• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone knows if it's possible to form Greece? I tried with several greek states but none has a decision to do that :(

Wait for a 4,99€ DLC to add the decision.

Fixed as in...bring back ping-ponging?

Fixed as in limits the distance of the retreat to something a bit more managable, or at the least stops it from regenerating morale while retreating so that when you catch it it doesn't just run from Nice to Caux again. It's particularly frustrating when they are defeated relatively deep in your territory but get a broken retreat to halfway through their country.

Anyone knows if it's possible to form Greece? I tried with several greek states but none has a decision to do that :(

In EU3 Greece could only be formed by rebels.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fixed as in limits the distance of the retreat to something a bit more managable, or at the least stops it from regenerating morale while retreating so that when you catch it it doesn't just run from Nice to Caux again. It's particularly frustrating when they are defeated relatively deep in your territory but get a broken retreat to halfway through their country.

Yep, its still pingponging. Super annoying.

Jhriad

I also think it makes more role-play/historical sense to lose Constantinople

Byzantium in the period practically IS Constantinople in many respects. If the strategy is to give up Constantinople (which falls way too easily to be historically representative) you might as well just give the Byzantines an event to call themselves Greece and be done with it. It would make more sense if the Byzantines had some diplomatic method of gaining Western European support/allies or pulling folks into a coalition against the Ottomans. Maybe an appeal to Rome, the HRE, or even some way to pull the Balkan states into some temporary alliance to push back the Turkish tide. The galley spam in the Bosphorus was a pretty gamey way to win but they've just replaced it with an even less likely scenario that is just as gamey.

Any tips for getting England off of Ireland (playing as one of the Irish countries)? Is it just pure luck? I've gotten alliances with France / Denmark / Scotland and tried all manner of ways of getting Meath.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think it's better to ally yourself with Castile, France, and maybe Denmark. In my experience Scotland will inevitably set you as a rival once you consolidate most of Ireland, and their usefulness as an ally against England is questionable anyway. Castile is a much more useful ally for when you have to deal with Portugal. You can easily drive up war score in two different ways: the ticking war score from Meath, obviously, and also having your continental allies annihilate England's continental allies. The worst case scenario is that England drops off 15,000 troops in Ireland, but it's possible to string them out long enough, or perhaps beat their army outright if you have a lot of money for mercs, to eventually get them to capitulate. At this point you should have about 30 to 40 war score, and the vast disparity in the quality of your respective allies will make England's war enthusiasm drop rather quickly.

I think it's better to ally yourself with Castile, France, and maybe Denmark. In my experience Scotland will inevitably set you as a rival once you consolidate most of Ireland, and their usefulness as an ally against England is questionable anyway. Castile is a much more useful ally for when you have to deal with Portugal. You can easily drive up war score in two different ways: the ticking war score from Meath, obviously, and also having your continental allies annihilate England's continental allies. The worst case scenario is that England drops off 15,000 troops in Ireland, but it's possible to string them out long enough, or perhaps beat their army outright if you have a lot of money for mercs, to eventually get them to capitulate. At this point you should have about 30 to 40 war score, and the vast disparity in the quality of your respective allies will make England's war enthusiasm drop rather quickly.

Thanks for the tips. Finally managed to do it. Involved some of the tricks you suggested along with a few lucky battles; I managed to annihilate two armies that they tried to land by attacking them just after they landed in Meath. Was slightly outnumbered by got some good offensive dice rolls. Then we stalemated for about 2 years, with their fleets sitting menacingly in the straight, but no further armies landed. Finally had enough warscore to demand Meath.

Mgoblue201

Ireland actually isn't in a terrible position at all. The biggest advantage you have is that you can leap ahead of England in military tech and perhaps even choose a military idea by the time you're ready to declare war against them. Focusing on the quality of your troops is important because it's difficult to recruit an army that is numerically equivalent to the English forces. Conquering the other three independent Irish provinces will only raise your force limit to about 7,000 (though if you've saved up about 500 to 600 gold, it's possible to hire enough mercenaries to defeat the English). The biggest problem is that the first engagement has to be absolutely decisive, because the losing army has nowhere to run and will probably be crushed quickly unless it's a close battle.

As long as France and Castile join your war (and in my experience they do), you'll always have just enough war score to extort things from the English AI. The only thing you have to do is to keep England from occupying Irish provinces. Actually gaining a foothold in England, however, requires some luck. All kinds of things can go wrong. The War of the Roses event may not fire. France may not finish their reconquest if they keep helping you with defensive wars against England. It may take decades before they move their armies off the islands. But most of the time England will get in a war that leaves their army depleted, and that is always a good time to strike.

Anyway, since I just completed the achievement last night, here's what my Ireland looks like.

E4300179FE2A3B587AE985051E05026F2BF61D21

Anyone given this game a go on the Surface Pro? Considering getting the Pro 2 and was wondering if this would work well. Civilization 5 works brilliantly I hear but that game is much much UI friendly.

Omikron

Yeah, Catholic rebels and Aceh attacking as well. Went through a brutal war with Russia and it left me with no manpower and limited forces and got a bit of dog piling after that. The rebels are just the icing, and broke the country, Korea has now returned for the first time since 1500 or so.

Fitz

The new War Taxes system is so great, far more useful than the old system. Only problem is I'm used to not using it, so I keep forgetting until halfway through wars.

Berto

Today I decided to conquer India with Portugal, so I declared a Holy War on Vijayanagar. My goal with the Show Superiority CB is to win 80% of the battles (I am very close to doing it) however when I try to sue for peace I'm unable to choose provincies I already conquered (the tab in the peace offer is even greyed out and I cant click it). Why is that? Do I have to get that 80% score to do so? Or is it impossible in a Holy War?

Mgoblue201

Actually, it was the conquest of Mecklenburg - the last province I needed to own the entire Baltic coast. The unholy Swedish-Ottoman alliance came about because every other major power in Europe (except for maybe Spain) had already set me as a rival. With 200,000 soldiers, though, they were an obvious foil against Muscovy, whom, out of every other nation, I was most afraid of. I haven't fought Muscovy yet, but the Ottomans were eager to help me fight all my other wars. They were the only useful ally who could have bled Austria of all its manpower so easily.

The length of battles since the last patch has somehow become even worse than the interminable battles that were present in Victoria 2. Here's one extreme example. Battle starts in October of 1678:

And doesn't end until March 11, 1681:

The 1.2.3 update changed the battles and not for the better. Sure, I'm not seeing entire armies disappearing, but the longer battle-times mean longer wars (and more ping-ponging)... combined with the more aggressive coalition behavior and it's just about made expansion improbable after 1650.

Kabouter

Actually, it was the conquest of Mecklenburg - the last province I needed to own the entire Baltic coast. The unholy Swedish-Ottoman alliance came about because every other major power in Europe (except for maybe Spain) had already set me as a rival. With 200,000 soldiers, though, they were an obvious foil against Muscovy, whom, out of every other nation, I was most afraid of. I haven't fought Muscovy yet, but the Ottomans were eager to help me fight all my other wars. They were the only useful ally who could have bled Austria of all its manpower so easily.

Yeah, the Ottomans can definitely be an asset. I'm playing a Morocco game where I've basically built an empire on wars fought by the Ottomans for me. Have most of South America now and a good chunk of Africa, and am looking to expand into Iberia now.

Fitz

I feel sorry for anyone having to play this at a low resolution. I'm in the middle of a typical Spain game at the moment and the outliner hasn't all fit for a long time. Being able to split it somehow to have a separate one just for keeping track of armies/fleets would be very convenient.

jtb

Banned
I have yet to pull the trigger on this. How well does this run? Ideally I'd like to run it on a Macbook Air (boot camp is fine).

I have yet to pull the trigger on this. How well does this run? Ideally I'd like to run it on a Macbook Air (boot camp is fine).

It technically runs on HD3000 graphics, but not that well. People with 2011 MBAs can run the game, although not amazingly. It doesn't require fast reflexes, so it should be playable. If you have the latest MBAs I'm sure it'll be fine.

bjaelke

“Several” Europa Universalis IV expansions planned, one by the end of 2013
Johan Andersson, studio manager of Paradox Development Studio, has told IncGamers that there are “several larger expansions” planned for grand strategy title Europa Universalis IV. The first of these is scheduled for release before the end of 2013 and is said to be “roughly” the same size and scope as ‘The Old Gods’ from Crusader Kings II.

Precisely what that add-on contains is not yet known, and Andersson says that later expansions are not yet set in stone either. “We keep it very open now because a lot comes down to what our audience requests and what we believe can be created to enhance the game,” he says.

You can probably rule out some of the more absurd alt-history DLC like ‘Sunset Invasion,’ however. When asked about the mysterious dinosaur/UFO art files found in Europa Universalis IV, Andersson confirms that those were “a developer in-joke.”

“Europa Universalis IV will always be a historical strategy game. We might look to explore alternate history for the game, but we will most likely focus on plausible alternate history,” he adds.

In the more immediate future, the game will be getting further patches. Patch 1.3 will “hopefully” be released later this month or in early November. This, says Andersson, “will include improvements for the AI, balance the game even further and handle some of the requests from our gamers.”

IncGamers will be publishing the full interview, discussing the breakthrough successes of Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV, in the near future.

Fitz

If it's not addressed in a patch, I'd really love to see some love for non-Catholic religions, mainly the non-Abrahamic ones. Would be nice if all religions had some unique mechanics similar to the Holy See, Patriarchal Authority and Piety. They really need to fix +papal authority bonuses to give something for non-Catholic religions too, but that should be within the scope of a patch.

robjoh

I have just started a Iron Man Hansa game and I think I need to get some answers to a couple of questions.

The start has been decent first I have focused on the small HRE members close to me. I have taken Mecklenburg and Lüneburg. I allied myself with Sweden as soon as I noticed that the Kalmarunion was dissolved. Together we waged a successful war against Denmark which gave me Holstein but more important weakened the Danish and the Norwegian navy.

The plan for the roughly next 30-50 years as Hansa is something as the following:
* Continue to build up the trade fleet.
* When the truce ends with Denmark, restart the war and focus on growing north.

After that I have some idea to try to get some explorers and colonize North America.

So questions:
* How should I approach the use of my trade fleet? Dominate one trade node or try to strengthen the transfer of trade to Lübeck from the Baltic Sea and the North Sea?

* If I want to colonize North America, what do I need in terms of ports and ships? Can I jump directly from the north of Denmark to America?

* If I gain Denmark, is it worth to spend resources expanding south into the HRE trying to gain more influence in the HRE?

Mgoblue201

The Hansa already receives large bonuses to trade power through its ideas and government type, in addition to the cumulative effect of all the other small bonuses, and therefore it should dominate the Lubeck node with ease. Combined with The Hansa's tradition, which confers +10% to trade steering, I'd place most of the light ships in the North Sea and Baltic trade nodes to funnel that wealth to Lubeck. But it's a good idea to experiment with your trade fleet in various nodes to maximize the income you are receiving from trade.

The best strategy for colonizing the Americas as early as possible as a northern European power, in my opinion, is to jump from Iceland to Greenland to North America. However, if Norway doesn't particularly like you or is competing with you as a colonial power, it might not give you fleet basing rights, so you might have to conquer Iceland if you're really committed to getting a huge lead in the colonization game. The other option is to wait for your colonial range to expand and try to get fleet basing rights from a western European nation, which might be difficult if it's England or France or anyone else also trying to colonize North America.

Kabouter

* If I gain Denmark, is it worth to spend resources expanding south into the HRE trying to gain more influence in the HRE?

It's worth expanding South-West into the HRE to eventually move your capital to the Antwerp trade node, one of two trade nodes (the other being Venice) where trade can only enter, not leave.

robjoh

The best strategy for colonizing the Americas as early as possible as a northern European power, in my opinion, is to jump from Iceland to Greenland to North America. However, if Norway doesn't particularly like you or is competing with you as a colonial power, it might not give you fleet basing rights

Well I am planning to wage constant war with Norway (PU with Denmark)...probably a good idea to have a goal to cancel the PU between Norway and Denmark during the next war.

It's worth expanding South-West into the HRE to eventually move your capital to the Antwerp trade node, one of two trade nodes (the other being Venice) where trade can only enter, not leave.

This is something I had not thought about, my idea was just to gain more land to gain influence in the HRE. Thanks for the tip!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There really needs to be a range limit on coalitions or something. It's just not fair that after expanding into Europe as the Ottomans and getting coalition blobbed (with punitive wars every decade no less), I meet the same resistance when I try to expand east and south. I mean the Mamluks have ONLY survived this long because they joined the coalition after my very first war against them. I dare not attack them with Europe breathing down my back, and now that I'm bordering Muscovy, I have to potentially deal with the biggest coalition blob ever. The only way it could be worse is if Ming or or the Oirat horde joined in. I can't even touch India because I'm fenced off by a country that's in the coalition against me. I don't even remember their name, that's how insignificant they are, but they are still untouchable,

Right now the coalition has died down (after a decade or two of doing absolutely nothing) but I have no doubt that the next time I wardec someone everyone's going to jump on my ass. At least I have "Sabotage Reputation" so I can do something while I wait out the coalition storm.

(I hate alliance blobs too, I attacked Genoa thinking all I had to deal were his allies but noooo, Austria had to bring in Russia. And then Algiers dragged me into a war with Portugal and Castile. Fucking hell)

PS: I think its kind of bullshit that I have to be 8 techs behind a Western country in order to Westernize. My troops are already inferior. Do I have to stunt my gtowth as well????

PS: I think its kind of bullshit that I have to be 8 techs behind a Western country in order to Westernize. My troops are already inferior. Do I have to stunt my gtowth as well????

Ottoman military tech only starts to drop behind Western around tech 24. It remains competitive with Eastern and is much stronger than the other techs to max level. If you want to keep playing in Europe, you will either need to field 2x as many units as Western or westernize before 1700 (to break even in monarch points). Your tech lag only needs to be 8 levels combined in the three techs.

My general strategy is to ignore Diplomacy and get to Admin 12 (for the 3 idea groups to max out national ideas); then I dump Admin. and Dip. into buildings. I usually get the offer to westernize around 1580, depending on if I'm bordering Austria or Venice (consider leaving Naxos alone, Venice can make an excellent neighbor for westernization).

As for AE, 1.2.2 severely messed up how it was calculated and applied. Your best bet is to cycle through hot wars in different theaters and cold wars to burn off the AE.

Haly

Cold and hot wars? What is this demonic language???

(Naples was Vassaled, Timurids were accidentally the whole PU.)

Mgoblue201

I played an Ottoman game not too long ago for the Sultan of Rum achievement and didn't have a huge problem with coalitions (although I did have to abort my first attempt when the newest patch came out and changed the coalition mechanics). I would have recommended doing three things from the start. 1) Ally with France (in fact, a Franco-Ottoman alliance has its own historical antecedent rooted in opposition to the Habsburg's growing power). 2) Try to avoid borders with the major Christian powers in eastern Europe, or at least vassalize someone and set up a buffer state. 3) Focus mostly on the Mamluks at the beginning of the game before expanding north or west. Syria makes a really useful vassal because you can force the Mamluks to return their cores (of which they have like five or six) and then feed them every province from the Levant to Egypt. Controlling the Gulf of Aden-Alexandria-Constantinople trade route as soon as possible is extremely valuable.

I have to imagine Paradox will eventually introduce some mechanic for breaking up coalitions. Too many fans have suggested it.

After a few practices I finally grasped some basics of the game. This is my first game as Spain. I'd like to know how do I claim territory in Asia or gain casus belli to conquer one of the Asian provinces to trigger the "East Indian" modifier? In my game, the British has a claim on lower Sind, how did the AI do that?

CKSm4Iy.jpg

Also, I still don't quite understand how the trading works. This is my Spain's balance sheet. Trading is just 13.22 ducats :(. How do I boost my economy overall (maxed my Economy idea already).

tOcy9BM.jpg

This is my trading screen. Any room for improvement?

deGEIIz.jpg

Fitz

I believe most of the major western colonial nations get a mission at some point along the lines of "Establish a Presence in India" or some such, for the duration, it gives claims on the entire Indian coast (a region you can see in the region map mode).
The main way to move in on Asia however, is through the final part of the Expansion Ideas, which gives a CB on any nation in the Indian, Chinese or Nomad tech groups. I don't really remember the specifics for the modifiers, but you should be able to check through the menu in the bottom right of the UI below the minimap.

As far as trade goes, your best bet is to check this out: http://eu4wiki.com/Trade
If you want quick and dirty, as Spain, focus on forwarding trade to Sevilla via the Caribbean and also around Africa via the Gulf of Aden.

ZZMitch

A good tip for trading is to direct as much trade is possible into the trade node with your capital in it. Use your merchants to direct trade into that node. You don't need to keep a merchant in your capital node since that node auto-collects anyway and you only get a 10% bonus from a merchant there so it isn't really worth it.

So in your case change the merchant in Chesapeake to direct trade into your capital node. And move your merchant from Sevilla to another node where you have some trade power (either through provinces or light ships) that can be directed into either your capital node directly or into the Chesapeake node (which will then be directed into your capital node).

Hope that helps some!

Cold and hot wars? What is this demonic language???

(Naples was Vassaled, Timurids were accidentally the whole PU.)

If you have the ideas, you can sabotage reputation, which is helpful to get your enemies hating each other instead of you; spam Improve Relations & hire a diplomat (+ Relations Over Time) while you burn off the AE.

Haly

I see. I actually do have espionage but I picked it up late. Went religion first because let me tell you, those Sunni/Shi'ite relations are no joke.

Top Bottom