• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

A good tip for trading is to direct as much trade is possible into the trade node with your capital in it. Use your merchants to direct trade into that node. You don't need to keep a merchant in your capital node since that node auto-collects anyway and you only get a 10% bonus from a merchant there so it isn't really worth it.

Never, ever, ever steer trade to Europe -- the majority of the world's trade ships are there, with the best tech (higher trade % per ship). You should own provinces at trade nodes prior to Europe and collect from there.

Kabouter

Never, ever, ever steer trade to Europe -- the majority of the world's trade ships are there, with the best tech (higher trade % per ship). You should own provinces at trade nodes prior to Europe and collect from there.

Sure you should, in one of my games I am the only one collecting in both Antwerp and Venice :+.

ZZMitch

Unless you move your capital to the New World, then I think you are wrong. The malus for collecting in a non-capital node is just too big to be a viable option.

Kabouter

ZnkSkSY.jpg
So this was fun. Me, Bohemia and my vassals (Provence, Croatia, Bosnia) versus the rest. ThoseDeafMutes is playing Bavaria, so thankfully no danger from that. I actually eventually managed to white peace out of this though by fighting incredibly defensively in the Pyrenees. I'm really happy I have so many military ideas + good national ideas giving me 145% discipline (150% with advisor), would have had to give up a ton otherwise.

Current situation is this. Still need to sell a few of those French provinces to Provence, but the latest war just ended, so I haven't gotten around to that yet. Next up is probably a war with Naples (and with that, Castile, which fields the largest army of any nation)

Unless you move your capital to the New World, then I think you are wrong. The malus for collecting in a non-capital node is just too big to be a viable option.

Unless you conquer everybody in your home node and destroy every other naval power, you will be sharing a significant amount of your overseas income with your rivals. You are going to see that money (your money!) plowed into ships and troops to hurt you. The amount you lose by stopping and collecting trade before Europe is balanced against the money you stop your rivals from making from your trade.

Fitz

They seem to have kept the majority of changes under wraps for 1.3, there was a ton of changes leaked before 1.2. I hope this doesn't mean a small patch, there's so many things to improve on.

They seem to have kept the majority of changes under wraps for 1.3, there was a ton of changes leaked before 1.2. I hope this doesn't mean a small patch, there's so many things to improve on.

It probably won't be as big as 1.2. But yeah, the game still needs plenty of work, though much of that is on the design end that I'm not sure they are going to change at this point.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's strange to hear people love this song when I used to delete it from the file directory in EU2 because it was so annoying.

I'd hate it if it came back, but now it's gone I miss it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Burbank_

Im playing Sweden in 30-year war and after several restarts I need some advice.
Finding it impossible to gain any lands in Denmark or anywhere else in Europe because of f****g webs of alliances that destroy any attempts at aggression.

Will AI's always defend eachother? Denmark just allies with England, Russia, France or all three. Any way to break AI alliances or force countries to wardec you?
In a straight fight my 6+6 king would stomp Denmarks army.

ZZMitch

Im playing Sweden in 30-year war and after several restarts I need some advice.
Finding it impossible to gain any lands in Denmark or anywhere else in Europe because of f****g webs of alliances that destroy any attempts at aggression.

Will AI's always defend eachother? Denmark just allies with England, Russia, France or all three. Any way to break AI alliances or force countries to wardec you?
In a straight fight my 6+6 king would stomp Denmarks army.

You can always get a strong ally of your own to cancel out Denmarks ally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Always befriend a major power first, either near your war target or near one of your flanks, so that they can slow down the eventual AI alliance/coalition blob while you blitz your target (grab all of their land asap to force 100% warscore).

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The soundtrack was great, but given the hours I'm pouring into EU4, I've inevitably gotten bored of it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for music that fits well with the game?

Kabouter

I have no recommendations for good music that fits with the game, I usually just watch TV whilst playing. Documentaries in particular are good I find.

Mr.Mike

I have no recommendations for good music that fits with the game, I usually just watch TV whilst playing. Documentaries in particular are good I find.

I usually listen to audio podcasts while playing. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Europa Universalis make a great combo!

Fitz

That's a big list, glad they've sorted exiled rebels, I've had some knocking about in the multiplayer game in my lands for a while now. Also formable Westphalia is especially nice, as well as Greece and Hannover.

Mr.Mike

-HRE members of same religion as emperor will no longer get upset when emperor enforces religious unity on another member.

This comes the day after I lost the Emperor position because of the relations penalty from Enforcing Religious Unity. And after I had done the no internal wars thing too

It's pretty clearly a joke. Other than the Monkey King maybe.
241369 Europa Universalis IV: The Monkey King (241369) Depot Unused
241370 Europa Universalis IV: Horse Armor and Monocles Addon Pack (241370) Depot Unused
241371 Europa Universalis IV: Moose Riders of the North Unit Pack (241371) Depot Unused
241372 Europa Universalis IV: Falalalan Dubstep Rap Remix (Infinite loop version) (241372) Depot Unused
If it was just one joke DLC, I could see them actually releasing it, but all of those bottom three? I doubt they'll actually sell them.

Edit: Oh, you mean that specific post. Yeah, that's messed up.

Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise expansion New World themed expansion.

So, the time has come to announce the first expansion for our empire-building game Europa Universalis IV. As you all know, Europa Universalis IV is a game where you can play any country in the world. However the main focus has always been on Europe (hence Europa Universalis ), but now the time has come to move that focus a little, across the Atlantic. It’s time to do the Conquest of Paradise!

Finding Paradise
Are you ready to explore a brave new world? Personally, a lot of the fun in playing Europa Universalis is the first X in the term ‘4x’, eXploration and sending explorers out to discover new continents. If you play a nation in Europe close to the sea, you will send out an explorer to find America or the route to India.
However, when it comes to true exploration, as opposed to real world explorers, you as a player have an advantage - because you would know where you should go to find a new continent. Most Europa Universalis IV players, unlike most 15th century explorers, have a rough idea about where America is - so some of the excitement in exploration is lost.
Therefore, in Conquest of Paradise, you as a player will have the option of completely randomizing the new world. We wanted you to have the option to really explore a brand new continent. So for the first time ever in a Paradox Development Studio game, you can now choose to discover a completely randomized American continent. Therefore, when Columbus sets sails across the ocean, he might just find some nice islands that he can use as a stopover on his route to India or something completely different…

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise expansion New World themed expansion.

That is a cool idea for SP especially. Not sure how much sense it makes in an MP environment where I try to calculate risks vs odds and where players can just play the savegame in between each session to uncover the whole map in SP before others see it in MP. Sounds like an extra hassle to me in an MP environment at least.

Or has anyone another impression?

Really looking forward to it as SP content though. Not sure where we are going to discuss it, so crossposting.

Fitz

Randomised new world layout sounds decent enough, but I'm far more interested in the changes to natives and colonisation. Engaging in either involves a large amount of tedium at the moment which I'd love to see turned into fun and interesting gameplay. Ideally I want them to replace the tedium of spamming colonists everywhere with some form high-level colonial management from the player, and insert things like interesting pirate mechanics.

bjaelke

"The changes to exploration will be explored in a live stream on November 7, featuring Europa Universalis IV Project Lead Thomas Johansson. To see Conquest of Paradise firsthand, join the stream at 8 p.m. CET / 11 a.m. PST on Paradox Interactive’s Twitch.tv channel at www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive."
I'm really liking the idea of randomized New World. Any info when it releases?

Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise will release on all major digital-download portals on December 11th, 2013.

Some more insights:
- The minimap now only shows the lands you've discovered
- The randomization itself is optional and is (at the moment) compatible with Ironman.
- Randomization works in multiplayer
- Only the Americas are randomized (at the moment)
- There's going to be new American provinces
- PDS is shooting for $15 / €15 price point (ex. was the CK2 "Old Gods" DLC)
- Modders may be able to randomize the entire world map

Walshicus

Love the changes. They're absolutely right that knowing the layout of the New World is gamey in itself; I don't think it detracts anything from the game to have the Terra Incognita be truly unknown.

Hey EUIV-GAF, thinking about diving into Paradox games after 10 years of playing civ. Even though this just came out, is there any chance it goes on sale during Steam's Thanksgiving event?

Hey EUIV-GAF, thinking about diving into Paradox games after 10 years of playing civ. Even though this just came out, is there any chance it goes on sale during Steam's Thanksgiving event?

There's probably a good chance it goes on sale then. Paradox is usually pretty quick to put their games on sale.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
We are dropping players like flies, and there is more and more talk in the multiplayer thread about starting a new game of EU4 mp on gaf. Would anybody from here be interested in joining if such a game came to be?

Kabouter

We are dropping players like flies, and there is more and more talk in the multiplayer thread about starting a new game of EU4 mp on gaf. Would anybody from here be interested in joining if such a game came to be?

Tbh, not really, for two reasons.
A. I like following your current game
B. If we start a new one, I would like to not be forced into picking from a small pool of existing great powers just because otherwise I won't get to interact with other players meaningfully since games end prematurely.

Oh, and I would only be interested in joining a new game after that one ends if sessions were planned at better hours, and sessions were preferably longer (fewer times a week in exchange for this would be fine).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont think we should force anybody to pick anyone in particular, but yeah, the games will probably continue to "end prematurely", and for me that is not really a problem. If it is for you though, I can see why you wouldnt want to join again. About the times, I think we should let the majority of the players actually joining a new game decide when we play.

Top Bottom