• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The arena is looking pretty full compared to the beginning of the tournament day with MKXL. Not quite packed, but still pretty good attendance it looks like.
It is pretty full in here. There are two upper bowl sections that only have a couple rows filled, and a few small pockets on the floor, but every other section has a decent number of people.

udivision

Not to sound ignorant since I only play SF but are smash matches largely spent on the ledge?

I think it depends on the game (which Smash) and characters, but sometimes that's just how a particular match goes.

It's pretty crazy how much of the game revolves around those mechanics, the implications of tweaking them between iterations of the game, and options you have from the ledge.

I guess it's a much more involved "wake up" state from Street Fighter or other fighters.

Hazzuh

One of the problem with Melee at these events are these sets in which A) It's obvious whose going to win, B) It'll still take 5+ minutes per game. Definitely one for the fans more than FGC peeps.

FZZ

Banned
Armada is actually playing out of his mind right now

He read 5 of Plup's movements consecutively

This is actually amazing Peach play fuck. Especially since Armada usually autopilot's it

MrCarter

One of the problem with Melee at these events are these sets in which A) It's obvious whose going to win, B) It'll still take 5+ minutes per game. Definitely one for the fans more than FGC peeps.

What I don't understand is why they just can't do 2/3 stocks per game? That being said, It's a great warm up for SFV though.

Hazzuh

What I don't understand is why they just can't do 2/3 stocks per game? That being said, It's a great warm up for SFV though.

Lots of TOs and stuff in the scene agree but players would never accept it. If Melee came out in 2013 or w/e it'd probably be 3 stock.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's because subsequent releases/prints of the game had changes. There's three different US versions of the game, for example (1.0, 1.1, and 1.2). PAL is essentially like a 1.3. It changed so much that the MUs between the top characters are way, way different and some characters are flat out worse (Ganondorf, for example).

Think of them like patches, they fixed glitches to specific characters right down to changing how early a move can KO to the damage they deal.
What changed about Ganondorf

EmiPrime

It's pretty standard for top 8 at least in Smash tournaments.

They've killed so much of the randomness and stage elements that make Smash unique which I could understand if the matches were short as being eliminated partly because of an invisible dice roll would be terrible but it seems unnecessary with so many rounds and stocks.

BO3 with 2 stocks should work too but it looks like I am kicking the hive with such talk.

Tripon

Wait there are differences between regions of Melee? What kind of sense does that even make?
It was before the era of online balance patches. Smash isn't the only one, Japanese companies have been doing it for years since development still occurs after the localization for a region.

Square-enix made a whole business model around it with releasing a domestic model for Japan, fixing bugs and errors, adding some content for the U.S. And Europe version, and then releasing it again as the international version again in Japan, sometimes with exclusive regional content that could only be played on the new version.

That was basically Kingdom Hearts Final Mix version and a number of Final Fantasies.

Revven

Because mistakes can happen that result in a complete loss of a stock which is completely unlike other fighting games that have health bars (barring Marvel). Not just bad decisions, but technical input mistakes such as wavelanding onto the stage incorrectly can lead to you losing your stock. Kind of like what you saw happen with Westballz's first stock vs S2J, he tried to waveland but instead held into the stage incorrectly and resulted in him airdodging into the edge and thus dying.

More stocks also leads to more time to adapt and comebacks to occur which happen incredibly often in Melee.

MechaX

The whole competitive Melee is made to rip your hands apart lol

I do remember reading awhile back that there were some anecdotes of some Smash players showing signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. I dunno if they were true at all, but it must be noted that Smash is very, very, very hand intensive with some characters (ie, Fox).

Unless you are a fucking factory worker, showing signs of carpal tunnel in your 20s-early 30s is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom