• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
397AA7E88B3519F61E1B5BF5A0FDE4279DE9331C
This was back in 1.1 though, when Poland would integrate Lithuania rather than form the Commonwealth.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
imo Quantity is at the very least A tier, if not S. It's just so good.

Quantity is a really good shout for A tier, actually, I'm probably under-rating it. I wouldn't put any military idea in S, though - you take MIL ideas in SP because you have spare points or whatnot, you'd pretty much always rather be taking something that helps you integrate, diplovassalize, or core faster instead.

It's easy to understand why in MP military ideas are far more worth. But why would Humanistic be so much better in MP than in SP?

Economic I can understand, because the level of competition is so much higher and therefore you need to be nickling and diming a bit more

Really competitive MP sees players have a massive expansion burst at the early game until AI nations run out, and then expansion is very difficult because human players are very good and much smarter about alliances and power balance. The faster you can expand early on, the stronger you'll be later. Humanism helps with a quick but not sustained expansion burst - because you don't get super-big, you actually do keep all the accepted cultures, and you don't have to take as many breaks early on, as you have higher religious unity and less nationalism. In the early game, I'd expand more in an MP game than in an SP WC one, SP games don't go superfast until the Imperialism CB and it's preferable just to do tactical things like fuck over Muscowy and the Ottomans in the early-game because massive expansion will cost much more than it does later. Humanism fails in the long-run so much less useful in SP than Religious, but they're probably reversed in MP. Similarly, Administrative is an incredible SP idea, but I just wouldn't take it in MP except as a very few nations because I'm not going to be coring the amount of provinces that make it really pay off.

Similarly, Economic is very rarely useful in SP but incredibly good in MP because it's the only way to increase your base autonomy rate for a long time and that's very powerful if your expanions chances are limited.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
AAR: I had lost most of my provs last time, but at least gained Milan as a vassal. However, that combinded strength of Milan and Naples was not a good sign for Venice, so most of this session I was looking forward to their inevitable independence war, which of course came right before the start with the help of Austria, Hungary and Tuscany. Before that, I gained back 10 provinces, so that was decent I guess.

Kabouter

You're like the leader of the Catholic world immediately Robo, the leader of the part of the world that doesn't recognize that Calvin had much better facial hair theological viewpoints than the Catholic Church.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm aiming for 100% Catholicism for starters. It was such a drag getting the forced conversion, because rebels wouldn't accept demands before Catholicism was dominant religion, which meant I had to juggle well over 200K zealots around my country near the end, hoping they'd siege the right provinces. If it looks relatively easy to become Curia Controller, then maybe I'll stick with it, because even though Calvinism is awesome, it's going to take so much longer to convert again afterwards because I don't get decisions like counter-reformation etc. I have to find a set up where heretics are tolerated, and decide whether or not it's worth spending most of the rest of the game with low religious unity, converting at most two provinces at the time (if I go for religious idea group), and, of course, the -100 prestige stab. Low unity and terrible prestige is not going to boost religious fervor for a good while either.

AAR:
I'm an idiot. Thought I was negotiating with Ruthenia when I was negotiating with Russia.

That's really unfortunate. On the plus side I guess the truce shouldn't last too long?

Steeven

Prussia AAR

Annexed Anhalt, destroyed Poland, reached the Black Sea, defeated Russia and expanded north and east. Defeated 100k+ stacks in total while overextended. Became Defender of the Faith again, destroying Orthodox heresy.

Fitz

After I noticed they'd westernised (I never get messages about westernisation), couldn't let all that free Tibetan land sit there idling, all those huge provinces look good in player map mode. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like China has ever cared for Tibet anyway

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well apparently the pope is a fucking racist

The selection of cardinals tends to favors countries whose wealth is concentrated in a few valuable provinces, rather than spread out over many poorer ones. Cardinals can only be elected from provinces on the same continent as the Papal States (usually Europe)

So I guess the dream of a Japanese curia controller is dead :( Dammit pope, you're making it so easy to bed the bearded priests. I was also very much looking forward to calling glorious crusades upon fanboi for the luls. T_T

Has anyone ever experience being Curia Controller outside Europe? What happens when the Papal State gets rekt?

Even if the Papal States are gone, the curia system lives on. I believe that the only way for a non-European Catholic to become curia controller is if there's not more European Catholics left.

That isn't a particularly unlikely scenario.

Of course, especially since players know that Reformed is generally the best of the Western Christian religions, and most of Europe has been devoured by said players. :)

It's likely Robo can get curia controller, since none of the traditionally non-European Catholic possibilities are still alive.

Kabouter

Of course, especially since players know that Reformed is generally the best of the Western Christian religions, and most of Europe has been devoured by said players. :)

It's likely Robo can get curia controller, since none of the traditionally non-European Catholic possibilities are still alive.

Yes, all European players are either Reformed (Me, Steeven, Morfeo) or Protestant (KS). In terms of AI, Catholic countries remaining are Austria, Tuscany, Portugal and Castile (which is a French vassal). Not sure there are more Catholics in Europe.

Morfeo

Yes, all European players are either Reformed (Me, Steeven, Morfeo) or Protestant (KS). In terms of AI, Catholic countries remaining are Austria, Tuscany, Portugal and Castile (which is a French vassal). Not sure there are more Catholics in Europe.

The Pope is still catholic, as is the Knights on Malta I think. Edit: And Ragusa and Hungary.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Here's your chance! :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 glorious opportunities. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the session you want. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=993308.

j.gif
a.gif
p.gif
a.gif
n.gif

1385030157.jpg

Play Robos Japan May 17th -- MB-2E5A55B7A5BB01F4 Taken by crab. 1 entrants total.
Play Robos Japan May 13th -- MB-2511CD207A263283

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Bunch of haters. But if Uzzy, jazz, crab, jwitjes, mkenyon or anyone else would like to play a session, please let me know! :) (or participate in the glorious modbot raffle)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Server ID 90095434782125062

I'll be your host tonight, gentlemen

Morfeo

AAR: Thanks to some northern intervention in the neapolitan independence war, I was able to crush the rebels and even punish them and their allys by taking 5 provinces. What seemed to be the third (or fourth or fifth) demise of Venice, is instead shaping into the third recovery. I am even in peace and loan-free for the first time in ages!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR: Thanks to some northern intervention in the neapolitan independence war, I was able to crush the rebels and even punish them and their allys by taking 5 provinces. What seemed to be the third (or fourth or fifth) demise of Venice, is instead shaping into the third recovery. I am even in peace and loan-free for the first time in ages!

6/5 rating incoming.

Steeven

Finally some deserved luck :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Against all naming convention odds, my colonial nation seems to be finally on the up.

Morfeo

6/5 rating incoming.

Lol. My game needs to be compared to the one Archnemesis, Haly and Uzzy had with Venice. None of them did amazing, but they were all in the end crushed by other human players. I on the other hand, have struggled this whole game with the AI. 0/5 incomming!

Finally some deserved luck :)

Thanks, but you know just as well as I that this is not about luck :)

Uzzy

Lol. My game needs to be compared to the one Archnemesis, Haly and Uzzy had with Venice. None of them did amazing, but they were all in the end crushed by other human players. I on the other hand, have struggled this whole game with the AI. 0/5 incomming!

I was crushed by the other players? I seem to recall Venice being on the winning side for that final war!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I was crushed by the other players? I seem to recall Venice being on the winning side for that final war!

Yeah Uzzy did great.

Ok sorry, guess I didnt pay it enough attention. Underlines the point though :)

Venice gonna Venice. They did a glorious job being sieged down completely before the Mughals came and crushed everything :p Let's be real here. Coincidentally, this seems to be the way this game will go too.

Steeven

Thanks, but you know just as well as I that this is not about luck :)

Well I'm just glad for you that for once you won a coalition war when all odds were against you.

Steeven

Prussia AAR

I was waging war against Ruthenia and Russia, and was winning as well, when I desynced for the 2nd time and could not rejoin anymore, unfortunately. I practically had all of Ruthenia conquered and was just about to make a separate peace deal when I dropped. The AI took over and by the looks of it, made a crappy deal, but it could have been worse. Guess I'll have to take the rest in the next war.

Edit - Also, France and Prussia united the clans.

You guys have to leave Nuremberg alive. It survived until now, it deserves to be left alone and look pretty with its cute orange. It'll be like an attractive mole on Prussia's face.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You guys have to leave Nuremberg alive. It survived until now, it deserves to be left alone and look pretty with its cute orange. It'll be like an attractive mole on Prussia's face.

Yes, this is important. This is also were we'll hang Fitz when the session is over. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom