• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EverQuest Next Landmark Alpha |OT| Settle in, Trailblazin' is afoot.

RK9039

I'm definitely going to need a grappling hook now, I used to get to my claim by floating over the mountainside, glad they fixed that.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
That theme on the character select screen completely caught me off guard. Forgot they were adding it. Nostalgia! Gahhhh

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That theme on the character select screen completely caught me off guard. Forgot they were adding it. Nostalgia! Gahhhh

Yeah. I was wondering why they didn't have it in game yet, considering they played it at the event last Friday. I saved the song from the event as an mp3 if anyone wants it.

Hurm. Crafting is straight up borked for me at the moment. Hitting the button does nothing. Guess I'll get back to testing tomorrow.

Iadien

So is this thing a game yet? Or is it basically MMO minecraft?

Thinking about dropping that $50...

if you're asking if it has combat, it doesn't yet. The game is considered around 60% complete by the devs. No water, combat, no tiers underground yet (all of the resources are on the surface currently, that will change when the tiers are added), game modes coming, etc. A lot of stuff will be added by closed beta, which is supposed to start no later than March 31st.

KaOTiK

Banned
Sapphire is the new burled wood.

Sapphire is just a bitch to get, at least getting the burled wood you know you got it from trees. Sapphire you are lucky if the cobalt node has it attached and not rubicite or even nothing in some cases. I've mined around 9000 cobalt ore and have gotten Sapphire nodes attached to it 6 freaking times....

Klyka

Banned
Hahahaha, awesome. Is the music that faded in an event you can create for when someone passes a certain point or enters a certain range or something?

The music was 100% random,it's just the normal background music! I loved that coincidence too :)

@Zefah I am on Courage - Ledge (Tier 2) in the top left desert area

K.Sabot

My suspicious looking bath house is coming along nicely. Absolutely 0 interior at this point, which I expect to be a maaaassive undertaking. I'd say the front outside is 90% done now, but I need to repaint certain wood once dark and red wood come out.

JFPmY7b.jpg

aiMLGE4.jpg

3Jnc7mI.jpg

It's really hard to get pictures of this thing because I put it on top of a ridge.

vilmer_

Dave Georgeson just posted this in Twitch chat:

Davegeorgeson: PvP? Oh hell yes. But there's so much to reveal there, I can't start now. But trust me on this...if you don't want to participate in the PvP, you do not have to. Many, many folks won't want to, and we recognize that. But for those that like PvP, it's going to be glorious. (I'm sorta biased, of course.)

K.Sabot

Apparently there will be some sort of "What we are working on, when it's coming out, and why" manifesto to drop in the next couple weeks.

nubbe

Not quite a survival game... but it could maybe evolve into a big playground

Like... Minecraft + Harvest Moon + Dragons Dogma

sct ‏@sctx Feb 7
@j_smedley My god if we get some sort of passive animals and farming/breeding/etc I dont think I would ever stop playing.

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley Feb 7
@sctx yes. yes. and more yes.

Iadien

Not quite a survival game... but it could maybe evolve into a big playground

Like... Minecraft + Harvest Moon + Dragons Dogma

There's still a lot left to be added to Landmark. Combat, PVP, NPCs, AI tools (creating quests, etc.) water, tiers in the earth, mounts, more in-depth crafting, etc.

shawnhi

Just got my tax return.... should I build a rig so I can play this? I was wayyyyy into the original everquest in my teen years (ended my time as a lvl56 warrior around velious). These days, my daughter loves minecraft, so I'm forced to play it for her and I've found some flashes of entertainment in it. So, should I do it? If I get alpha for landmark, do I also get into the real everquest next alpha/beta?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Everquest: Second Life

Really hoping they don't go this way. I don't think they will from looking at the list of stuff they want to add. I really hope it doesn't go too much into the minecraft mode either. Which again I don't think they will from looking at the list stuff not added yet.

Right now the game is in super easy mode. When they add monsters, move materials to other sections, and add all the other stuff they want it's gonna take longer to harvest material. Well, unless you pay for it.

The game is cool so far but there are a few things that really diminish the game for me personally. I'll write all that up eventually and post on the Alpha forums.

terrisus

Well, color me very surprised - it only took 3 days from us doing an electronic filing of our taxes, to us receiving our state tax return.
Still waiting on the federal return, but, the state return was the larger of the two anyway.

So, I purchased the Trailblazer Pack, and am currently installing it.
So excited!

terrisus

Probably already mentioned, but reading through the "Coming Soon" section in the FAQ:

"Underground Biomes – Underground is pretty much undeveloped right now. The caverns aren’t in and we haven’t separated the resources out into tiers of depth. That’s all coming soon and is in-progress."

Woo!

Trouble

Banned
Probably already mentioned, but reading through the "Coming Soon" section in the FAQ:

"Underground Biomes – Underground is pretty much undeveloped right now. The caverns aren’t in and we haven’t separated the resources out into tiers of depth. That’s all coming soon and is in-progress."

Woo!

The islands are 2 miles across and 1 mile deep. Think about that. The vast majority of every island is underground.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
My little chapel is starting to take shape, blocking it out with dirt, as it's quick to get hold of! :D

4QlLnRb.jpg

For scale:

tpVr8Bd.jpg

terrisus

Is anyone else getting a glitch where your character will start flickering up and down (kind of like you're jumping, but quicker and higher and just flicking back and forth without any animation) while trying to walk or run? Or is that just me?

Tried turning my settings to low, even though I know my computer can handle more than that, just in case that was any part of the issue, but it's still doing it.

Likewise, when I right-click my claim flag, on the map screen where I would move it around to try to place a claim, things move at a snails pace and I can't seem to move anything anywhere there either.

3rd Gen i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, geForce 650m 2GB

I probably should get registered for their Alpha forum.

The magic of getting your first blue pick, only to find out that its modifier is "Inferior".

mr-t-crying.gif

Is anyone else getting a glitch where your character will start flickering up and down (kind of like you're jumping, but quicker and higher and just flicking back and forth without any animation) while trying to walk or run? Or is that just me?

Tried turning my settings to low, even though I know my computer can handle more than that, just in case that was any part of the issue, but it's still doing it.

Likewise, when I right-click my claim flag, on the map screen where I would move it around to try to place a claim, things move at a snails pace and I can't seem to move anything anywhere there either.

3rd Gen i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, geForce 650m 2GB

I probably should get registered for their Alpha forum.

Nah, happens to me all the time. I find using the grappling hook a few times will correct it.

terrisus

Nah, happens to me all the time. I find using the grappling hook a few times will correct it.

Whereabouts do I find/get/craft/whatever a grappling hook?

Oh, and, I finally laid down a claim! And it's actually in a nice area too (grass, trees, etc.), as opposed to out in the desert at the edge of the map like I had been looking at first. Yay!

Zalusithix

Whereabouts do I find/get/craft/whatever a grappling hook?

Oh, and, I finally laid down a claim! And it's actually in a nice area too (grass, trees, etc.), as opposed to out in the desert at the edge of the map like I had been looking at first. Yay!

You make them at a forge, though I'm not sure if the stone forge can make the bronze one or not. That said, what you claimed happened to you tends to happen when the cogs are spinning at the bottom right of the screen in my experience. I think it's a processing thing, and nothing you can do will really speed it up. Just standing still will sort itself out eventually.

This may sound silly, but what does the "size" modifier do on a pick? The speed is obviously how fast it strikes, is the size how large of an area you are mining with each strike?

Zalusithix

This may sound silly, but what does the "size" modifier do on a pick? The speed is obviously how fast it strikes, is the size how large of an area you are mining with each strike?

Yep size is radius, and damage being how "deep" it goes.

Edit: Though damage decides how much of a chunk it takes out in one hit, reach is the ultimate limiter on how far away you can strike.

YuShtink

Just got my viridium pick. Today was the first time I really got to dig in (pardon the pun) for a few hours. Really starting to get hooked, and getting the hang of building. The smooth tool is godly.

Iadien

This usually happens because the server is trying to catch up to what you are doing. I think it has to do with internet speed. If you stop and let the area load for a few seconds, it goes away.

terrisus

This usually happens because the server is trying to catch up to what you are doing. I think it has to do with internet speed. If you stop and let the area load for a few seconds, it goes away.

Well, I mean, I have a 45Mb connection, would have thought I would've been alright. Granted it is wireless, but the router is only a few feet away. But, I suppose stuff like that can fluctuate. And, of course, it is just an alpha.

The other thing that's happened a couple of times over the past half hour or so, is that it keeps overheating my computer - even with all the graphics settings on low. My laptop under regular use (like right now with just a web browser open) usually sits at around 45C. However, like 3 times over the past half hour while playing EQ, it's pushed it over 100C, which trips the shutdown. So, it will shut down, cool itself down, and restart. Will be at 45C again, but then after 10 minutes or so it will be back at 100C and shut down again. No idea what's going on with that.

Bleh. I think that's enough for tonight. I'll poke around at it more tomorrow, and probably check out their forums and such too.

Iadien

Well, I mean, I have a 45Mb connection, would have thought I would've been alright. Granted it is wireless, but the router is only a few feet away. But, I suppose stuff like that can fluctuate. And, of course, it is just an alpha.

The other thing that's happened a couple of times over the past half hour or so, is that it keeps overheating my computer - even with all the graphics settings on low. My laptop under regular use (like right now with just a web browser open) usually sits at around 45C. However, like 3 times over the past half hour while playing EQ, it's pushed it over 100C, which trips the shutdown. So, it will shut down, cool itself down, and restart. Will be at 45C again, but then after 10 minutes or so it will be back at 100C and shut down again. No idea what's going on with that.

Bleh. I think that's enough for tonight. I'll poke around at it more tomorrow, and probably check out their forums and such too.

No, I meant you are getting ahead of the server, and the server is trying to catch up to what you are doing in the world. It's a problem on their end. I could be wrong about it being an internet speed issue, but that's what I have read is the problem.

As far as your laptop getting too hot, the devs haven't really optimized the game much yet.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just a warning (that should probably be added to the OP)

EQNL runs your CPU hot.

Like "benchmarking app" kinda hot, in fact I get peaks of 72 degrees C on two cores, about 2 degrees hotter than Prime95 reaches on my rig.

So if you're the type of person that benchmarks and overclocks to find your peak, and then allows some of that as typical benchmarking overkill and goes a bit further on your OC for typical gaming use, be warned.

Top Bottom