• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

Interesting! The feeling I get here in Australia is that the public is really just in it for the fun of it all, and not seriously expecting to compete for votes, let alone win. We're a competitive bunch, but I think the expectations are largely in check.

This is possibly based on the perception that, without the power of a voting bloc or whatever, the big points might be hard to come by - and fear of voting backlash, too, as we're, y'know, not meant to be there.

Guy Sebastian is a solid and experienced performer, and a cheery and likeable chap, I reckon, and his song is a bit of a toe-tapper - so hopefully it all comes together okay. I would personally be rapt with a top 10 finish, and I think on merit the song is probably good enough for that.

I hope you guys in the Eurovision family have a bit of fun with us, and don't begrudge Australia's presence too much!

Eurovision has always been an occasion to make a social or political statement. I can totally see us voting for Australia for that reason alone :) Show a unified Europe and that we love the rest of the world? Doesn't get better than that imo.

Jasup

Interesting! The feeling I get here in Australia is that the public is really just in it for the fun of it all, and not seriously expecting to compete for votes, let alone win. We're a competitive bunch, but I think the expectations are largely in check.

This is possibly based on the perception that, without the power of a voting bloc or whatever, the big points might be hard to come by - and fear of voting backlash, too, as we're, y'know, not meant to be there.

Guy Sebastian is a solid and experienced performer, and a cheery and likeable chap, I reckon, and his song is a bit of a toe-tapper - so hopefully it all comes together okay. I would personally be rapt with a top 10 finish, and I think on merit the song is probably good enough for that.

I hope you guys in the Eurovision family have a bit of fun with us, and don't begrudge Australia's presence too much!

Hey, no amount of eurotrash will ever even come close to competing with the huge novelty factor of having Australia in Eurovision. It's one of the biggest things this year and will grant votes. Backed up with a solid performance you have all the chances to win.

Don't listen to anyone who's saying that you're not meant to be there, the same is said every year about every country not confined within the strict geographical boundaries set by someone. Not a year goes by on ESC threads without at least a few "Israel? I thought this was EUROvision" type shitposts.

Peru

ESC chief Jon Ola Sand confirmed in an interview with a Norwegian newspaper that they are considering other countries guesting and that South Korea has shown interest.

scamander

Banned

Even though I think there are better songs in the competition, I will vote for you just for the reason Australia can compete next year again. I would love for you to be a permanent contestant!^^

Let's hope the jury system doesn't fuck it up.

Zeknurn

Microsoft's Bing aims to predict the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest

Nonetheless, by analyzing data from social media and across the web, Microsoft is hoping to predict the winner. In a news release a few days ago, the company announced that it believed Italy would be the winner, with an 18% chance, followed by Sweden on 16.1%. However, it added that "the predictions will update regularly to reflect shifting trends taking place online."

Indeed, since then, the first Eurovision semi-final has been held, and it seems that things have changed a bit when it comes to predicting a winner. If you ask Cortana today 'Who will win Eurovision?', the new favorite is Sweden, with a 17.1% chance.

It's going to be interesting to see if they can predict the result as well as they did with the World Cup.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Australia may come by some votes, especially from UK folk, due to the fact they have to host t somewhere in Europe if they win, and people might vote in the hope they're chosen.

That's why I'm voting for Guy anyway! Belfast 2016, son.

Tugatrix

Come on Portugal, where's your Eurovision game at? Why are you always the most boring song? You were awesome in 2008 (I think). So dark and cool. Make a song about Nata.

I can only get you a song about "Favas com Chouriço", nothing of Pastel de Nata. If you ever come to Portugal go to Lisbon and try Pastel de Belém

oti

Banned
Australia may come by some votes, especially from UK folk, due to the fact they have to host t somewhere in Europe if they win, and people might vote in the hope they're chosen.

Hamburg 2016

Vitten

Setting up a Eurovision playlist for the party on Saturday, themeing it as "Unsung Heroes", so songs that aren't quite as well remembered in recent years despite being fantastic, or those that didn't win, or are just awfully good.

So far I have Eastern European Funk and We are the Winners

Any suggestions?

Euro-Vison from Telex, Belgium's entry in 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USa0zUMmqI

Telex's synthpop style was still very avantgarde at that time and definitely not something the audience in 1980 was ready for. They wanted to end last but were disappointed that one country gave them points and they ended second last.

Still a fresh and catchy song to this date.

ESC chief Jon Ola Sand confirmed in an interview with a Norwegian newspaper that they are considering other countries guesting and that South Korea has shown interest.

Oh my, if S.Korea joined that is gonna be interesting. That K-pop industry though.
Some popular K-pop is done by European producers as well. I would love it tbh.

Also one of my favourite lesser known Eurovision tracks is 'Je ne sais Quoi' but I just love my campy shit.

We probably have different tastes if those are your so-bad-it's-good picks, but from the last 5 years my picks for songs that didn't even make the finals:

2014:
Vilija Matačiūnaitė - Attention (Lithuania)
ktsG6vr.jpg

Tijana - To the Sky (F.Y.R. Macedonia)

2013:
Who See - Igranka (Montenegro)

PeR (Please explain the Rhythm) - Here We Go (Latvia)

Elitsa Todorova, Stoyan Yankulov - Samo Shampioni (Bulgaria)

2012:
Valentina Monetta - The Social Network Song (Oh Oh -- Uh - Oh Oh) (San Marino)

Rambo Amadeus - Euro Neuro (Montenegro)

2011:
Anastasiya Vinnikova - I Love Belarus (Belarus)

Dana International - Ding Dong (Israel)

Poli Genova - Na Inat (Bulgaria)

2010:
Kuunkuiskaajat - Työlki ellää (Finland)

Sieneke - Ik ben verliefd (Sha-La-Lie) (The Netherlands)

As for songs that deserved better and were totally ignored, I'd definitely put Mei Feinegold's "Same Heart" from 2014, Aliona Moon's "O Mie" from 2013, Eleftheria Eleftheriou's "Aphrodisiac" or Anggun's "Echo (You and I)" from 2012, Stella Mwangi's "Haba Haba" or Getter Jaani's "Rockefeller Street" from 2011, and Hera Björk's "Je Ne Sais Quoi" or Niamh Kavanagh's "It's For You" from 2010.

Any party mix needs Ovo je Balkan on it, though.

I'll take 2005 as the lowest border, it's 1 year below your older song, and a span of 10 years is pretty good I guess.

2005:
Andorra (La Mirada Interior)
Bulgaria (Lorraine) <- this one is an utter crime to have not even qualified to the finals
Hungary (Forogj Vilag)
Netherlands (My Impossible Dream) <- that was the strongest ballad that year imo, no idea why it was the sole one that didn't qualify :p
Romania (Let Me Try)

2006:
Belgium (Je T'adore)
Germany (No, No, Never)
Norway (Alvedansen)
Ukraine (Show Me Your Love)

2007 (easily the strongest year within the new century):
Austria (Get A Life - Get Alive) <- that scored the lowest out of both semi-finals, and it's a crime
Belgium (Love Power)
Finland (Leave Me Alone)
Georgia (Visionary Dream)
Moldova (Fight)
Netherlands (On Top of the World)
Romania (Liubi Liubi I Love You)
Ukraine (Dancing Lasha Tumbai) <- obligatory

2008:
Bosnia-Herzegovina (Pokusaj)
Bulgaria (DJ, Take Me Away)
Cyprus (Femme Fatale)
France (Divine)
United Kingdom (Even If) <- an utter crime this came in last
San Marino (Complice)
Turkey (Deli)

2009 (another strong year):
Andorra (La Teva Decisio)
Armenia (Jan-Jan)
Cyprus (Firefly)
Germany (Miss Kiss Kiss Bang)
Estonia (Rändajad)
France (Et s'il fallait le faire)
Ireland (Et Cetera)
Moldova (Hora din Moldova)
Serbia (Cipela) <- all live performances of this got copyright struck by YT :(
Sweden (La Voix)
Slovenia (Love Symphony)

2010:
Finland (Työlki ellää)
Ireland (It's For You) <- i just have a boner for Niamh Kavanagh sry :c
Iceland (Je Ne Sais Quoi)
Romania (Playing With Fire)
Slovakia (Horehronie) <- this was considered as one of the favourites that year but didn't even make it past the semis, which is criminal

2011:
Bosnia-Herzegovina (Love in Rewind)
Germany (Taken By A Stranger)
Italy (Madness of Love) <- the winner for me that year
Serbia (Caroban)

2012:
Bulgaria (Love Unlimited)
Finland (När Jag Blundar)
Italy (L'amore e femmina)
Russia (Party For Everybody) <- obligatory

2013:
Austria (Shine)
Finland (Marry Me)
Romania (It's My Life)

2014:
Austria (Rise Like A Phoenix) <- obligatory :p
Georgia (Three Minutes to Earth)
Italy (La Mia Città)
Lithuania (Attention)
Netherlands (Calm After the Storm)

Bonus Austrian entries:
2000 (All To You)
1999 (Reflection)
1997 (One Step)
1995 (Die Welt Dreht Sich Verkehrt)
1990 (Keine Mauern Mehr)
1971 (Musik)

Ikaran

Neo Member

Please that MUST happen. K-Pop was born for Eurovision.

By the way, I'm really happy for Finland not qualifying, they sent that terrible song (and I like punk) instead of the Bollywood inspired song. Just imagine this performance on a bigger stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol-YSsL6kYs

Enkidu

I believe it has already been decided that if Australia wins Germany will host it for them next year.

2011:
Bosnia-Herzegovina (Love in Rewind)
Germany (Taken By A Stranger)
Italy (Madness of Love) <- the winner for me that year
Serbia (Caroban)

2012:
Bulgaria (Love Unlimited)
Finland (När Jag Blundar)
Italy (L'amore e femmina)
Russia (Party For Everybody) <- obligatory

those years were my favorite. Love your choices, as I totally agree.
Love in rewind is still one of my all-time favorites. Madness of Love was also fantastic.

those years were my favorite. Love your choices, as I totally agree.
Love in rewind is still one of my all-time favorites. Madness of Love was also fantastic.

My faves are 2007 and 2009, but yeah, Madness of Love is easily in my top 5 of all time. :) And Love in Rewind was my #2 in 2011.

Our national TV sees into the future and they already posted that Slovenian entry is in the finals :D

Man someone is gong to have a lot of egg on their face if that turns out to be false.

Also does anyone have a link to the Youtube stream? I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom