• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European GSD May 2024: EA FC 24 #1, GTAV #2, F1 24 #3, Ghost of Tsushima #4

Killer8

May was a brutal month for game sales in Europe. With fantastic games like the System Shock remake on consoles, Hellblade 2, and the Rogue Prince of Persia all missing out on the Top 100. There are mitigating reasons, but the market remains challenged

'Fantastic'

I wonder if the mitigating reasons like poor console controls + releasing a year late (System Shock remake), being a mediocre walking sim you can one and done with a month of Game Pass (Hellblade II), and one of the most woefully ugly art styles i've seen in quite a while (Rogue Prince of Persia) had anything to do with missing out of the top 100.

Big hmm.

I just don't know how they thought Hellblade 2 was a good idea. The first game hardly set the world on fire and they doubled down. It would have taken a miracle for it to be a success.

People say they should let developers focus on their creative passion, well sometimes developers need a bit of a reality check.

See below:

5,653 without gamepass.

3,982 with gamepass.

"Sold" very "well" for a game on gamepass.
What are you trying to argue here dude? The first game sold a million copies in a year between PC and PlayStation. Game didn't crack the top 100 as a sequel. You think this did well in any way shape or form? Even with the gamepass caveat. It's pretty clear this game bombed REALLY hard.

God Damn GIF by truTV’s Impractical Jokers

kungfuian

I'm convinced at this point that Rockstar is actually some kind of money laundering front. Grand theft Auto v is popular in the same exact way as the breaking bad car wash.

I'm convinced at this point that Rockstar is actually some kind of money laundering front. Grand theft Auto v is popular in the same exact way as the breaking bad car wash.
Yeah, I find it difficult to believe that many people who want to play it still don't own it by now ... it's crazy

Alan Wake

I just don't know how they thought Hellblade 2 was a good idea. The first game hardly set the world on fire and they doubled down. It would have taken a miracle for it to be a success.

People say they should let developers focus on their creative passion, well sometimes developers need a bit of a reality check.
They obviously believed in it enough to reveal it with the new console. That's why I thought it would be bigger, better and more "mainstream" than the first one. But it was just more of the same with pretty graphics.

They obviously believed in it enough to reveal it with the new console. That's why I thought it would be bigger, better and more "mainstream" than the first one. But it was just more of the same with pretty graphics.
From the outset, it just seemed like an obscure IP with limited appeal, as it proved to be.

Feels like a step in the right direction mass appeal wise with Indy, but again in their attempt to be 'different' with the first person perspective, I feel like they'll shoot themselves in the foot again.

Alan Wake

From the outset, it just seemed like an obscure IP with limited appeal, as it proved to be.

Feels like a step in the right direction mass appeal wise with Indy, but again in their attempt to be 'different' with the first person perspective, I feel like they'll shoot themselves in the foot again.

I have faith in Machinegames, Indy is the only game from the Xbox lineup in 2024 that I believe could actually be pretty darn good (although I personally would've preferred third person).

I have faith in Machinegames, Indy is the only game from the Xbox lineup in 2024 that I believe could actually be pretty darn good (although I personally would've preferred third person).
Yeah, I hope so. I really like the look of it, puzzle solving, etc. I just feel like 1st person melee and whipping looks clumsy and isn't going to be great. FIngers crossed

I understand gamepass but how in tf did Hellblade 2 not make the TOP 100. That is just wild for a new release in a pretty slow month. Figured the game kinda bombed but this seems much worse than I imagined.
They are teaching their customers not to buy games at launch. I guess people are just learning fast? Also games are still fucking expensive in Europe. Too expensive for many.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Killjoy-NL

HB2 is boring though. At least Indiana should be fun (and is a good IP, though that last movie was dog shit).
Going by the trailers? Seemed basic as hell and graphically it's hit and miss. Animations are basic as well. It'll mostly have to rely on nostalgia.

And if it's true that ND is working on a new Uncharted title, they'll go head to head and I don't see Indiana outperforming an Uncharted.

That's not even taking abysmal Xbox software sales into consideration.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Going by the trailers? Seemed basic as hell and graphically it's hit and miss. Animations are basic as well. It'll mostly have to rely on nostalgia.

And if it's true that ND is working on a new Uncharted title, they'll go head to head and I don't see Indiana outperforming an Uncharted.

Even if it's a bad game it should still do better than HB2 IMO. That's barely a game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What are you trying to argue here dude? The first game sold a million copies in a year between PC and PlayStation. Game didn't crack the top 100 as a sequel. You think this did well in any way shape or form? Even with the gamepass caveat. It's pretty clear this game bombed REALLY hard.
That a game that is on gamepass, that is a sequel of a game that was not on gamepass and sold poorly, should sell ZERO copies. Is it clear enough now? Simple logic.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I agree with you. But I do believe that a named-IP will help the game perform quite a bit better than Hellblade 2.

On the flip side, it does require quite a few million sales because, unlike Hellblade 2, it is a licensed IP, and Xbox will be paying Disney a lot of money. So even a couple of million copies sold will not guarantee the profitability of the project.

And regarding what you said, I agree that the game just like mediocre at best and outdated at nearly everything at worst. Even 2016's Uncharted 4 looks much better than a 2025 Indiana Jones.

yazenov

Depends how they market it. People want to play games that look fun. Hellblade II didn't (and was barely a game either).
You may be right about Indiana Jones outselling Hellblade 2 due to brand recognition alone, but I think Avowed is another disaster waiting to happen for MS in 2024 (if it's not delayed to 2025)

In terms of sales ranking, or flop ranking, to be frank, it's the following in my opinion.

Indiana Jones > Avowed > Hellblade2.

All of them will be a disaster for MS in terms of sales. MS can't catch a break in 2024, continuing the disaster that was 2023 for them.

Three

'Fantastic'

I wonder if the mitigating reasons like poor console controls + releasing a year late (System Shock remake), being a mediocre walking sim you can one and done with a month of Game Pass (Hellblade II), and one of the most woefully ugly art styles i've seen in quite a while (Rogue Prince of Persia) had anything to do with missing out of the top 100.

Big hmm.
82264d5a6011c42bf13dcc61d34e0d6f6c040231.gif

Ozriel is going to come after you explaining how his undisputed reading comprehension made it very clear to him that fullstops mean subject matter changes. That last sentence has nothing to do with those games underperforming and not making top 100.

Last edited:

eerik9000

Gotta be honest, I don't understand why Ninja Theory decided that their first big game post acquisition (Bleeding Edge doesn't count) was a sequel to a AA title that didn't exactly light the world on fire and just barely prevented then from going bankrupt
Don't blame Ninja Theory, blame their owner and publisher, Microsoft, who approved this project. This was the first game announced for Xbox Series X (Series S itself would be announced months later) and Microsoft clearly wanted something to flex the console's capablities with. From what I've seen and read, Ninja Theory delivered what was expected in that regard, with Hellblade II being an Unreal Enging 5 showcase.

I know Philbo Spencer likes to boast that he allows his studios to do whatever they want and "be independent", but that's just an excuse for poor management. And Philbo knows it too, as his tenure as a GM and VP of Microsoft Studios let so many teams decay to the ground.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

You may be right about Indiana Jones outselling Hellblade 2 due to brand recognition alone, but I think Avowed is another disaster waiting to happen for MS in 2024 (if it's not delayed to 2025)

In terms of sales ranking, or flop ranking, to be frank, it's the following in my opinion.

Indiana Jones > Avowed > Hellblade2.

All of them will be a disaster for MS in terms of sales. MS can't catch a break in 2024, continuing the disaster that was 2023 for them.
This is not unlikely at all. But Microsoft have themselves to blame. Their customers have been told the past seven years they don't need to buy first party games, just get a GP subscription. And there's been lots of ways to get access to 70USD games for just one dollar. The notion that Game Pass would make people spend more is just silly. I wonder if it was ever true.

Alan Wake

Don't blame Ninja Theory, blame their owner and publisher, Microsoft, who approved this project. This was the first game announced for Xbox Series X (Series S itself would be announced months later) and Microsoft clearly wanted something to flex the console's capablities with. From what I've seen and read, Ninja Theory delivered what was expected in that regard, with Hellblade II being an Unreal Enging 5 showcase.

I know Philbo Spencer likes to boast that he allows his studios to do whatever they want and "be independent", but that's just an excuse for poor management. And Philbo knows it too, as his tenure as a GM and VP of Microsoft Studios let so many teams decay to the ground.

I kind of respect that Ninja Theory were allowed to do their thing, though. Despite both Hellblade games not being my cup of tea at all. I don't want every game to look exactly the same. But I don't understand how it could've taken this long to develop. The game is short and limited in its scope, it's not RDR2 we're talking about here.

Killjoy-NL

I kind of respect that Ninja Theory were allowed to do their thing, though. Despite both Hellblade games not being my cup of tea at all. I don't want every game to look exactly the same. But I don't understand how it could've taken this long to develop. The game is short and limited in its scope, it's not RDR2 we're talking about here.
Because people hyped up the visuals for years, so they needed to polish it as much as they could.

Sw0pDiller

Xbox sure looks like a dead brand.
Xbox is on life support but Microsoft Studio's is very much alive. They want to control the software and they are well underway to achieve just that. They tried to bully the market with hardware but that did not work out for them. Software is timeless and can run on everything. And when you own all software and their stores you run the gaming business. Steam is the last big hurdle to take to have complete control. (Sony and Nintendo will slip up a generation eventually) When Gabe dies or leaves Steam, MS will make the stock owners a deal they cannot refuse.

Tsaki

Not ranked at the Top 100 and the game launched on something like #30 to #40 on Xbox most played and disappeared afterwards so suffice to say few played it on Game Pass as well. Even fewer would consider subscribing for it.

We can use the Steam trackers to get a ballpark of revenue the game generated:
A geomean average from this gives 89,000. Let's make it 90,000 copies sold on Steam as of today.
Removing Valve's 30% cut: 90k*50*0.7 = $3,150,000 went to MS
All in all, I doubt HB2 generated over $5M for the company.

wonder if there's any chance that at some point there's some serious discussion about if and when an Xbox game doesn't go day one on Game Pass. It's going to hurt their console sales but hell what decisions from them aren't right now.
They do this already; Starfield launched on GamePass 7 days after the release day. Forza Motorsport launched on GP 5 days later.

Xbox is on life support but Microsoft Studio's is very much alive. They want to control the software and they are well underway to achieve just that. They tried to bully the market with hardware but that did not work out for them. Software is timeless and can run on everything. And when you own all software and their stores you run the gaming business. Steam is the last big hurdle to take to have complete control. (Sony and Nintendo will slip up a generation eventually) When Gabe dies or leaves Steam, MS will make the stock owners a deal they cannot refuse.
Yeah, this is not going to happen… Especially in EU…

eerik9000

I feel like big part of the original Hellblade was how it was developed: self-funded and self-published. Ninja Theory talked about it a lot, "triple-A indie", they wanted other independent devs to follow their lead. I even bough it partly because of that, just to support the devs. At the same time Housemarque was doing a similar thing: self-publishing Nex Machina after a long partnership with PlayStation. I bought that one too (that's actually a fun game to play, btw!). And what did we get in return of supporting the indies? Ninja Theory was straight out acquired by Microsoft, while Housemarque went through "arcade is dead, we are now making a battle royale" phase, before eventually getting bought out by Sony.

I don't know, Hellblade going from being a torchbearer of independent development to a marketing point for the biggest corporation on the planet just doesn't feel right. They should have done something else instead.

Yeah... um, there's one teensy problem with that plan...

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
haha….no.gif

Top Bottom