• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

Zalusithix

That's certainly your prerogative, but, for me, I hope they try every possible combination of stuff now, and if stuff breaks, do what they need to in order to fix it. This is an alpha, this is the time to find out what works and doesn't work with actual people playing around with it, and to fix it so that it's ready for when the game is actually ready for an official release.

Things have broken numerous times already. Multiple voxel data losses, characters being spawned outside of the world, items going missing, etc. All things you can recover from.

Lose a character on the other hand, and there's no recovery if they don't have a way to restore it. There's no fast forwarding in the alpha, and thus you'd have to do everything over again - spending dozens of hours to get back to where you were. During this time you're not testing anything new as they haven't changed anything. On the contrary, you'd likely be unable to test the new stuff they'll be adding until you got back to where you were. (Good luck mining stuff in the T4+ zones when they're added with a beginner's pickaxe.)

Basically, a bug of that severity shouldn't be in the alpha (think pre-alpha), and they haven't provisioned alpha testers to deal with such cases. That's not to say it can't happen, but that's not the area that they're testing to "see what works and what doesn't".

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Our shit won't be carrying over to beta, besides the stuff we paid for and any templates. So I haven't cared much about progressing, mostly screwing around trying to learn tools, etc.

Zalusithix

Spoiler:
Everything's going to be gone in a month and a half anyway

Geeze, there are standards on what should and shouldn't be in an alpha now?

And when the alpha is done, you're no longer testing new stuff so that point is moot? From there it should be feature complete and the focus turns to squashing the remaining bugs and fine tuning things. The wipe ensures anything really screwy caused by the alpha isn't carried forward to the beta contaminating it so to speak. Even then, the character itself is preserved from alpha -> beta. It just gets reset. That's rather different from a random deletion in the middle of a testing period.

And yes, there are standards of what should be in an alpha. At least a paid alpha put out by a huge company that is on an aggressive track to beta and release. Code handling the existence of a character (which isn't tied to a server or zone) should be damn near bulletproof if you're opening to the public, and if it's not, you provide methods by which players can artificially advance to test all content until it is. (Otherwise the testers won't necessarily be able to test the actual game features due to being reset.) Given the lack of said methods being provided, SOE is obviously not expecting people to just randomly poof out of existence.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
3rd and final attempt at an Indigo pick, got a Legendary woot!

Nice size on it, can carve a tunnel like a drill with it :D

D3Ka5Ul.png

Zalusithix

3rd and final attempt at an Indigo pick, got a Legendary woot!

Nice size on it, can carve a tunnel like a drill with it :D

D3Ka5Ul.png

Congrats! I used mine to strip mine the side of an entire hill of it's stone for building (~140k stone) before it had a chance to regenerate. Have a screenshot of it on my computer at home.

One thing I can't wait for is for them to implement the hover device/accessory. It's a pain having to build scaffolding to get the right viewpoint to do something. Also, the template positioning should freeze after you start tweaking it with the mouse wheel. Can't move around the ghost piece to make sure it's in place correctly as it stands.

Now that some of the issues seem to have been fixed, I was considering picking up the alpha. I ostensibly have a 5 day weekend coming up (Let's go winter storm pax!) and I thought this might be a good way to fill my time.

I see a lot of people with desert or grassland claims. Are there snow areas? I prefer that kind of terrain in games.

Zalusithix

Now that some of the issues seem to have been fixed, I was considering picking up the alpha. I ostensibly have a 5 day weekend coming up (Let's go winter storm pax!) and I thought this might be a good way to fill my time.

I see a lot of people with desert or grassland claims. Are there snow areas? I prefer that kind of terrain in games.

Nope, no snow. No precipitation at all actually. Nothing liquid in the game yet. Right now you either make your home in the desert, in a mountain, or in the forest like area.

Pollux

I'm still confused at to what exactly Landmark is...is it like Minecraft where you go find resources and build a base while fighting off enemies?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
You need a Cobalt pick to make an Indigo one, how in the hell did you find that much sapphire?

A combination of sheer luck and dogged determination, I have so much Cobalt ore now I could probably make my whole house of it now :D

Also, the desert east of Blight nexus is so full of Cobalt that at least one in five of their veins ends in Sapphire, I've probably collected close to 400 Sapphire between Cobalt veins and my Tradesmans Sifter.

Zalusithix

You need a Cobalt pick to make an Indigo one, how in the hell did you find that much sapphire?
A combination of sheer luck and dogged determination, I have so much Cobalt ore now I could probably make my whole house of it now :D

Also, the desert east of Blight nexus is so full of Cobalt that at least one in five of their veins ends in Sapphire, I've probably collected close to 400 Sapphire between Cobalt veins and my Tradesmans Sifter.

The sapphire cobalt veins tend to be smaller specks on the surface that run deep and not larger, shallow surface runs. You can pretty safely ignore all the large ones and not waste your time looking.

Osiris

The sapphire cobalt veins tend to be smaller specks on the surface that run deep and not larger, shallow surface runs. You can pretty safely ignore all the large ones and not waste your time looking.

Unless of course you actually want Rubicite too, in which case just mine all of the things!

Effect

I'm still confused at to what exactly Landmark is...is it like Minecraft where you go find resources and build a base while fighting off enemies?

Pretty much. How you build things is far more robust compared to Minecraft however at it's core it's comparable to Minecraft but with the Everquest theme. I see some people in forums trying to do deny this for some reason but it is.

You have to mine all the resources you want to use. Build the devices needed to create different items with those resources. There will be monsters in the world that will possibly drop resources as well. After that is where things differ but that's pretty much the core of the game I feel.

There is no full creative mode where you have unlimited resources. It's not playable offline. You have to claim an area where you want to build which has buffer zone around it so you can place more claims to extend your building area and no one can build right next to you. Different areas you can travel to contains different resources and landscapes. The environment heals itself after you've mined an area. There will be underground areas you can discover (Minecraft is like that as well to a degree). When you build you aren't building with just blocks but have the ability to build items with angles or smooth them as well. Change their color, texture, etc. The entire game is using the building engine they're using to create the MMORPG Everquest Next so it's pretty detailed when it comes to about what you can do.

I put 75k Stone through someones sifter (I sure as hell aint going to grind out 100 Burled Wood Planks, are you f'ing nuts) and got 2 sapphire from it.

Trouble

Banned
They need a wood equivalent of the sifter. So much standard wood that I have no use for from farming burled wood.

OMG, yes. I was thinking about that when I was making 900 wood planks the other night to clear up inventory space.

At this rate, I'll have wood planks spilling over into inventory before too long.

Iadien

Servers are coming down at 4:30 PST for a patch, no known time for when they'll come back up.

Also, a livestream will start at 4 PST (3 hours from now) http://www.twitch.tv/eqnlandmark/

Apparently SOE will be streaming Landmark weekly from now on.

Osiris

Some of the stuff in that thread are EQN assets, so I wouldn't read too much into the data-mined stuff at the moment, as they are not necessarily going to be in EQN:L

Osiris

Judging by DG's last tweet, two of the fixes on tonights update:

• Indestructable / respawning Plant/Trees on claims fix
  • Evacuate to Safety fix

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Judging by DG's last tweet, two of the fixes on tonights update:

• Indestructable / respawning Plant/Trees on claims fix
  • Evacuate to Safety fix

Good! I had a massive tree which covered half my stick figure statue and had roots that somehow blocked both entrances to my living space in the base. (Actually pretty impressive fluke for a random respawn - think I'll grab a screenshot before I remove it)

Pollux

Pretty much. How you build things is far more robust compared to Minecraft however at it's core it's comparable to Minecraft but with the Everquest theme. I see some people in forums trying to do deny this for some reason but it is.

You have to mine all the resources you want to use. Build the devices needed to create different items with those resources. There will be monsters in the world that will possibly drop resources as well. After that is where things differ but that's pretty much the core of the game I feel.

There is no full creative mode where you have unlimited resources. It's not playable offline. You have to claim an area where you want to build which has buffer zone around it so you can place more claims to extend your building area and no one can build right next to you. Different areas you can travel to contains different resources and landscapes. The environment heals itself after you've mined an area. There will be underground areas you can discover (Minecraft is like that as well to a degree). When you build you aren't building with just blocks but have the ability to build items with angles or smooth them as well. Change their color, texture, etc. The entire game is using the building engine they're using to create the MMORPG Everquest Next so it's pretty detailed when it comes to about what you can do.
Damn, that sounds awesome. Makes me wish I had a PC haha

Zalusithix

OK, the give away codes for the "prime grappler" on that livestream were annoying. The chance of getting one fast enough was basically nil with the amount of people viewing (used almost instantly), and if you were trying to enter them, it was a distraction from what they were actually saying.

Next time I'll have to ignore the impulse to try the codes...

Trouble

Banned
OK, the give away codes for the "prime grappler" on that livestream were annoying. The chance of getting one fast enough was basically nil with the amount of people viewing (used almost instantly), and if you were trying to enter them, it was a distraction from what they were actually saying.

Next time I'll have to ignore the impulse to try the codes...

Yeah, no kidding.

I think I got one when Omeed posted several at once with no spaces. It took to a second page saying prime grappler, but I don't know if there is any way to verify I actually got it until the servers are back up.

Iadien

The grappler will be removed after Alpha anyway. Not worth trying to get one. =p

Patch notes

• Procedural props will no longer spawn on your claim. If they previously did, they will be removed and free you up to manipulate your claim appropriately!
• Fixed an exploit that would allow people to place props on other people’s claims and have them be “immune” to manipulation by the claim owner.
• Added 8 new props! Their recipes can be found on the Copper Reinforced Saw Table, the Tin Trimmed Work Bench and the Rubicite Trimmed Work Bench.
• Add 12 new materials to use when building! Sand, Stucco, Plaster and 9 different Sandstones are now usable in game!
• Fixed an issue with a tree that has been harvested would still be visible for a few seconds after the destruction happened.
• Fixed an issue that made the quantity arrows on the crafting or stack splitting windows difficult to click.
• Fixed an issue where your selected server could change while sitting on the character select screen.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when placing a claim.
• Fixed the “white box” issue when dragging items from window to window in the UI.
• Fixed an issue where the game settings window was too small by default and cutting off some of the sliders and options.
• Fixed a bug when strafing while running that could cause issues.
• The Trade window has gotten a facelift.
• Fixed an issue that could cause a template (or a paste) to come in to the world with the wrong rotation than the preview showed.
• Fixed a bug where the chat window wouldn’t auto-scroll to the bottom as things happened around you or chat came in.
• Fixed an issue on laptops with the intro movie being choppy.
• F1 should now open the start menu.
• ‘U’ should now properly open claim management.
• Fixed a problem with the Explorer and Trailblazer flag recipes showing up incorrectly.
• Fixed an issue where the inventory window would be behave differently if you closed it with escape versus closing it with the ‘I’ key.
• Changed the default screenshot folder from being EQNext to being EQNLandmark.
• Chat should now be colored appropriately for different types of messages.
• Fixed an issue that could cause some of the controls (rotate, scale, move) to stay in the world after you finished using different building tools or prop manipulation tools.
• Evac To Safety should work reliably now.
• Added stats to the upper left corner (with the framerate) to help diagnose issues some people are having with lag.
• We now stop a trade from going through if it would result in either player losing items. You now have to have enough open space in your inventory for the incoming items.
• You can now drop items on the tabs in the inventory to move them between your main and your collection inventory.
• Icons on the hotbar of items that you’ve consumed or moved to your void vault will now be inactive instead of disappearing.
• You should now only see the health bars of trees you’re currently harvesting.
• Added item quantity to the drag icon as you drag and drop stacks between windows.
• Adjust lighting so that it is consistent between islands and more consistent as the day progresses.

Zalusithix

Yeah, no kidding.

I think I got one when Omeed posted several at once with no spaces. It took to a second page saying prime grappler, but I don't know if there is any way to verify I actually got it until the servers are back up.

If you do get it, I'm curious as to where it falls in comparison to the ones we can build.

Trouble

Banned
• Fixed an issue that could cause some of the controls (rotate, scale, move) to stay in the world after you finished using different building tools or prop manipulation tools.

Nice, that was annoying.

If you do get it, I'm curious as to where it falls in comparison to the ones we can build.

I'll post a screengrab of the stats if I do get it.

Also, about a 1GB client update is up now.

Osiris

• Fixed an issue that could cause a template (or a paste) to come in to the world with the wrong rotation than the preview showed.

Cool, but I hope this includes the issue where a pasted item would randomly change it's placed axis a few minutes / a re-log after placing them.

I C&P'd a whole roof only to log on the next day only to find all my beams pointing the wrong way, which was annoying.

Overall some nice fixes... and... Stucco material, for my house, oh hell yeah, add some ebony wood and my mock tudor house is going to look awesome! :D

Iadien

"Well, it's pretty clear that the plants are NOT fixed. Disappointed. Working to resolve it now. Sorry, folks."

So I finally.. FINALLY get enough Sapphire to make my Cobalt pick, slap on my +10 crafting bracer and hit the craft button.

I eagerly await...

I see "You have received: [Cobalt Pick]" in the chat box... it's green.

I start to cry as I open my inventory... It's got a speed of 54.

I have a shit pickaxe.

At least I still have my Viridium Pick to mine too the stuff I need to get with the Cobalt one.

Now, where are those fucking Rubies?

Iadien

Sand was supposed to be in, they're looking into adding it tomorrow, and fixing the plants on claims issue.

Osiris

New addition to my house, a nice rounded top hand-rail / fence around the porch :)

C6q9UnV.png

Zalusithix

New addition to my house, a nice rounded top hand-rail / fence around the porch :)

C6q9UnV.png
Nice.

The smoothing tool and me don't get along well for small things... well make that most things. I find it hard to predict what the thing is going to do to a given set of blocks. What I want it to do isn't quite what it decides to do. Or I'll want to smooth one axis, but leave another axis alone which I can't seem to do. (Is there a trick to that or something?) To make matters worse, there's no un-smooth tool. Screw something up by going too far? Better have a copy of that, or be prepared to delete and manually recreate.

Trouble

Banned
Nice.

The smoothing tool and me don't get along well for small things... well make that most things. I find it hard to predict what the thing is going to do to a given set of blocks. What I want it to do isn't quite what it decides to do. Or I'll want to smooth one axis, but leave another axis alone which I can't seem to do. (Is there a trick to that or something?) To make matters worse, there's no un-smooth tool. Screw something up by going too far? Better have a copy of that, or be prepared to delete and manually recreate.

You know you can Ctrl-Z to undo, right?

Also Ctrl-Y to redo.

Zalusithix

You know you can Ctrl-Z to undo, right?

Also Ctrl-Y to redo.

Actually, I forgot Ctrl+Z existed for whatever reason. Now I feel like an idiot - especially having used Ctrl+C/V plenty of times lol. Does it have a history, or only undoes the very last action?

Osiris

Actually, I forgot Ctrl+Z existed for whatever reason. Now I feel like an idiot - especially having used Ctrl+C/V plenty of times lol. Does it have a history, or only undoes the very last action?

20 actions limit, and yes, it's a godsend when using the smooth tool.

My only tip for using it is remember the one voxel buffer for any edge you want to smooth, (i.e. an extra, empty voxel in the selection tool for any surface you want to smooth) this also means that you can control which parts are smoothed by not having a buffer for any side you want to remain sharp.

Also, you have to make the most of smooth via using the selection tool and copy & pasting, sometimes you can only get what you are after by making something bigger along an axis than you need, and then selecting/copying/pasting the section of the result you want.

Top Bottom