• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Swedish rail defeating armies - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Norwegian academia seems not particularly high brow.

Well, as another colleague of me recently showed, the norwegian (and scandinavian) cultural elite is adopting the culture of the lower classes, and it is now the way the we speak about those same cultural phenomena which implies our rank in the social space. (Article in danish: http://www.information.dk/510748)

That's only the Dept. Of Sociology. I ensure you things are quite different at the Dept. Of History!

The guy that said this is actually at the Dept. of Media Science :)

You don't have grants for the history of sex?

This is more or less what Roboleon is researching, so yeah.

Kabouter

Well, as another colleague of me recently showed, the norwegian (and scandinavian) cultural elite is adopting the culture of the lower classes, and it is now the way the we speak about those same cultural phenomena which implies our rank in the social space. (Article in danish: http://www.information.dk/510748)
So museums and opera houses are all at risk in Scandinavia? :p
I'd include book stores, but they're closing down everywhere

Morfeo

So museums and opera houses are all at risk in Scandinavia? :p
I'd include book stores, but they're closing down everywhere

There is only one Opera House here, but museums, libraries and such are closing down at an alarming speed - and even moreso now that we have a neoliberal governement who only wants to cut taxes and public spending.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you to toma and fanboi for being excellent opponents and players, and apologies to everyone not involved in our wars for ending this game and also to Valhelm for stealing all your provinces. Congratulations also to Fitz, who I'd nominate for the game's best player and will be a clear 10 score for next round. I think I finished 1st ADM, 2nd DIP, 2nd MIL if Kabouter takes the save from the final day, so pretty pleased with it all - a big thank you to Kabouter for getting me started in Italy, Fitz for being an excellent alliance partner, toma for helping drop Castile to low prestige, and Swedish trains for delaying fanboi when he would have overwhelmed me completely. I look forward to next game, provided I am far, far away from any of you really good players. :)

Kabouter

Thank you to toma and fanboi for being excellent opponents and players, and apologies to everyone not involved in our wars for ending this game and also to Valhelm for stealing all your provinces. Congratulations also to Fitz, who I'd nominate for the game's best player and will be a clear 10 score for next round. I think I finished 1st ADM, 2nd DIP, 2nd MIL if Kabouter takes the save from the final day, so pretty pleased with it all - a big thank you to Kabouter for getting me started in Italy, Fitz for being an excellent alliance partner, toma for helping drop Castile to low prestige, and Swedish trains for delaying fanboi when he would have overwhelmed me. I look forward to next game, provided I am far, far away from any of you really good players. :)

Well, you'll be playing Songhai next to mgo's Kanem Bornu and Fitz's Hausa right?

fanboi

Banned
GIF:

eu4mapcej8e.gif

Since I am dropping out now, anyone who wants to keep updating this just say so.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The (Last?) Hansa AAR
09/04/1562 - 12/09/1572

Summary: Not a great session for me. Despite my overwhelming numbers, two consecutive wars with my southern neighbors wrecked havoc on my manpower. I was still running a 9000 man deficit towards the end of the session. The lack of a full military idea any idea, was keenly felt as I watched my 60 stacks struggle to break a stack a third of its size, and taking heavy casualties in the process.

In hindsight, my choice in the early game to focus on Scandinavia was a far wiser decision, because I could actually leverage my superior navy against the island and peninsula nations of Denmark and Sweden. On the land, unfortunately, I'm outclassed even by minors who have no business standing up to a state of my size, achieving victory only through sheer attrition.

Provinces Gained: Hessen
Vassals Gained: Cologne (Nassau, Koln)

Map:

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thank you to toma and fanboi for being excellent opponents and players, and apologies to everyone not involved in our wars for ending this game and also to Valhelm for stealing all your provinces. Congratulations also to Fitz, who I'd nominate for the game's best player and will be a clear 10 score for next round. I think I finished 1st ADM, 2nd DIP, 2nd MIL if Kabouter takes the save from the final day, so pretty pleased with it all - a big thank you to Kabouter for getting me started in Italy, Fitz for being an excellent alliance partner, toma for helping drop Castile to low prestige, and Swedish trains for delaying fanboi when he would have overwhelmed me completely. I look forward to next game, provided I am far, far away from any of you really good players. :)

Honest congratulations by the way, some issues were a bit unfortunate, but in the end we should have expected muscovy to keep joining in and we should have made another alliance with Haly/Burgundy or whatever. So that was a misjudgment on our part and we deservedly lost due to it.

Awesome sessions everyone, very much enjoyed playing with you guys :)

Morfeo

AAR: Colonized the cape, and completely occipied my eastern neighbours Ayyuthaya and Taungu. Unfortunately didnt have enough diplo power to peace out before the end of the session to change the borders.

In the end, I think I did decent as Vijayanagara/Hindustan, after a terrible start, I managed to do decent but not great, and would probably rate myself at about 6 of 10 or something around there.

Kabouter

AAR:
Took Zapotec, and the two provinces that were left of the Maya and Aztec. Also took Mikmaq which held New Amsterdam. Think I did okay-ish in the end in this game, and think Haly has been a great overlord, and that he's done very well in a tricky spot! :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We should probably PM Kabouter playing ratings now while they're still fresh in our mind. I was thinking maybe a 5 star ranking, 1 being worse than AI, 2 being as good as AI, 3 being better than AI, 4 being much better than AI, and 5 being the clearly dominant player(s). Credit to Fitz for pointing out 10 is probably too large a scale.

Kabouter

We should probably PM Kabouter playing ratings now while they're still fresh in our mind. I was thinking maybe a 5 star ranking, 1 being worse than AI, 2 being as good as AI, 3 being better than AI, 4 being much better than AI, and 5 being the clearly dominant player(s). Credit to Fitz for pointing out 10 is probably too large a scale.

So how do we rate countries if we do ratings like that for players?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
So what's going on with the current game? I was busy with Austria and completely missed the conversation.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure. Thoughts?

EDIT: I think I'm done with this game, too. I've done what I wanted to do with Aragon, after this it'd just be blobbing for blobbing's sake. Everyone else is welcome to keep going though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
AAR:

Helped out Brandburg in the war against Hungary and Saxony. Took Wurzburg from Thuringen, and vassalized Frankfurt.

Are now fighting against Palatinate, Wurtemburg, Switzerland, Austria and Bohemia with help from MGO and Cloudwolf. Would be interesting to see the war out, but I also have a feeling that this session is basically over.

For ratings: My noob intuition says something like

edit: oops. this should be private for tactical reasons. you saw nothing

Haly

Here's the list of players from the front page formatted for your convenience. Only Manik is missing because he didn't attend enough sessions (only the first, iirc) for anyone to accurately gauge his performance.

CloudWolf of Brandenburg:
Colkate of Muscovy:
Crab of Aragon:
FACE of Timurids:
fanboi of Ottoman:
Haly of The Hansa:
Kabouter of America:
KingSnake of Scotland:
Mgoblue201 of Burgundy:
mleugie of Poland:
Mkenyon/Roboleon of Bavaria:
Morfeo of Hindustan (was Vijayanagar):
Toma of The Mamluks:
Valhelm of Portugal:
ZZMitch of Venice:

We could consider how well the AI would fair if they were in control of that country. I have nothing against this kind of rating but I'm not particularly vested in it either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
PM them to Kabouter privately with your 5-star ranking to prevent tactical manipulation. He can take the average and reveal them when done.

fanboi

Banned
In penises (some of you I dont really have an idea of penis size like Jwites and Haly):

Morfeo:
4 penises

Toma:
5 penises

MGO:
5 penises

Crab:
4 penises

fanboi:
MAXIMUM PENIS

Fitz:
5 penises

Robo:
3 penises

BERND
SMALLEST PENIS LIKE EVER (4)

Haly:
4 penises

Jwites:
3 penises

KingPenis:
3 penises

FACE:
PENIS PENIS OH GOD IM DROWNING IN THEM (2)

Valhelm:
3 penises

ZZmitch:
3 penises

Morfeo

Colkate, Toma, MGO and Kab is in a completely different league from the others and clearly dominant, and are all amazing players.

Then on the tier below, most of us other players find ourselves. Fanboi, Crab, ZZM (probably), Cloudwold, Haly and myself.

Then we have the good/decent players like Roboleon, Freakzilla (probably?), MKenyon, Mleuigi, Kingsnake and Valheim

Lastly, we have Face who now have learnt to pick the right nation, and even had one very good session this game - but overall always did worse than the Timurids AI.

Edit: Just adopt it to penis-size scale if you prefer that!

Kabouter

Colkate, Toma, MGO and Kab is in a completely different league from the others and clearly dominant, and are all amazing players.

Then on the tier below, most of us other players find ourselves. Fanboi, Crab, ZZM (probably), Cloudwold, Haly and myself.

Then we have the good/decent players like Roboleon, Freakzilla (probably?), MKenyon, Mleuigi, Kingsnake and Valheim

Lastly, we have Face who now have learnt to pick the right nation, and even had one very good session this game - but overall always did worse than the Timurids AI.

Edit: Just adopt it to penis-size scale if you prefer that!

smh why do people want me annexed within two sessions? Learn the Ming/Gelre lessons.

Mgoblue201

I think the game could have continued if it was just fanboi dropping out, especially if toma and fitz agreed to split his territory. There were too many problems associated with having human-controlled Timurids, Mamluks, Ottomans, and Muscovy. It forced the Ottomans into eastern Europe which caused a lot of early friction.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
how do I only get three penises with my tag?

but seriously, that is one penis too many. I got wiped by AI stacks trice this round.

CloudWolf

I'm not sure where it went wrong this game, but I was constantly bullied by Poland and Lithuania. And of course just when I'm on my way back up again, Crab & co. decide to win the game. It's not fair.

fanboi

Banned
I think the game could have continued if it was just fanboi dropping out, especially if toma and fitz agreed to split his territory. There were too many problems associated with having human-controlled Timurids, Mamluks, Ottomans, and Muscovy. It forced the Ottomans into eastern Europe which caused a lot of early friction.

Well I Think you all should vote then?

I do understand that you want to continue since you just destroyed france.

Fitz

01ed778f851510c29.gif

Didn't think far enough ahead about you guys dropping out if we won, genuinely sorry about that. Though I think we were totally justified in releasing Byz, best way to neuter Ottomans as I think someone said in game. Also I think some people are making too much of my play this game, Muscovy really are easy mode, take and release all day.
Sorry for the gif, can't help myself.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

There was no way of me continuing as military tech hindered mamluks without any nearby ally vs an aragon with castile integrated and muscovy as ally who put more value into the alliance with aragon than power balance :p So yeah, simply no way of continuing.

Mgoblue201

Well I Think you all should vote then?

I do understand that you want to continue since you just destroyed france.
It seems like most players are against continuing anyway, and I'm not necessarily opposed to that. The difficult wars against France are basically over; the only real reason to continue playing is to engage in future player vs. player wars which might have been interesting.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
without a doubt, whenever someone claims to be fighting for power balance in strategy games, the chance is like 90 % that they're full of rich, creamy shit tbh :p

Nothing personal, Colkate, that is my general impression from lots of games

On another note. It would be awesome for me if next round didn't start until after Oct 10th (when I'm defending my ph-d thesis)

Kabouter

without a doubt, whenever someone claims to be fighting for power balance in strategy games, the chance is like 90 % that they're full of rich, creamy shit tbh :p

On another note. It would be awesome for me if next round didn't start until after Oct 10th (when I'm defending my ph-d thesis)

I guarantee you it won't start before, so you're fine. We have setup stuff to do, new players to recruit. (I have a rl friend that probably wants in)

Fitz

That was the previous war. Get it right :p

There was no way of me continuing as military tech hindered mamluks without any nearby ally vs an aragon with castile integrated and muscovy as ally who apparently wasnt THAT much interested in a power balance. Simply not possible

You're right about that, just didn't see the point in pussy footing around anymore. It was either join with crab and dismantle you guys, or let you guys dismantle him. Could have found a middle ground for sure, but that wouldn't be as interesting.

If we're really going to stop the whole thing now, then we should wait for the new DLC, can't be that far away now, better than having to stop mid game. edit: nvm, was just made aware how short this game was. No problem starting anew at any time.

Haly

Everyone probably wants a break to strategize/lick their wounds anyway. Except for Crab and Fitz, the kings of GAFEU4.

By the way, crab, I was rank 1 in diplomacy, and rank 2 in overall score. The reason you couldn't overtake me was because I was sinking damn near everything into trade/diplomacy. I was not about to be beaten by some barbaric warmongers who couldn't trade if their life depended on it, which mine frequently did!

Suck it!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone probably wants a break to strategize/lick their wounds anyway. Except for Crab and Fitz, the kings of GAFEU4.

By the way crab, I was Rank 1 in Diplomacy, and ranked 2 in overall score. The reason you couldn't overtake me was because I was sinking damn near everything into trade/diplomacy.

Suck it!

2 in score overall? Niiiice. I was only 5. I know fanboi was 1, and I'm guessing 3 and 4 were mgo and fitz. I wasn't near enough my naval forcelimit to seriously contend for DIP - my navy at game-end was 32/8/0/33 if I remember right, which is pretty pants, and Castile tanked my DIP tech so I was only level 9 at finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom