• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

terrisus

Just a warning (that should probably be added to the OP)

EQNL runs your CPU hot.

Like "benchmarking app" kinda hot, in fact I get peaks of 72 degrees C on two cores, about 2 degrees hotter than Prime95 reaches on my rig.

So if you're the type of person that benchmarks and overclocks to find your peak, and then allows some of that as typical benchmarking overkill and goes a bit further on your OC for typical gaming use, be warned.

Well, at least it's not just me.
I don't even have anything overclocked. But, it is a laptop.

Any tips on making sure that EQ doesn't set up its own campfire?

What are the minimum specs on this? I'm afraid my shitty computer won't run it. Which honestly has me considering an upgrade I want to play it so badly.

nataku

What are the minimum specs on this? I'm afraid my shitty computer won't run it. Which honestly has me considering an upgrade I want to play it so badly.

It's in the OP.

Minimum System Requirements:

OS – Windows 7 64 bit
Processor – Intel i5 Quad Core or higher / AMD Phenom II X4 or higher
Memory – 4GB RAM
Hard Drive – 20GB Free
Video Memory – 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card – nVidia GeForce GTX 275 series or higher / AMD HD 4890 or higher
Sound Card – DirectX compatible
Internet – Broadband (3Mbit/sec or higher)

Well, at least it's not just me.
I don't even have anything overclocked. But, it is a laptop.

Any tips on making sure that EQ doesn't set up its own campfire?

It's an optimization issue that's normally worked on before beta. The game seems to rely on the CPU a great deal, there's a fix out there for Nvidia cards that lessen how much it leans on the CPU, but that's just a band-aid.

terrisus

It's an optimization issue that's normally worked on before beta. The game seems to rely on the CPU a great deal, there's a fix out there for Nvidia cards that lessen how much it leans on the CPU, but that's just a band-aid.

Throttled my max CPU usage down to 70%, and it still was hitting 95C after 5 minutes or so of play (I'm sure it would have gone higher, but figured I'd just exit out then.
Since it didn't shut down, and is instead sitting here at normal use, a couple of minutes after exiting the game, it's at least down to 75C.

I probably should get a cooling/fan pad for this laptop anyway. But, otherwise, just going to have to wait it through I guess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are the servers up right now? I keep having my client crash and getting a browser tab opened displaying the Game Error G29 page. This typically happens when servers our down, but I want to make sure it's not something else.

Zalusithix

Are the servers up right now? I keep having my client crash and getting a browser tab opened displaying the Game Error G29 page. This typically happens when servers our down, but I want to make sure it's not something else.

Can't speak for then, but they're up now.

DrTeflon

So, uh, quick question guys.

I'm torn between buying that $60 dollar pack (which gives me alpha access) and Bravely Default.

So, right now I can craft stuff and create homes, am I correct?

You guys felt it was interesting enough to pour that much money? I'm this close to choose EQN Landmark.

I do enjoy minecraft and starbound, like, a lot.

terrisus

So, uh, quick question guys.

I'm torn between buying that $60 dollar pack (which gives me alpha access) and Bravely Default.

So, right now I can craft stuff and create homes, am I correct?

You guys felt it was interesting enough to pour that much money? I'm this close to choose EQN Landmark.

I do enjoy minecraft and starbound, like, a lot.

As much as I love EverQuest, if it's a choice between one or the other, get Bravely Default - and with the left-over money you can get the Settler Pack and get in for the Beta.

DrTeflon

As much as I love EverQuest, if it's a choice between one or the other, get Bravely Default - and with the left-over money you can get the Settler Pack and get in for the Beta.

Yeah, I know, but the other issue is. My girlfriend is playing a LOT of Harvest moon on my 3DS so I do know i'll get into "I wanna play 3DS right now" type of arguments with her hahaha so that's why I'm leaning toward Landmark.

terrisus

Yeah, I know, but the other issue is. My girlfriend is playing a LOT of Harvest moon on my 3DS so I do know i'll get into "I wanna play 3DS right now" type of arguments with her hahaha so that's why I'm leaning toward Landmark.

Well then, the decision is clear.

Get her a 3DS of her own so you can gets yours back
That's what I had to do for my wife, otherwise I could never see my system

Trouble

Banned
gad damn, this thing just tears the ground apart
I'd love to get my hands on a Legendary version of it

1YGHrl7.jpg

ThxT5k9.png

I guess it could have been worse.

Edit: Holy crap I need 3,000 burled wood for the cobalt saw table D:

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Been hard at work in EQNL over the weekend building some fun stuff...

First off, I rebuilt my Druid ring. It's much better than my previous one.

Then I built a giant plumbob with a rocket making it levitate - because why not?

Finally I built my own Plane of Fear portal - it only works in one direction. I'm going to build something around it and use it to trap noobs who don't know how to reset their characters, muhaha.

terrisus

I... Umm... Dug a hole in the ground!
Well... It was more of a passage really... Eventually it will be a really long passage!...

Yeah, I can't actually make anything.

CHC

I still just have a shed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uHFjUZ7jkM

Really,just a shed here, nothing to see

I actually watched the video just to see what a shed looked like in the game. I was waiting the whole time for you to open it and to see like a tiny bed or something cozy, which I was legitimately interested in. But when the "plot twist" happened I actually said out loud "that is so fucking cool", which I really never do when watching videos on my computer. Good one there

Firehead

I... Umm... Dug a hole in the ground!
Well... It was more of a passage really... Eventually it will be a really long passage!...

Yeah, I can't actually make anything.

You and I both. Just getting into the game today.

Tried Courage and it seemed the majority of the map had been claimed.

How are they balancing the whole claiming mechanic? And how are they balancing people digging up the whole map?

terrisus

You and I both. Just getting into the game today.

Tried Courage and it seemed the majority of the map had been claimed.

How are they balancing the whole claiming mechanic? And how are they balancing people digging up the whole map?

I did actually end up finding a nice claim spot.
I just really, really suck at doing anything actually creative.

It doesn't help that I'm still getting used to the mechanics of everything too.
But, at least I'm getting used to it in Alpha, and will hopefully be ready for when the game actually launches.

terrisus

I don't think I even have the creative ability to be able to steal something. That involves being able to visualize and recreate the steps of the creation process.

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here digging my grave.

nataku

Finally got around to playing this a little now that I upgraded to 8GB of RAM. The entire game runs a lot smoother now, much less stuttering and the complete pauses have been eliminated.

Took me a few hours to find a good claim, but I finally did. Now I gotta work on getting the tools built. I really wish that we could use our mining pick on our own claim. It'd be much easier to start out without tools that way. The basic shapes just don't give me the organic structures I want right now.

I understand how exploitable it would be and that's why we can't (mine -> heal tool, mine -> heal tool), but they could at least just make it so we just don't get materials or resources from mining on our own claim.

I've wanted to build a PC for a while now for an eventual Oculus Rift and for all the other obvious reasons, but this game is somehow tipping me from "wanting to do it" to "seriously considering it".

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Does anyone here have a 12-core CPU (6 + hyperthreading)? Wondering if landmark is using all 12. I noticed this was using up all 8 on my i7 2600k. Might be a good excuse to upgrade later.

nubbe

Does anyone here have a 12-core CPU (6 + hyperthreading)? Wondering if landmark is using all 12. I noticed this was using up all 8 on my i7 2600k. Might be a good excuse to upgrade later.

i7-3930k @ 4Ghz
32GB GDDR5

It uses about 18% and 4GB ram at max
Hope it will use more ram so it doesn't need to swap on the HDD

on the i5-2500k @ 4GHz it uses about 70-100%, depending on the scenery

Trouble

Banned
I've crafted all the highest level possible crafting stations until tier 4 worlds are added. Guess I'll be mostly improving upon my claim until such time. Gonna gather the rest of the alabaster I need for the next forge and what little obsidian I can find.

Getting the 100 burled wood planks for the tradesman sifter was brutal. Really doubt that was worth the effort.

Zalusithix

I've crafted all the highest level possible crafting stations until tier 4 worlds are added. Guess I'll be mostly improving upon my claim until such time. Gonna gather the rest of the alabaster I need for the next forge and what little obsidian I can find.

Getting the 100 burled wood planks for the tradesman sifter was brutal. Really doubt that was worth the effort.

I didn't even realize there was a higher end sifter. I'll have to look again tonight. I don't think I'll waste time getting 100 burled wood for it though. I barely use the sifter as is.

As for obsidian and alabaster, I'd have quite a bit of them if I wasn't using them in my claim. Sandstone staircases, obsidian trimwork, marble flooring, etc. I get tired of looking at nothing but standard stone. (Since I'm carved into a mountain side, woods just don't seem right for main building materials.)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I didn't even realize there was a higher end sifter. I'll have to look again tonight. I don't think I'll waste time getting 100 burled wood for it though. I barely use the sifter as is.

As for obsidian and alabaster, I'd have quite a bit of them if I wasn't using them in my claim. Sandstone staircases, obsidian trimwork, marble flooring, etc. I get tired of looking at nothing but standard stone. (Since I'm carved into a mountain side, woods just don't seem right for main building materials.)

You might reconsider when you realize that you can get Sapphire and Ruby from stone sifted out of it! :p

My run of "zero legendaries crafted" continues with my Indigo pick, still, not bad speed for a blue rare instead, my first blue indigo pick had a speed of 42!, it was painful to use :)

HN20teD.png

Zalusithix

You might reconsider when you realize that you can get Sapphire and Ruby from stone sifted out of it! :p

My run of "zero legendaries crafted" continues with my Indigo pick, still, not bad speed for a blue rare instead :)

HN20teD.png

You make a tempting proposition sir. Especially after wasting 100 rubies and sapphires on that one accessory that has no real description or icon (looks like a bag). Just got an item with a little bit of +Reach. With my indigo pick having a +27 Reach modifier, it was quite a waste of gems to say the least.

Also, I feel for you on the no legendary crafts, but at least the indigo picks seem to be decent in general. My cobalt was horrid - slow as molasses and a small size to boot. Perhaps you'll have better luck with the mithril attempt. That, and we'll all have to pray to the RNG again come beta, and then it'll really count since character progression will be saved.

I got a legendary on my first bronze pick. I am at work, but it's something like 120 size, 120 speed, 80 damage? Something like that. So fantastic for a bronze pick (so great for getting stone for walls!) but not great for anything above tier 1.

Zalusithix

I got a legendary on my first bronze pick. I am at work, but it's something like 120 size, 120 speed, 80 damage? Something like that. So fantastic for a bronze pick (so great for getting stone for walls!) but not great for anything above tier 1.

You say "first", but I honestly wouldn't put any effort in creating multiple picks (assuming that was your intention). Time and effort is better spent simply moving on until you hit indigo. Axes on the other hand....

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Yeah, this roof strut is getting templated, took ages to get right and get rid of any kinks in it!

j13Z4rO.jpg

And my house so far, had to delete my tower and start again, as it was too close to the claim boundary (I now know this is a bad thing!) and by the time I was gonna restart there was already too many towers, so a nice smaller, more manageable house is going up instead, the stone slab walls are a placeholder until I find a nice white material to use as a render instead.

rG79XAP.jpg

Zalusithix

... the stone slab walls are a placeholder until I find a nice white material to use as a render instead.

Marble in the general biome tile is very white if you don't mind the veins, likewise is alabaster (but much harder to find in large quantity). The processed forms, however, aren't very white for either. That said, nice house!

Zalusithix

Oh god, that server crash scared the hell out of me. Client randomly crashed as I was working on my entrance, and when I start the client up again it brings me to the character creation screen. Thankfully now it shows my character again with the message that servers aren't there.

I can take bugs, but if my char gets wiped in the middle of alpha, I'm not returning till beta lol... I don't have enough spare time to redo everything I have just to play with the next buggy thing they implement. ;)

terrisus

Oh god, that server crash scared the hell out of me. Client randomly crashed as I was working on my entrance, and when I start the client up again it brings me to the character creation screen. Thankfully now it shows my character again with the message that servers aren't there.

I can take bugs, but if my char gets wiped in the middle of alpha, I'm not returning till beta lol... I don't have enough spare time to redo everything I have just to play with the next buggy thing they implement. ;)

That's certainly your prerogative, but, for me, I hope they try every possible combination of stuff now, and if stuff breaks, do what they need to in order to fix it. This is an alpha, this is the time to find out what works and doesn't work with actual people playing around with it, and to fix it so that it's ready for when the game is actually ready for an official release.

RK9039

Awesome! Would be cool as hell to discover that while just running through a zone.

Ty ty, I deliberately made this fairly close to the map portal. There are quite a few people working on their stuff from where I am as well, so cool.

I plan on redoing my work though, I'm going to make it even bigger.

Top Bottom