• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordy

Banned
Really wonder what that T7 announcement will be. I'm going to guess it'll be 2 new characters shown. Hopefully Lei Wulong and (literally) a brand new character.

Zackat

1c4.jpg

haha nice

When I first started watching EVO (or competitive Melee at all for that matter), I didn't understand the mechanics of high level play even though I've played Melee since day 1. What makes it so exciting is what you see. The dashes, the shield uses, the juggles, the basics, all of it. There are so many ways to K.O. someone at various percentages that you never really know what surprises could come. I think it might take a few matches or tournaments while figuring out what all the techs are before it "clicks".

Yeah, I guess so. I'm a very casual fighting game player but I love watching SF and KI. MK is decent to watch too but some games are difficult to "get" without playing or knowing the ins and outs of general play.

Thanks. So you can wavedash offensively or defensively then?

yeah, there's a bit of lag after you first do it then you're free to do other stuff. wavedash back to bait, wavedash forward as a bit of extra range, wavedash a ton if you're a character with low traction for whom it's the fastest movement option...

Why do you think you know better than the pros what's appropriate for deciding a winner?

Ignore those who aren't familiar with the tournament format for games they don't play, and who don't care to won't try to understand the game well enough.

It happens in every EVO thread when Smash is played.

The whole competitive Melee is made to rip your hands apart lol

We call it the Sakuraifice.

Yeah, I guess so. I'm a very casual fighting game player but I love watching SF and KI. MK is decent to watch too but some games are difficult to "get" without playing or knowing the ins and outs of general play.
Oh I know exactly what you mean. I play Smash a lot but I also consider myself pretty casual. This post might help too if you missed it:

Are you familiar with the basics of SF at least? This video may help you: The Street Fighter's Guide to Smash (Melee)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PPU brought it closer than I expected, Mango looking vulnerable though.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you watch during the stream, you can tell when they are wavedash when you see little puffs of white smoke as they slide across the ground.
They also appear when dashing, but the bigger puffs appear while wavedashing.

Hazzuh

Doing WFs before LQs is stupid. It means that the person in losers might have to play three sets in a row to reach GFs and the person in winners will be waiting around for ages. Not good for either player imo.

VariantX

The arena is looking pretty full compared to the beginning of the tournament day with MKXL. Not quite packed, but still pretty good attendance it looks like.

Wait there are differences between regions of Melee? What kind of sense does that even make?

i missed what they said. what was the quote? there are a few specific things. west coast and east coast of US have playstyle stereotypes. If they said "swedish foxes" then they're referencing armada and leffen specifically.

edit: oh it was ntsc vs pal? yeah the final balance patch was the EU disc release. NTSC discs just stayed on the patch before that forever so it's what all us tournaments use.

handwarmers are stupid. can't they get smash fluffers off stage or something

lots of smash fans agree with you, lol.

Not to sound ignorant since I only play SF but are smash matches largely spent on the ledge?

It can be. I guess matches with less brutal punish games would spend more time in neutral proportionally though.

Revven

Wait there are differences between regions of Melee? What kind of sense does that even make?

It's because subsequent releases/prints of the game had changes. There's three different US versions of the game, for example (1.0, 1.1, and 1.2). PAL is essentially like a 1.3. It changed so much that the MUs between the top characters are way, way different and some characters are flat out worse (Ganondorf, for example).

Think of them like patches, they fixed glitches to specific characters right down to changing how early a move can KO to the damage they deal.

PAL version was released later then NA/JP. So there is nerfs and balance changes to a few characters like Shiek, Marth, Fox, and Falco.

This explains it better:
It's because subsequent releases/prints of the game had changes. There's three different US versions of the game, for example (1.0, 1.1, and 1.2). PAL is essentially like a 1.3. It changed so much that the MUs between the top characters are way, way different and some characters are flat out worse (Ganondorf, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom