• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but my gaming hard drive literally just died. I'll have to reinstall Steam and EU4 real quick, and I hope I won't delay the game too much.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm sorry but my gaming hard drive literally just died. I'll have to reinstall Steam and EU4 real quick, and I hope I won't delay the game too much.

That sucks, my hardrive is also on the verge of giving up, real loud all the time and almost 100% disc usage.

That sucks, my hardrive is also on the verge of giving up, real loud all the time and almost 100% disc usage.

Funny thing is, out of my 3 drives, the gaming drive was the one that never has had any quirks whatsoever. It's old, but it never was loud, always was quick to load stuff, never made any problems. And now it suddenly gave up. Slow, quiet death.

I'm installing EU4 right now. Unless the first time setup is slow as hell (and that is really RNG whether it is or not), I should be close to on time.

FACE

Banned
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1509-1527
gdNtM4Q.png

HGutEfl.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR

Nothing happened, ended up annexing 2 of the siberian minors and some one-province manchurian horde.

Colonised a lot too, on Taiwan and in siberia. I'm almost at the hordes on the other side of ming.

Provinces Gained: Kamchatka, The Kurils, Kagyrgyn, Okhotsk, Kan, Angara, Chahar and Sakam.
Change in Development: 480 -> 610
Ally Gained: Korea.

Uzzy

Brandburgian AAR:

Fuck this game, fuck Pomerania, fuck Saxony, fuck Lithuania, fuck Utrecht and fuck Burgundy in particular.

fuck Burgundy in particular.

Yeah, jeez, I just helped you win 2 of your defensive wars. I'm sorry I couldn't help you against Lithuania and the emperor while I'm ALSO at war with France and getting beaten.

I've massively drained my resources helping you against Bohemia and the Teutons/Hansa. What the fuck did you expect, that I come to your aid when I am getting slapped by France?

I could've bailed out way earlier but in return for gaining nothing except a "fuck you" apparently, after I won his war against Bohemia. He would've gotten destroyed without me. Surely while being at -30% against France I don't have anything better to do than help him against Lithuania.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm feeling some hostility in the air.

No but seriously, I don't know what Uzzy expected. That was a lot of wars directly after eachother. Allies isn't forever and absolutely not when in a position like red arremer was.

Seems like I spoke out too early. don't mind me.
Only saw you get attacked over and over again Uzzy :(

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
AAR:

Payed off some loans, and then got France, Castille, Naples and Austria to join me in a small operation to rid the eastern Mediterranean of aragonese pirates. They had Provence join them, and it was an easy victory for us, were we managed to completely rid Malta and Sicily of the aragonese oppression.

We then fought a defensive war on Naples side, against the imperialists in Florence, but since we sensed some animosity growing against us from Naples, we decided to have our army stay on the islands for most of the war, ending in a resounding defeat for us - costing Naples 3 or 4 provinces. After the war, I disbanded the alliance, and they quickly rivaled me, so it seems that suspicion was correct.

We then stupidly decided to join the Geovese in a defensive war against the ottomans, which costed us badly in terms of access to and from the islands, considering the ottoman superiority on the sea. So since my army was stuck on the mainland anyways, I decided it was time to reclaim those old Ferrarian provinces I had lost to local terrorists in the coalition was, and swiftly hunted them down, getting ready to reintegrate that land in my reign next game.

Allies lost: Naples, Austria
Provinces gaines: Palermo, Syracua, Messina, Malta

Uzzy

Co-ordination is all I ask for. Had I gotten any sort of message that Red was about to declare on Lorraine and call me in, then I could have prepared for that. I would have been able to mention that actually, unless Bohemia joined in, I wouldn't have been able to get over to Burgundy and fight (something I was totally willing to do), and so he wouldn't have been able to rely on me. Gotta love being surrounded by a bunch of dirty haters.

But I did send your money back in a show of help. Frustratingly, that money would have paid for the ton of mercs that I kinda needed about a month after I sent that gift.

You could've told me that you needed those 300 ducats, then I could've tossed them back to you. I still had enough gold. And I didn't expect you to help me at all - if anything maybe against the German minors, otherwise just to look scary in my strength of the alliance side. Venice and me were going to take the brunt of the French forces. I just checked the "all" button on the ally list. But had I known you wouldn't be able to get access anywhere, I wouldn't even have called you in.

Still a bit unfair to shout "fuck you" at me after I helped you with 2 of your 3 massive defensive wars.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR
Vassalized Yemen, took the rest of Hejaz, integrated Iraq, took Funji or whatever that randomly popped up and began westernizing. Figured I might as well do that, since KingSnake is a bit held back by swahili ingame and RL internet tech at the moment, and moving on the Ottomans seems a bit risky right now. :p

Turd Sultana died one month after initiating the W-process and investing all adm points to get to 0 stability and to deal with a stupid westernizing event, so I'm a bit yolo on national unrest etc atm. :D

Change in Development: 480 -> 610

Also: I have more development than Japan, lelelelelelel.

Uzzy

Of course it's unfair, and I apologise. But in today's session I went from finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, with most of the alliance chains surrounding me broken, the Teutons weak and isolated and in a great position, to losing nine provinces (most of which in the form of released countries which will be promptly eaten up by rival neighbours without truce timers with them) and not even able to attack the Teutons. As I no longer share a border with them. I'm back to my starting position which just some AE to show for it.

Hell, I lost so many provinces that the religious turmoil disaster ended, as I no longer had enough protestant provinces. So at least that's a plus right?

Had we co-ordinated, I would have been able to move my armies to you, and easily sieged down Lorraine and France while you and Venice smashed their armies (15,000 men with a 2 siege general can have an effect in that way) Which would have won us the war.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
He failed as a man, as an ally, as a friend, and put shame upon your waifu

Kabouter

The new world is super quiet in your game though. It's basically just Portugal isn't it? Although I suppose that does give Japan the option of building a gigantic colonial empire :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Afaik only Portugal has begun colonizing the New World and West Africa yet

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Mamluks AAR
Vassalized Yemen, took the rest of Hejaz, integrated Iraq, took Funji or whatever that randomly popped up and began westernizing. Figured I might as well do that, since KingSnake is a bit held back by swahili ingame and RL internet tech at the moment, and moving on the Ottomans seems a bit risky right now. :p

Turd Sultana died one month after initiating the W-process and investing all adm points to get to 0 stability and to deal with a stupid westernizing event, so I'm a bit yolo on national unrest etc atm. :D

Also: I have more development than Japan, lelelelelelel.

Foken hell, I'll change that next session :(

The Chapel is amazing. I love the East to Westernisation one, showing what Spirited is doing wrong! Coalition is also too damn good.

that's not a guaranteed westernization in multiplayer. Also my current plan is BADASS.

Well by the time I'd have a chance to take Paris off of France, given the really shitty alliance chains going on especially involving Stefan's Portugal, and the 2 French minors having allied basically every nearby great power, Spirited will already have taken over half of Europe.

Uzzy

Spirited isn't going to westernise. He's going to destroy every western nation. Wipe them out harder than The Years of Rice and Salt. The new base tech group will be Chinese.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Isn't westernizing off of Finnmark pretty BADASS?

Looking at the map it's pretty far into the future though, maybe even 20-30 years :p

smjanssen

Stefan's Portugal.

Well, at this point I think the AI has played more then I did myself so I don't know if you can still call it mine :p

If my computers will even allow me to continue this game, since they've both given up on me lately regarding EU4

Yes, Portugal seems to be the only one colonizing. Yay, AI and Fitz :D

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If I'm not online in the next 40 minutes, it's probably because my power went out. I might need someone to potentially fill in for me in case I can't make it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR:
One of the worst westernization processes ever

It's my fault for rushing a bit out of fear of falling too far behind Ottos, but the game has kept throwing random stab hits (two times down to -2 stability) while being in an unavoidable internal conflicts which means +50% stab modifier. Had to pause the process for great periods of time, which sucks. Since KS dropped, I invested heavily in fleet to prevent the inevitable Otto attack (they've had mission on me for ever), which means loans, paying lots of interests, needing to kill fleets again, and basically having a rather messy and stagnating country atm. :(

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR

I continued westward in this session, my westernisation is inevitable. Will probably be done before the 1600s.

also started my first colony in the new world, HYPE for that.

Provinces Gained: Aleut, Tomsk, Vah, Irtesh, Aksary, tyumen, Sibir, Ostyaki, Kurgan, Lower Ishim and Chelyaba.
Change in Development: 610 -> 690

Burgundy AAR:
So I swapped to Reformed and started to get my act together in order to prepare for war. I decided that with the combined forces of Aragon, Venice and Florence, even the French couldn't stand a chance.
Alas, I didn't know the emperor could call in all allies, let alone about a year after the war started! Thanks, Würzburg, you pricks. I did not expect France to take out a force three times their size right at the start, either.

Aragon sadly was targeted by Tunis + Ottomans and Castile, so they quickly faltered. I had to give up the province of Dauphine to Provence, who actually has become reasonably powerful by taking out Genoa. Florence however has not given up yet. Steadfast they have been helping me now, even sieging up Liege (who has been the target of this war).

With Provence out of the picture, and while the situation visually looks very dire, I think I can make a comeback in this war now, as long as Florence stays in. Worst case scenario: I'll have to release a few OPMs, which wouldn't be able to be eaten up by France either, yay truces.

Finally: Fuck AI Portugal.

Uzzy

Brandenburg AAR

Attack Mecklenburg for war reps and filthy bribe money. Pay off some loans. Wait around, convert to Protestant purely for the money. Pay off some more loans.

See that Bohemia is at war with everyone. Seize opportunity and attack. Bohemia actually gains allies who only fight me, while my ally Sweden sits at home and thinks about furniture. Despite being able to get to me. Bohemia seemingly targets only me while Saxony and the rest of the HRE siege down their provinces, ends up peacing out with them. And suddenly I'm alone with Bohemia and they've got a bigger army and are sieging Berlin.

So I do the hail mary, merc up like crazy and try to smash their army. Doesn't work, my army shatters to Skane taking the really really long way round. Go bankrupt again, get fully occupied. Sweden finally takes an interest in the war and sticks some troops in their transport, sails up to Wismar and promptly turns around and docks back at home.

vdTrrbD.jpg

Eurotrip 1538
Yay AI. At least I can say it took 6 rivals surrounding me to defeat me. Hell, now that the Teutons border me again (thanks Red!) I might get a seventh rival. I should get an achievement for that.

Also, I want to note that MP sometimes does weird shit with interface "inputs". I was going to return the Neumark core to Uzzy, but for some reason, the game decided to give it to the Teutons instead.
If Roboleon maybe could reverse that problem by giving the province to Brandenburg in the save file...?

A similar issue happened with me before in another MP session, where instead of a CB I picked, the game would pick no CB instead. Was great cause it was right into the HRE.

Morfeo

AAR:

I had a decent session, where I first regained my old Ferrarian land, and then decided it was time to finally get back at Genoa for getting me in that stupid war with the ottos last time. Since every viable province in Italy would cause me a huge coalition, I decided to take Ragusa instead. At the end of the session, I finally got the unavoidable Civil War, since there is nothing i can do to increase legitimacy. Their armies are huge, and their troops are great, lets just hope they wont brake my country. Seriously, the legitimacy system needs reworking, I have had bad legitimacy for what feels like forever, and there is basically nothing I can do to increase it, ultimately getting me into situation like this. Fucking hell.

Provinces gained: Modena, Ferrara, Ragusa
Allies Gained: Venice
Allies lost: Genoa

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Btw I'm not available to play/host on Sunday - if anyone would like to do it, let me know!

I have to admit, I'm really not enjoying this session. And here's why:
The initial session start we had was perfect. AI allies against France! But thanks to the initial restart, my game was pretty much doomed from the very start. Literally no AI except for England (who also rivalled me) had rivalled France, so there was nobody except for potential players to help me against France.
fanboi's Hungary did really help me a lot against them, and even though I took some really good land from France, I had to give up some decent land (Picardy) right after. I was able to beat France again later on, but sadly, with the really stupid AI alliance chains, and the only nearby players who could help me being either constantly replaced by douchebag AI or super unwilling to go into any big wars, it's pretty much impossible to touch them now.
So even though I did decently well, I'm just not getting anything off the ground. Every time I take one step forward, I have to take 2 steps back, and when I think I surely cannot lose against France, the game decides to throw me a curveball and have, for instance, a 20-stack of French attacking across a river beat a 65-stack of mixed troops on defense. And the morale difference wasn't even that high!
And to top it off Saxony calls in even more random ass HRE minors than what they started with.

I'm sure I could recover, probably by peacing out France separately and pounding Liege and friends into dust, but man am I getting bored with this game.

Mgoblue201

Before this game began I did not anticipate at all just how difficult it would be to make any trade income. For some reason Dai Viet's capital is located in the Canton trade node, which is dominated by Ming, instead of the more obvious trade node of Siam which Dai Viet will naturally expand toward. Even 90 years into the game I'm making almost nothing from trade and I can just barely afford two colonies. I need to take Ayutthaya's capital immediately and move my main trading port to Siam.
AAR:

I had a decent session, where I first regained my old Ferrarian land, and then decided it was time to finally get back at Genoa for getting me in that stupid war with the ottos last time. Since every viable province in Italy would cause me a huge coalition, I decided to take Ragusa instead. At the end of the session, I finally got the unavoidable Civil War, since there is nothing i can do to increase legitimacy. Their armies are huge, and their troops are great, lets just hope they wont brake my country. Seriously, the legitimacy system needs reworking, I have had bad legitimacy for what feels like forever, and there is basically nothing I can do to increase it, ultimately getting me into situation like this. Fucking hell. I

Provinces gained: Modena, Ferrara, Ragusa
Allies Gained: Venice
Allies lost: Genoa
Paradox should borrow an idea from the Veritas et Fortitudo mod: players can gain legitimacy by putting the king in charge of the army and winning battles. At least that way there's an obvious tradeoff: you gain legitimacy but there's a chance of your ruler dying in battle (though depending on his stats that might not be a bad thing). Also, I would be okay if legitimacy was part of an idea set. (IMO, Paradox should add a centralization idea group which includes increased legitimacy, decreased autonomy, more tax income, and maybe something like better loyalty or less influence from the estates). At the moment, any nation that gains legitimacy from national ideas has a huge, underrated advantage. Another suggestion is that nations shouldn't suffer a legitimacy hit for royal marriages at low legitimacy.

Morfeo

Paradox should borrow an idea from the Veritas et Fortitudo mod: players can gain legitimacy by putting the king in charge of the army and winning battles. At least that way there's an obvious tradeoff: you gain legitimacy but there's a chance of your ruler dying in battle (though depending on his stats that might not be a bad thing). Also, I would be okay if legitimacy was part of an idea set. (IMO, Paradox should add a centralization idea group which includes increased legitimacy, decreased autonomy, more tax income, and maybe something like better loyalty or less influence from the estates). At the moment, any nation that gains legitimacy from national ideas has a huge, underrated advantage. Another suggestion is that nations shouldn't suffer a legitimacy hit for royal marriages at low legitimacy.

Yeah, there just needs to be something you can do about it. It doesnt make sense to invest points to increase stability either, but its a good feature since it lets the player somewhat handle it. Ideas, investing (points or money), decisions, buildings, winning battles. Whatever it is, but there needs to be something.

Mgoblue201

In my opinion, I wouldn't really want to tie legitimacy to monarch points. Yes, there is a natural trade off to that system - those are points you could use for expansion or ideas that you will never get back - but I'd also like to discourage the kind of gameplay that involves pushing a button to solve your problems. It works okay for stability, but less so for war exhaustion, which is too easy to pay down with diplo points. I would prefer something like pay X amount of points to counteract X amount of war exhaustion, which is how war taxes work. Inflation should work like that too.

By the way, it is possible to get out of a civil war quickly if you have a lot of money. I got into a civil war once as Orissa (one of those nations that, ironically, has a national idea for legitimacy) after decades of bad luck with heirs. Civil war progress does carry over to multiple monarchs, by the way. So you can spend years climbing out of that hole, and then you're right back down to 20 legitimacy if your king dies without an heir. If the only progress toward a civil war comes from having over 10% OE, you can still expand through vassals, but I wasn't willing to do that for years, potentially decades, so I just said fuck it and accepted the disaster. The civil war itself mostly involves trading money and prestige for legitimacy, so if you have lots of ducats lying around, you can get out of the civil war relatively quickly and with most of your manpower intact. It cost me about 1000 ducats to go from 20 to 90 legitimacy. It's better if you have that money stockpiled, but a few loans wouldn't be disastrous. The +10 unrest is nasty, but if lots of revolts do occur, then I would consider declaring war on a neighbor and letting them choke on the rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom