on, but kinda moved back on it when I remembered what happened with Crystal (I'm surprised it didn't click in my memory, sooner).

Either way, I'm glad I held off on buying Sun/Moon now. I guess I can skip out on the n3DS Black Friday deal, too.

Well, it was too early for me to make any joke about it because it's still a rumor even it may come from reliable source.

Now I'm not going to buy both version to finish the living dex. So I'm going to pick up Sun version now and get Star version later on if there are one.

Menitta

I don't think you need to worry. They're the same game essentially. Also, I'd imagine they start working on the 3rd version almost immediately after releasing the initial game.

I do think it sucks that the 3rd version is being talked about and Pokémon Sun and Moon hasn't even been out for a day though. Like, can we enjoy this for now without constantly speculating?

The Hermit

True, but suns are already stars

giphy.gif

ggx2ac

Fucking CALLLED IT

Where are the naysayers that said 3DS only

Come at me

My next bold prediction. MHXX cross gen release within release window

There were naysayers? It was pretty predictable that there would be a mainline Pokémon game on the Switch because it's a hybrid and where Nintendo was moving forward. (Regardless of NoA marketing it as a home console)

Whether it was going to be a third version of Sun and Moon was another matter. I'm remembering now some people were hoping for a red/blue HD remake.

MHXX being cross gen is also going to be another non-surprise lol

_________

On topic, I already bought Pokémon Sun because they changed a lot of the game formula compared to X/Y. I won't mind double dipping this depending on how it looks and what's revealed for features.

KHlover

Banned
Good move to make it the third version.

Pokemon Star will generate a lot more excitement than "Sun for Switch" or "Moon for Switch"

But everyone told me that Nintendo is never going to do this...

This is awesome news, have no time for a Pokemon game right now but I could definitely see myself picking this up on the Switch.

Zedark

Oh it isnt im just being facetious to kind of rub it in a bit

some people were adamant that Switch wasnt going to get 3DS software or supplant it in 2017

What I am seeing a pattern of the opposite effect. Lots of software crossover from both legacy systems directly into the switch

Which makes all the sense in the world to me

3DS is basically third pillar GBA going forward

I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't say just yet that there will be no handheld focus at all anymore, but the 3ds is most likely being phased out. If that means that the Switch is going to be a GOAT system, then I am, selfishly, completely fine with that.

Siege.exe

Bamboo 竹;224886471 said:
People talking about how "predictable" is this leak are talking without knowing the fact that Game Freak is known for taking its time to jump into a new generation and if that trend would continue probably the third version would be for the 3DS.

Less production costs and a safer install base is really tempting so changing this trend is a risky move for them. I wonder if Nintendo money hat'd this.

Also, first main Pokémon game on a home console after 20 years.

This isnt by any aspect a predictable move, guys.

This. I'm not eating any hats over this bizarro timeline where Gamefreak supports a new system anywhere near launch or in the same generation as the most recent Pokemon games. You could've held out hope for that, sure, but that absolutely was not a sure thing to rely on.

Menitta

This. I'm not eating any hats over this bizarro timeline where Gamefreak supports a new system anywhere near launch or in the same generation as the most recent Pokemon games. You could've held out hope for that, sure, but that absolutely was not a sure thing to rely on.

Remember, B2/W2 came out on DS a year after the 3DS was out.

This somehow killed a little of my hype for Sun/Moon. I will still get it but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that the surperior version will come next year.

vareon

Double dipping for sure.

But Third version = same version with enhancement pattern died a few years ago. This could be a very different game from Sun/Moon.

Zedark

Wow,I just realized that that's true. They really need to change that.

Pokemon sells upwards of 10 million copies every time. The dev costs would probably be a drop in the ocean of their profits. Smaller devs have done handheld & console versions. As for the potential audience, they've never tried so we don't really have a baseline. One example I can think of is Monster Hunter. The home console versions generally do several hundred thousand in Japan only. Considering how pokemon is far larger has a more global audience, a couple million wouldn't be a stretch.

Yeah, it probably will be worth it financially, but it probably won't set the world on fire and combining that with GF being slow to accept change, that's probably why it hasn't happened as of yet.

I FUCKING KNEW IT! There was just no way that Game Freak would let Pokemon Sun/Moon die on the 3DS. Every other Pokemon game was playable on current/next-gen Nintendo hardware by default. I only played Moon for like 10 minutes so far but I can 100% see how this will translate beautifully to the Switch. Assets and animation are top-notch. Can't wait to see how everything looks when it's cleaned up and on a 720p screen.

NSESN

I am less upset now, and, thinking critically, very few people would not buy sun and moon for a game that will release one year after and is exclusive to a much more expensive console. So i don't think this will hurt sales too much.

cheesekao

Yeah, it probably will be worth it financially, but it probably won't set the world on fire and combining that with GF being slow to accept change, that's probably why it hasn't happened as of yet.
Do you think that there some kind of mandate that states other companies can't develop a mainline Pokemon game or something? Nintendo is no stranger to outsourcing.

Woffls

I'm still playing Pokémon X and Yellow so I just wasn't ready for Sun/Moon yet, and I was hoping that exactly this would happen so I'm glad I waited.

Hopefully my setup will include a TV by then... otherwise this momentous occasion will be somewhat underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom