• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

OSHAN

I'm surprised this game isn't selling that well on Amazon. PS4 version is #20, and X1 #22. Game came out today, right?

RS4-

Well that's pretty lame, if you take over a bot and complete the match, none of the damage done counts towards your progress.

edit - nm, or maybe because I don't have Kraken unlocked.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm surprised this game isn't selling that well on Amazon. PS4 version is #20, and X1 #22. Game came out today, right?

Public awareness seemed fairly low despite the game's numerous show awards. Perception of the game, regardless how one feels about the situation, is mostly negative. I'm not surprised that the game isn't really charting all that well.

I think the Beta could have used some more tastes of the additional modes. I tried the Defend mode and enjoyed myself a little bit more than I did on Hunt. It still feels a bit 'off' to me, so regardless of how much more I want to play I'm thankful I only paid $6.

OSHAN

Public awareness seemed fairly low despite the game's numerous show awards. Perception of the game, regardless how one feels about the situation, is mostly negative. I'm not surprised that the game isn't really charting all that well.

I actually thought it was high from the amount of awards this game received, but then again I don't recall seeing any commercials for it.

Skyzard

Banned
Well that's pretty lame, if you take over a bot and complete the match, none of the damage done counts towards your progress.

edit - nm, or maybe because I don't have Kraken unlocked.

I think it's a bug, ran into it once with character mastery giving +0, next time I took over a bot it was okay.

It is selling reasonably well. You gotta realize that 7 of the better selling things are online subscriptions and cards for PSN/Xbox-Live bucks
largely bought by foreigners in order to buy games online.
There are also a couple consoles above it, a free game, a couple controllers, etc.

I also think people are (justifiably) reluctant to buy games day one these days after the number of titles that have shipped with bugs lately (Battlefield4, AC: Unity, Halo MCC, etc.) so people tend to wait more for reviews.

CozMick

Banned
Did anyone on PS4, X1 or PC receive their pre-order dlc?

I know the Behemoth is a future release but I assumed the "savage skin pack" was available day one, yet I didnt get it.

jesus christ the steam reviews

BrkuTAS.jpg

took me by surprise

also thankfully i haven't played with a bad medic yet which wasn't a foregone conclusion considering the default med has a sniper and we all know how people playing this class are all upstanding team players

Negative reviews or not there are 21,011 in-game currently on Steam. It's also the current top seller. Doesn't seem too shabby.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn, Lazarus is so fun. Even when I play with teammates that revive eachother instead of letting me get them. :<

Did anyone on PS4, X1 or PC receive their pre-order dlc?

I know the Behemoth is a future release but I assumed the "savage skin pack" was available day one, yet I didnt get it.

It's just for the goliath. But it's the same code as the one that gives Behemoth.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
God damn, Lazarus is so fun. Even when I play with teammates that revive eachother instead of letting me get them. :<
Yeah :/

I wanted to like Val, and I still love the tranq gun, but the fact that people can't aim for SHIT makes her sniper rifle worthless most of the time.

Lazarus' cloak, revive, spray/per rifle kit is just too versatile. No strikes is such a big deal too.

I actually thought it was high from the amount of awards this game received, but then again I don't recall seeing any commercials for it.

No one but enthusiasts pay attention to those, as they're the only ones paying attention to the events. The same people that may or may not be taking issues due to the FUD and legitimate issues with the DLC.

There's been plenty of commercials on the usual networks (Spike, AMC, Comedy Central, Scyfy), but the main one they've been showing is pretty damn awful that doesn't say anything about the game to someone who isn't already familiar with it. The other one that was mostly game footage/cgi was better, but I think I've only seen that once and haven't heard or seen anything else about it from anyone.

...Really wish I could have picked up the game. Everyone here seems to be having a lot of fun.

Klyka

Banned
Just finished my first Evacuation campaign with a friend of mine and Skyzard who joined in towards the end :D
We had to play with 2 bots, but man I did NOT expect the monster AI to be this damn fierce. We won the first hunt but then played a round of nest. The AI Goliath immediately hatched an egg and went straight for us with his minion. He caught me (the medic) totally out of nowhere and obliterated our team in less than a minute. Completely dominated by an AI, geez!

It's quite fun to hunt AI with a friend though, cause you have the handicap of having two semi-useful bots with you and the monsters can definitely be on point,especially when you give them a harder difficulty in custom game.

And talking about custom game,I had NO IDEA how many settings you have! all the maps have tons of modifiers and you can change the weather and amount of strikes and so on. It's really cool, especially for people who want to play with specific rules and such.

Klyka

Banned
Well since we PC players can't play, how about a little round of "give your verdict after day 1"?

My verdict: Fun and worth my time and money.

BurningNad

Well since we PC players can't play, how about a little round of "give your verdict after day 1"?

My verdict: Fun and worth my time and money.

I wholeheartedly concur. Intense fights, solo or with friends (played with some gaffers, had great games). I'm very happy with this and can't wait for more!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah :/

I wanted to like Val, and I still love the tranq gun, but the fact that people can't aim for SHIT makes her sniper rifle worthless most of the time.

Lazarus' cloak, revive, spray/per rifle kit is just too versatile. No strikes is such a big deal too.

Yeah, I mainly use her for the tranq more than anything else. Though certain hunters work really well with it. I think Val, Cabot and Griffin would be solid. Damage amp/railgun, weapoints, and griffin's smg is really accurate. Not sure who would be the best assault to take advantage of weakpoints though, Hyde's minigun is super innaccurate which works better with Laz and I haven't played Parnell at all. Markov generally doesn't seem to use his gun that much.

I just unlocked Caira so I'll give her a whirl.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I mainly use her for the tranq more than anything else. Though certain hunters work really well with it. I think Val, Cabot and Griffin would be solid. Damage amp, weapoints, and griffin's smg is really accurate. Not sure who would be the best assault to take advantage of weakpoints though, Hyde's minigun is super innaccurate which works better with Laz and I haven't played Parnell at all. Markov generally doesn't seem to use his gun that much.

I just unlocked Caira so I'll give her a whirl.

Believe it or not but the lightning gun actually uses weakpoints!

thebloo

jesus christ the steam reviews

BrkuTAS.jpg

took me by surprise

also thankfully i haven't played with a bad medic yet which wasn't a foregone conclusion considering the default med has a sniper and we all know how people playing this class are all upstanding team players

Most reviews are "yes, I bought it and yes, I love it, but you shouldn't because it has bad DLC"... People are just weird.

Just finished my first Evacuation campaign with a friend of mine and Skyzard who joined in towards the end :D
We had to play with 2 bots, but man I did NOT expect the monster AI to be this damn fierce. We won the first hunt but then played a round of nest. The AI Goliath immediately hatched an egg and went straight for us with his minion. He caught me (the medic) totally out of nowhere and obliterated our team in less than a minute. Completely dominated by an AI, geez!

It's quite fun to hunt AI with a friend though, cause you have the handicap of having two semi-useful bots with you and the monsters can definitely be on point,especially when you give them a harder difficulty in custom game.

And talking about custom game,I had NO IDEA how many settings you have! all the maps have tons of modifiers and you can change the weather and amount of strikes and so on. It's really cool, especially for people who want to play with specific rules and such.

Yeah the monster AI is crazy. The one evacuation I've played through the AI monster was a Wraith and it ended us twice. It was terrifying, especially because I had yet to see that monster in action. I was actually trying to see if I'd accidentally selected PvP because the monster was so brutal.

Dex815

Most reviews are "yes, I bought it and yes, I love it, but you shouldn't because it has bad DLC"... People are just weird.

Most of those don't even have the game, they just played the alpha/beta and as it was in the library they can rate the game. Valve should change that...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah the monster AI is crazy. The one evacuation I've played through the AI monster was a Wraith and it ended us twice. It was terrifying, especially because I had yet to see that monster in action. I was actually trying to see if I'd accidentally selected PvP because the monster was so brutal.

Yeah, the Monster AI is scary good. Better than the majority of the players right now tbh

BokehKing

Banned
I think the problem was, the game was getting all these accolades and no one seemed to understand why they were.

gossi

The teammate AI is surprisingly great, too. The game glitched on me today, leaving me stuck spectating the AI - I'd say it was better than a majority of the human players I've played with today. For example, the media grouped with people and healed incredibly well. Also the trapper did stunning work with the traps, laying them out properly and evenly, with tatics too.

Just played my first game of Evacuation. I enjoy the mode and the modifiers are pretty cool but I'm in a bit of a weird place with it. We were beating our monster opponent pretty handily and didn't really need a lot of the modifiers, but when it came to the defend mission, he beat us. I don't know yet if that's because we weren't playing it correctly or if the huge damage handicap just wiped us.

I'll give it some more time to get a feel for it. Either way, the big experience bonus at the end is nice.

cakely

Multiplayer-only game. New IP.

Titanfall did as well as it did because it was the first big "exclusive" sci-fi shooter on the Xbox One.

Evolve doesn't have that going for it.

akileese

XBL Gamertag: Akileesedos

Trying to get some games in but match making is taking forever and it seems like I can't seem to get into a match.

RS4-

Good glitch, three people in the game can't even select a bot to control. Can't even bring up the menu, we're all just spectating.

edit - apparently I was supposed to be the monster, it gave me XP, progression, etc.

my steam profile

Ravijn

The dynamic campaign mode is hands down the best way to play the game.

Its freaking awesome

Yeppers. I just started playing it today after work in solo mode to unlock all the characters to decide which ones I like the best or fit my play style.

I'm really enjoying this game much for than I expected.

Top Bottom