• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

bman94

Damn I just realize they budgeted 4 hours for Smash Wii U finals, it takes that long huh? Or breathing room for TV broadcasts? Perhaps a little bit of both?

Probably a bit of both. Smash matches are usually much longer than other fighting game matches.

Damn I just realize they budgeted 4 hours for Smash Wii U finals, it takes that long huh? Or breathing room for TV broadcasts? Perhaps a little bit of both?

Yes. Smash 4 at a high level can take a while.

Which is nice cause honestly even though I play it at an amateur level I don't enjoy watching it on stream so I'll use that time to relax and get food before SFV.

IronLich

That match was a heartbreaker for Dora. Good attempt to try and have some zone control with Mu, but there's only so much zone you can give up before the curse...

Infinite

If you payed attention to semifinals it was moving at a pretty brisk pace especially compared to the early meta

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Nap time!

I guess they are trying to have goodwill about what happened last year. It did get screwed in a lot of ways.

Revven

Buffer just in case. Ultimately, if certain characters got into Top 8 (such as Sonic) or other slower MUs then 4 hours wouldn't be impossible to happen but this Top 8 of players and characters is very unlikely to reach that full 4 hours. I think they're just being extra cautious for TV timing.

MSMrRound

How do you beat a vampire? Punch 'em.
Is punching not working? Then you're not punching hard enough.

DErSRxUVoAAZTfF.jpg

Buffer just in case. Ultimately, if certain characters got into Top 8 (such as Sonic) or other slower MUs then 4 hours wouldn't be impossible to happen but this Top 8 of players and characters is very unlikely to reach that full 4 hours. I think they're just being extra cautious for TV timing.
I mean, a Sonic did get in top 8, but KEN plays fast and very efficient.

Tripon

Yes. Smash 4 at a high level can take a while.

Which is nice cause honestly even though I play it at an amateur level I don't enjoy watching it on stream so I'll use that time to relax and get food before SFV.

Do the buffet at the Mandalay Bay, that's what I did during Melee finals. You can eat and think for 2 hours, get yourself as full as possible and then stake out a good seat for SFV finals if you're going to stay.

mas8705

Honestly, it's the best explanation I've seen outside of a possible announcement. If you're going to have an anime game, atleast have a poplar-with-Japan one.

And let's not forget that we are getting "EVO Japan" for a reason too. Definitely will be a hell of a show if we bring out the best of Japan into one place.

I don't get the complaints about Smash taking long. Nobody was complaining when KOF took nearly 4 hours without a bracket reset.

Are we talking Melee or Smash 4? Because if it is melee, it is the idea of how no one likes the tactic of "hug the ledge" since it is one part stall tactic, and another part "forcing someone to come to you."

Just chiming in to say I just caught the Infinite footage, game looks waaaay better...still not sold but it's a huge improvement, Jedah in particular looked savage.

bman94

BlazBlue looks so damn intimidating. So much shit is constantly going on. I took the time to learn Killer Instinct, MK/Injustice and SF but BlazBlue still continues to be a daunting task for me.

Finally finished catching up with the past maylay stream. I was just too tired yesterday to watch it all the way to the end. Not the best EVO for melee but still entertaining and it did have its moments. Tbh it doesn't get any closer to real life anime than this.

Gonna catch some sleep until sm4sh finals, since it'll be in the middle of the night over here. Don't wanna show up totally wasted at work tomorrow.

Top Bottom