• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burgundy AAR:
Helped Aragon in their war against Castile and England. Got nothing out of it, and Aragon even went and allied Provence those dicks.
Helped Brittany in their war against France. Got nothing out of it.
Helped Brandenburg in their war against Saxony and Pomerania, also lent him some dosh. Got nothing out of it.

I guess at least I'm the helpfullest person around!

Oh yeah and I also finished annexing Flanders and began with Holland. Preparing Brabant for integration now that their god general died.

Also concerned about Fitz allying France and Provence. It's like he's trying to cockblock my expansion on purpose.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1496-1509
kLedjHG.png

i2jzv0F.png

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How is your bird mana? I saw you're allied to like 500 people now.

Yeah even though the alliance system in this version is completely broken and totally unrealiable, its still the best defense I have against my neighbouring war-mongerers.

I don't even have a CB on you, and I haven't been waging a war since last session when I slapped France silly. Everything else was call to arms from allies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR:

This session I learned that Ming is a douchebag, he blocked the route I was thinking of taking when expanding forward. This means that I currently have a few choces, I can try to somehow kill Ming+Korea and get mad development over a short amount of time. That's the first option, the second is sitting idly and colonise until I can westernize off of some european coming to Africa or something like that. The third option would be to colonise next on brunei and start to wrexk Havok on Indonesia but I don't think Dai Viet would like that at all so that's the option that is the least licely to happen.

I did continue to take all that was left in manchuria in three separate wars wars, full annexed the two small tribes Buryatia and Yeren, then I took an opportunity and annexed all of Mongolia after Oirat had lost a brutal war against Ming (Also why our alliance broke).

New Provinces: Jugjur, Udi, Birija, Ust-Kut, Barguzin, Onan Gol, Ude, Dornogovi, Khara narin ula, Xilin Gol, Setsen, Kherlen, Ih huree, Kelang, middag and at last Okinawa.
New Rival(s): Ming
Rivals Lost: Korea
Allies Gained: Dai Viet and Oirat
Allies Lost: Oirat
Change in Development: 480 -> 570

This was crucial though, considering they were allied to France.

I believe that Milan pulled the trigger mostly because your beefier allies (particularly Bohemia) were busy in other wars so they wouldn't come to help you.
France might've been a factor to your defeat being as swift as it was, but I believe Milan or whomever else would've still fired if they didn't have France as allies, and you still would likely have gotten beat.

With the buff to small, independent countries, even the HRE shits are actually quite threatening if it's a horde of them. And you were certainly at war with a horde of them.

Morfeo

I believe that Milan pulled the trigger mostly because your beefier allies (particularly Bohemia) were busy in other wars so they wouldn't come to help you.
France might've been a factor to your defeat being as swift as it was, but I believe Milan or whomever else would've still fired if they didn't have France as allies, and you still would likely have gotten beat.

With the buff to small, independent countries, even the HRE shits are actually quite threatening if it's a horde of them. And you were certainly at war with a horde of them.

This is wrong. It was not that Bohemia would not come. It was that the game did not let them come. This is the result of a stupid rule that I did not know about, and happened because Bohemia was already at war with one of the coalition members. ONE OF THE COUNTRIES THEY WOULD GO TO WAR WITH AGAIN. They never refused my call - the game refused to let me call them. This was the crucial part in me loosing that war.

Edit: But of course, me not knowing about that rule, does make my downfall ultimately my own fault as you say, just not in the same way you say it. Lets hope the ratings will reflect that :)

It still was your fault for taking a big HRE member in a coalition war. You could've completely avoided that second war altogether if you had just taken some gold and left it at that. :p

And yes: If a country is already at war with a member of the opposing alliance, they cannot be called into a war there. They'd be at war twice, which is what the game tries to prevent.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR

Since our big ally was experiencing some technical issues, we thought we might wait a while before dealing with the Turks. So I spent the session just doing some East African stuff, integrating Iraq and setting up Yemen as a new vassal. Considering westernizing.

I guess what I am most happy about this session is that we went from potentially four drop outs to one :)

Morfeo

It still was your fault for taking a big HRE member in a coalition war. You could've completely avoided that second war altogether if you had just taken some gold and left it at that. :p

Of course, but my point is that I studied that fucking AE-screen and weighted the potential coalition up towards the countries that was likely to help me out. And that included the Emperor, who was, with your words

already at war with a member of the opposing alliance, they cannot be called into a war there. They'd be at war twice, which is what the game tries to prevent.

From a game designers perspective, this probably makes sense, because it would make battles etc very difficult to calculate correctly. From a logical perspective though, it does not at all, and it heavily changed the balance of power in the coalitions favor, making my consideration for the AE totally moot. This happened because of a lack of skill, or knowledge on the game mechanics, on my part, sure. I did now know about all the technicalities of the alliance system. It did however, not happen because I got greedy or overconfident or anything like that. Vassalizing Switzerland was a calculated move, which was always balancing just on the border of what was possible to get away with, however, had I knew that I could risk not being allowed to even call allies in defensive wars, surely I would have treated this peace differently. I am still allied to Bohemia. They was never able to break the alliance. The game didnt even let them do that!

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Besides all the other advantages coalitions have over regular alliances, I believe that coalition members are automatically called into war on day one, which in this case would have locked Bohemia out of the war before they could even receive a call to arms. Yet another reason why you want to avoid coalitions completely, but I can understand how that could lead to miscalculation if you don't know the rules.

Morfeo

Besides all the other advantages coalitions have over regular alliances, I believe that coalition members are automatically called into war on day one, which in this case would have locked Bohemia out of the war before they could even receive a call to arms. Yet another reason why you want to avoid coalitions completely, but I can understand how that could lead to miscalculation if you don't know the rules.

Yeah. Well anyways, at least we learn :)

Morfeo

More than Timurids? Goddamn.

Also, the idea that Bohemia would have prevented you being steamrolled is preposterous Morfeo :p

You know much more about game mechanics and strength of these nations in this build then I do, so I guess not. But it definitely did not feel like I was getting completely steamrolled in that war, I only fought like 6 battles, and won about half of them, retaining almost all my army (even though it was just barely by the end). And when I got France out, I never saw more than 40k wandering around. With another great power, which the emperor is, I feel like I could have stood a chance.

But whatever, this doesnt really matter, the rules are as they are in every game, and its up to us players to learn them, something I fail to do. Looking forward to those 0 ratings
and playing France next game

But whatever, this doesnt really matter, the rules are as they are in every game, and its up to us players to learn them, something I fail to do. Looking forward to those 0 ratings

Since I'll probably have to play Urbino next session, will you support my independence pls.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
More than Timurids? Goddamn.

Also, the idea that Bohemia would have prevented you being steamrolled is preposterous Morfeo :p

Just looked it up, he has ~30 more development than me :/

Now I feel like a big fat liar.

(But to be fair he starts with 456 development while I started with 42 development and vassals)

Also I'll probably get good ratings just because half of the people seems to have failed pretty badly in this current game so next time I'll play some OPM and get steamrolled after a few years :/

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
#bohemiagate

I think it's fair to say that even though the alliance/call-to-arms mechanics are not 100% transparent yet, it has become a million times better than it originally was. It's not that many patches ago you had to guess who'd be called in, and who would end up as war leader on the opposing side.

Morfeo

Since I'll probably have to play Urbino next session, will you support my independence pls.

I will certainly support...something :)

Also I'll probably get good ratings just because half of the people seems to have failed pretty badly in this current game so next time I'll play some OPM and get steamrolled after a few years :/

You will get a good rating because you have played flawlessly. This is because you know the game, and thus you deserve it. Fanboi, me and Uzzy are clearly nowhere near your level of skill, which is why we fail game after game, and the ratings will hopefully reflect that. (Even though I feel I get constantly over-ranked for some strange reason).

#bohemiagate

I think it's fair to say that even though the alliance/call-to-arms mechanics are not 100% transparent yet, it has become a million times better than it originally was. It's not that many patches ago you had to guess who'd be called in, and who would end up as war leader on the opposing side.

Its better than it was a few patches ago, and while I also agree that it is in general better than it used to be in earlier versions of the series (which is mostly my reference point), they are definitely not more transparent than they used to be back in the EU3 and earlier days.

Couldn't join last night, to much work to do and got home to late.

How did Hungary fare?

Hungary did bad, but I think you should be able to continue, especially considering there are another human alliance that will probably take out your strongest rival soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
kab and have been discussing making the rankings slightly more lenient anyway. at the moment a 5/5 would be pushed to e.g. norway which is ridiculous.

Morfeo

kab and have been discussing making the rankings slightly more lenient anyway. at the moment a 5/5 would be pushed to e.g. norway which is ridiculous.

Yeah, I am all for this.Its too strict when mediocre players are locked out of playing even nations like Sweden, and its really boring for the top-ranked players when they have to pick Dai Viet :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
dat Novgorod in this game btw, Muscovy is really not doing too good

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
dat Novgorod in this game btw, Muscowy is really not doing too good

Blocking them shouldn't be a problem for me.
Just like Morfeo says, everything seems to go my way.

You will get a good rating because you have played flawlessly. This is because you know the game, and thus you deserve it. Fanboi, me and Uzzy are clearly nowhere near your level of skill, which is why we fail game after game, and the ratings will hopefully reflect that. (Even though I feel I get constantly over-ranked for some strange reason).

Didn't mean it like that as I don't really know how your ranking works. But I guess if I would "win" this one then I will get 5 in rating and get to play really tedious countries. Even though I do like playing OPMs or shitty countries sometimes.

I also didn't know that you had failed like this before, am really sorry. Was kinda shitty by me to say that then.

Uzzy

A weak Muscovy just increases my chances of making it to Moscow. Which can only be a good thing.

Of course, given who Muscovy's waifu is, seeing them lose their way is rather amusing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Blocking them shouldn't be a problem for me.
Just like Morfeo says, everything seems to go my way.

I'm constantly hacking the save to make you feel welcome! We always do that to newcomers

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
A weak Muscovy just increases my chances of making it to Moscow. Which can only be a good thing.

Of course, given who Muscovy's waifu is, seeing them lose their way is rather amusing.

We actually might meet up and be able to do that fight. Japanese vs. Prussian troops :p

White peace after first battle ofc. Just to see who has the best troops.

---------

Also what's up with Ming they have like 90k troops and are super aggresive towards almost everyone in SouthEast Asia

Kabouter

Ratings are averages anyway, so people with ratings that are far too low for them right now (I'm looking at you Red Arremer) are still going to have a far too low rating next time. Of course, for first timers like you Spirited... :p

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Yeah, I am all for this.Its too strict when mediocre players are locked out of playing even nations like Sweden, and its really boring for the top-ranked players when they have to pick Dai Viet :)
I enjoy the challenge of playing Dai Viet, but yeah I was going to suggest altering the ratings to make them less strict. At the moment it doesn't make much sense that I am prevented from choosing tough nations like Orissa and Ethiopia.

Morfeo

I enjoy the challenge of playing Dai Viet, but yeah I was going to suggest altering the ratings to make them less strict. At the moment it doesn't make much sense that I am prevented from choosing tough nations like Orissa and Ethiopia.

Agreed. There is also the risk that the best players loose interest when they are stuck with such a limited number of nations, like what happened to Kab and Fitz this round, and that would suck, as the joy of this game is that we have lots of people in the game to interact with, ally, war and troll
or more likely for me, getting trolled.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I might actually start playing some singelplayer Eu4, the wait between sessions is killing me.

I'm not used to playing alone either, of my almost 800 hours about 600+ must be in multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I might actually start playing some singelplayer Eu4, the wait between sessions is killing me.

I'm not used to playing alone either, of my almost 800 hours about 600+ must be in multiplayer.

I think I have the same mp/sp ratio, but just half the hours :p

Inb4 dry kab comment about what that says about my skill level...

Morfeo

Of my 275 hours, I think basically all of them are in mp. Did some practice with the mameluks and Vija, but other than that its all mp. Dont know what that says about my skill level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom