• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Kabouter

This game plays so differently if you actually try to stay on top of the score because you cant afford to lower the maintenance costs to 0 all the time. Really interesting.

I don't really bother with score for a simple reason, the only nations I, with my limited skill, could ever manage to finish #1 with are the boring majors anyway.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've managed to take Pommerania to no.1, but that's my best small nation -> superpower. Also, it was basically just a faux-Brandenburg game, in all honesty. Also, I hope everyone in the multiplayer is feeling relatively nice, because this'll be my first EU multiplayer and I'm expecting to be curb-stomped. :p

Kabouter

I've managed to take Pommerania to no.1, but that's my best small nation -> superpower. Also, it was basically just a faux-Brandenburg game, in all honesty. Also, I hope everyone in the multiplayer is feeling relatively nice, because this'll be my first EU multiplayer and I'm expecting to be curb-stomped. :p

I *know* I'll be curb-stomped, especially given that I wasn't nearly able to do that as Brandenburg in my most recent game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I pause, though. All the time. I spend 5 minutes thinking over what I'm going to do over even the next month of game-time, it's terrible. The stress of having to make spontaneous decisions is probably going to send my poor nation careening into oblivion. :(

EDIT: Also, Brandenburg/Pommerania are very hit-and-miss. Pray with all your heart that either a) the Reformation doesn't succeed and limply burns out fairly quickly, or b) the Reformation succeeds with you as the primary instigator in all respects. A nasty Reformation that is on the opposite side to you ruins dreams for most HRE nations.

Click multiplayer - tick No Password, Has Players, Same Version, click Scan Internet, and sort on player slots, and get some practice :) (at least you know it works :) )

Omikron

I think my aggressive Japanese expansion finally got noticed by the larger powers. Russia joining in on a coalition and then I got instantly declared against by the Shun. Need to somehow rush to a peace deal as my decent army can't cope with a Russian force that can field nearly double.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't really bother with score for a simple reason, the only nations I, with my limited skill, could ever manage to finish #1 with are the boring majors anyway.

The thing is though, that even the majors actually make for a really interesting game here due to how the winning requirements are balanced. If you play as France, you have a TON of enemies to balance and taking care to get on top of the scoreboard while also trying to make sure others dont is a really tricky tactical endeavor, mostly due to the fact that I find myself scheming agianst countries that are half a continent away. Its definitely more interesting than it was in EU3 and I suggest trying it. France at least is very interesting to play because of the options it offers if you play carefully.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Another rule for the MP:

No declaring of wars against absent human players.

I'd say its fair game though if the player in question ENDS a war if the other player isnt there. Kinda your own fault to start a war and then attending other business :p

What timeframe do people here tend to start with when playing solo? Games take so long so I'm tempted to to stop setting it from the very beginning. Really hope they fix the performance though, I have a pretty decent rig so having the game's framerate drop to the 5s when at the fastest speed is somewhat nauseating.

What timeframe do people here tend to start with when playing solo? Games take so long so I'm tempted to to stop setting it from the very beginning. Really hope they fix the performance though, I have a pretty decent rig so having the game's framerate drop to the 5s when at the fastest speed is somewhat nauseating.

Are you playing on Ironman mode? The performance issues are because it's autosaving every month.

Are you playing on Ironman mode? The performance issues are because it's autosaving every month.

I am, and that would seem to definitely be the case. Kind of annoying but oh well I suppose, don't imagine that's something that could be fixed easily giving saving for such a game is quite complicated I imagine.

Edit: Love the new map details, really looks great. The trees in particular look so nice and sharp yet almost cute in their miniature nature. Game always feels a lot more playable on my tv then Crusader Kings II did, perhaps I just got used to it though. Still would love a text size slider though.

Kabouter

The thing is though, that even the majors actually make for a really interesting game here due to how the winning requirements are balanced. If you play as France, you have a TON of enemies to balance and taking care to get on top of the scoreboard while also trying to make sure others dont is a really tricky tactical endeavor, mostly due to the fact that I find myself scheming agianst countries that are half a continent away. Its definitely more interesting than it was in EU3 and I suggest trying it. France at least is very interesting to play because of the options it offers if you play carefully.

I have played France already, it was okay, but I've had far more fun with countries like Oman, beating the odds etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like the complexity of this game. I played around trying different way to start the same game (Wallachia on Ironman) to see how setting rivals, funding rebels, starting coalitions against others works. When playing with a smaller country every mistake can be very costly.
At the beginning the best thing to do was to set Hungary as rivals, as often this provides you an easier way to get royal marriages and alliances with Austria and/or Poland and Ottomans are somehow more reluctant in attacking you unless you screw up. I did find that funding rebels is not that penalizing (unless you are constantly discovered), but it holds back your own development. But it is helping when your neighbor is the Ottomans. Although the AI of the rebels is quite dumb (they never unite, even if they are part of the same group in two adjacent regions), but I guess that this is a design choice as they would probably be worse at war tactics.

Manik

Replied to your PM Toma. Looking forward to playing (my first ever) MP with fellow GAFfers.

Though I roundly expect to be battered into submission by the lot of you - I'll be happy with just surviving with my country intact.

Arol

Not sure if any of the US players are still interested, might get something going.

Should have figured the majority of people wold be European lol, happened to me with EU 3 as well.

Walshicus

Playing as Byzantium Ironman and have reclaimed all of the Pentarchy provinces except Rome with just 50 years to go.

Need to find a way of taking it from the Papal States without being smacked down by France...

Kabouter

Replied to your PM Toma. Looking forward to playing (my first ever) MP with fellow GAFfers.

Though I roundly expect to be battered into submission by the lot of you - I'll be happy with just surviving with my country intact.

Trust me, I'll probably have it worse than you, I lose so many SP games hahah. I'm not even expecting to finish with my country intact. Really curious to see which countries people end up with anyway.

Manik

Trust me, I'll probably have it worse than you, I lose so many SP games hahah. I'm not even expecting to finish with my country intact. Really curious to see which countries people end up with anyway.

Haha, sounds like it's going to be a race to the bottom. I'm sure it'll be good fun, either way.

Hoping to do a small writeup of each session from my country's POV after each session too, just to add a bit of flavour.

Toma

If anyone is curious, this is how the MP round will start:
QaQzSC5.png

Castile - FACE
Scotland - RugMonkey
Venice - Archnemesis (You Italy guys are a bit close, anyone fancying a switch to Burgundy or something in Africa/Asia?)
Naples - Colkate (You Italy guys are a bit close, anyone fancying a switch to Burgundy or something in Africa/Asia?)
Poland - Manik
Wallachia - KingSnake
Georgia - Wink (on GAF but he cant login because he doesnt have his PW and his mail address isnt active anymore)
Novgorod - Crab
Hosokawa - Mgoblue201 (He is free to change to japan though since Ming is right next door)
Viyanagar - Toma
Ming - Kabouter

I tried to balance it a bit so that no one is really alone, otherwise Ming would have been the only country in Asia and... well... Kabouter might as well play SP then :p

Toma

Two Italian powers could get ugly.

Yeah, but I asked Naples guy and he said he'd leave Italy to Venice and focus on other stuff if that was what Venice planned. Otherwise if someone disagrees, they are still free to suggest a different starting nation thats not too aggressively next to someone else. The other choices these two offered were a closer to other human players than the Venice/Naples setup.

Maybe one of those two would want to switch to Burgundy or something in Africa or Asia.

Kabouter

If anyone is curious, this is how the MP round will start:

Castile - FACE
Scotland - RugMonkey
Venice - Archnemesis (You Italy guys are a bit close, anyone fancying a switch to Burgundy or something in Africa/Asia?)
Naples - Colkate (You Italy guys are a bit close, anyone fancying a switch to Burgundy or something in Africa/Asia?)
Poland - Manik
Wallachia - KingSnake
Georgia - Wink (on GAF but he cant login because he doesnt have his PW and his mail address isnt active anymore)
Novgorod - Crab
Hosokawa - Mgoblue201 (He is free to change to japan though since Ming is right next door)
Viyanagar - Toma
Ming - Kabouter

I tried to balance it a bit so that no one is really alone, otherwise Ming would have been the only country in Asia and... well... Kabouter might as well play SP then :p

I don't think I'd be alone for very long tbh. Novgorod -> Russia -> Colonizing to the far East at an insane rate. Presumably Poland will also push East after inheriting Lithuania. This is fine too though if you want to play Vijaya, but don't feel like you have to choose it because of me, you can choose a European power if you'd prefer that. And even aside from all that, Mgo is playing Japan.

Edit: Oh, and I wish Ming extended that deep into South-East Asia :p

Edit 2: And have Wink e-mail support@neogaf.com for account troubles

Dascu

Don't have EU4, nor the time to devote to such a game right now, but I would've loved to join in with you guys. Have fun!

Toma

Edit: Oh, and I wish Ming extended that deep into South-East Asia :p

Corrected the picture.
And I think it wont take long until Ming reaches that far :p

Yeah, but I asked Naples guy and he said he'd leave Italy to Venice and focus on other stuff if that was what Venice planned.
I think it will work out fine. My initial plan wasn't to invade the Italian peninsula, but of course I'll try to be flexible throughout the game.

Fitz

Naples was my second choice initially, after Algiers, but I might go back them. Whilst quite close to FACE in Iberia, I imagine it will be a less initially conflict prone area, unless he wants to face the Berber coring penalties. Not too bothered either way I guess.

Toma

I think it will work out fine. My initial plan wasn't to invade the Italian peninsula, but of course I'll try to be flexible throughout the game.

Naples was my second choice initially, after Algiers, but I might go back them. Whilst quite close to FACE in Iberia, I imagine it will be a less initially conflict prone area, unless he wants to face the Berber coring penalties. Not too bothered either way I guess.

If both of you are fine with it, we'll just leave it at the current setup. Better for the tech levels of the players in that area anyway.

Toma

Is this starting today or next Tuesday?

Today 11pm CET. We'll meet before in the Steam group conference chat, but I am sure today wont be much playing and just fiddling with the technical side of things.

Toma

I haven't had problems since 1.1 tbh.

Well, I wouldnt mind if it simply worked, but we'll see what happens tonight. Looking forward to finally starting it :)

Toma

Is it to late to join in on the game?

I assume it is 23-00 CET (that is 23 for Swedes as well?).

Yup, 11pm in sweden. Wishes for your country of choice? I'd suggest Burgundy/Brittany, or something in Africa/Asia.

Kabouter

Yup, 11pm in sweden. Wishes for your country of choice? I'd suggest Burgundy/Brittany, or something in Africa/Asia.

I think Asia might be a bit crowded if he goes there with Japan + India + China in there. Don't forget it has a far lower province density than Europe (Japan itself excepted). He's better off with Portugal, Burgundy or France.

Toma

I think Asia might be a bit crowded if he goes there with Japan + India + China in there. Don't forget it has a far lower province density than Europe (Japan itself excepted). He's better off with Portugal, Burgundy or France.

Ah, true.

He can also play Inca/Maya :D Someone actually voted for those 2 on his country list.

fanboi

Banned
Inca/Maya? I would have higher chance of surviving and account suicide on GAF :D

I will go France, never played them.

fanboi

Banned
Are we using GAF mumble or something to smite each other, or is the risk of being to "cute" against each other to high then?

Also, to start off, fuck you Castille.

*Casus Belli gained against France!*

*They insulted us*

Kabouter

Are we using GAF mumble or something to smite each other, or is the risk of being to "cute" against each other to high then?

*They insulted us*

I figure we just use the ingame chat no?

Toma

What time is this game happening? I'm trying to figure out if my odd hours fit into Euro playing time.

11pm CET, which is in about 7:30 hours and then 1 hour on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays.

*They insulted us*

Sure you want France? How good are you at this game? If you are a somewhat decent player, I'd like to avoid giving you France. I'd suggest taking a less strong country because otherwise you'll steamroll every other european country. As I said, Burgundy would be a good suggestion then.

Ingame chat and the steam group chat room, yeah.

fanboi

Banned
11pm CET, which is in about 7:30 hours and then 1 hour on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays.

Sure you want France? How good are you at this game? If you are a somewhat decent player, I'd like to avoid giving you France. I'd suggest taking a less strong country because otherwise you'll steamroll every other european country. As I said, Burgundy would be a good suggestion then.

Well, I just played ironman as Scandinavia and held off Russia, Austria, Great Brittan and a bunch of smaller countries ? :D

Well, I assumed France was hard (since they have never ever formed in any of my games in EU4, while Burgundy have blobed up).

I will go with Burgundy, email to me jhalvarsson@gmail.com, steam is fanboi

I agree 110%

Top Bottom