• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have to admit my lust for just starting a new round has increased quite a bit too during the last couple of sessions with all these drop-outs. KingSnake is out, Fanboi is out, Uzzy is .. not quite out, but not quite in, Stefan is hardly playing, Jwitjes, Bernd and Fitz never even got started.

Of course it doesn't help that my westernization process got fucked and that my Otto-take-down partner quit the game either. :p

It would be a shame for the ones who's got great games going on though, mostly MGO and Spirited I guess?

I think I want to see what the next session brings before giving up, myself. If I can pull myself out of this mess I am in right now, i.e. Florence and Venice stay in the war with me and help me beat up the HRE shits and emperor, then I think I am going to stay in, even though I'll have to release some minors in a peace with France.
If particularly Florence bails before I make peace with the emperor at least (I can take Liege and Trier on my own even after this mess), I'm probably gonna be out. It's no fun to completely get decimated every time I try to do something due to the really messed up alliance chains. :(

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm all for starting a new one when the next dlc comes 1st December.

I have a great game but it's kind of sad with all the dropouts.

Uzzy

I have to admit my lust for just starting a new round has increased quite a bit too during the last couple of sessions with all these drop-outs. KingSnake is out, Fanboi is out, Uzzy is .. not quite out, but not quite in, Stefan is hardly playing, Jwitjes, Bernd and Fitz never even got started.

Of course it doesn't help that my westernization process got fucked and that my Otto-take-down partner quit the game either. :p

It would be a shame for the ones who's got great games going on though, mostly MGO and Spirited I guess?

It's just frustrating. In this latest war Bohemia wants me to give up Wismar, which is currently the only province I have that's Brandenburg doesn't start with. So I'd have accomplished nothing over these sessions. Even more annoying, the Teutons have recovered a bit and have an alliance with The Hansa. So my efforts at weakening their alliance chains have come to naught.

Feels like every time I see a chink of light, it gets crushed by something stupid, like Sweden doing nothing in this war, or Bavaria doing nothing in the war against Mecklenburg and allies. I'd have conquered them easily had Bavaria actually come to my aid.

Should we start a new game when the DLC comes out, I'd propose allowing those who have had good games starting again with the countries they currently have. Would be unfair to rob them of good games so quickly.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's just frustrating. In this latest war Bohemia wants me to give up Wismar, which is currently the only province I have that's Brandenburg doesn't start with. So I'd have accomplished nothing over these sessions. Even more annoying, the Teutons have recovered a bit and have an alliance with The Hansa. So my efforts at weakening their alliance chains have come to naught.

Feels like every time I see a chink of light, it gets crushed by something stupid, like Sweden doing nothing in this war, or Bavaria doing nothing in the war against Mecklenburg and allies. I'd have conquered them easily had Bavaria actually come to my aid.

Should we start a new game when the DLC comes out, I'd propose allowing those who have had good games starting again with the countries they currently have. Would be unfair to rob them of good games so quickly.

Nah just give me a score, it almost feels like cheating playing Japan.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
In my opinion, I wouldn't really want to tie legitimacy to monarch points. Yes, there is a natural trade off to that system - those are points you could use for expansion or ideas that you will never get back - but I'd also like to discourage the kind of gameplay that involves pushing a button to solve your problems. It works okay for stability, but less so for war exhaustion, which is too easy to pay down with diplo points. I would prefer something like pay X amount of points to counteract X amount of war exhaustion, which is how war taxes work. Inflation should work like that too.

By the way, it is possible to get out of a civil war quickly if you have a lot of money. I got into a civil war once as Orissa (one of those nations that, ironically, has a national idea for legitimacy) after decades of bad luck with heirs. Civil war progress does carry over to multiple monarchs, by the way. So you can spend years climbing out of that hole, and then you're right back down to 20 legitimacy if your king dies without an heir. If the only progress toward a civil war comes from having over 10% OE, you can still expand through vassals, but I wasn't willing to do that for years, potentially decades, so I just said fuck it and accepted the disaster. The civil war itself mostly involves trading money and prestige for legitimacy, so if you have lots of ducats lying around, you can get out of the civil war relatively quickly and with most of your manpower intact. It cost me about 1000 ducats to go from 20 to 90 legitimacy. It's better if you have that money stockpiled, but a few loans wouldn't be disastrous. The +10 unrest is nasty, but if lots of revolts do occur, then I would consider declaring war on a neighbor and letting them choke on the rebels.

I definitely agree with you on on the problems with linking legitimacy and monarch points, but it would still be better than the system right now imo.

Btw, I am trying to take loans now so that I can use those events to my favor and get quickly out of it, about the declaring on neighbor strat, that is also up for consideration, thanks for the advice!

smjanssen

Afraid I can't make tonights session either. If someone wants to take over my country
or wreck it, Fanboi
feel free. I'll wait until the next session, should be able to sort out my computer issues before then

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Already started planning what I might do for next session, though are we going to play with the new and improved random new world?

Because that would be kinda cool, at least I think so

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think I should be able to host tonight (and play to some extent) after all. Let's hope it's a quiet evening for the Mamluks.

CloudWolf

Good news, I just got my laptop back with a new hard drive so my troubles are hopefully over. So when are we starting a new game?

Haha no, just kidding
or am I?

Burgundy AAR:
BcQYiAG.gif

And for France and them not getting any fucking rivals ever and being able to beat a stack 3 times their size:
O37DFUc.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR
Project Remove Kebab

Westernization completed pretty much right after we began, and since I had other obligations the game pretty much ran in the background for the first hour. When I actually began paying attention, I tech'd up military, and noticed three things: AI Timurids had broken alliance (new rival, yeay!), Tunis was having a hard time westernizing, and, surprisingly, Ottos were actually losing a war against Lithuania & co (they'd also recently been in a war against Venice etc.)

Ottos allies was pretty useless atm. Tunis was ass deep in rebels, Najd is a desert hole, and that little horde thing is not even worthy of remembering the name of, so I decided to put my galleys in the strait and finally declare Otto by myself.This worked surprisingly well, and I managed to destroy their eastern armies and siege up all their Anatolian stuff quite easily, and am currently working on sieging up Tunis and Najd. Ottos have two 30 stacks and their good leaders stuck in Edirne and Constantinople, trololol. I just hope I can get a good enough score to cripple them by sep-peacing their allies, being in control of war goal, their eastern stuff and blocking their capital.

I also allied Japan, and made a billion claims @ the timurs.

Who would have thought the Duchy of Burgundy would succumb before the Kurfürst of Brandenburg as the game was going??

so finally @RA

Morfeo

AAR: From the Duchy of Savoy to the Kingdom of Sardinia and Piemonte

Savoys situation at the start was simply atrocious, since she was in the middle of a civil war, and loosing it heavily against the 60k rebel troops. Anyways, we decided to let the rebels win the war, hoping not to loose any nations in the process - which we happily managed. They installed a new duke in Chambéry, and had the old one hanged, and while the new duke had terrible stats, he actually managed to oversee one of the most prosperous periods of savoyan history.

His first move was to remove Savoy from the old relics of the Holy Roman Empire, and declaring our realm as the Peaceful Kingdom of Sardinia and Piemonte with a new capital in Turin. We then entered a liberation war for Napels, which was being bullied by the pope, taking Albenga on the ligurian coast from their allies the imperialists in Provence, and letting Naples itself be allowed to be protected by our glorious realm.

We then spent time paying off loans and searching for a new opportunity to extend the peace, and found the situation when Venice was forced to release a ton of stuff, including Croatia north of our possessions in Ragusa. Croatia had troubles with their own pretender rebels, making our intervention in the war a welcome opportunity for the ruling king to extend his rule under our protection. Interestingly enough, Bosnia hot on the wheels after taking stuff from both Venice and Austria, was greedy for more land, and entered the war against Croatia. As their new croatian protectors, we felt obliged to defend them against the aggression, and we thus got involved in a pretty big land war in the balkans. With the help of bavarian, swiss and castillian allies, we had no trouble teaching the bosnians a lesson though, and at end we are basically sieging their whole nation. Should probably make it possible to restore their croatian subjects on the coast to their own national state.

A pretty good session after all, even though it was sad to see my friend in Burgundy tap out after his unsuccessful conquest of Liege.

Province Gained: Albenga
Vassals Gained: Naples, Croatia
Allies gained: Swiss Republic,
Allies lost: England, Venice

Uzzy

Brandenburg AAR:

So my parents left to work abroad, and I had to go stay with my uncle at some town in the country. It's a nice enough place, though there's not a lot to do other than go to school and visit the local shopping mall and eat. Luckily I've already made some friends at school, a rather klutzy guy, a very outgoing tomboy and a rather reserved brunette who helps run her family's inn. There's some weird goings on too, some reporter ended up dead, and there's strange things appearing on the television at midnight. Fortunately, as a group of untrained teenagers, we are clearly the only ones capable of solving this mystery, so we're off to do just that!

Also, I got out of bankruptcy, paid off my loans, reconquered Magdeburg. The religious leagues started, though Bohemia's leading them after they converted to Protestantism. Which increased the chances of winning, but probably means that Bohemia will be Emprah afterwards. Ah well.

Provinces Gained: Magdeburg
Provinces Lost: None, for once.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR

This session killed my hopes of being westernised before 1600s, which probably means this game will end before I'll westernise.

Got to novgorods border but what did I learn then? They are allied to both Sweden and Lithuania, good luck beating him and taking provinces all the way up to finnmark.

Only stats that I checked before leaving the game is having ~780 development.

Uzzy

Japan AAR

This session killed my hopes of being westernised before 1600s, which probably means this game will end before I'll westernise.

I'd be surprised if it did. Starting a new game immediately once the new DLC comes out doesn't make a lot of sense. We'll have to have a whole new round of rating nations to take into account the changes, and player ratings. Then we'll probably have to wait for a patch to come out to fix any inevitable bugs the new DLC brings. That'll take time, and bring us right smack into Christmas. And I don't really want to play during Christmas! (I mean, I do, but I don't want the obligation, and I imagine that others have pretty big commitments.)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Japan AAR

can't you just grab a colony next to MGO and westernize of him when he's done?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I finally got an answer from UPC, they updated the firmware on my modem and I will try it tonight, so I might re-join on Wednesday.

Looking forward to my rating dropping a bit more so next time I can actually play France.

:p

I think your rating will go up a bit, by comparison to your last MP.

Morfeo

Looking forward to my rating dropping a bit more so next time I can actually play France.

:p

LOL, no way is your rating dropping after the comebacks you made against France. My rating on the other hand, should continue to tank after Bohemia-gate and civil wars.

I finally got an answer from UPC, they updated the firmware on my modem and I will try it tonight, so I might re-join on Wednesday.

Nice, just in time to share in on the turkish delights.

Uzzy

Hopefully I'll get another go at Brandenburg. Though the beginning for them is a bit luck based at the moment, so that could end up sucking again.

Morfeo

Hopefully I'll get another go at Brandenburg. Though the beginning for them is a bit luck based at the moment, so that could end up sucking again.

I was actually hoping I was able to play them next time, time to suicide so my rating drops below yours I guess!

Morfeo

I would rather play some European country again next time, I missed all the fun now.

Yeah, I definitely want you back in Europe to see first hand that Swahilian culture flourishing.

I'd accept that! We can swap places, you take BB, I'll take Milan.

Sounds fun, I would definitely be in on that. You should try with Savoy though, considering its historical role in unifying Italy and all that.

Uzzy

Sounds fun, I would definitely be in on that. You should try with Savoy though, considering its historical role in unifying Italy and all that.

Might try Savoy. I had a really fun solo game with Milan though, I like their ideas and government type. It suits making a tall Italy, if expansion into France, the HRE and the Balkans proves difficult.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
But I only didn't survive longer last round because of Toma's Tunis, Fitz's Timurids and AI Ottomans. There was no way I could win against an alliance that massive.
And I dropped out of Poland because fuck the Sejm. :p

Glad to see you also think you were criminally underrated last session! Will try to make it up to you this time :)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Let's be Ulm and Nürnberg together, Spirited, and crush the HRE.

Haha, that sounds crazy. I can just imagine how much you have to wait for the AE to decay.

Was thinking of maybe playing colonial if we go random new world, otherwise maybe nürnberg or some other OPM in the middle of the empire.
So if you're actually serious then sure :p

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
He already started?

I think it might be quicker just getting next to Genoa.
I will start westernizing the moment my colony in South America is finished, assuming I am far enough behind to Castile in tech. Unless you can get a border with a western tech nation some time in the next 20 to 30 years, westernizing off me might be faster than any of the alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom