• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

So this is what they were more or less playing, as far as I remember, though a couple of them have other "mains" for sure. mew2king has a great marth under his belt, for example, Mango has a Jiggly (if I remember) and someone has a Young link to counterpick hungrybox. Or not. I'm frazzled haha.

MELEE TOP 8
Winners
Mew2King || Shiek
PP || Falco
Hungrybox || Jigglypuff
Wobbles || Ice Climbers

Losers
Mango || Fox
Armada || Peach
Ice || ??
Shroomed || Dr. Mario

Ice only goes Sheik to my knowledge, has no secondary (stealth edit: turns out I'm wrong and has a Marth). M2K has Marth as his secondary. Armada has Young Link for Jigglypuff (mainly Hungrybox), Hungrybox has a Ness (though I doubt he'll use it against Armada's YL like he tried to do at Apex 2013). Mango has Falco, Falcon, and Jigglypuff as his other characters. PP has Marth (though possibly not going to use him going by his performance with Falco today?) And Wobbles/Shroomed don't have any secondaries to my knowledge.

That should cover things.

Shimesaba

For someone who doesn't follow Melee, can you tell me a little about the notable players?

Is there someone who is favored to win heavily? Are there any unexpected new comers that qualified for Top 8? Anyone using a underused/underpowered character?

Any past rivalries between these players?

Thanks.

Melee's traditional Top 5 are Mango/Armada/PP/Hungrybox/Mew2King, but even then Hbox or M2K taking the tournament would be a big deal upset. Everyone there has a rivalry (and losing record) with Armada, but PP knocking him into Loser's bracket today is the first time Armada has not made it to Grand Finals in a tournament he attended in something like 3 years. Aside from that, Mango/PP and Mango/Hbox (one-directional, Mango hates Hbox) are smaller-scale rivalries, and Hbox took his first set off of PP in quite a while at a tournament last month.

Nobody in Top 8 is surprising short of Ice, who doesn't usually place quite this high at US majors. (He got an easy-ish bracket here.) That said, Mango and especially Armada being on the Loser's side are both upsets. No unexpected newcomers.

Characters are pretty standard stuff so far, we haven't seen any weird counterpicks. Wobbles with Ice Climbers is a bit more volatile than others because that character has an infinite grab which is legal under EVO rules.

Yea that's the only match streamed that I would qualify the closest as being an upset. Although it wasn't to some no name player (it was Jeo from Japan) and he wasn't randomed out, straight up out played 3-0 with KK making bad mistakes himself.

Also looks like they are switching streams, KOF is on the main stream now. Melee is finished, they have their top 8.

Cheers.

I don't consider that an upset. Jeo is a very good player.

Never heard of him, but will accept he is a good player. Still seems like a big upset though given last week!

Dahbomb

Pools ain't over yet but AE had way more good matches yesterday than what I've seen so far. From the top of my head: Itabashi/Wolfkrone - Arturo/Choi - Tokido/that good Guile player (forgot his name)

I expected that though since the tournament was way more stacked with internationals and all.
Marvel had the Mine vs Abegen match, HiIamNasty vs Disgruntled GOA and right now X Ray vs Steve. All down to the wire.

Honestly speaking this was a better than average Marvel pool showing. People just expecting big blow ups or upsets, people are just more solid now and it's hard for no names to random out top players.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't know Cannons put out an official statement for them fucking over 8AM pools.

What about the 8 AM players? Are you concerned about the inconsistency in the tournament format?

“Three out of five is what the players want. If we could have predicted the future, we would have gone for three out of five out of the gate. Unfortunately, we can’t go back and replay the 8am pools, but those guys each had a fair shake; they were all playing by the same rules. So we’re changing the rules, but we’re changing the rules for the better. We erred on the side of caution, but now we can run three out of five, so we’re doing it. It’s what the players want.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom