• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How does the gameplay feel? Are the guns satisfying to shoot?

I'm not sure how to answer this question lol

the gameplay feels old school in a good way. it doesn't fall into the category of any of the recent online focused MP experiences. the game feels like a quake 2 mod imo - which is fucking awesome for people like me.

every kit is very distinct though. if that's what you mean

SliChillax

I'm not sure how to answer this question lol

the gameplay feels old school in a good way. it doesn't fall into the category of any of the recent online focused MP experiences. the game feels like a quake 2 mod imo - which is fucking awesome for people like me.

every kit is very distinct though. if that's what you mean
Yeah you answered my question correctly. I was afraid the game would feel like Crysis 3 since it's using Cryengine and I really hated the gunplay in Crysis.

Ravijn

How does the gameplay feel? Are the guns satisfying to shoot?

It can be very fast paced or it can be slow and tactical. Depends on how the match is going. It's VERY hectic when you get the monster in the mobile arena. That's when the shit hits the fan.... in a good way. :)

I haven't played through all the characters yet to unlock them but I can tell you from unlocking all 3 medics that the guns on each are very different and all have a different play style. Sniper rifle that exposes weak spots where you hit it, Silenced sniper rifle that is semi-automatic and a napalm grenade launcher.

The guided rockets that Bucket has are interesting. He's support.

Yeah you answered my question correctly. I was afraid the game would feel like Crysis 3 since it's using Cryengine and I really hated the gunplay in Crysis.

It doesn't feel like Crysis to me. It is a lot more responsive.

bounchfx

so far there is so much I don't really like about this game. It's gorgeous, but like damn. Bugs. My cursor disappears within 5 minutes every time I try to play. It forces videos on me that I can't skip out of nowhere... I'm trying to go to the main menu, and instead, it makes me watch a video of the goliath. Out of nowhere. So I can't skip the starting 5 videos, and then it makes me watch a 2 minute one before I even see the menu.

and the gameplay can be fun, but the "chase" part of the gameplay is probably the most bored I have ever been in a shooter.

I'm going to play it more and hope I warm up to it but right now it's like... I don't know.

VEILSIX

Neo Member
Is anyone else stuck on an incredibly slow installation/download?

Im going on an hour almost on my Xbox One and am at 10%. Never had one this bad.

Does anyone want to play Coop on PS4? I'll be on for the next few hours if anyone wants to?

PSN LordCastamere

They undersold the single player/Coop it's really fun.

Is anyone else stuck on an incredibly slow installation/download?

Im going on an hour almost on my Xbox One and am at 10%. Never had one this bad.
Doesn't the Xbox One install patches alongside the game installs? It's possible it's taking longer since the game had a pretty big day one patch.

Kolgar

Got the game on X1 and playing solo until I learn the ropes. Game is surprisingly deep with the different classes and loadouts, and the mechanics--dodging, jetpacking, shooting, buffing, trapping--are good fun.

Easy to learn, hard to master. I dig it. Haven't really played another game like it.

Looks and sounds awesome, too.

kingwingin

Is the audio in this game staticydistorted for anyone else? Sounds like garbage through my astros, especially when I'm the monster

MightyKAC

FYI if you live in Japan and are thinking of buying this game on PC then DON'T.

Steam has it IP region locked supposedly until March the 3rd.

Was REAL nice if them to let us know this HOURS before the games launch....

played 1 match so far as the assult class, i lost unfortuently :( but i liked the match, I'd play more if i wasn't so sleepy. I'm not going to sleep yet but I'm not in the mood to play more, I'll do some more matches tomorrow.

I'm just playing against bots now and its not too bad. I'm working on my Goliath and trying out new things, its probably 60:40 in favor of me.

The bots really aren't too bad at hunt mode, but they seem to forget about objectives in some of the other modes- especially the survivors one.

Man, I can't see giving up physical anytime soon.
Installations are fast from disc. Downloading stuff like the update even if it is only 3 GB, small relative to game install. Takes quite longer.

Any major changes from Beta build to post-launch patch build? Or a list summarizes it?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Installations are fast from disc. Downloading stuff like the update even if it is only 3 GB, small relative to game install. Takes quite longer.

What does physical have to do with size of updates? You're still downloading the updates regardless of whether you went physical or digital initially.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anyone had this weird ass glitch while a hunter where the entire map looks coated in weird shadows and you can semi-see through almost everything in the map? It happened to me and a few others in a party a few time and was really distracting. That never happened in the alpha/beta so it seems new, but I wonder if it's only on the XB1 version.

Just played my first game of Evacuation. I enjoy the mode and the modifiers are pretty cool but I'm in a bit of a weird place with it. We were beating our monster opponent pretty handily and didn't really need a lot of the modifiers, but when it came to the defend mission, he beat us. I don't know yet if that's because we weren't playing it correctly or if the huge damage handicap just wiped us.

I'll give it some more time to get a feel for it. Either way, the big experience bonus at the end is nice.

I've felt the same. I like it but the autobalance seems to get a bit out of hand as it can almost make it bad to win the first 2-3 games when it seems to give the win solely based off the 5th day despite who won the most. Though ultimately you get more experience from the colonists, so it's a little weird.

I was actually just doing it with a party of 4 co-op against the AI monster and we actually lost. Near the end the AI was this crack shot Kraken and the minions were just soaking up way too much damage to do much about.

RS4-

so far there is so much I don't really like about this game. It's gorgeous, but like damn. Bugs. My cursor disappears within 5 minutes every time I try to play. It forces videos on me that I can't skip out of nowhere... I'm trying to go to the main menu, and instead, it makes me watch a video of the goliath. Out of nowhere. So I can't skip the starting 5 videos, and then it makes me watch a 2 minute one before I even see the menu.

and the gameplay can be fun, but the "chase" part of the gameplay is probably the most bored I have ever been in a shooter.

I'm going to play it more and hope I warm up to it but right now it's like... I don't know.

Bounch, re: the cursor disappearing, just bring up steam overlay up and down to get the cursor back. But yeah, like every damn game, the stupid splash screens are so annoying. Not sure if you can simply rename them to skip, then again, there's always the chance that you'll just get a black screen to replace it and still wait the same amount of time.

minx

Wraith is super annoying th play against in hunt mode. It's hard enough to finally track it down with its decoy and searching for it while in the dome just isn't fun. We didn't have Cabot for dusk tagging. I didn't help that we had a bad AI.

With that said I am really enjoying the game and the intense moments are truly amazing but I really don't enjoy playing the game against the Wraith.

Edit: also will anyone be on late tonight XB1? How can I search for someone to send an invite?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Wraith is super annoying th play against in hunt mode. It's hard enough to finally track it down with its decoy and searching for it while in the dome just isn't fun. We didn't have Cabot for dusk tagging. I didn't help that we had a bad AI.

With that said I am really enjoying the game and the intense moments are truly amazing but I really don't enjoy playing the game against the Wraith.

Edit: also will anyone be on late tonight XB1? How can I search for someone to send an invite?
Wraith is too good right now imo even after the post beta nerfs to decoy. They need to lower her movement speed for starters. She can get away too easily considering her specials.

PusherT

Dome him and then get a bucky robort support to usa UAV will in the dome

Any major changes from Beta build to post-launch patch build? Or a list summarizes it?

Not to mention the physical edition actually came with a nice slip case cover :)

And a full sized colour manual - which I haven't seen in ages and never in a next (current) gen game. Even Nintendo don't do proper manuals anymore.

H1PSTER

Wraith is too good right now imo even after the post beta nerfs to decoy. They need to lower her movement speed for starters. She can get away too easily considering her specials.

I found her to be a lot weaker than the beta which was ace... The Kraken however is now an absolute pain in the arse.

Kajiba

I love this game alot lol. Playing for two to three hours now. Trapper and Medic are really fun.

I'm On Xbox One. GT: SpaceKajX

Definitely going to be playing this game alot if anybody wants to play.

DY_nasty

I found her to be a lot weaker than the beta which was ace... The Kraken however is now an absolute pain in the arse.

Kraken basically demands your party have some sort of snaring capability on top of the typical dome. I just got danced on something serious...

Haven't played online yet (will do so tonight), but what is a good starting class? I've only used Assault so i'm leaning towards that, but don't want to if there are already too many people favouring Assault. Just want something nice n easy where the team don't rely on me too much. I might get into the Support or Medic class a bit later when I get some experience and competency with the game.

DY_nasty

Haven't played online yet (will do so tonight), but what is a good starting class? I've only used Assault so i'm leaning towards that, but don't want to if there are already too many people favouring Assault. Just want something nice n easy where the team don't rely on me too much. I might get into the Support or Medic class a bit later when I get some experience and competency with the game.

Support is a great beginner class imo. Its a pretty well balanced kit across all areas and at the same time if you find yourself to be terrible you won't be handicapping your entire team.

I think a lot of Assaults don't realize how important they are to the team's overall DPS output and how that can bully a Monster around (and how that's important)

I'm getting really sick of spending 15 minutes trying to chase and cut off the monster only to be constantly slowed down by bumping into my allies or a stupid branch that you can't see. It's hard enough keeping up with th em when you have a shitty jetpack to contend with.

Why the hell couldn't they stick with the way it worked in left 4 dead and have you be able to walk through your allies? It stops you dead in your tracks if you so much as brush shoulders.

MAX PAYMENT

Anyone else feel like the monsters are pretty over powered?

Had a coordinated team of 4 and got out shit pushed in mOst of the time.

Anyone else feel like the monsters are pretty over powered?

Had a coordinated team of 4 and got out shit pushed in mOst of the time.
We played about 5-6 matches and only won once. Now I myself haven't played a real match before and playing Medic might have dragged the team down, but I felt like the Kraken/Wraith are both too strong.

Kraken has some insane damage and it flying around makes it insanely hard for people to get a shot on it. It doesn't help that all of the maps have a ton of trees and brush which the Kraken can easily hide around. Wraith isn't nearly as bad, but stills feel difficult to take down easily. It gets really hectic when it's warping all around you.

I'm kind of disappointed that the Kraken still appears to be really strong because he was also beefed up in the Beta and I guess they never did anything about it.

Nori Chan

level 19 been playing all day

#TeamTrapper I've gotten Abe's shotgun to level 3 and about to hit level 3 with his grenades....however 60 yard tranqs are going to be a bitch :( any tips guys

Daigoro

this game is pretty frustrating when you dont know what you are doing. i need to get over the beginner learning curve so i can see if i actually like the game or not.

feedback from guns and the jetpack feel off as well to me. not sure if its just because im distracted by the amount of shit im trying to figure out all at once, or what, but its frustrating.

definitely not feeling it yet, hopefully putting in some more time will reward me.

anyone else having party members getting kicked while joining?

yeah this happened several times today. day 1 crap like this isnt helping my frustration with getting my ass kicked by the monster!

Not to mention the physical edition actually came with a nice slip case cover :)

Yeah, its got texture!

What does physical have to do with size of updates? You're still downloading the updates regardless of whether you went physical or digital initially.

Speed.
More to download = more time
Physical is faster for me so larger files means an increasing discrepancy in time between the two.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Abe is amazing against the Kraken, damn. Guy's early game and general tracking is struggle as hell but the moment you find him he won't get away. Literally just chased one when a dome came down, pelting him with stasis grenades and following until the mobile arena actually recharged again. Keeps him grounded and unable to do much.

Top Bottom