• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif

I tried to watch but I don't quite get it.
Is it the glitches/mechanics like wavedashing (I don't know what that even is) that make it exciting to watch? If I understood the mechanics could I enjoy it as a spectator?

I don't play SF but that's more traditional I guess so I know what is what
When I first started watching EVO (or competitive Melee at all for that matter), I didn't understand the mechanics of high level play even though I've played Melee since day 1. What makes it so exciting is what you see. The dashes, the shield uses, the juggles, the basics, all of it. There are so many ways to K.O. someone at various percentages that you never really know what surprises could come. I think it might take a few matches or tournaments while figuring out what all the techs are before it "clicks".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
you jump and then immediately air dash into the ground at an angle, so you slide backwards or forwards keeping the momentum of the airdash, without any recovery.

There is the normal landing recovery, and the jumpsquat at startup. So wavedashing isn't instant or "free," there is a frame commitment. It's small though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom