• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing that has always looked boring about this game is how it just looks like jumping around and fishing for hits. Fox just does the jump kick thing, Jigglypuff just does the jump spin kick thing. I KNOW there's a lot of skill going on there as far as movement it just doesn't look exciting.

Play the game and try to not fall in love. Seriously.

Melee is a ton of fun as a "party game", and the most mechanically deep game you will ever experiment in a "competitive fighting game" level.

Once the game clicks, it's pretty hard to not get involved with the matches, playstyles, depth and so on

Fitts

Seeing that Sony tube there makes me giggle.

It also makes me fucking pissed because I work in appliance/television installation and have carried a shit ton of those fuckers out of basements.

Ketch

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about Street Fighter.

I mean, isn't his comment addressed at a complaint that knows nothing about smash?

the whole elitist thing is such bullshit. It's okay to not like what other people like, just don't be a jerk about it.

emb

As a Smash 4 fan, I feel like Melee should be 3 stock. It takes too long as a 4 stock game imo
As a Melee fan, I agree. I also like keeping S4 and Brawl at 2 stock, 64 at 4 stock. Basically a stock cut across the board. Too much potential for games to get drawn out imo.

cordy

Banned
2hrs left to finish Smash and then some awards and also a Tekken announcement? Even if Smash is slow, I guess that's enough time.

Well, I hope lol.

MechaX

I don't understand why people can't understand it's spacing just like footsies in SFV.

Well, on one end, "footsies" is a nebulous concept for casual observers of fighting games in general. On another, Melee is a lot more fast paced with it comes to spacing than most other games, so I can see why some would be lost.

But on another subject, holy shit mango

ynthrepic

Banned
Always amusing seeing people who know nothing about melee commenting about how it plays.
Last time I introduced it to someone they took all 4 of their own stocks by falling off stage. Its technical to the point where pros who have played it for over a decade still lose by suiciding off stage going for optimal recoveries or flubs.

perhaps the mentality of someone thats used to digital inputs, and not an analogue, physics based game.

Makki

How is any of that more "boring" than moving back and forth and throwing out jabs and range moves in neutral in Street Fighter?

I think the biggest reason why people coming from other games see the Smash/Melee games as simple (boring?) games stems from the lack of depth of attacks themselves. Yes, there's a lot to perfect from positioning and reactions, but to the untrained eye you see spasmic movements and attack hits that look no different than "jabs" and follow up jabs to keep a juggle state or grabs. There isnt really a combo system, and that's what it probably comes down to when people get turned off by this style of game.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about Street Fighter.

The irony....

Look, Melee top 8 is the event right now. I definitely appreciate the people that legitimately curious about Melee right now, but I dn't know why you're posting on GAF about this if you're gonna shitpost like youre on 4chan

It gets sorta old, if you can see what I'm saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom