• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Nintendo needed a handheld game to properly show that this is a hybrid console and you can't get any more handheld than Pokemon.

So does this either....

1. Dispel the notion the 3DS will last somewhat, and signal that Nintendo is doing a hard move to Switch

2. Path the way for more franchises to have a Switch and 3DS version that live simultaneously alongside each other
If true this basically confirms the 3DS' days are numbered

Good, I wasn't going to buy S/M for the 3DS cause I was fairly disappointed by X/Y, but I definitely want to get an HD Pokemon as soon as possible.

Now I'm quite frankly astonished at how many games I'm going to be buying in 2017...

Probably gonna end up being 10 Switch games at the very least. My poor, poor wallet...

Why has it taken them this long to make a home console version of Pokemon. I've never understood why they didn't try to bring it over to consoles?

Pokemon as a concept works better for handhelds than it does on consoles. It only really makes sense to bring it over to the Switch because, regardless of what Nintendo tells you, it isn't a "home console" in a pure sense. It's a hybrid.

Zedark

No it doesn't. Those backdrops need a huge upgrade. That depth of field effect needs to be replaced with something much higher precision too.

True, it is such a night and day difference between the Pokémon models and the background textures. The pokémon are great already, so if they redo the textures of the surrounding, they will have a looker.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent news. I have been wanting to play more Pokémon, but I have not been interested in Nintendo 3DS. A mainline Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch is thereby very interesting to me.

sphinx

the piano man
are you guys cancelling preorders thinking this through?

there's so much that is unkonwn and that can go wrong until that version arrives

I will take a guess and say this will be a E3 2017 announcement and right there you can be surprised with a "Spring 2018" release date at the end of the presentation.

at that point, there are a lot more games to play than now, not less. If nintendo is in fullforce with the Switch in its first year AND you also game on PS4 or X1, chances are you are not coming back to Sun/Moon with the stars version,

also, maybe you don't like the Switch that much and would have loved to rather play it on 3DS, You do not own a Switch and have no idea how it plays or feels in your hands, you DO own a 3DS and know how it feels in your hands. Also, if you care for on-the-go gaming, chances are 3DS has a better battery than the Switch tablet.

all things said, you are just sabotaging your experience, in my opinion. you got hyped for months only to deflate it and wait for at least a year to play it? I don't think it's worth it

if you don't wanna double tip, buy now, ignore the Switch version, I don't think it's worth waiting for, regardless of what extras that game has.

(just my opinion, and everyone is different but that's how I feel)

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
I would have bought the 3DS game either way. I just hope they make big improvments seeing how GameFreak is struggling with the 3DS. Removing the 3D was obvious that they want to do much more.

DNAbro

are you guys cancelling preorders thinking this through?

there's so much that is unkonwn and that can go wrong until that version arrives

I will take a guess and say this will be a E3 2017 announcement and right there you can be surprised with a "Spring 2018" release date at the end of the presentation.

at that point, there are a lot more games to play than now, not less. If nintendo is in fullforce with the Switch AND you also game on PS4 or X1, chances are you are not coming back to Sun/Moon with the stars version,

also, maybe you don't like the Switch that much and would have loved to rather play it on 3DS, You do not a Switch and have no idea how it plays or feels in your ahnds, you DO own a 3DS and know how it feels in your hands. Also, if you care for on-the-go gaming, chances are 3DS has a better battery than the Switch tablet.

all things said, you are just sabotagin your experience, not worth it.

if you don't wanna double tip, buy now, ignore the Switch version, I don't think it's worth waiting for, regardless of what extras that game has.

(just my opinion, and everyone is different but that's how I feel)

it sounds like you are begging people to not buy it on switch

Pokemon as a concept works better for handhelds than it does on consoles. It only really makes sense to bring it over the Switch because, regardless of what Nintendo tells you, it isn't a "home console" in a pure sense. It's a hybrid.

Why? It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to bring the gameplay to console.

TrutaS

I think this is the reason why they are waiting until January to show more of the Switch. Because they want Pokemon to drive the full potential of the 3DS this holiday. There will be a lot of pissed off customers though, if this port launches in March.

This is great: The Switch confirming the "Hybird" status with the games early in its lifetime. At this rate, it should be set to get a much bigger audience than the Wii U did.

I think this is the reason why they are waiting until January to show more of the Switch. Because they want Pokemon to drive the full potential of the 3DS this holiday. There will be a lot of pissed off customers though, if this port launches in March.
No way this is a launch title, specially if we're getting both Mario and Mario RPG.

Genio88

I'm happy for this news, not cause i'm into Pokemin anymore, though if they're doing this it really means Switch will also be the 3DS successor, even if Nintendo doesn't admit that yet, which means these console will have an insane line up, with stuff like Phoenix Wright, Layton, Animal Crossing, Rhithm Heaven etc, also having Pokemon Un and Moon there with the enhanced version will help sales a lot, which is essential for Switch in order to avoid the WiiU fate

Zedark

You are probably right about that. I don't think the Switch pokémon will be in the launch month, but rather be the big fall game, perhaps together with Zelda.

Edit:
No way this is a launch title, specially if we're getting both Mario and Mario RPG.

Also this.

sphinx

the piano man
it sounds like you are begging people to not buy it on switch

absolutely, I won't be able to sleep at night with so many 3DS preorder cancellations,

I fear Nintendo won't be able to cope with it too, I hope Miyamoto is ok right now, I hope he somehow is strong enough to endure this huge blow.

Fat4all

Banned
absolutely, I won't be able to sleep at night with so many 3DS preorder cancellations,

I fear Nintendo won't be able to cope with it too, I hope Miyamoto is ok right now, I hope he somehow is strong enough to endure this huge blow.

626abff5dce4f86a318dd92f4f56620a.gif

DNAbro

d6f.jpg

The title should be changed, Sun and Moon aren't coming to 3DS, a third version is.
I wonder if it will be a normal 3rd version or a sequel. I hope it's a sequel and now there are gyms in the empty plots in the cities that you can take on alongside the trials.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The Switch deserves to be a huge success if this is true. Nothing can touch a combined handheld/console Nintendo-software output on one plattform!

Menitta

"Pocket Monsters" it's philosophy has kinda always been in the mindset of being a game on the go. It's not hard to bring the gameplay onto a console (look at XD and Colosseum just a bit scaled back) just that for some it would be a little odd.

Yeah, I've never really liked the idea of a Pokémon console game. To me, Pokémon is the game that's always on me and I bring my 3DS out and play in short increments. I'm really hoping the Switch has a good battery life.

Zedark

The Switch deserves to be a huge success if this is true. Nothing can touch a combined handheld/console Nintendo-software output on one plattform!

Here's hoping Fire Emblem won't wait too long to make its debut on the Switch! That, pokémon and Zelda is why I would want a Nintendo system, and the Switch will probably deliver sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom