• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

France is at war with Austria? Is Venice involved? I hope so, as I can actually get some good stuff out of that war.

fanboi

Banned
France is at war with Austria? Is Venice involved? I hope so, as I can actually get some good stuff out of that war.

They are not, but you should DoW straight of next session and take what you can allthough Austrias still have 30k troops roaming around I Believe (unless France catches them).

HI guys, I would like to join in the next game, or this one depending on if you guys allow it and how far into it you are?

Are there any nations that people would prefer me to take or is there a general rule about taking nations?

Kabouter

HI guys, I would like to join in the next game, or this one depending on if you guys allow it and how far into it you are?

Are there any nations that people would prefer me to take or is there a general rule about taking nations?

This game is probably too far along to jump into still, but next game, sure :). We use a rating system to pick nations, but since you're a new player, you'll be able to pick almost all nations, and will likely be one of the first to pick.

This game is probably too far along to jump into still, but next game, sure :). We use a rating system to pick nations, but since you're a new player, you'll be able to pick almost all nations, and will likely be one of the first to pick.

Thanks very much. I will try to keep an eye out for the next thread.

Uzzy

They are not, but you should DoW straight of next session and take what you can allthough Austrias still have 30k troops roaming around I Believe (unless France catches them).

Right, well I'll have to see what the situation is, but a quicky war against Austria or one of the Northern Italian nations might be an option.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Right, well I'll have to see what the situation is, but a quicky war against Austria or one of the Northern Italian nations might be an option.

Attacking the HRE states while Austria is struggling is always a good idea.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Right, France is at war with Austria.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm mainly referring to colonizing Indonesia, which I need to do to form Malaya anyway. It's all tropical (duh), and natives are aggressive as hell. However, the natives are also so numerous that it would be an incredible waste in the long run to kill them. I have no intention of going to the Americas or Pacific, I'd be too worried about entering into competition with players far stronger than me. I already have to deal with the fact that you're closing on me incredibly quickly and will probably swat me like a fly once you arrive in S-E Asia :p.
When have I ever attacked anyone
who didn't already deserve it
?

cartesian

Hey guys, I've been playing the EU IV demo lately and I'm on the verge of buying the full game, but I have a couple of questions I need to ask before I take the plunge. I hope it's alright to post them here - I didn't want to drag up an old |OT| thread.

I'm thinking of buying a retail copy of the Gold Edition from Amazon, but I think I read someone complain that the retail version and the Steam version are incompatible and can't play multiplayer games together (because they have different checksums, or something like that). This would be an instant deal-breaker for me because my brother has a Steam copy. Is this true?

Secondly, if I buy the retail version, will it integrate into Steam and track my hours spent playing, achievements, etc? This isn't such a big deal to me, but it would be nice to have those playtime tracking and Steam chat features anyway.

Finally, I've sunk over 16 hours into the demo - and have completed all the tutorials - but I still don't really have a clue how most of the game works (trade power, HRE, the papacy, sieges, naval warfare, and so on). As far as YouTube goes or anything like that, are that any particularly useful or popular beginners guides/tutorials that anyone would recommend?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer - I'd love to join the Gaf multiplayer sessions down the line, just as soon as I figure out what a 'papal controller' is...

Fitz

The game uses Steamworks so it doesn't matter where you buy it from, you'll get a code to add it to your Steam account. The checksum is simply used to check if your game has been modified (i.e modded), there's only 1 version of the game.

As far as learning the mechanics goes, Quill18 or Arumba are worth looking into on Youtube, no idea if they've got any up-to-date tutorials though. Your best bet for specific inquiries is the Wiki, the EU4 wiki especially is very up to date has a lot of content. Some of the pages, especially in regards to nation specific events can be a bit outdated, but they're generally marked as such.

CloudWolf

As far as YouTube goes or anything like that, are that any particularly useful or popular beginners guides/tutorials that anyone would recommend?
Arumba's YouTube videos are pretty good for this. The problem is that many of the things you mention (The Papacy, trade, HRE and in some way sieges) have been completely overhauled last month, so many tutorials you'll find online will be wrong.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A large part of Paradox games is learning through failure, too. The mechanics change frequently enough through patches even fairly established players can be caught off guard - DDRJake was surprised by one of the occupation mechanics lately and he's perhaps the best current EU4 player - so don't worry about it. This doesn't really mean the game is inaccessible, it's just that the very few extra bits of knowledge are only required for peak play, in the way that you can play SSB4 perfectly fine and enjoy it a great deal without actually having to know any frame-rate data. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of players have no real idea how the trade system actually works, and still do just fine. We had to get a lecture from local expert Haly on how to do it.

The peak example of this is Victoria 2, which is imo Paradox's absolute best game, hands down. I consider myself a fairly good player with it and have been complimented for my monstrous runs as Persia, but I still don't really get some of the economic mechanisms, which is... sort of the core of the game. :p

CloudWolf

I really don't get Vicky 2 (yet). I've tried playing as Belgium, but get annexed everytime in my first war >_>

I'd love to learn it though (so I can eventually conquer the world as Polar Bear nation aka Jan Mayen).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to tonight, should be an interesting session for sure!

Hope everyone has got their connection in order this time ;)

Uzzy

Really looking forward to tonight, should be an interesting session for sure!

Hope everyone has got their connection in order this time ;)

My connection's been fine since Wednesday. Which means that it'll drop the moment after I declare war on Austria.

fanboi

Banned
In between session AAR Scotland:

Cold war

So my friend Poland ask the free people of Scotland to diplomatically pressure Scotland’s, historically friend, Burgundy to not participate in the ongoing conflict in eastern Europe between Poland and Brandenburg.

Poland’s view on it was just declare and bring France into it and end Burgundy, but, due to strong historical ties since the Scottish war for the British Island where Burgundy was a strong ally, this was nothing Scotland would stand. But of course, Scotland need to look for its own interest, at all times, which lead to a more diplomatically solution, where Burgundy was, kindly, offered the solution, stay out of the war, or have France join against Burgundy.

Time will tell how Burgundy will respond since their emissary in London tossed the sour wine in the Scottish diplomats face and stormed of with his ward, most likely jumping on the next transport home to Burgundy.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That crap French wine is as bad as Scottish habit of backstabbing their allies now that they see themselves free of English threat. In the end what can one expect of these barbarians, their sheeps must have driven them nuts. I drink now a fine Burgundy wine and draw war plans. Next time we will chose the friends more wisely.

fanboi

Banned
That crap French wine is as bad as Scottish habit of backstabbing their allies now that they see themselves free of English threat. In the end what can one expect of these barbarians, their sheeps must have driven them nuts. I drink now a fine Burgundy wine and draw war plans. Next time we will chose the friends more wisely.

Backstabbing? Now that is just plain lies! I would like to solve this diplomatically!

I am the protector of peace, if I was Fitz you would have been DoW when your troops was in Brandenburg and I would take all (I even said this war, if you chose to join, is not to take lands!).

Fitz

Don't bring me into this to defend yourself fanboi. :p I still don't know where this thing about me being a backstabber even started.

fanboi

Banned
... it is more like Poland pressuring me, since they have threaten to stop sending me the polish women and blood sausages.

How can I not comply?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
... it is more like Poland pressuring me, since they have threaten to stop sending me the polish women and blood sausages.

How can I not comply?

I fully understand. By coincidence in my SP game today Scotland also decided to try to stab me in the back after I freed them from England.

scotland_bitchesbmxiy.jpg

Uzzy

And exactly the same crash as Wednesday. Click an army, instant crash. Guess I'll be reinstalling EU4 then.

Sorry for making everyone restart the session.

CloudWolf

Scandinavia AAR - The Great European Clusterfuck

This game started off nice enough. I allied Poland, and he called me into his war with Brandenburg (from which I hoped to take Holstein), I moved up one diplomatic tech, only to find out that I'm still too far way from anything to colonize :)() and I paid off my loans. And then the clusterfuck happened...

Things were going great for Poland, Novgorod and me. Sure, I couldn't get Holstein due to a little over 50k rebels being parked between me and that province, but that was okay with me. Then the Golden Horde declared on Novgorod and called the Ottomans in and things went bad fast. Brandenburg, despite being near dead, called in Aragon via some controversial diplomatic loophole and took advantage of the fact that the Ottomans were moving into Poland.

My manpower was still pretty much drained, so I hid out in my northern lands, hoping no one would notice me. Then I remembered those 50k rebels near Holstein and lo and behold, Hamburg was a free nation, with Holstein being one of it's counties. Poor Hamburg had no allies and Austria was being a bad Emperor and didn't want to join. I moved my armies in a unprotected Brandenburg province and declared on Hamburg for Holstein. I then moved my armies into Hamburg and quickly white peaced Brandenburg before Aragon and Burgundy noticed my much weaker army.

And that's where we are now. We quit when over some diplomatic dispute which had nothing to do with poor old Scandinavia.

EDIT: Also, for more wars happening right now in the Great European Clusterfuck:

- Scotland started a no CB-war against Burgundy in the middle of the Polish War for Danzig
- France was doing stuff in northern Italy with Milan, but has now joined Scotland
- Castille joined against Scotland and is now sieging their way through the Isles

And the Religious Wars haven't even begun yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What a clusterfuck of a war.

Anyway, how do we handle this now?

We basically have 2 different actions here that we need to evaluate:

1. Aragon joining the Brandenburg war with "Enforce Peace Deal" in favor of Brandenburg while being allied to 2 different player allies.

2. Fanboi threatening Burgundy to start a war if Burgundy joins the war with Brandenburg.

Both actions are at least somewhat shady in regard to violating the 2 allies after 1500 rule, since both actions clearly take military action to favor one side of the war, but I'd still argue that the Enforce Peace Deal is the bigger issue here, considering it lets ANY player join the war directly. What is the end of that then? Your war isnt going well, so you will call another player ally? And another? And another? That is a clear work around of the rules and a huge balancing issue in my book.

Fanboi did threaten Burgundy, but a) he never joined the war with Brandenburg (which makes a huge difference in the turnout for a war) and b) even though he threatened Burgundy because of the Brandenburg-Poland war, he might have done that action in spirit of the rules as an opportunistic attack. He violated the rules in spirit, but not technically as his ingame action was fine in itself. We did plenty of "Oh you attacked XYZ, so I attack you" wars before, but Enforcing Peace gets you an infinite amount of player allies in the current war.

After this, we probably need a new rule for Enforcing Peace.

Anyway, as I said I consider the Enforce Peace the much bigger rule violation, but I understand that there is a case to be made for both parties sorta violating the rules. In the end though, one party actively added more members to the ongoing war and the other party fought their own war, which purely on ingame mechanics didnt break any rule.

Not to mention we were about to win that war the moment Aragon was called into the war. The rule violation by Aragon/Brandenburg was on a whole different level that turned the tide of the whole war. We had won the war against Brandenburg even with the Ottomans/Golden Horde on our heels (because I could peace out for a huge chunk of my country).

So yeah, not sure how to handle this whole mess. I guess the easiest solution would to white peace the whole thing, which still leaves me and poland half dead from a war we technically would have won. I lost a huge part of my country, which is going to very hard to reclaim, Brandenburg lost a very valuable part of their country, which is going to be very easy to reclaim. Not to mention that the now strong muscovy/golden horde will just unpolitely penetrate our butts as soon as they can, which leaves us wide open for an even harder Brandenburg war. Not exactly a fair settlement considering the consequences.

I'd be fine with rolling back to a savegame where neither Brandenburg, nor me lost any provinces and then white peacing out, but I guess Scandinavia initially would disagree there because of their current claims on Hamburg. Though to be realistic here: Scandinavia wouldnt keep those provinces in a fight vs Brandenburg/Burgundy/Aragon for long, because neither me nor poland would be able to help in that war. That doesnt matter for long then anyway. But that would also mean losing progress for all the other players and that just... sucks for you guys. :( You really shouldnt lose progress because of european twats (I am including myself there as part of one alliance) not being able to discuss rules before bending them.

CloudWolf

Yeah, fanboi's action was shady, but he didn't actively join our war. If he had a claim on Burgundy (and didn't threaten him, I guess), there would've been nothing dubious about him going to war with Burgundy while they're in a weakened state. The enforce peace option is definitely something we need to include in the rules though. Even in SP I rarely use it mainly because I consider it way too 'cheatey' (especially before when war leaders were handled differently).

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I never considered enforcing peace tantamount to violating the rules, but on the other hand it is probably too easily exploitable, since two players can easily collude to get around the rules using that mechanic. Maybe you should work out a deal now and then we can alter the rules to include something about enforce peace that will apply in the future.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I never considered enforcing peace tantamount to violating the rules, but on the other hand it is probably too easily exploitable, since two players can easily collude to get around the rules using that mechanic. Maybe you should work out a deal now and then we can alter the rules to include something about enforce peace that will apply in the future.

Any suggestion on a fair deal that would be a fair end for both sides in the current savegame?

Because I honestly cant think of anything.

Kabouter

I'd be fine with rolling back to a savegame where neither Brandenburg, nor me lost any provinces and then white peacing out
Then I'd need to fix that via console stuff, which is fine if that's what you guys want, but I don't have a savegame stretching that far back, and I will need a detailed description of what exactly to change.

Also, I'd never want to go back that far in a save given all I've done in the meantime :p

Edit: As far as enforce peace goes, I have added a rule to the OP about that, just don't do it in wars where you are opposed by human players. That still leaves the current situation unresolved however.

Edit 2: Also going to add something to prevent what fanboi did in the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom