• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
France simply attacked, without having an adjacent province first. Portugal had done so before them, but them I was able to fend off at least. I'd done reasonably well before then, I had annexed Creek/Shawnee and had Huron and Iroquois as vassals. I was also close to admin 4.
Spain and Portugal took turns declaring war on me but never sent any troops. It was happening so often that I was beginning to think I could reach westernization without losing a single war. Unfortunately, France entered into an alliance with Portugal and so in the next war I suddenly found 30,000 French troops on my shores. Portugal ended up extorting me for 2500 gold, but I never had to give up any territory. I consider myself lucky enough that I might just continue the game and try to build a large, modernized state that can take the 13 colonies by the end date.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, my first attempt at Ironman with Wallachia was brutally interrupted by the Ottomans in just 50 years. :-s
Time to start again ...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think my times for multiplayer got missed - its a couple of pages back.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think my times for multiplayer got missed - its a couple of pages back.

Updated the current schedule:
MP time scheduling said:
archnemesis, 6 PM - midnight / CET
Arol, 7 PM - ?? / PST
Colkate, 10:30 AM - 3 AM / BST
Crab, 7 PM - 1 AM BST
KingSnake, 7 PM - 3 AM / CET
Manik, 8:30PM - 12:30AM / BST.
Mgoblue201, 5 PM - ?? / Eastern Time (flexible?)
mkenyon, 7 PM - 11 PM / PST
Mr.Mike, 7PM - 12AM / EST
Rug Monkey, 6 PM - 3 AM / BST
Toma, 12 noon - 3 AM / CET
Zoku88, 7PM - 2AM / PST

Mr.Mike

Lol.

I'm losing to smaller countries that I was supposed to crush(playing as Spain).

Have you remembered to max out your Army Maintenance? Also, generals can make a pretty big difference, make one out of your king or heir if you have to. And don't forget terrain modifiers, might be good to wage war in the "Terrain" map mode. Watch out for river crossing penalties.

FACE

Banned
Have you remembered to max out your Army Maintenance? Also, generals can make a pretty big difference, make one out of your king or heir if you have to. And don't forget terrain modifiers, might be good to wage war in the "Terrain" map mode. Watch out for river crossing penalties.

Thanks for the tips :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Wait what? Terrain modifiers?

... 100 hours of EU and nobody told me.

Toma

DZO9PuF.png

o_O

Armed with your new knowledge, The Three Mountains should be a cinch.

Really curious about that later, which would also explain some surprisingly lost battles sometimes.

Mr.Mike

http://eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Terrain

That wiki is still really lacking, but yea. I found out about terrain modifiers from watching the start of quill18's Castille playthrough where he mentions losing a war because he attacked desert mountains.

When you hover over a province in "Terrain" map mode the game will show you a list of terrains with percentages, those percentages representing the chance that the battle will take place in that specific terrain type.

Sye d'Burns

DZO9PuF.png

Really curious about that later, which would also explain some surprisingly lost battles sometimes.

Just be happy you found out before multiplayer began!

I'm considering another attempt with the incessant lagging of autosaves by giving ironman another go. I feel compelled, compelled I say, to display my prowess.

Toma

Just be happy you found out before multiplayer began!

I'm considering another attempt with the incessant lagging of autosaves by giving ironman another go. I feel compelled, compelled I say, to display my prowess.

I got used to it after 10 hours or so. The desire to finish my missions drives me forward.

Mr.Mike

Anyone else having trouble finishing games? I always make it to about the 16 hundreds and stop. It's not really a conscious decision, I just end up starting another game as someone else for whatever reason and then later when I go back I can't get back into it. I remember doing the same thing in TES games and WoW alot.

Anyway, as far as the MP goes

Toma

Anyone else having trouble finishing games? I always make it to about the 16 hundreds and stop. It's not really a conscious decision, I just end up starting another game as someone else for whatever reason and then later when I go back I can't get back into it. I remember doing the same thing in TES games and WoW alot.

I did my first proper run with Castille and stopped because I noticed I couldnt win anymore. Russia was leading with 2000 points or something before the second, it was a bit ridiculous.

Birathen

Yup, Im a altoholic aswell. I played wow for one and a half year and never had a character over 50. Same in EU4, I play to the 1650 - 1700 then I get to thinking about different nations and how fun it would be to try them out.. Part of the problem is also my pretty aggressive playstyle. I end up with everybody hating on me after 150 years :) I'm currently trying to force myself to do a full Sweden play thou and restrain my bloodthirsty side. Don't care about VP but I hate it when a nation gets way to powerful early on :)

Toma

bilF93T.png

What exactly do those % mean? Thats the terrain map mode, so I guess thats important for the battle terrain modifier?

Arol

I tend to finish most games but I get bored as well.

I think the issue with me is that the early and mid-game is the most fun, afterwards it might get tedious depending on the objective I had set for myself depending on the country I was playing.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Formed the Holy Roman Empire.

So satisfying seeing all the provinces turn grey. The army I got as a result was crazy too.

Pinktaco

Just startes my first EU4 game. No previous experience before with other titles. The first many hours would resemble the dog sitting at the pc picture. Now it's doing alright tbh.

As a Dane I obviously started out as Denmark. My first thought was to get all of Scandinavia to become Danish, but other things came up.
I'm not good at all, but I managed to get a couple of countries around kurland and Lübeck, Hamburg and another country. Then came the realization that I could diplomatically annex Holstein which I did and before I stopped last night I also got Norway. Sweden is up next.

What is funny is how I started out somewhat aggressive, going to war all over the place, and now I'm more peaceful and powerful in a completely different way than expected.

As I quit the game I was told I was the largest trader so that's something I suppose. I still have a ton to learn, but so far it' been an enjoyable experience and IMO a succes all things considered.

Oh yeah I tried to convert to protestant Christian but that failed. Gave a lot of stress instead. Second time around I was a lot more prepared and now almost everything is Reformed.

Kabouter

You know what, fuck it, even though I'm terrible at EU4 (considering that I lose more games than I win :+), I'll play MP.
Kabouter, 10AM - Midnight CEST

FACE

Banned
I started a game as Sweden, built a decent army, declared war for independence on Denmark and, while I was getting my ass handed to me by the danes, Novgorod declared war on me(god damned opportunists).

EU and US PS+, isn't that a pain on the Vita since they'd be two different PSN accounts? Or is it better to just buy another Vita for that (help me, I have a sickness)?

Tempted as a I missed the great pre-order deals found elsewhere(just forgot to do so) but I kind of want to wait with Rome II coming out. The pre-order items that went up on the store page are all so absurdly priced :/

Yeah, I really regret passing on the pre-order. At this point I'm reduced to living vicariously through the excellent posts in this thread and waiting for the inevitable no-brainer (50 - 75%) Steam sale.

Mr.Mike

EU and US PS+, isn't that a pain on the Vita since they'd be two different PSN accounts? Or is it better to just buy another Vita for that (help me, I have a sickness)?

Y'know, I think it might be entirely possible to do a good Grand Strategy game on the Vita.

I can't play this, every time I start as England, France keeps shitting on my head taking my European provinces, there's no way quick enough to save them. All I can train are these lame arse pikemen and horses, takes way too long, by that time I lose provinces and feel like a lesser man. Help me!

I can't play this, every time I start as England, France keeps shitting on my head taking my European provinces, there's no way quick enough to save them. All I can train are these lame arse pikemen and horses, takes way too long, by that time I lose provinces and feel like a lesser man. Help me!

Don't play England.

If you do play England, let France have your European provinces and get your revenge later on in the game. Winning that war is very hard.

England is fine if you accept that you aren't winning the 100 years war. Focus of the British Isles then expand to the continent later.

But the bloody game listed England as Easy - babby level, damnit, who do I play as?

England is easy, just not in the way you expected it to be. Giving up your French land means you're left with your essentially unassailable home islands. Later on you can bring Ireland and Scotland into the fold, then go colonizing. If you just want to conquer stuff on the continent, that's possible, but more difficult ESPECIALLY if you're targeting France specifically.

It's hard to make a recommendation because every country is going to run into some problems. Maybe Castille for your first game?

evilhomer

This song is easily my favorite, such a great tune.

Almost done with my second war against Austria in about 20-30 years, but this time it was the entire coalition against me which is basically everyone. Became so happy when I noticed I could get cores returned to my vassals for no over-extension or aggression costs. Creating vassals for Klon and the Swiss out of my first Austria war is really paying off as well as getting Hansa on my side :)

Mr.Mike

As other people have said, retreating to the Isles is probably the easiest way to play England. That said it isn't impossible to win the hundred years war.If you can do it, winning the Hundred Years War will leave you in a very powerful position with France under you in a Personal Union. It might be a bit hard, but it'll force you to learn more about war and get good at it.

What I've also managed to do in that map is get PU's with Castille and Portugal. I also had the opportunity at one point to get a PU with Austria, which I now regret not getting.

Dunno man, the interface on those games are very reliant on M&KB.

It would have to be reworked, and maybe simplified a bit, but I'm sure it could be done.With constant pausing I do anyway it the game you manage to get many of the benefits you get with turn based games that make quick and precise controls less important, so you should be able to do alot of things with the touchscreen just fine. Then you would also have the the dpad for going through menus, the joystiqs for navigating the map (or the touchscreen) and you could use the back touch pad for shortcuts.

FACE

Banned
Game seems to crash quite often on my machine :(

Finally won my first war, woo! No strategy involved, though, just took advantage of the fact that my army was many times larger than my enemy's.

Top Bottom