• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If the AI had kept the alliance with me, I probably would have given them a few provinces in the subsequent peace deals.

Mgoblue201

People, lend me your ears!

Is it to late to try getting more people from GAF (or friends) into our current game?
Do you have anyone particular in mind? If we could get more people to join tomorrow's session, that would be great.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The more the merrier!

Anyways, just mentioning this already, I cant play thursday this week :( I feel the change of schedule to two hours earlier actually makes it harder for me to have time to all the sessions unfortunately :(

ZZMitch

The more the merrier!

Anyways, just mentioning this already, I cant play thursday this week :( I feel the change of schedule to two hours earlier actually makes it harder for me to have time to all the sessions unfortunately :(

The schedule was changed?

ZZMitch

He means compared to the last GAF EU4 MP game. We played three times a week for one hour, starting two hours after our current starting times.

Ah I see. I hope you don't miss too much Morfeo, my master plan to annex all of Russia in one fell swoop will be dead in the water without your presence ;)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When are we playing today, in an hour or so?

Fucking DST messing with my schedules.

Haly

Sitting here with EU4 open feeling so ronery.

Haly

Is it too late to join into this? What time will you guys be playing?

I think it's a bit late to join for today's session since the powers that be need to pick out a country for you that doesn't mess with other players' choices too much, but you can probably join for Thursday (we play Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Haly

Venice AAR - 03/18/2014

Summary: Started this game with a war I was totally unprepared for. Wound up losing most of my manpower and having to pull back and wait for my troops to build up once again. France, with their bottomless well of manpower were raring to go again but unfortunately I could not afford such a war in case it fell through so I declined. RIP France-Venice alliance.

On the brighter side of things, everyone is looking to take a bite out of Castille and Austria in their moments of weakness, leaving me free to pick up the pieces like a hyena. I feel the hyena characterizes Venice very well, so now I'm going to pretend my flag shows a Hyena with a Sword instead of a Lion with a Book (seriously, that is a lame emblem). I have immediate designs on Naples and Bulgaria. Followed by, in the future, Poland and Austria. Poland were my unfailing allies in the wars against the Ottomans scourge but times change and we must change with them.

Venice must grow, past friendships be damned.

Army: 56/59 26/6/24
Navy: 80/74, 10/40/20/10
Manpower: 17006/37060
Vassals Gained: Mantua
Provinces Gained: Mantua, Serbia, Raska, Burgas
Allies Lost: France
Allies Gained: Savoy

Mgoblue201

December 16th, 1564:
1XQGHqW.png
The war against Spain took a very strange turn at the end of the session. I originally declared war for Palermo, but fanboi and KingSnake released Sicily as a sovereign nation while I was in the middle of sieging those provinces. Spain no longer owns Palermo, so I'm essentially wracking up huge casualties for nothing. Austria is invading from the Caucasus with 45k soldiers, and I made the mistake of engaging them in the mountains. On the plus side, soon Austria won't have an army.
Is it too late to join into this? What time will you guys be playing?
It's not too late to join as long as you're willing to pick up for an AI nation more than a hundred years into the game (which I don't think should deter anyone; this isn't a super serious thing). At the moment it starts at 4 Eastern/9 Central Europe every Tuesday and Thursday.

Edit: The only problem is that the choice of nations is dwindling, now that Spain is being partitioned. But there's plenty of room for a human to take over in the HRE. Hungary and Poland are also good choices (the latter would probably put you at immediate conflict with Russia though).

Haly

Soon eh? I should take fabricate claims on some Austrian provinces myself if that's the case.

EMT0

Banned
December 16th, 1564:

The war against Spain took a very strange turn at the end of the session. I originally declared war for Palermo, but fanboi and KingSnake released Sicily as a sovereign nation while I was in the middle of sieging those provinces. Spain no longer owns Palermo, so I'm essentially wracking up huge casualties for nothing. Austria is invading from the Caucasus with 45k soldiers, and I made the mistake of engaging them in the mountains. On the plus side, soon Austria won't have an army.

It's not too late to join as long as you're willing to pick up for an AI nation more than a hundred years into the game (which I don't think should deter anyone; this isn't a super serious thing). At the moment it starts at 4 Eastern/9 Central Europe every Tuesday and Thursday.

Edit: The only problem is that the choice of nations is dwindling, now that Spain is being partitioned. But there's plenty of room for a human to take over in the HRE. Hungary and Poland are also good choices (the latter would probably put you at immediate conflict with Russia though).

Is there a list of nations being played by humans atm?

Kabouter

My main problem with all of that is that any of those nations just splits the competition for you basically Mgo. Any nation chosen would ideally be something that would actually compete with you, rather than weakening your competition by competing with them. Game's not nearly as much fun when everyone else is just fighting for second place.

But I suppose there's no such nation :/.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How did Spain reach that southern part in South America? I didn't even discover that part yet.
They have crazy colonial range. This must be taken care of.

Morfeo

So being serious here for a while (that is not my peaceful muscovite self), how come I got into a coalition war - when alot of the other players are expanding much more quickly without it happening to them? Is this really all about feeding to vassals being that much more advantegeous? If so, its kind of a game changer for me that hordes now can be vassalized->annexed again, when did that happend, annoying that they keep changing stuff like this all the time.

In general, I must say that I appreciate that Paradox is building mechanics that make Russia a bit harder to play than what it was in EU3, and coalition wars are definitely a good idea in that regard, but those laughable rebel armies in poorly-populated (and low supplying) western Siberia is just ridiculously irritating - and drains my manpower all the fucking time - and NOT the way to increase challenge imo. In hindsight, its quite clear that taking those provinces at all was a very bad idea, as the constant revolts togheter with some bad luck (and some terrible playing, see my Crimea-mistake today), had made my game so far very annoying. I would love for them to stop change the game so much all the time to let us not so frequent players be able to keep up with it, but I guess this is just how it has always been and how it always will be. Also, why does EU4 feel much more random than EU3? Was that really a conscious decision they made, or are there just a ton of mechanics I dont know about to influence stuff?

/Rant

Haly

how come I got into a coalition war - when alot of the other players are expanding much more quickly without it happening to them?
Russia is notorious for coalitions, because you're in the middle of a lot of countries that like to help each other. Remember Kab also got coalitioned very early on. France avoids it because most of its time is spent fighting Burgandy. I avoid it by taking out the Ottomans early on so the HRE doesn't get upset. Chances are, you are taking too many provinces in Peace deals so your AE modifier is skyrocketing without giving it proper time to decay.

Is this really all about feeding to vassals being that much more advantegeous?
Vassal feeding has been nerfed but it still helps out a ton with AE. You should do your best to maximize how many provinces you're getting when annexing vassals such as picking a weak state with a lot of cores that were lost during war and getting them back.

EMT0

Banned
I suppose Ming or an Indian major could work. Would be better for the game balance than adding more competition in Europe anyway.

My first choice based on the map was actually Saxony, since I've never played anything farther east than the Timurids. I guess I can do Ming.

Kabouter

Russia is notorious for coalitions, because you're in the middle of a lot of countries that like to help each other. Remember Kab also got coalitioned very early on. France avoids it because most of its time is spent fighting Burgandy. I avoid it by taking out the Ottomans early on so the HRE doesn't get upset. Chances are, you are taking too many provinces in Peace deals so your AE modifier is skyrocketing without giving it proper time to decay.
Yeah, I had three coalition wars as Gelre I think before one finally did me in, and I've had another one as Britain. Currently also still have a coalition against me iirc. Definitely not unusual.

My first choice based on the map was actually Saxony, since I've never played anything farther east than the Timurids. I guess I can do Ming.

I'd say try Ming in SP for a bit. Mechanics can be annoying. Vijayanagar might be a better choice. They might be smaller for now, but they don't have that whole mandate of heaven stuff.

Morfeo

Anyways, too bad I cant play next session, hope the AI stays on my path of recovery and dont do anything stupid :)

Mgoblue201

I think one more player in Europe would be ideal; there's still more than enough room to expand in central Europe before players have to start competing with each other for territory and resources. The problem with starting as a nation in the Indian and Chinese tech groups this late in the game is that the player would already be hopelessly far behind. In order to derive some enjoyment from a low tech nation, you really have to start expanding and preparing to westernize early. So I think Saxony is the best choice. However, if EMT0 wants to start out in Asia, then I think India would work much better than Ming. The Indian nations don't have the weird mechanics, obviously, and it's also a much better position from which to interact with the other players. Ming would essentially be single player until the Europeans arrive.
So being serious here for a while (that is not my peaceful muscovite self), how come I got into a coalition war - when alot of the other players are expanding much more quickly without it happening to them? Is this really all about feeding to vassals being that much more advantegeous? If so, its kind of a game changer for me that hordes now can be vassalized->annexed again, when did that happend, annoying that they keep changing stuff like this all the time.
It's better to dismantle your enemy first, in my opinion. Take as little AE as possible in the short term. Force them to release nations which you can diplo-vassalize. Return cores to the vassals you already have (Ukraine is practically the model for this strategy). By the time they join the coalition against you, they'll be too weak to do anything about it. This mostly applies to European nations, though. Nomadic nations can usually be conquered and/or force vassalized without much fear of the consequences.

Morfeo

It's better to dismantle your enemy first, in my opinion. Take as little AE as possible in the short term. Force them to release nations which you can diplo-vassalize. Return cores to the vassals you already have (Ukraine is practically the model for this strategy). By the time they join the coalition against you, they'll be too weak to do anything about it. This mostly applies to European nations, though. Nomadic nations can usually be conquered and/or force vassalized without much fear of the consequences.

Yeah i got Ukraine as a vassal a few sessions ago planning to do this, but got stopped by some nasty events :)

Anyways, thanks for all tips to everybody on how to play the game!

Mgoblue201

It doesn't take much to trigger a Civil War: basically, low legitimacy and an average time to fire of 60 years (which could change depending upon your stability, prestige, overextension, etc). I assume it's already over by now though; it should last about three years.

Kabouter

I think one more player in Europe would be ideal; there's still more than enough room to expand in central Europe before players have to start competing with each other for territory and resources. The problem with starting as a nation in the Indian and Chinese tech groups this late in the game is that the player would already be hopelessly far behind. In order to derive some enjoyment from a low tech nation, you really have to start expanding and preparing to westernize early. So I think Saxony is the best choice. However, if EMT0 wants to start out in Asia, then I think India would work much better than Ming. The Indian nations don't have the weird mechanics, obviously, and it's also a much better position from which to interact with the other players. Ming would essentially be single player until the Europeans arrive.

I already border Saxony via vassals, and Sweden can only expand into the HRE now. There is not nearly as much room as you think. And I don't really understand why one more player in Europe be ideal. I don't see any issues with the balance of power in Europe, there's no real gaps or whatever. Given the number of players we have, the real gaps are in the East. Without anyone there, there is literally nothing stopping you from expansion there, whilst everyone else is at least limited by what other players are doing. Can't really imagine a game without competition is very fun for you either. What fun is there in playing nearly 400 years if you are invincible 100 years in?

Morfeo

It doesn't take much to trigger a Civil War: basically, low legitimacy and an average time to fire of 60 years (which could change depending upon your stability, prestige, overextension, etc). I assume it's already over by now though; it should last about three years.

Yeah, I managed to finish the Civil War, which was unfortunately only the icing on the cake last time. They definitely need to implement some mechanics to let you invest in higher legitimacy. As I said in the chat, I have played most of the game with les than 30 legitimicay, and while it is now in the 50s, my heir once again has weak claim, making a new round of civil war and revolts likely when he takes over.

Kabouter

Yeah, I managed to finish the Civil War, which was unfortunately only the icing on the cake last time. They definitely need to implement some mechanics to let you invest in higher legitimacy. As I said in the chat, I have played most of the game with les than 30 legitimicay, and while it is no in the 50s, my hair once again has weak claim, making a new round of civil war and revolts likely when he takes over.

You could try making your heir unit leader so he will die quicker and hope a new heir has a better claim.

Morfeo

You could try making your heir unit leader so he will die quicker and hope a new heir has a better claim.

Too young so far, but hopefully the AI will do this for me on thursday!

Edit: Lol @ all my spelling errors btw, goes way to fast sometimes :)

EMT0

Banned

I already border Saxony via vassals, and Sweden can only expand into the HRE now. There is not nearly as much room as you think. And I don't really understand why one more player in Europe be ideal. I don't see any issues with the balance of power in Europe, there's no real gaps or whatever. Given the number of players we have, the real gaps are in the East. Without anyone there, there is literally nothing stopping you from expansion there, whilst everyone else is at least limited by what other players are doing. Can't really imagine a game without competition is very fun for you either. What fun is there in playing nearly 400 years if you are invincible 100 years in?

Yeah, maybe it'd be better if I just sat out until the next MP game rolls around. Everything not in the West is gonna be horribly behind if I start playing there, and the West is crowded as all hell.

Haly

Venice AAR - 03/20/2014

Summary: We were not prepared. After a long and grueling war against Savoy, Austria, Hungary, and Poland, France and I were forced to withdraw all our troops and lick our wounds as we wait for our Manpower to build up. After losing about 70k troops, all we had to show for it was France getting Provence. I was able to, however, get Switzerland as a vassal since the Emperor currently doesn't defend the empire against countries it has a truce with so silver lining and all that.

I find myself afk'ing and fiddling with trade routes for most of the sessions, which is just a waste. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I'm proud to present the Rube Goldberg Machine of expansionist ambitions.

Venice's Plan To Acquire West Africe ver. 2.0:
1) Take Expansion Ideas
2) Get a Colonist (Colony Range from Pisa: 425)
3) Get Jolofian provinces (Distance from Pisa: 515.5)
4) Fabricate claim on Mali
5) Declare war on Mali, dragging in Genoa since they're both in a coalition against Venice
6) Get Diplomatic Technology 15 (+50 Colony Range)
7) Fully Annex and core Genoa (Distance from Pisa: 55.9)
8) With Genoa core and Diplomatic 15, I should have barely enough range to reach Cayor
9) From Cayor, I can start subjugating the African tribes and colonize the Ivory Coast

100% Foolproof.

Army: 60/65 30/6/24
Navy: 90/78, 10/50/10/20
Manpower: 13976/50,000
Vassals Gained: Switzerland
Provinces Gained: Oltenia, Tarnovo, Silistria, Muntenia
Allies Lost: Savoy
Allies Gained: France, Portugal, Russia

Morfeo

Very productive session for everyone I think (not surprising given the length). Russia in particular, goddamn.

Haha, yeah, despite the constant rebelions, ANOTHER fucking weak claim king, and an awesome -6 stab hit thanks to the peasant war, it actually worked out pretty well in my foreign policy, as I managed to finally break the war-mongering commonwealth. Looking forward to tuesday (which is definitely not how I felt after last session)!

Edit: And what a tag lol. Guess it was only a matter of time :)

Kabouter

1h 30m :) and i don't think it did

Yeah, it hasn't yet. You should be able to though, Denmark is annexed, you have all the required provinces afaik. Not actually sure why the AI hasn't. AI settings don't seem to work very well by the way, your AI broke the alliance with Russia I think.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AI will never form Scandinavia. If you look at the conditions for the decision, one is that you aren't AI.

Morfeo

How long did ya guys play after I left? Did Scandinavia form? :D

Yeah, it hasn't yet. You should be able to though, Denmark is annexed, you have all the required provinces afaik. Not actually sure why the AI hasn't. AI settings don't seem to work very well by the way, your AI broke the alliance with Russia I think.

Yeah, they broke the alliance and our relation is terrible for now. They also got dragged into a war with the aggressive central powers led b the commonwealth (I think Saxony declared war on them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom