• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European GSD September 2024: PS5 #1 (-17%), NSW #2 (+1.5%), XBS #3 (-58%) | EA FC 25 #1, The Crew 2 #2, Space Marine 2 #3, Astro Bot #4

Mr Moose

Back to it being mainly Switch games, I can see why a thread wasn't made here now lol
There you go.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I don’t know if Xbox is really trying to kill itself as a console or what. Yesterday I saw the trailer for Black Ops 6 while watching hockey and it didn’t have any console branding attached to it.
Pretty sure Sony still has marketing rights for this and the next 2 cods.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Did you just ask about Famitsu thread here just to comfort yourself that Nintendo Switch is selling somewhere LMAO
Please don't talk to me. You are so feeble that the only time I've had posts deleted here were because you couldn't handle them. I don't want to converse with you, which is why since then I never have.

XXL

Pretty sure Sony still has marketing rights for this and the next 2 cods.
None of their recent internal studios trailers mention platforms.

I made a post about it yesterday
Blade

Gears Eday

Perfect Dark

State of Decay 3

None of these trailers even list platforms at all at the end of the trailers.

Every trailer posted is directly from Xbox YT.

Here are announcements before to see the difference of how trailers use to end.

Hellblade 2

Indiana Jones

Starfield

Bbau GIF by Big Brother Australia

The entire Halo presentation doesn't even mention Xbox aside from in the past tense and also says nothing about platforms.

Xbox should just rip the band-aid off at this point, imo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xbox dropped by -35% yoy last September.... 🤐

So why is Chris trying to make it seem as if it's down 58% due to Starfield launching last year?

StereoVsn

Can you imagine if Sony actually could decrease the PS5 price and have it at 400€ all the time?

The fact they still need to have it at 450/550€ and somehow it still sells like this is good...but it could be better.
Yeah, it really should be $400/€400 for disk version and $350/€350 for DE/Slim or even lower if at all possible after 4 years on the market.

There would be more PS+ subs and PSN fees to take.

Yeah, it really should be $400/€400 for disk version and $350/€350 for DE/Slim or even lower if at all possible after 4 years on the market.

There would be more PS+ subs and PSN fees to take.
I do wonder if decreasing the PS5 price long-term isn't better for them. More people to have PS Plus subscriptions. They may lose money first but in 3 years wouldn't those costs be recovered? I don't know...i have no idea how it all works lmao

StereoVsn

I do wonder if decreasing the PS5 price long-term isn't better for them. More people to have PS Plus subscriptions. They may lose money first but in 3 years wouldn't those costs be recovered? I don't know...i have no idea how it all works lmao
Yeah, and they get to take the cut off physical and digital copies, MTX, subs, etc…

Current Sony management though seems laser focused in short term profits.

XXL

I think we'll see price drops after GTA VI.

With Xbox drowning quickly, PS5 and PS5 Pro are going to do numbers when GTA VI releases (barring R* doesn't do anything extremely dumb).

I think they want to take advantage of the GTA6 sales bump before dropping the price.

I think we'll see price drops after GTA VI.

With Xbox drowning quickly, PS5 and PS5 Pro are going to do numbers when GTA VI releases (barring R* doesn't do anything extremely dumb).
That's true. A pricecut in 2026 that would give PS5 some great last 2 years. I honestly think this year PS5 will sell less units than in 2025 and 2026...but don't quote me on this later. Things are so unstable that we really can't predict anything right now.

Reactions: XXL

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
So why is Chris trying to make it seem as if it's down 58% due to Starfield launching last year?
Because this massive correction in sales is because September 2023 should have been far worse without Starfield. The trend, even while checking Microsoft's earning calls, is a steady decline in hardware sales that's only offset by some exclusive game here and there and promptly corrected the next year.

StereoVsn

That's true. A pricecut in 2026 that would give PS5 some great last 2 years. I honestly think this year PS5 will sell less units than in 2025 and 2026...but don't quote me on this later. Things are so unstable that we really can't predict anything right now.
Personally I think it’s shortsighted. They need to push even more now. Basically the goal should be to get PS5 into as many hands as they can without going into Red, so basically selling PS5 at very little or no profit.

Otherwise we are going to continue seeing monthly sales decreases.

Star Wars Outlaws not even in the top 10 is BRUTAL
People can still vote with their wallets. At least there is no cheating there.
They care only about short term profits right now.

XXL

I agree. Between GTA VI and an evacuation from the Xbox platform, I think Playstation knows damn well things are going to boom for them in the near future (starting in 2025).

Not to mention, Playstation sees how many dev kits Xbox is ordering from them. Lol.

They know more than anyone the scale this is ramping up right now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
From Installbase:

yVAUGQY.png

GUYS!.......We really need to start having a real converstation about the future of Xbox and the brand. Are people in the media paying attention? Do they see what's going on?

Drop the goddamn price you greedy sons of bitches.

how are you gonna release something like astro bot aimed at kids and then make the fucking console too expensive to buy. ridiculous.

I'm with you, but it wouldn't make financial sense to do it now.

1 * (1-0.35) * (1-0.58) = 0.273

Microsoft is selling 1/4 of the Xbox units it did 2 years ago.

So they went from selling 100K in September 2022, to 65K in September 2023 (with Starfield), to 26K this September in Europe (not including UK and Germany)? That's nuts!

Again we REALLY REALLY need to start having a real discussion about the viability of the Xbox brand worldwide.

Three

Yeah, and they get to take the cut off physical and digital copies, MTX, subs, etc…

Current Sony management though seems laser focused in short term profits.
Because it's the smart defensive thing to do at this point. Especially with competitors who are ready to spend them out of business.

If they took great loses on hardware today in hope of recouping years down the line then their competitors can release a console and it might never happen. They would have taken loses needlessly and wouldn't be in a good position to compete on price on their next console. The stickiness of sub services isn't that high, especially compared to previous gens.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

GUYS!.......We really need to start having a real converstation about the future of Xbox and the brand. Are people in the media paying attention? Do they see what's going on?

I'm with you, but it wouldn't make financial sense to do it now.

So they went from selling 100K in September 2022, to 65K in September 2023 (with Starfield), to 26K this September in Europe (not including UK and Germany)? That's nuts!

Again we REALLY REALLY need to start having a real discussion about the viability of the Xbox brand worldwide.
What's there to discuss?

It's over.

Top Bottom