• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Updated the current schedule:
MP time scheduling said:
archnemesis, 6 PM - midnight / CET
Arol, 7 PM - ?? / PST
Colkate, 10:30 AM - 3 AM / BST
Crab, 7 PM - 1 AM BST
Kabouter, 10AM - Midnight CEST
KingSnake, 7 PM - 3 AM / CET
Manik, 8:30PM - 12:30AM / BST.
Mgoblue201, 5 PM - ?? / Eastern Time (flexible?)
mkenyon, 7 PM - 11 PM / PST
Mr.Mike, 7PM - 12AM / EST
Rug Monkey, 6 PM - 3 AM / BST
Toma, 12 noon - 3 AM / CET
Zoku88, 7PM - 2AM / PST

Also, for those who tried it already: Any port opening shenanigans or other issues?

http://i.imgur.com/gw7g4bG.png[IMG][/s] - see post #909.

I propose we start on Monday and play between 11 PM and midnight CEST (10PM to 11 PM BST).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
gw7g4bG.png

I propose we start on Monday and play between 11 PM and midnight CEST (10PM to 11 PM BST).

Awesome, wanted to make the graphic tomorrow. Could you add my (and Mkenyons) times too? Handy graphic. 11-12 PM sounds perfect for me. Sucks a bit for the US Gaffers, but they might need to throw up a second MP round then (which was expected anyway).

I'll also contact every participant for the EU round so that everyone votes for 3 countries he would a) play himself and b) be fine with others playing and then do a random draw which one people get. Not sure we might be able to get started on monday, but surely next week and then every 2 days.

Tempted as a I missed the great pre-order deals found elsewhere(just forgot to do so) but I kind of want to wait with Rome II coming out. The pre-order items that went up on the store page are all so absurdly priced :/

Ugh well I bought it as I found the "Extreme"
really?
edition for 26 dollars which is a fair enough deal. Still bummed about the pre-order stuff and Crusader Kings II tool but oh well. Probably going to regret it if only because Rome II and FFXIV will distract me somewhat.

Edit: LOL, steam seems to be out of keys for the game. Oh well, not playing tonight. I need to sleep anyway I suppose :D

Son1x

I started up a game with Inca today. I've played up to 1570's so far and while most of the Americas is still terra incognita. From what I can see, NA nor the northern coast of South America seem to be colonized yet. I'm slowly getting ready, gonna hit adm 4 soon so I can start colonizing nearby provinces.

I can't play this, every time I start as England, France keeps shitting on my head taking my European provinces, there's no way quick enough to save them. All I can train are these lame arse pikemen and horses, takes way too long, by that time I lose provinces and feel like a lesser man. Help me!

I realised pretty quickly that the euro provinces were lost ... there's no way you can deal with French 20 stacks, and your troops in Europe are really draining your finances .. let France take what it wants and you can keep Calais when they sue for peace, and use the 5 year truce to diplomatically secure it, maybe expanding into Flanders/Ghent/Hainault/Antwerp if they get weak and their ally chain isn't too scary.

Don't be tempted by Ireland it will split your forces, use it for easy missions re Marriage and alliances.

Scotland is where it's at ...

Tips...

keep your navy stronger than the French, they can't invade if you sink them first, they usually don't even try.

get the religious ideas group 2nd or 3rd, it makes life so much easier with rebels and heretics and the reformation

when exploring and expanding think about Norway ... the Orkney - Shetland - Faroes - Iceland - Canada route into Chesapeake bay has no real competition but you won't be able to do the final jump until you increase your range

or ... get fleet basing rights from the Cape Verde islands to jump to S. America but you will be competing with Seville/Spain, Portugal and the Big Blue Blob ...

Amir0x

Banned
goddamn this game's complexity is making my head hurt.

I looked in the OP and couldn't find anything... are there any good tutorial videos up on youtube you recommend?

Kabouter

I'll also contact every participant for the EU round so that everyone votes for 3 countries he would a) play himself and b) be fine with others playing and then do a random draw which one people get. Not sure we might be able to get started on monday, but surely next week and then every 2 days.

Might want to also get some house rules posted, though I don't think you would need nearly as many as you did for EU3.

As other people have said, retreating to the Isles is probably the easiest way to play England. That said it isn't impossible to win the hundred years war.If you can do it, winning the Hundred Years War will leave you in a very powerful position with France under you in a Personal Union. It might be a bit hard, but it'll force you to learn more about war and get good at it.

Win the hundred years war and it's practically game won. Need someone punished on the continent? declare war and leave it to your french lackey. The fact you start off allied to portugal just doubles their pain.

It's terrifying to think how different history would have been if Henry V didn't die of the shits.

maneil99

Now sure if its the right time to post but I can get tradeable copies for 28$ or Extreme editions for 30$ if anyone is interested

Toma

Might want to also get some house rules posted, though I don't think you would need nearly as many as you did for EU3.

Any suggestions for those? We might as well discuss that first before contacting anyone.

paile

Banned
I'm finally starting to get this game after a series of frustrating starts using Castile. I would like to know more about the trade system and the global economy in general. This is the only part of the game I have little idea about.

I finally got my Bizantium campaign running but I spent too much time on the Ottoman and didn't check how the mameluks were doing. They now control half of Anatolia, I created a coalition together with the Timurids, Oman and several minor, but they still succeed into kicking my ass :( their massive calvalry kill my armies, my manpower is currently around 209, I've retreated on the other side of the bosphorus and I'm waiting :( I'm almost tempted to ditch my game.

I'm begining to get a grasp of the trading system and so far, I like it. More complex than the previous one, and when steering trade I have the impression of playing with the signal boxes in Railroad tycoon.

Kabouter

Any suggestions for those? We might as well discuss that first before contacting anyone.

Hmmm, aside from availability-related rules, I'd like it if there was a rule against violating a truce. Also maybe a rule against fighting wars together against another player but declaring separately so more can be demanded.

As far as country selection goes, I don't really want to pick countries other people can play given that there are so many, besides, I'm fine with people playing whatever, even the big ones. There are so many human players in this MP game that being France or Castille just makes you a big target for other players, since you're an immediate direct threat to other players in Western Europe. Plus, some of the more prominent nations are a lot more fun to play due to historical flavour and what not, and I wouldn't want people to be stuck with some generic nation they don't want to play as. Just when assigning countries, let's try not to get people to interfere *too* much with each other immediately. So not two people playing as different Japanese daimyos for instance.

Toma

Hmmm, aside from availability-related rules, I'd like it if there was a rule against violating a truce. Also maybe a rule against fighting wars together against another player but declaring separately so more can be demanded.

Yeah, the truce thing sounds reasonable, otherwise players can just pick off another player quickly in another succession war. Not sure how to properly judge the second suggestion though as there are instances where you might see a player going to war and then you deciding to jump in because he is in a war now. Maybe thats just something we need to trust others with that they wont abuse this because of the reasoning you mentioned.

Toma

As far as country selection goes, I don't really want to pick countries other people can play given that there are so many, besides, I'm fine with people playing whatever, even the big ones. There are so many human players in this MP game that being France or Castille just makes you a big target for other players, since you're an immediate direct threat to other players in Western Europe. Plus, some of the more prominent nations are a lot more fun to play due to historical flavour and what not, and I wouldn't want people to be stuck with some generic nation they don't want to play as. Just when assigning countries, let's try not to get people to interfere *too* much with each other immediately. So not two people playing as different Japanese daimyos for instance.

The problem with that is how we decide on the countries then, since I dont want anyone to pick a country based on what someone else chose. Maybe we could do a blind choice, with everyone writing down his 3 preferred nations and sending them to me in PM. First come, first serve and if a nation would be interfering too much with someone else, I could just take their 2nd choice etc. I'd choose my country after half of all the players chose theirs, so I cant just take dips on a country of my choice immediately either. Does that sound fair?

Kabouter

The problem with that is how we decide on the countries then, since I dont want anyone to pick a country based on what someone else chose. Maybe we could do a blind choice, with everyone writing down his 3 preferred nations and sending them to me in PM. First come, first serve and if a nation would be interfering too much with someone else, I could just take their 2nd choice etc. I'd choose my country after half of all the players chose theirs, so I cant just take dips on a country of my choice immediately either. Does that sound fair?

Sounds fair to me.

Toma

Sounds fair to me.

Alright, I'll put up the next Indie thread, then I'll send PMs around.

Edit: Btw, what is your opinion on diplomacy? Should we stick strictly to ingame diplomacy means with alliances and coalitions or is thread talk diplomacy fair game (As in "if you cross that border/wage that war, I will declare war, etc). That stuff could make the diplomacy between players even more interesting and I'd love to try that, but maybe it would just be too messy for our first game, no idea.

Kabouter

Alright, I'll put up the next Indie thread, then I'll send PMs around.

Edit: Btw, what is your opinion on diplomacy? Should we stick strictly to ingame diplomacy means with alliances and coalitions or is thread talk diplomacy fair game (As in "if you cross that border/wage that war, I will declare war, etc). That stuff could make the diplomacy between players even more interesting and I'd love to try that, but maybe it would just be too messy for our first game, no idea.

I think diplomacy via forums/ingame chat is the way to go, that's what makes MP more interesting than SP obviously.

Toma

Anyone knows where can I find my agressive expansion level?

There is no universal level for that, since the effects are different for each country affected. If you get an agressive expansion penalty, it is immediately transformed into -X to specific countries (which drops yearly). As archnemesis said, you can check those individually for each country via the diplomacy tooltip.

Toma

I think diplomacy via forums/ingame chat is the way to go, that's what makes MP more interesting than SP obviously.

Only openly discussed diplomacy or PMs/private chats too? I remember reading that some MP rounds had a no-privat-diplomacy rule since it makes planning less predictable and it could also a bit too hardcore for newcomers to the game since they are way less likely to use the options of diplomacy that they dont see/know/can learn from.

Kabouter

Only openly discussed diplomacy or PMs/private chats too? I remember reading that some MP rounds had a no-privat-diplomacy rule since it makes planning less predictable and it could also a bit too hardcore for newcomers to the game since they are way less likely to use the options of diplomacy that they dont see/know/can learn from.

I think you can't prevent plotting anyway if people really want to use it, so might as well allow it so that at least everyone can do it.

Toma

I think you can't prevent plotting anyway if people really want to use it, so might as well allow it so that at least everyone can do it.

Okay, sounds good to me then. I guess we'll switch over for the MP talk to a dedicated MP community thread? Or do we want to keep it here as more or less... MP impressions?

Toma

So is the game you doing right now just Euro gaf?

Everyone that can participate between 11 PM and midnight CET, yeah. A US MP round could just use the same rules we came up with though, I'll write a PM to every player who wouldnt be able to participate based on the schedule later and suggest someone taking the reigns for that MP round as well.

Berto

There might be a better way, but I usually just take a look at my neighbors' opinions about me in the diplomacy screen.

There is no universal level for that, since the effects are different for each country affected. If you get an agressive expansion penalty, it is immediately transformed into -X to specific countries (which drops yearly). As archnemesis said, you can check those individually for each country via the diplomacy tooltip.
Yeah, makes sense, thanks! That value ts a bit too abstract, it's not clear if it's cumulative into one single value or not.

Toma

Mail I will send around now to the EU players:
Alright, lets get started!

We'll do this 3 days a week, on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays from 11-12 PM CET, which should allow for enough flexibility in a week to plan around these play sessions. We'll start next tuesday with our first meeting and it would likely help if we shared Steam IDs, so we can talk about any issues that may come up/remind someone missing and invite all to a game conference chat room.

Please start by adding me and send me your Steam ID in your reply. I will then make a Steam ID list and send it to everyone (so its not openly visible to everyone via the thread). Additionally to your Steam ID, please send me your Top 5 choices of countries you want to play. First come first serve, if your top 1 country is already taken or too dangerous in a position with someone else (like 2 japanese daimyos), I'll choose the 2nd for you. I'l choose my own nation as soon as half of the players chose theirs, so I cant choose it freely either. I'll unveil the starting nations on tuesday. Also please consider choosing not only european nations, nations in other regions can also be very lucrative as they probably allow for some more freestyle play without other human players nearby, whereas Europe tends to become a bit packed in these kind of games.

Some additional House rules:

1. We cant stop you from doing that, but please avoid immediately going for another player. I won't put you guys in a position where you will NEED to fight another player, and if someone does, he might get a big, big unnofficial aggressive expansion penalty with all the others human players ;p

2. No breaking of truces against other human players.

3. No declaring of wars against absent human players.

4. This is a political game, so negotiations are fair game. Feel free to talk in the forum, in the Steam chat or via private messages and plot to your hearts content. One thing I'd ask you to, is writing up how the political dynamics worked in our game and what kind of negotiations you made. Obviously dont tell them as long as the game is still running, but it would be awesome to read how everyone played diplomatically afterwards.

For now, we'll stay in the main EUIV thread, but might possibly change to a dedicated community thread if we spam too much in the forum (But we will probably mainly use the Steam conference and only report on our play sessions in the thread).

Steam ID + 5 countries please!

Marco

Toma

It'd be great if we could get even more people to join the multiplayer game. Even complete beginners are welcome.

We are 9 so far, which isnt too bad actually.

Fitz

Starting the inaugural multiplayer match next ThursdayTuesday. I mostly (4/5) picked nations I've never tried before, fun times. :D

I'm finally starting to get this game after a series of frustrating starts using Castile. I would like to know more about the trade system and the global economy in general. This is the only part of the game I have little idea about.

Check the official Paradox forums, there are three FAQs on trading. I'd link them, but the forums require you sign up, etc. using your CD key for the game in order to access them.

FACE

Banned
The EU group starts next tuesday, did you write your time schedule?

I may be able to play after 22:30 CET on tuesdays and would be able to go until 1:30 CET, but I don't think you guys would play for that long :p

Edit: I'm not from Europe, though. Would that be a problem?

Toma

I may be able to play after 22:30 CET on tuesdays and would be able to go until 1:30 CET, but I don't think you guys would play for that long :p

Edit: I'm not from Europe, though. Would that be a problem?

We'll play on tuesday, thursday and saturday from 11pm CET to midnight, so if that is not an issue for you, you are more than welcome. Otherwise, you could also wait or start with us and switch over to the US round once they get going. Your choice! If you cant make it on any of those days but still participate, the AI will play for you however.

Pinktaco

Right. So in an earlier post in this thread I talked about how this is my first time playing an EU game and so on. The successful conquest of scandinavia.

Shit was alright for a long time until .. France decided to utterly destroy me. I though I had a decent navy. Nope. I was gone as the first thing with their 60+ stacks of ships. Fair enough I figure because they didn't seem interested in actually landing any soldiers so the biggest issue where the trade port blockades.

Until they look to the west and found my colonies. BAM 2 x 20 unit stacks of soldiers at colonies that only had a 5 stack unit to suppress the natives whenever they raise against me. Despite having a save game a couple of years before the french army arrives (they start with just one stack of 20 at first) I was only able to make myself a stack of 18 units resulting in getting utterly destroy.. again. So no navy and the colonization having gone to shit now I've decided not to bother more for now.

Rome 2 will be released soon and when I'm tired of that I'll pay EU4 another visit and start over with Denmark, again.

The best thing is that even though I eventually got my ass handed to me I've learned a lot and while there's still a long wait yet I feel as if the game is now accessible to me.

Please start by adding me and send me your Steam ID in your reply. I will then make a Steam ID list and send it to everyone (so its not openly visible to everyone via the thread).

Might be worth starting a Steam group and we all join that?

Toma

I invited the EU players who already contacted me on Steam to the EU MP group (except archnemesis who needs to add me on steam first). That group should be useful for the chatroom, announcements and reminders. Might as well have it set up.

Toma

This game plays so differently if you actually try to stay on top of the score because you cant afford to lower the maintenance costs to 0 all the time. Really interesting.

Top Bottom