• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
We played about 5-6 matches and only won once. Now I myself haven't played a real match before and playing Medic might have dragged the team down, but I felt like the Kraken/Wraith are both too strong.

Kraken has some insane damage and it flying around makes it insanely hard for people to get a shot on it. It doesn't help that all of the maps have a ton of trees and brush which the Kraken can easily hide around. Wraith isn't nearly as bad, but stills feel difficult to take down easily. It gets really hectic when it's warping all around you.

I'm kind of disappointed that the Kraken still appears to be really strong because he was also beefed up in the Beta and I guess they never did anything about it.

Kraken is a chump if you tie him down n an area that doesn't suit him completely. If you don't or can't though? lol ur gonna get rekt

Also, Monsters in general only need a small opening to turn the tide and fuck up your whole team. That's the tradeoff to playing on the run for the majority of the game.

My experience with the beta was annoyingly binary:

Either the Hunter team was competent and would cut the map in half and make sure they cut the monster off for the easy win, or the Hunter team was incompetent and would chase the Monster around the map for 15 minutes then get destroyed once the monster reached level 3.

Most of the time it would be the later.

Very little variance in outcomes though.

Was this fixed at all in release?

minx

Abe is amazing against the Kraken, damn. Guy's early game and general tracking is struggle as hell but the moment you find him he won't get away. Literally just chased one when a dome came down, pelting him with stasis grenades and following until the mobile arena actually recharged again. Keeps him grounded and unable to do much.

If you have Val with the tranq and Abe with the Harpoon working together the monster literally won't be able to escape from you. Abe is crucial against the Kraken.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
My experience with the beta was annoyingly binary:

Either the Hunter team was competent and would cut the map in half and make sure they cut the monster off for the easy win, or the Hunter team was incompetent and would chase the Monster around the map for 15 minutes then get destroyed once the monster reached level 3.

Most of the time it would be the later.

Very little variance in outcomes though.

Was this fixed at all in release?

I had a lot of close matches in the Beta, but they have made changes to give the Hunters more of an edge and nerfed some of the monster's more OP abilities.

X1 players hit me up, GT: Nightmare22m

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If you have Val with the tranq and Abe with the Harpoon working together the monster literally won't be able to escape from you. Abe is crucial against the Kraken.

Absolutely agree. Fighting against the Kraken with Laz made me realize just how important the Tranq is. Makes it hard to level as Val because you'll spend more time holding that than the Sniper Rifle by far but its outright necessary to have some sort of control to use.

I wanted to pick this game up, due to work it fell off my radar. Now after looking up the DLC situation I won't even bother, shit business practice.

I wanted to pick this game up, due to work it fell off my radar. Now after looking up the DLC situation I won't even bother, shit business practice.
It really isn't that big of a deal. I mean them charging for cosmetic items that nobody needs to buy and in return giving everybody free maps seems like a better deal than what most games offer.

Hell games like Call of Duty and Battlefield charge even more money for maps, weapons and all kinds of crap, but nobody seems to be outraged at that anymore.

-Deimos

It really isn't that big of a deal. I mean them charging for cosmetic items that nobody needs to buy and in return giving everybody free maps seems like a better deal than what most games offer.

Hell games like Call of Duty and Battlefield charge even more money for maps, weapons and all kinds of crap, but nobody seems to be outraged at that anymore.
$15 monster is ridiculous though.

$15 monster is ridiculous though.
It's possible they'll change the pricing based off of feedback, but I mean you do get the Monster free if you preordered the game which didn't cost anything extra.

I agree $15 per Monster is expensive, but they have to make their money somewhere and I think giving everybody free maps/modes and working off of Skins/Characters for money is fine.

Skyzard

Banned
I like that there is planned DLC and free maps to extend the game's life but I agree $15 is not fair pricing for a monster, same with $7.50/hunter.

$5 and $3 would be fine, as it is it's too greedy and puts people off, even if they plan to have sales later or whatever.

The base game content seems fairly respectable at least for a multiplayer game with good gameplay.

Bond007

Played about an hours worth but damn this game is hard.
Just feels like madness around me.

I liked what i played and guess i need to get a hang of things

Mask

Anybody else get this for £31 from Rakuten? Anyone get their Monster Expansion Pass yet?

Got my dispatch email on Monday, and hopefully it'll show up today, but no email or anything about the pass yet. I'm wondering if some of the copies have the pass in the case itself.

Dr.Cornwallis

Neo Member
Who cares if the DLC pricing system is flawed?

You know that shit is optional to buy, right?

I'm really enjoying the gameplay mechanics of the game thus far.

minx

Played against the Wraith again with a full party. Had Caira, Bucket, Abe, and Markov and we had it tracked almost the entire match and still could barely catch up with it with speed boost. Once we finally did catch up it would just warp around the dome and send decoys. I haven't faced the Wraith many times yet but like I said earlier it's simply not a fun monster to fight. The design of the monster is simply frustrating.

-Deimos

It's possible they'll change the pricing based off of feedback, but I mean you do get the Monster free if you preordered the game which didn't cost anything extra.

I agree $15 per Monster is expensive, but they have to make their money somewhere and I think giving everybody free maps/modes and working off of Skins/Characters for money is fine.

They're making their money from the full AAA $60 price tag. Charging $15 for a fraction of all future DLC is shady as hell.

They can make plenty with lower prices. Free content is no excuse. Given what was said with the astroturfing A.I. developer in one of the initial DLC threads, they felt they could get away with LoL character prices in a $60 game.

While it's perfectly reasonable to sell DLC, it can make them more by making it attractive for people to purchase. Higher cost=less willing customers. There is no excuse with what's going on here.

Officially addicted.

First multiplayer game since Left 4 Dead I've had any interest in playing more than an hour of. Good to have you back, Turtle Rock.

Is anyone else having trouble with Evacuation matchmaking? It keeps loading and then boots me out saying my connection to the previous session has been lost.

And just now starred it in skirmish MM too. Same message from the alpha and big beta.

CzarTim

In the beta I had my role preference set with monster in last and never played it once, in the actual release I have my preferences set the same exact way and I swear it has made me play the monster more than hunters. This is killing my enjoyment of the game to the point where I just want to stop playing entirely. I'm not good as monster, I don't have fun playing it, and I'd literally rather sit in matchmaking for five extra minutes to skip it.

So. Screw the wraith. It is my least favorite monster to fight by far.

When it disappears is there a way to help find where it went? Me and my friend were playing all night and the wraith almost seems overpowered with its movement. Especially if you have a bonehead on your team (it only takes one)

Semper88

So I've played a few hours yesterday and its a blast! My buddys bought it out of the blue so playing with voip improves this game alot.

I have been playing Bucket the most, his go go gadget UAV head is awesome for spotting and tagging the monster en the rocketlauncher is great vs armor (if you manage to hit).

Also met alot of monsters that got no clue and just run away from everyone that they encounter even at Lvl 3.

And lol @ wildlife eating random members haha.

deoee

I'm having so much fun with this Baby. It's really refreshing having to watch your surroundings and I absolutely love the hunters variety.

The cursor bug is a bit annoying tho and in some rare cases the matchmaking does funny stuff.

9/10 would Evolve again

Durden77

Lé Blade Runner;151566305 said:
I can't decide between the PS4 and PC versions...

I went with PC and I'm glad I did. Pretty much everyone I've played with that talked were cooperative and cool. And yeah it'll last longer most likely.

Semper88

Why oh why isn't this game cross platform.. i can't see the huge advantage of PC players here. its not like your are aiming on small head or something.

Anyone else feels this way?

Klyka

Banned
Why oh why isn't this game cross platform.. i can't see the huge advantage of PC players here. its not like your are aiming on small head or something.

Anyone else feels this way?

Well technically we can turn around quicker, aim our skills faster and more precise and you DO get double damage for headshots.

So....

Wookieomg

So I'm on the fence about picking this up. Been watching streams and it looks pretty sweet but I'm just worried about the longevity of a game like this. Can anyone convince me one way or another?

Semper88

Well technically we can turn around quicker, aim our skills faster and more precise and you DO get double damage for headshots.

So....

That is true, but its not like I've been having alot of trouble aiming.

Would be fun and it might make the longevity better (IF this will be a problem).

Also on the fence about the € 25,- season pass... should i get it?

Klyka

Banned
So I'm on the fence about picking this up. Been watching streams and it looks pretty sweet but I'm just worried about the longevity of a game like this. Can anyone convince me one way or another?

I'll be brutally honest: The game has been out for two days, so none of us have any idea about longevity. We might all be loving it right now and then by the weekend go "ok it's old,bye".

No one can really tell yet.

Circinae

Neo Member
Played a couple of Evacuation matches last night and I have to say, it was extremely fun. There is a great sense of adapting to each team's behaviour, especially if, like me, you manage to stay faced against the same four hunter players for the duration.

Both sides of it were very enjoyable, but there is something special about five consecutive matches as a hunted beast. I actually (incoming pun) evolved my game style throughout the duration of the rounds, to the point where the hunters feared me. They ultimately won in a down to the wire battle, it was great.

A quick bit of info on DLC and stuff. As you would expect, I recommend sticking with the standard version of the game if you are interested. I was generously gifted the MR edition and beyond the season pass, you don't currently seem to get anything extra so there is no real reason to down pay for things not released yet.

Pricing-wise, I personally think it very much worth the asking price without any of the bells and whistles, but this is from a PC perspective. I think the current console game prices are absolutely absurd, so I can't advise on that front as I believe every game is over priced. Early in the thread, I mentioned that the DLC wasn't on the Steam store page, but this only seemed to be the case just after launch and they are now listed as you would expect. So, for PC players on the fence, we can safely assume the DLC will be discounted in future sale.

One more thing about the future DLC as I understand it. Characters and monsters must be purchased, but can be played against by all. In solo mode for example, you can choose to face against AI playing classes and monsters you don't own. In a multi-player match, the same rules apply and I also believe that if a player were to choose the Behemoth, leave the game once it has started and another player joins to take over the role, they will be able to play as the beast even if they don't own the DLC. This is the way we have been lead to believe it works in any event.

Klyka

Banned
A quick bit of info on DLC and stuff. As you would expect, I recommend sticking with the standard version of the game if you are interested. I was generously gifted the MR edition and beyond the season pass, you don't currently seem to get anything extra so there is no real reason to down pay for things not released yet.

Pricing-wise, I personally think it very much worth the asking price without any of the bells and whistles, but this is from a PC perspective. I think the current console game prices are absolutely absurd, so I can't advise on that front as I believe every game is over priced. Early in the thread, I mentioned that the DLC wasn't on the Steam store page, but this only seemed to be the case just after launch and they are now listed as you would expect. So, for PC players on the fence, we can safely assume the DLC will be discounted in sale sin the future.

One more thing about the future DLC as I understand it. Characters and monsters must be purchased, but can be played against by all. In solo mode for example, you can choose to face against AI playing classes and monsters you don't own. In a multi-player match, the same rules apply and I also believe that if a player were to choose the Behemoth, leave the game once it has started and another player joins to take over the role, they will be able to play as the beast even if they don't own the DLC. This is the way we have been lead to believe it works in any event.

As far as I understood it, this is the case.
If you play with DLC hunters and its a bot or the person who played them leaves, you can switch over to them and play the DLC hunter. The same in solo mode.

CzarTim

I just played the best game as Bucket. Monster was stage 2, and my team wiped. I jumped up to a bridge, threw down some sentries, and lured him up there before cloaking and running away. He took some damage before giving up the search. Monster then decided to evolve, but I was right there laying into the fool in his cocoon. Reinforcements drop and we engage in another fight, this time leaving the monster with only one health bar before my team wipes again. Just Daisy and I left, and I barely have any health plus my cloak is on cooldown. So what do I do? Throw some sentries down and hide behind a rock. The monster started attacking Daisy, oblivious to the sentry fire. Hunters win! Cravenness saves the day.

Klyka

Banned
Geez, having phantoms on the map is NOT a fun thing for the hunters. Damn things are everywhere and are super nasty.

Also, anyone of you hunted in a jungle during a rain storm yet? Awesome.

deoee

Yes the weather is sooo good :D

I really love the storms.

Post more stories, I cant play right now and need stuff to read ;_;

Klyka

Banned
Was hunting a Wraith on Aviary. We find her in jungle area and manage to get a dome off. She decoys, we quickly get rid of it and look for her. I jump on top of a little rock,barely higher than a hunter. I look to my lower left and the Wraith is just crouching there.
I look at her. She looks at me. I tranquilize her and barely dodge her super nova attack as the team rallies around we we go full dps on her.

Man, that was freaky having the thing directly next to you just hiding there.

Daigoro

how do you switch to bots if someone drops? (on console).

a friend got booted from the game yesterday and i somehow swapped to a character that i never used before. as soon as i started getting used to the new character it auto swapped me back to my original character (at a really inopportune time i might add). so there is a time limit when you switch or what? is there some kind of cooldown on swapping to bots?

any info on this would be appreciated. thanks.

Klyka

Banned
how do you switch to bots if someone drops? (on console).

a friend got booted from the game yesterday and i somehow swapped to a character that i never used before. as soon as i started getting used to the new character it auto swapped me back to my original character (at a really inopportune time i might add). so there is a time limit when you switch or what? is there some kind of cooldown on swapping to bots?

any info on this would be appreciated. thanks.

In the bottom left it shows you the 4 hunters and should show the associated buttons with them. Probably like the dpad or something?

And no,there is no cooldown in switching or anything. But if someone new joins the game they will take the character that was originally abandoned, not the one you left open by switching.

Bru

Loving the game so far. Had some incredibly tense games against Wraith players last night, once you learn to recognise, eliminate or just plain ignore the decoy you can really put the hurt down.

Abe is definitely my favourite Trapper, it can be a pain to locate the monster at first and you lose Daisy as an extra reviver but once that initial tracking dart hits home the chase is on.

Knowing that the Mobile Arena has a radius of 60 metres, takes four seconds to activate once launched and comes down ten seconds after the trapper says it's failing comes in very handy!

Klyka

Banned
Loving the game so far. Had some incredibly tense games against Wraith players last night, once you learn to recognise, eliminate or just plain ignore the decoy you can really put the hurt down.

Abe is definitely my favourite Trapper, it can be a pain to locate the monster at first and you lose Daisy as an extra reviver but once that initial tracking dart hits home the chase is on.

Knowing that the Mobile Arena has a radius of 60 metres, takes four seconds to activate once launched and comes down ten seconds after the trapper says it's failing comes in very handy!

What's a good way to quickly tell which one is the decoy?

Top Bottom