• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European/Australasia Magazine reviews

Well why not...

Pelaaja 9/2004 (The best Finnish magazine at the moment):

Doom 3 - 3.5 / 5
The Sims 2 - 4.5
Sudeki - 2
Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow - 4.5
Shellshock: Nam '67 - 2.5
Obscure - 4
NHL 2005 - 4
Resident Evil Outbreak - 2
Burnout 3 - 4.5
Headhunter: Redempion - 3
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - 4
Second Sight - 3.5 and 3.5
Psi-Ops - 4 and 4
Star Wars: Battlefront - 4.5
Animal Crossing - 5
Wario Ware - 3.5
Spider-Man 2 GBA - 2
Ghost Recon: Jungle Strom N-Gage - 4

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
HooDoo said:
What kind of "best magazine" can give Sims 2 a better score than Doom 3 ?

Sims: Best selling franchise ever
Doom 3: World of over promise and under-delivery

That would be my guess...

HooDoo

Sims 2 was an example, I was just saying that 'best' magazine has really odd scores. Apparantly Ghost Recon on Ngage is more enjoyable than Doom 3.

I guess we could find the same kind of magazine here in France but I wouldnt call it the best around.

B E N K E said:
It's not like there are that many magazines to choose from in Finland. Pelaaja and Pelit, right?

Yeah, and Tilt I guess (I only read the first issue, wasn't too impressed) and some smaller ones. Pelit is not as good as it used to be, as a PC mag it's still ok.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Joker mag (the biggest Slovenian magazine for games)

Burnout 3 - 93
Headhunter 2 - 62
kill.switch - 52
Shellshock: Nam '67 - 49
Richard Burns Rally - 83
Psi Ops - 77
D-Day - 73
Mario golf:Advance tour - 88
Guilty Gear XX: #Reload - 90

HooDoo said:
Sims 2 was an example, I was just saying that 'best' magazine has really odd scores. Apparantly Ghost Recon on Ngage is more enjoyable than Doom 3.

I guess we could find the same kind of magazine here in France but I wouldnt call it the best around.

Let's check gamerankings.com again...

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm - NGE Avg Ratio: 91%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/919267.asp

Doom 3 - PC - Avg Ratio: 89%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/469881.asp?q=doom 3

Of course they are not comparing N-Gage games to PC games, but to other N-Gage games. Ghost Recon seems to be one of the rare good ones.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor

IgeL

Regarding the Finnish mags, there's three big ones; Pelit, Pelaaja and Tilt (Tilt has improved since the first issues, although I guess I'm a bit biased). I'd say Pelit has the best PC journos, otherwise they're all as good. None is superb, and I find myself constantly disagreeing with each (reviews/facts, etc - there were a lot of pro-PS2 & anti-Xbox sentiments/knowledge in Pelaaja in its early issues but it's not that bad anymore, and all of the mags make mistakes every now and then). But that's how it goes - a perfect mag is quite impossible to make. There are some other Finnish mags too but they suck (like Pelimestari).

WarPig

Gazunta said:
Is Riot still running Pelaaja?

I never got my copy ;)

He gave me mine, the one with Transformers on the cover. I think I lost it somewhere along the lines, tho...

I didn't get any money for it, but for some reason I find it immensely entertaining that I've been published in Finnish.

DFS.

Gazunta

Yeah, me too. And hey not getting paid by Fin who says upfront you're doing it for free is way, way better than writing for a US mag who says they will pay you and never do...cough. Oh yeah, I really miss freelance. HA!

The thought of my writing appearing in another language just gives me the giggles :)

Riot, if you're out there, I'm bored as hell and want to get back into the games writing thing. God help me.

GAZZA!!!

I had wrote down your wedding day on my calendar, so I'd be sure to send in my congratulations...but I need your email for that. Gimme a private message here mate, so we can get it sorted. Congrats btw :)

That reminds me. We would Love a column. Asap. Yeah, I'm still pimping my friends.

Top Bottom