• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm not playing either, as well haha.

There's no escaping, we'll bombard you with gifs and screenshots (since this is effectively our Offtopic thread for anything the EU community does, like measuring fanbois penis size or talking about morfeos girls) until you give in.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
2 inches and far too young respectively.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Based on people's wishlists and posts, I guess I'm the only one here who'll be playing Hotline Miami 2 instead of Cities in about 8 hours?
#keepingitreal

I also think we should wait for a stable build btw

Yeah, no. I will still be playing Final Fantasy Tactics!

Edit: I think we should wait too btw.

Morfeo

2 inches and far too young respectively.

Lol.

Anyways guys, my computer is basically dead, so I need a new one. However, my university have a rather limited stock, so there is basically between these two for me now. Maybe some of you more tech-savy guys could help me by pointing out which would give the better EU4-performance:

The first is a normal windows PC, and has the following specs:
HP Elitebook 850 G1, 15,6” Ultrabook
5,6” LED, FHD, SVA, 1920x1080, Antirefleks
Intel Core i7-4600U
16GB (2 x 8GB), 1600MHz, DDR3L
256GB SATA-3 SSD

As far as I can tell, this machine doesnt have a dedicated graphics card, which sucks, but might not matter much for EU4? I have also heard less than great things about those ultrabook-processors, but I dont know.

Then there is the alternative, which is a mac, and I guess I would have to get a Windows-parition on it:

MacBook Pro 15",
Intel Quad-Core i7, 2,6 GHz,
Retina
8GB, 1600 MHz
512GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (2880z1800)

So guys, disregarding price - would any of those be able to run EU4 decently?

Uzzy

The HP EliteBook 850 G1 has an AMD Radeon 8750m onboard, as well as an Intel 4400. The Mac has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M onboard, at least it looks that way on the apple store page. Going by FutureMark's ratings and others, the 750m is the better card, by some margin.

Morfeo

The HP EliteBook 850 G1 has an AMD Radeon 8750m onboard, as well as an Intel 4400. The Mac has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M onboard, at least it looks that way on the apple store page. Going by FutureMark's ratings and others, the 750m is the better card, by some margin.

But are both good enough for EU4?

can you choose the slightly expensive version of macbook pro 15? (kr 23 990,00)

That comes with a decent dedicated video card (the one uzzy refers to)

As far as I can understand from the website, the one I posted was the top model they would deliver.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
But are both good enough for EU4?

As far as I can understand from the website, the one I posted was the top model they would deliver.

I would call them tomorrow and ask for the full specs. But it looks from the site that it is indeed the version with no dedicated video card. :/
sort of makes sense for the uses 90% of University employees have for it too :p

Morfeo

I would call them tomorrow and ask for the full specs. But it looks from the site that it is indeed the version with no dedicated video card. :/
sort of makes sense for the uses 90% of University employees have for it too :p

Indeed it does make sense, yeah.

Morfeo

Just looking at the specs, I'd say yes. How well it'll run isn't something I know though.

This is the important part, since EU4 is more or less the only PC-game that is not either pretty old or indie, that I play.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I play EU IV quite a lot on my laptop that has an i7 CPU and no dedicated GPU (so HD4000) and it works quite well for lower resolutions and reduced effects.

The first round of MP I played it exclusively on it.

Morfeo

I play EU IV quite a lot on my laptop that has an i7 CPU and no dedicated GPU (so HD4000) and it works quite well for lower resolutions an reduced effects.

The first round of MP I played it exclusively on it.

Sounds good, probably getting that one then.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RIP all WCs now and forever.

DDRJake creating a monopoly on WCs.

Uzzy

Lets play France and get the French cores achievement nice and quickly. That'll be easy. No way that a massive coalition of all of Europe would form if I just go get some of my cores back, right..

I9KHAq8.png

Oh.

Fitz

lol :D Had the same thing happen to me the other day (as France), was totally unprepared for the current state of AE gain around the HRE.

Yeah I had that too when I was doing it, but that was before the patch(es). I think I even complained about not being able to get a game off the ground in one of the threads (either the "main" thread or the last MP thread).

Eventually I just cheated the system by revoking all the cores I didn't own and called it a day.

ZZMitch

Lets play France and get the French cores achievement nice and quickly. That'll be easy. No way that a massive coalition of all of Europe would form if I just go get some of my cores back, right..

Oh.

What are you using for changing the map and army graphics?

CloudWolf

In my quest for the Turn the Table achievement I have concluded that this game hates me. I played Portugal, switched over to Brazil and I kid you not, less than one month later my old Portuguese king died and they get in a PU under Spain. >_>

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The one that makes the political map a transparent overlay is amazing. Markedly improved my troop management.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Installed all those mods as well now. Looks much better. Thanks for the heads up!

Steeven

I am currently playing as Castile. It is actually my second game with this nation, but I got bored last time rather quick. France got huge fast, including decimating Burgundy, and then decided to take Rousillion. Aragon already lost Naples in their PU, so as their ally that one day inherits all of Aragon, I could not stand by and accept this. So, in come the monster stacks of France, like 55k. First I lost my fleet and then I lost an important battle, but luckily I managed to gather enough mercenaries to hold them back. France was hesitating, especially because an Aragon stack of 20k ventured into their southern provinces. Milan also sent 12k reinforcements, so anything was possible at this point. The progress of France was extremely slow and every province they took was immediately retaken when possible, at minimal costs. I was rebuilding my army, consisting of mercenaries mainly, reaching around 45k on troops in total. This was enough to defeat France. In the end, Aragon annexed the region of Foix and I was left with an enormous debt. That's OK though, because stopping the big push of France was rather satisfactory. And if I keep the status quo I will be able to incorporate a bigger Aragon.

The one thing I could not grasp was the fact that a coalition against France of practically every state on earth was formed just prior to the war, with the exception of me and Aragon. Apparently, the AE penalty of France was not big enough for me to join. Anyway, I was disappointed that the AI did not capitalize on this chance to declare war as well. France would have been destroyed.

CloudWolf

Awesome, I just got an achievement in Cities: Skylines because I haven't got the faintest clue how to get electricity to my people. I'm unpopular, fuck yeah.

mkenyon

Banned
Depending on how the whole Burgundy situation plays out, EUIV often becomes a game of Manage France or Manage Austria and France.

I feel like it's way less consistent than it used to be, but maybe I'm just playing more games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Crusader Kings dev hopes to mod Cities: Skylines into Cities: Republic

It’s in early stages, so not yet playable in Cities: Skylines, but proposes the addition of political functionality to the game. The main goal is summarised as “your citizens should have more detailed demographics and you as mayor at the end should be able to proclaim yourself an independent city state and all the craziness that follow there.”

“I’ll have to add so citizens will slander the Mayor for being totalitarian and then you can click on the Citizen Chirp feed to bring him up and then let the Secret Police of Awesomeville have a nice “talk” to him why he is instigating against the most glorious Republic on the face of earth.”

Fitz

Lol, that was an amusing exploit, especially after seeing they'd "fixed" using
custom nations
in achievement runs.

edit: Three Mountains run? Created a bunch of 800 point Bantuu culture South American Tech Animist nations. Hopefully they'll finish off the western nations, then it'll be no westernisation for anyone but me and my little custom western nation vassal.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Great! Looking forward to it! 9pm then!

Kabouter

Yes, and we end at 01:00 CEST as all first sessions Before.

Atm we're still in CET though ;)
And yeah, tomorrow we start at 21:30 CET and play until 23:00 CET :)
Americans might want to take note that Europe hasn't moved to daylight savings yet, so take that into account :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom